Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Orlando Hotels and Attractions
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-29-2013, 11:37 AM   #76
SYDCOLEMOM
Mouseketeer

I also noticed on the Wyndham Bonnet Creek website it says "Effective February 1, 2012 $12 per unit/per day transportation fee collected at checkin for transportation to and from the Disney theme park"

ummmm either thats a typo or this has been in effect for over a year ???
Now Im really confused. We may just have to wait and see what happens when folks start trying to check in mid February

so far everyone I have spoken to (VS and front desk at WBC) have said it was only if you used the shuttle. That apparently is what WBC website says as well. Hoping for the best but expecting to pay the $12 per night regardless.
SYDCOLEMOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 01:04 PM   #77
DCTooTall
Thinks He Can Escape Boo Boo

Quote:
Originally Posted by infopurposesonly View Post
Are the Bonnet Creek shuttles equipped with wheelchair lifts? Would hate to be charged for transportation that we CAN'T use.
I believe most of the buses do, But I also remember seeing on the bus schedule that they say to give them 1hr advance notice of your using the bus to ensure that the bus has a working lift and can take you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by puffkin View Post
I am not defending VS and agree that they should now update their website...but the blame still falls on Wyndham exclusively and as far as I can tell there has been no "official" communication to owners. And since we haven't hit Feb 15th yet, no one knows for sure exactly.

I applaud VU for their steps to take care of their customers. However, for our March trip their quote WAS $300 higher than VS for our 8 night stay, which leads me to believe their profit margin is mcuh higher (allowing them more wiggle room to eat an unexpected fee like this). Even if VS does not cover the $12/day fee, we are still coming out ahead of booking with VU for our trip.

I'm an owner at WBC....With an existing reservation for next October at the resort. I have yet to be notified via snail mail, a call, or anything else about the impending change. I wouldn't be surprised if the big renters didn't know about the change either until people started calling them, since I didn't know about it until I started seeing some stuff on this thread.

That said... It appears there is still a lot of questions about the fee and who will and who won't be charged. I've seen several reports here and on TUG about it (as well as the Wyndham site for the resort).

Some say it's a daily parking and shuttle fee that will apply to all the rooms. Some say it's just for Shuttle usage.

Some say it will apply to everyone.
Some say that WBC Owners, Presidential Reserve Level Owners, and Club Wyndham Access [A trust ownership program that includes WBC ownership] owners won't be charged, but all other Wyndham owners, Guests, exchanges, and renters will be charged.
Some say that any Wyndham Owner would be exempt from the charge, and only Guests, Renters, and exchanges will be charged.

Unfortunately, as of right now, there isn't much concrete information out there.... So I wouldn't be surprised if we don't fully know what's happening until after the date it's implemented and people start reporting back first hand.

A couple other things to note.

1. This isn't really Wyndham's doing...directly. Something like this is usually enacted by the HOA, or in this case, the Board of Directors of the HOA. I wouldn't be completely surprised at the slow communication back up from the resort's HOA into the bigger Wyndham system's reps. As for what prompted the BOD to enact this change.... It could be a change in Wyndham's subsidies to the resort now that it's almost sold out.

2. Sadly, These kind of fees are not uncommon. Many resorts in the surrounding area charge for parking, or a daily "Resort" fee. Even looking within the Disney Gates, The Hilton, Waldorf, and Wyndham Grand all charge a daily self-parking fee. Even the Swan and Dolphin charge you a daily parking fee. It's pretty commonly believed that Disney hides the parking and transportation fees within their room rates [why else charge so much for resorts and hotels that outside of disney wouldn't command nearly that much $$]. Even DVC charges a $95/wk "Transportation" fee to anybody exchanging into the timeshare side of the resorts.

3. Within the Wyndham System, it's also not uncommon to see parking or transportation fees in certain resorts. There are some with limited parking or shared parking that will charge the fee to all guests. And there are some resorts with big resort fees that only charge non-owners staying at the resort.

