Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Orlando Hotels and Attractions
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-31-2013, 02:09 PM   #106
ambiancetc
Mouseketeer

We just booked this resort from a private owner a few weeks ago and she forwarded me an email she received just yesterday. It reads:

Dear Guest:
Thank you for your recent reservation at Wyndham Bonnet Creek Resort. As you may know, the resort provides shuttle transportation to and from Walt Disney World Resort, seven days a week for all individuals staying at the resort. Effective Friday, Feb. 15, 2013, the Bonnet Creek Resort Vacation Condominium Association, Inc. will begin implementing a $12 per unit/per day transportation fee. The fee applies to all reservations, except those made for units to be occupied by deeded owners at Bonnet Creek Resort, CLUB WYNDHAM Access owners and CLUB WYNDHAM Presidential Reserve owners.

Sincerely,
Richard Scinta, Resort Manager

While I was not thrilled by this, disappointed really, the more I thought about it the more I "got over it". I've maxed our budget at this point but at the same time I have 3 months to save up another $168.00 and that shouldn't be too hard. We do plan to use the shuttles in addition to the car so that may be part of it. It also helps that we got a steal to begin with. I know what else it out there and for the cost, location, amenities and SPACE I'll book there again if I can get a similar rate. It's not the "OMG what a STEAL" but it's still "Wow what a DEAL" and I'm plenty happy to get a good deal!
Disney Make-A-Wish Trip for DS!
5/7 - 5/13/2012 -GKTW
Celebration of Life - Let's do it again!
4/19 - 5/3/2013 - WBC
Squeezing the piggy bank again!
9/6-9/13/13 - WBC & 12/3-6/13 - POP- Shhh surprise Mommy Daughter trip for A's Bday!
If I budget really carefully!
FEB 2014
ambiancetc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 02:11 PM   #107
DCTooTall
Thinks He Can Escape Boo Boo

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockin View Post
I have no issue with the new fee. I do have issue with the way they are implementing it. The communication to owners and the fee launch day are to tight. Also, all existing reservations/renters before the communication date should not have to pay the fee since they made a decision based on the price and promised amenities at the time of reservation.
That, I'll agree with you. I STILL haven't received any official communication from the resort, and I own AND have a reservation for next October. The implimentation timeframe, lack of notice, and issues with even getting a straight answer out of people once news leaked out is disappointing.

I will say however that Wyndham doesn't have an exclusive on the lack of notice before a new fee however. I've heard stories of DVC's removal of the free Valet for owners perk and it's horrible handling. Basically, DVC changed the policy effective Midnight.... So owners who Valeted their car for free the night before woke up to discover they owed $$ to pay for the Valet parking the previous night.
DCTooTall is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-31-2013, 02:29 PM   #108
Brian Noble
His Curmudgeonly Highness

To be fair, they don't really have to tell you. You own there; you won't be paying when you stay. And, yes, DVC didn't exactly go out of their way to let people know about the change in valet policy.

Quote:
The checkout procedures moving from a Timeshare-norm type policy to a much more hotel-like policy
I don't think this has anything to do with rentals at BC. Wyndham-managed properties have moved in this direction generally.

Quote:
I don't really expect to pay a surcharge if I use my Bonnet points to stay at their home resorts....
True. Just a few examples come to mind of things that other resorts provide to in-system but non-home-resort owners: the water park access at Glacier and one of the Smoky Mountain resorts, the Smuggs pass at Smuggler's Notch, etc.
Brian Noble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 07:34 PM   #109
saysay
DIS Veteran

What a bummer since we don't use the bus.

Maybe they are making you pay this fee .... at the parking pass desk cuz people were not getting parking passes and the salespeople were getting lonely.

Disneyland - 2009 Sheraton, 2010 Candy Cane Inn, 2012 Grand Californian
WDW - 2010, 2011, 2012 Wyndham Bonnet Creek, 2011, 2012 The Swan, 2012 POFQ, 2013 POR, Sheraton Vistana, 2014 POR, CR, AKL
saysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:30 PM   #110
spiceycat
Own at BWV, VWL and BLT
It happens every night on the Bay Lake side

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCTooTall View Post
I've heard stories of DVC's removal of the free Valet for owners perk and it's horrible handling. Basically, DVC changed the policy effective Midnight.... So owners who Valeted their car for free the night before woke up to discover they owed $$ to pay for the Valet parking the previous night.
DVC did not do this. Disney did. Disney went from using their employee to an outside service. Disney has a bad habit of not telling the right hand what the left hand is doing - until it is done.

DVC from day one has charged $95 per reservation for any traders (first II now RCI) mainly for the buses - but really also for the dinning, DME and some other things - it was first called a transportation fee (I think) then it was just changed to a fee. although some have say that if you get 2 weeks together in the same DVC resort - you are only charged the fee once.

sounds like WBC is per day.

might stay there again some day - but for right now still trying out the other II or RCI resorts in the area - there is a lot to pick from.

spiceycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 05:20 AM   #111
Swizzle
I ❤ WDW

RCI Exchange

Will those who have already exchanged their timeshare points through RCI for WBC (which includes use of points and an exchange fee) have to pay this additional fee for an upcoming reservation?