As an Owner who has been going to this resort for years, I've see how it's become more difficult to get a reservation at the last minute, or how the resort has been negatively impacted as it's become more and more popular with the non-owner rental crowd. For most people here, the Pool Towel situation is probably the most obvious change that was enacted to help control costs [which are paid by the budget... which is funded almost exclusively by the maintenance fees charged to owners at Wyndham Bonnet Creek]. While i've yet to get any official information about the fee from the resort, I can see a few reasons for it's being enacted such as:

* The increase in popularity at the resort has put a bigger demand on the park shuttles. the fee would allow for improved shuttle service (similar to the hotel shuttle which is funded by the hotel's resort fees) while not impacting the maintenance fees charged to owners.

* The fees may help in slowing down the number of renters at the resort, increasing the ability for the resort's owners [and HOA members] to get access to the resort during more popular times of year.

* With the Resort sales almost completed, I wouldn't be shocked if Wyndham Sales stopped or started to cut back on the subsidies at the resort which they use to help make the resort more attractive to sell. For all I know, the Free Shuttle to the parks could've been mostly subsidized by Wyndham which would've forced either a dramatic increase in the resorts Maintenance fees to pay for them, or find a way to fund the shuttles by those who actually use them. (Many commercial renters don't actually own at Bonnet Creek, so if they went with the Maintenance fee route, the people you rent from wouldn't actually be impacted by the change)

* I kinda hate to say it, But from what I've seen at this resort and others, as well as from various online conversations, It's pretty obvious that generally the non-owners (renters) who stay at a timeshare resort don't have the same respect for the property as owners would. This could just be the result of their thinking of the resort as a hotel and not like a Condo. They don't tend to think about how the services or upkeep of the resort...to the extent of even the maid service... are paid for by regular people's fees and not by the name on the front of the resort [Wyndham]. Owners (Home resort, or exchangers) on the other hand tend to appreciate how even the simple tasks of taking out the trash and running a dishwasher before checking out can have a big impact on the budget of the resort, which is directly tied to money charged to other owners like themselves. This fee could be designed to help offset the increased costs this resort (and owners) have been forced to incur as the rental popularity has increased. (Examples would be the change in checkout procedures that removed the bed stripping/trash removal/ dishwasher run that used to be required at checkout... which in turn means more maid staff required to turn over the resort. Or damage/Vandalism caused by large groups who have rented rooms thinking of it like a party hotel..... or even the towel situation which was caused by people taking home pool towels. [People don't tend to think too much about taking home a hotel towel, but wouldn't even think about taking a towel out of someone else's home when they visit]

Either way.... Even at $84 a week, It's not going to be that big a deal when you think about what you are getting. For most people renting at Bonnet Creek it's been an absolutely amazing deal in getting a room larger than a comparable DVC villa for the price of a Disney Value room [or cheaper]. Even if you add that $84/week to the cost, You are still getting a large room for much less than you would pay for something even remotely similar onsite. So instead of getting an Absolutely Amazing deal, you are only getting a Great Deal.
DCTooTall is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-29-2013, 02:39 PM   #78
Upatnoon
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCTooTall View Post
I believe most of the buses do, But I also remember seeing on the bus schedule that they say to give them 1hr advance notice of your using the bus to ensure that the bus has a working lift and can take you.

I'm an owner at WBC....With an existing reservation for next October at the resort. I have yet to be notified via snail mail, a call, or anything else about the impending change. I wouldn't be surprised if the big renters didn't know about the change either until people started calling them, since I didn't know about it until I started seeing some stuff on this thread.

That said... It appears there is still a lot of questions about the fee and who will and who won't be charged. I've seen several reports here and on TUG about it (as well as the Wyndham site for the resort).

Some say it's a daily parking and shuttle fee that will apply to all the rooms. Some say it's just for Shuttle usage.

Some say it will apply to everyone.
Some say that WBC Owners, Presidential Reserve Level Owners, and Club Wyndham Access [A trust ownership program that includes WBC ownership] owners won't be charged, but all other Wyndham owners, Guests, exchanges, and renters will be charged.
Some say that any Wyndham Owner would be exempt from the charge, and only Guests, Renters, and exchanges will be charged.

Unfortunately, as of right now, there isn't much concrete information out there.... So I wouldn't be surprised if we don't fully know what's happening until after the date it's implemented and people start reporting back first hand.

A couple other things to note.

1. This isn't really Wyndham's doing...directly. Something like this is usually enacted by the HOA, or in this case, the Board of Directors of the HOA. I wouldn't be completely surprised at the slow communication back up from the resort's HOA into the bigger Wyndham system's reps. As for what prompted the BOD to enact this change.... It could be a change in Wyndham's subsidies to the resort now that it's almost sold out.

2. Sadly, These kind of fees are not uncommon. Many resorts in the surrounding area charge for parking, or a daily "Resort" fee. Even looking within the Disney Gates, The Hilton, Waldorf, and Wyndham Grand all charge a daily self-parking fee. Even the Swan and Dolphin charge you a daily parking fee. It's pretty commonly believed that Disney hides the parking and transportation fees within their room rates [why else charge so much for resorts and hotels that outside of disney wouldn't command nearly that much $$]. Even DVC charges a $95/wk "Transportation" fee to anybody exchanging into the timeshare side of the resorts.

3. Within the Wyndham System, it's also not uncommon to see parking or transportation fees in certain resorts. There are some with limited parking or shared parking that will charge the fee to all guests. And there are some resorts with big resort fees that only charge non-owners staying at the resort.

As an Owner who has been going to this resort for years, I've see how it's become more difficult to get a reservation at the last minute, or how the resort has been negatively impacted as it's become more and more popular with the non-owner rental crowd. For most people here, the Pool Towel situation is probably the most obvious change that was enacted to help control costs [which are paid by the budget... which is funded almost exclusively by the maintenance fees charged to owners at Wyndham Bonnet Creek]. While i've yet to get any official information about the fee from the resort, I can see a few reasons for it's being enacted such as:

* The increase in popularity at the resort has put a bigger demand on the park shuttles. the fee would allow for improved shuttle service (similar to the hotel shuttle which is funded by the hotel's resort fees) while not impacting the maintenance fees charged to owners.

* The fees may help in slowing down the number of renters at the resort, increasing the ability for the resort's owners [and HOA members] to get access to the resort during more popular times of year.

* With the Resort sales almost completed, I wouldn't be shocked if Wyndham Sales stopped or started to cut back on the subsidies at the resort which they use to help make the resort more attractive to sell. For all I know, the Free Shuttle to the parks could've been mostly subsidized by Wyndham which would've forced either a dramatic increase in the resorts Maintenance fees to pay for them, or find a way to fund the shuttles by those who actually use them. (Many commercial renters don't actually own at Bonnet Creek, so if they went with the Maintenance fee route, the people you rent from wouldn't actually be impacted by the change)

* I kinda hate to say it, But from what I've seen at this resort and others, as well as from various online conversations, It's pretty obvious that generally the non-owners (renters) who stay at a timeshare resort don't have the same respect for the property as owners would. This could just be the result of their thinking of the resort as a hotel and not like a Condo. They don't tend to think about how the services or upkeep of the resort...to the extent of even the maid service... are paid for by regular people's fees and not by the name on the front of the resort [Wyndham]. Owners (Home resort, or exchangers) on the other hand tend to appreciate how even the simple tasks of taking out the trash and running a dishwasher before checking out can have a big impact on the budget of the resort, which is directly tied to money charged to other owners like themselves. This fee could be designed to help offset the increased costs this resort (and owners) have been forced to incur as the rental popularity has increased. (Examples would be the change in checkout procedures that removed the bed stripping/trash removal/ dishwasher run that used to be required at checkout... which in turn means more maid staff required to turn over the resort. Or damage/Vandalism caused by large groups who have rented rooms thinking of it like a party hotel..... or even the towel situation which was caused by people taking home pool towels. [People don't tend to think too much about taking home a hotel towel, but wouldn't even think about taking a towel out of someone else's home when they visit]