1987: Magic Music Days, off-site
1995: Honeymoon, Dixie Landings
1997: Shades of Green
2003, 2006, 2007, 2009: off-site
2010: Disney's HHI Resort
2011: Polynesian
2012: SOG/The Fountains (March), The Fountains (June)
2013: The Fountains (March), WBC (June)
Swizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 08:16 AM   #112
Brian Noble

Probably. RCI generally allows resorts to make these sorts of changes, and stays out of it.
Old 02-01-2013, 10:25 AM   #113
Brian Noble

Quote:
I STILL haven't received any official communication from the resort
Looks like they've fixed this. On the resort's home page, it states:

Quote:
Effective February 15, 2013, guests staying at Wyndham Bonnet Creek will be required to pay a transportation fee (per unit/per day) for the Walt Disney World® Resort shuttle. Please contact the resort for additional information.
RCI has added it as well, under the Urgent Information section:
Quote:
Resort Fees
Transportation fee is 84 U.S. dollars.
A few months ago, RCI also *significantly* increased the trade power required to exchange into Bonnet. In some cases, more than similarly-sized units at DVC.
Old 02-01-2013, 12:03 PM   #114
LadyBeBop
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Noble View Post
A few months ago, RCI also *significantly* increased the trade power required to exchange into Bonnet. In some cases, more than similarly-sized units at DVC.
I noticed it too. I'm glad I did not take your advice in possibly waiting to exchange into WBC. I made my reservations at the ten month mark (using my 2012 Wyndham points and about 8,000 of 2014 points).

With WBC becoming the go-to place for a cheap Disney vacation for non-timeshare owners, do you think that's the reason why the RCI trade power is so high? I still don't see Wyndham increasing the point value of a week's stay, so we can still use our Wyndham points. But I'm wondering, would it now be better to trade into DVC if you're using RCI? That's something to think about. I also own a week outside of Wyndham. I don't mind staying in cramped quarters....some of our RCI exchanges were pretty cramped.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1836 View Post
What? 2019 or 2020? Say it ain't so!

You must "sneak in a day" next year. That's an order!
LadyBeBop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 02:45 PM   #115
Brian Noble

I don't even try to guess why trade power fluctuates in RCI. We'll never know for sure, and it is pointless to speculate.

As to the Wyndham point requirements: no they will probably not change. It is *possible* that they *could* but it is unlikely.

In the past, I would have preferred a Bonnet exchange to OKW or SSR in many cases---lower TPU and no $95 Disney extortion fee. Now that Bonnet has comparable trade power requirements and just about the same fee, I'm leaning back to any of the DVC resorts.
Old 02-09-2013, 05:11 PM   #116
Fundytrail
Our 1988 Ticket

Just got this from VS

Dear Guest,​​Last week, we were notified by Mr. Richard Scinta, the Resort Manager at the Wyndham Bonnet Creek (Orlando, FL) that effective February 15th, 2013, there will be a $12 per day per villa 'transportation/shuttle fee', that will be applied to ALL NEW and EXISTING reservations, with the check in date on or after 2/15/13. This fee will apply to all reservations whether or not the guest utilizes their transportation service and regardless of which company the guest has booked through. ​​Please note, this is a new policy the resort is about to implement and was not in place at the time you made the booking. We had stated in our original quote that our price includes all taxes and fees, which was true of that time. However, with the implementation of this new Wyndham policy, that has now changed. This is a Wyndham fee that is due at the time of check-in, and is paid directly to the resort upon check. It would apply no matter who your reservation was booked through, such as Orbitz, Expedia, or even another private owner etc…​​We have contacted the resort and Wyndham corporate several times to get some clarity on this matter and there seems to be some confusion as to whether or not this fee will still go into effect. However, we feel it is best to notify our guests in advance of this possibility.​​We apologize about the inconvenience this may cause. Should you have questions or concerns about this potential fee, we have setup a special email account so that you will get a quicker response to your questions.​​mailto:fee@vacationstrategy.com ​​Let us know if you have any questions. We are here to assist you.​​Sincerely,​​Rick & Humaira Bourne​Owners Vacation Strategy, LLC

Fundytrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 05:45 PM   #117
puffkin
DVC Owner- SSR & AKV

Yes, I just got the VS email as well.

Veteran of 25+ trips to the World
puffkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 07:33 PM   #118
NHDisneyFan
Mouseketeer

This should answer the vacation strategies vs vacation upgrades debate moving forward. VU standing behind their contract and reimbursing for this fee.
WBC 2/11 and 2/13
POR 2/14
NHDisneyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 11:38 AM   #119
Fundytrail
Our 1988 Ticket

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDisneyFan View Post
This should answer the vacation strategies vs vacation upgrades debate moving forward. VU standing behind their contract and reimbursing for this fee.
The fact that VU was $668 more than VS for 14 nights I'm still $500 to the good

Fundytrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 11:49 AM   #120
aubriee
Chocolate always makes things better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundytrail View Post
The fact that VU was $668 more than VS for 14 nights I'm still $500 to the good
Same here. Even with the $12.00 parking/transportation fee, Vacation Strategys is still cheaper than the quotes I got from Vacation Upgrades for me too.

I also got the email yesterday from VS. I was hoping they'd absorb the fees like VU, but still feel I got a good deal.
aubriee is offline   Reply With Quote