Either way.... Even at $84 a week, It's not going to be that big a deal when you think about what you are getting. For most people renting at Bonnet Creek it's been an absolutely amazing deal in getting a room larger than a comparable DVC villa for the price of a Disney Value room [or cheaper]. Even if you add that $84/week to the cost, You are still getting a large room for much less than you would pay for something even remotely similar onsite. So instead of getting an Absolutely Amazing deal, you are only getting a Great Deal.
Excellent points
Upatnoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 02:42 PM   #79
puffkin
DVC Owner- SSR & AKV

My question is, doesn't VS and VU and other similar services still pay the MF fees on the points they are renting? Kind of like my DVC points...I am paying the yearly MF fees so what is the difference if I use my points or rent them to another family?

I do see the point about renters not being as "respectful" to the property as an owner may be, but I think that is purely speculative and hard to quantify.

Veteran of 25+ trips to the World
puffkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 03:51 PM   #80
DCTooTall

Quote:
Originally Posted by puffkin View Post
My question is, doesn't VS and VU and other similar services still pay the MF fees on the points they are renting? Kind of like my DVC points...I am paying the yearly MF fees so what is the difference if I use my points or rent them to another family?

I do see the point about renters not being as "respectful" to the property as an owner may be, but I think that is purely speculative and hard to quantify.
I'll concede that the renters being less "respectful" is purely speculative and purely my own opinion based off circumstantial evidence. It's also obviously a very broad generalization and doesn't apply to everyone. (And I'd like to think that especcially with the large DIS crowd, doesn't really apply on the same level as it might outside of the DIS).

As for VU, VS, and other similar services still paying the MF's on the points they are renting..... sometimes yes, sometimes no, and often not on the same scale as DVC.

For instance.... DVC is a MUCH smaller system. It's also not a deeded system (You lease, not Buy the real estate interest) and all it's resorts operate as a traditional hotel (the Rack Rate rentals you can book directly thru Disney), as well as the Timeshare side (The side operated by DVC which you as an owner book with your points). This results in several major operational differences between the DVC resorts, and Wyndham Resorts. Namely:

* The Rack Rate side of the resort can help subsidize services at the resort, thereby helping to lessen the impact for owners via their MF's.

* With the Majority of the DVC system being located within a relatively confined area (With the exception of Hawaii, DLR in Cali, Hilton Head, and Vero Beach, all the DVC resorts are located within the WDW property). This fact, combined with the much newer age of the system (the oldest DVC resort is only 22yrs old with OKW opening in '91), means you don't see nearly the same differences in MF's as you do in a much larger, more varied, and older system like Wyndham.

* With the newer system, You also have a lot of similarities with resort amenities within the DVC system.

With Wyndham, You have resorts that with Property Taxes and other items, Your MF costs can range anywhere from under $4 Per 1k of points, to over $7 or $8 per 1k of points. You have resorts built in the 70's, all the way to resorts currently still being built. Resorts in Hawaii, Ski Resorts, Florida, the Smokies, Washingington DC, etc. There are so many factors that come into play that for many renters, They end up buying old cheap contracts via resale at a resort with an inexpensive MF that they couldn't ever rent out or use themselves, with the express intended purpose or using as just "points" to rent out to non-owners at the newer more popular (and more expensive MF) resorts. For the HOA, it makes it much harder for them to justify spending several Million annually out of their own budget (funded by the fees charged to their owners) to pay for benefits mostly being used by non-owners using points originating at resorts their owners would never get any benefits from. [In Theory, DVC owners at OKW could vote to say anyone who owns DVC points from a non OKW resort had to pay to utilize the OKW amenaties.... but because OKW owners get just as much benfit from the rest of the DVC properties... as well as the fact most DVC resorts share amenties with an attached hotel and Disney also maintains pretty good control over the HOA.... it's just not gonna happen].

Then you also get into some of the core differences from some of the large renters. With the Commercial Renters, you generally have 2 different types of operations. Those who actually own their points (places like VU), and those who are more like brokers who get points from regular owners which they they resell (I believe VS works like this). For places which own their own points, For good or bad, They are actually helping to pay for the upkeep of a resort someplace in the Wyndham System.

For those who are just brokers however, It's no guarantee they are really even seriously contributing to the health of the overall system. Around here you'll constantly hear about how ruthless Wyndham sales weasles are, and how you should NEVER buy retail because people are literally giving away Wyndham contracts to get out from under the MF's. The problem is, You can't give away, or sell your Wyndham Contract until it's paid off.... So there are a LOT of people out there still paying off a retail contract, some who could not afford to utilize their points, and are still forced to also pay their MF's. So you run into some brokers who will approach these underwater Wyndham owners and tell them, "Hey! We'll pay you $4 Per 1k of your points and rent them out for you.". The owner is still forced to pay their $13 Per $1k purchase price, plus the $6 per 1k MF.... but they figure that the $4k per 1k this company will pay them to use their points is better than nothing since they can't use them, and can't get rid of it.

Between scale, locations, age, deed types, and everything else.. It's really hard to compare the Wyndham system with the DVC system.

(And for the record.... It was actually DVC who helped start these non-owner fees within the industry with it's $95 /wk "Transportation fee" for exchanges into DVC Properties at Disney. Prior to that most Timeshare resorts treated exchange company exchanges into their resort just like their own owners based off the idea that their owners would get the same owner-treatment at the resort they exchanged into. Disney changed the equation by charging non-owners an additional fee. )
Old 01-29-2013, 06:09 PM   #81
LadyBeBop
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCTooTall View Post
For those who are just brokers however, It's no guarantee they are really even seriously contributing to the health of the overall system. Around here you'll constantly hear about how ruthless Wyndham sales weasles are, and how you should NEVER buy retail because people are literally giving away Wyndham contracts to get out from under the MF's. The problem is, You can't give away, or sell your Wyndham Contract until it's paid off.... So there are a LOT of people out there still paying off a retail contract, some who could not afford to utilize their points, and are still forced to also pay their MF's. So you run into some brokers who will approach these underwater Wyndham owners and tell them, "Hey! We'll pay you $4 Per 1k of your points and rent them out for you.". The owner is still forced to pay their $13 Per $1k purchase price, plus the $6 per 1k MF.... but they figure that the $4k per 1k this company will pay them to use their points is better than nothing since they can't use them, and can't get rid of it.
So these brokers are pooling points from different owners, right? I thought that wasn't allowed. What's the difference between that and us two pooling our Wyndham points and renting a four bedroom Presidential at National Harbor?

Or are these brokers making sure that they don't mix owners (making sure that each week's rental is from the same owner's points)?

Quote:
(And for the record.... It was actually DVC who helped start these non-owner fees within the industry with it's $95 /wk "Transportation fee" for exchanges into DVC Properties at Disney. Prior to that most Timeshare resorts treated exchange company exchanges into their resort just like their own owners based off the idea that their owners would get the same owner-treatment at the resort they exchanged into. Disney changed the equation by charging non-owners an additional fee. )
I know DVC is one of the first. I also know there is another Wyndham resort that charges an outragous fee for use of their water park (although I think we would be exempt if we exchange through Wyndham). Who else does this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1836 View Post
What? 2019 or 2020? Say it ain't so!

You must "sneak in a day" next year. That's an order!
LadyBeBop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 06:27 PM   #82
DCTooTall

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyBeBop View Post
So these brokers are pooling points from different owners, right? I thought that wasn't allowed. What's the difference between that and us two pooling our Wyndham points and renting a four bedroom Presidential at National Harbor?

Or are these brokers making sure that they don't mix owners (making sure that each week's rental is from the same owner's points)?

I know DVC is one of the first. I also know there is another Wyndham resort that charges an outragous fee for use of their water park (although I think we would be exempt if we exchange through Wyndham). Who else does this?
Wyndham owners can no longer transfer their points to another owner (or rent them to another owner). So these brokers basically take over and utilize the owner's account to make each reservation and ensure that each reservation fits within the points available for each account. Vacation Strategies even has a link on their page soliciting Platinum and Presidential owners for their "excess points". http://vacationstrategy.com/owners-agreement/ There are other companies that do the same thing and maybe aren't as generous to owners as VS, or who even utilize some somewhat questionable tactics to solicit owners. (I probably receive on average 20-30+ calls per month from people trying to sell, rent, or help me 'get out' of my Wyndham ownership.... many of which are potential scams).

I'll be honest and say that I don't do a lot of RCI exchanges, so I'm not extremely familiar with the other ownership systems and their hidden charges. Within Wyndham I know one of the other big ones is the Smugglers Notch resort in Vermont. Wyndham Owners get a free "Smuggs Pass" while non-owners have to buy one or get the items ala-carte...... which is MUCH more expensive that the $84/week we are talking about here. http://www.smuggs.com/pages/universal/wyndham/
Old 01-29-2013, 08:36 PM   #83
disneyfireman
Earning My Ears

Did find this on the wyndham bonnet creek webite under amenities:

• All guests will incur a mandatory $12 per unit/per day transportation fee that will be collected at
check in. This includes shuttle to Walt Disney World ® Resort.

http://www.wyndhambonnetcreek.com/amenities.html
disneyfireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 08:33 AM   #84
Portugal1000
DIS Veteran

This July will be our 5th stay at Bonnet Creek. I am hoping the $12 a day fee isn't enforced as staying for 22 nights so alot of money. However, even with the extra $12, I consider staying at Bonnet Creek to be an absolute bargain. We only have 3 of us in a 2 bedroom but when I think we could have 5 more people for less than £100 (we are from England) a night it still amazes me. You would never find anything like this resort in England or other popular holiday spots like Spain for this price. It would be so much more expensive. We have stayed at SSR 3 times and whilst you dont have to pay a resort fee, you are paying so much more for a much smaller unit, then really you are paying for the buses, amenties etc.
As a side note, it always surprises me that there aren't more people from the UK staying at this resort. I don't think I have ever heard another English accent.
Dec 08 - All Star Sports, Wyndham Bonnet Creek, Hilton Grand Vacations Sea World, 21 Nights
August 09 - Saratoga Springs Resort & Spa, 17 Nights
Nov 09 - Wyndham Bonnet Creek, 15 Nights
Dec 10 - Quality Suites,Wyndham Bonnet Creek, Homewood Suites, 18 Nights
August 2011 - Saratoga Springs Resort & Spa, 19 Nights
July 2012 - Wyndham Bonnet Creek, 21 Nights - Hard Rock Hotel, 1 Night
July 2013 - Wyndham Bonnet Creek, 22 Nights - Universal Royal Pacific Hotel, 1 Night
August 2014 - Tradewinds Resort, 4 Nights - Universal Royal Pacific, 1 Night - Wyndham Bonnet Creek 18 Nights
Portugal1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 10:31 AM   #85
Janet Hill
DIS Veteran

Just received the following email:

Dear Owner:

As an owner at the Wyndham Bonnet Creek Resort or CLUB WYNDHAM Access owner, you are probably aware that the resort provides shuttle transportation to and from Walt Disney World® Resort, seven days a week for all individuals staying at the resort. Effective Friday, Feb. 15, 2013, the Bonnet Creek Resort Vacation Condominium Association, Inc. will begin implementing a $12 per unit/per day transportation fee. The fee applies to all reservations, except those made for units to be occupied by deeded owners at Wyndham Bonnet Creek Resort, CLUB WYNDHAM Access owners and CLUB WYNDHAM Presidential Reserve owners.

Sincerely,
Richard Scinta, Resort Manager
On behalf of the Board of Directors of
Bonnet Creek Resort Vacation Condominium Association, Inc.
Janet Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 12:25 PM   #86
skylizard
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet Hill View Post
Just received the following email:

Dear Owner:

As an owner at the Wyndham Bonnet Creek Resort or CLUB WYNDHAM Access owner, you are probably aware that the resort provides shuttle transportation to and from Walt Disney World® Resort, seven days a week for all individuals staying at the resort. Effective Friday, Feb. 15, 2013, the Bonnet Creek Resort Vacation Condominium Association, Inc. will begin implementing a $12 per unit/per day transportation fee. The fee applies to all reservations, except those made for units to be occupied by deeded owners at Wyndham Bonnet Creek Resort, CLUB WYNDHAM Access owners and CLUB WYNDHAM Presidential Reserve owners.

Sincerely,
Richard Scinta, Resort Manager
On behalf of the Board of Directors of
Bonnet Creek Resort Vacation Condominium Association, Inc.

I just received that exact same email. Although I am a WBC owner, it is still upsetting to see that fee for shuttles. What about those who drive and never use the shuttles? They shouldn't have to pay the shuttle fee.
skylizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 12:29 PM   #87
puffkin
DVC Owner- SSR & AKV

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylizard View Post
I just received that exact same email. Although I am a WBC owner, it is still upsetting to see that fee for shuttles. What about those who drive and never use the shuttles? They shouldn't have to pay the shuttle fee.
I agree! We will be driving so have to pay the $12 to subsidize others shuttle use Thankfully we are AP holders so at least we won't have to pay to park there.

Veteran of 25+ trips to the World
puffkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 12:44 PM   #88
aleksandr
Mouseketeer

I'll be staying at WBC for 7 nights this coming April. While I'm somewhat disappointed that this change was enacted, my overall feeling on this is that it is pretty insignificant in the overall scheme of things.

I've stayed at plenty of hotels and timeshares that charge resort fees, parking fees, and numerous other charges and fees. As long as you know about them up-front you should just factor it into the cost of the room so you can make a reasonable comparison. This coming April, my effective rate per night at WBC for a 2BR is $89.00. So now it is $101.00 with the $12 fee factored in. That is still an amazing rate for a 2BR unit ON Disney property. Heck, I've spent 2-3 times as much as that for a plain old hotel room before in various locales.

Comparing rack rates at a Disney value resort for the same time period is $109 for weeknights and $134 for weekends. I'd still rather pay the $101.00/night for the 2BR at WBC.

I think a lot of people's gripe right now is the lack of information over what this fee really covers and whether they use those amenities or not.

By way of comparison Westgate charges a $9.95 + Tax/night resort fee when staying in their units at Lakes. I've stayed their plenty of times and never used their amenities beyond the basic pool before and still had to pay the fees (plus their Internet access fee on top of it!).
aleksandr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 12:51 PM   #89
rockin
Earning My Ears

If you have a reservation in the system prior to today (the official "transportation fee" announcement) I would consider protesting the fee. The reason being is the fee was not officially disclosed to you at the time of making a decision to make a reservation at the resort.

Regardless if you made it through Wyndham or a third party such as a seller on ebay, Vacation Strategy, etc. the fee was not known about or disclosed, so therefore you should not be liable to pay it since it did not exist at the time you made the decision to stay at Bonnet Creek. You made a decision based on the price that was given to you and the policies and procedures instituted by the Resort and the board, which was free transportation to the park.

Wyndham and the Resort board should have planned and communicated this fee better. They should of announced that a fee was coming starting on a certain date giving everyone plenty of time to communicate and plan accordingly.

Also, it is standard in the industry to not charge newly established fees to those who have existing reservations prior to the fee launch date/ or communication date of the new fee. The fee should only impact new reservations after the communication date.

This seems like it was rushed, not well thought out and in bad taste.

Last edited by rockin; 01-30-2013 at 01:00 PM.
rockin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 01:02 PM   #90
skylizard
DIS Veteran

And can I just make it clear that as a WBC owner, I had no idea about this fee until the email I got today. I'm going to start getting involved on the HOA board and try to understand where this fee is coming from...
skylizard is offline   Reply With Quote