Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-14-2013, 04:32 PM   #91
mousefan2322
Earning My Ears

Who is coming next? Aurora?
mousefan2322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 06:12 PM   #92
Disney_Princess83
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mousefan2322 View Post
Who is coming next? Aurora?
Yes, Aurora is next. The rumour is she will be changing in May

Almost 6 Weeks at Disney.... it's Happened! October & November 2013! Trip Report and Food Review to Follow Soon

Starbucks has arrived at WDW! MK, EPCOT and soon the entire World!
Add me on Twitter: @OzGoofyPrincess
Disney_Princess83 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-15-2013, 11:03 PM   #93
monorailrabbit
Rabbits Rabbits Everywhere!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney_Princess83 View Post
Yes, Aurora is next. The rumour is she will be changing in May
Oh good heavens, she is my favorite... I will cry if it's awful... but maybe they will consult Flora, Fauna & Merryweather...
Old 02-15-2013, 11:06 PM   #94
monorailrabbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney_Princess83 View Post
I don't feel that Belle is, Cinderella looks like she's had cosmetic surgery, Ariel is far more heavily shaded in the new versions.
Old 02-15-2013, 11:25 PM   #95
gymnastgirlflips
Live, Laugh, Glove <3 VMK

I don't understand the need either. Has anyone ever even complained about the Disney Princesses? The point of Disney is that it's timeless. Everyone loves Disney, the movies, and the characters. It's been enjoyed by so many generations and if anything needs to be changed, it's the thinking behind the need for changing the actual princesses or other Disney characters.

If they're going to change anything, it should be to enhance meeting the princesses, which is what they've been aiming for at both Disneyland and the Magic Kingdom with their magical meet and greets (by Disneyland I mean the Fantasy Faire that's under construction right now).
Old 02-15-2013, 11:33 PM   #96
mrsksomeday
My Prince uses a power wheelchair!

If they change the look they can sell new merchandise to you even after you have already purchased all the princess items. Now the little girls will want the new dress, the new doll, the new shirt etc with their favorite princess. It is all about marketing and money.
mrsksomeday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 09:59 AM   #97
cindyfan
DIS Veteran

I understand to a point that Disney feels the need to update the princesses.
They did the same with Mickey over the years.

But...... My biggest problem with this (and I think a previous poster said it too) is that they all now look like Barbie dolls dressed to look like the princesses!
It's almost obscene to see that they are now so full-chested and with this tiny waist and all this ridiculous makeup!

Come on Disney! What are you telling our kids now with this "new look"???

Last edited by cindyfan; 02-16-2013 at 10:18 AM.
cindyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 11:50 AM   #98
Pier60
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cindyfan View Post

But...... My biggest problem with this (and I think a previous poster said it too) is that they all now look like Barbie dolls dressed to look like the princesses!
It's almost obscene to see that they are now so full-chested and with this tiny waist and all this ridiculous makeup!

Well said!
Pier60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 12:40 PM   #99
merbobear
DIS Veteran

DD5 and I were looking at some of the princess merchandise on the Disney Store website the other day, and her comment was "They are wearing a lot of makeup." A couple of them she said were "just ok" and others she said she liked "the old one better."

merbobear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 10:58 PM   #100
monorailrabbit

thought i would share. SUPER SUPER hate this. they look NOTHING like the originals in the films, are too skinny & sexy... updating? Please... If they weren't wearing dresses that nodded to their movies I would have no clue who they were! They all look the same - what an excellent image for young girls to strive for...
Old 02-16-2013, 11:05 PM   #101
Disney_Princess83
DIS Veteran

They look awful! It's like Barbie and her friends playing Disney Princess

Quote:
Originally Posted by monorailrabbit View Post

thought i would share. SUPER SUPER hate this. they look NOTHING like the originals in the films, are too skinny & sexy... updating? Please... If they weren't wearing dresses that nodded to their movies I would have no clue who they were! They all look the same - what an excellent image for young girls to strive for...

Almost 6 Weeks at Disney.... it's Happened! October & November 2013! Trip Report and Food Review to Follow Soon

Starbucks has arrived at WDW! MK, EPCOT and soon the entire World!
Add me on Twitter: @OzGoofyPrincess
Disney_Princess83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 11:26 PM   #102
snarlingcoyote
I know people who live in really carpy school districts

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoHo View Post
My wife and I like to play the bad actress game wherein we look to find the most miscast princess in the park. The pictures of the new belle certainly would win that game. She should be Jasmine.

Jasmine and Ariel are the most likely to be miscast in Disneyland. (although a couple years ago, DL had an honest to goodness Persian as Jasmine, she was perfect.) Aurora is almost always spot on, because it's SoCal and Aurora looks like a SoCal blond.
Pocohantas.

Oh wait. She didn't look American Indian in the movie, why would she look that way in the park?
snarlingcoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 11:42 PM   #103
dadddio
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cindyfan

I'm not sure what pics that you are looking at. The only drawn images of the princesses in this thread are in the first page. To my eye, the old and the new looks all have about the same chests and waists.
dadddio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 12:01 AM   #104
monorailrabbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadddio View Post
I'm not sure what pics that you are looking at. The only drawn images of the princesses in this thread are in the first page. To my eye, the old and the new looks all have about the same chests and waists.
I really tried to find a still from the movie with her in pink, but the effect is the same

Not a super young Barbie blonde...

To me, these aren't even close. It's alot about the faces to me too... The animators put such detail and feeling into the way they were drawn, now they all look the same, younger, with huge eyes... it just doesn't work for me...

Last edited by monorailrabbit; 02-17-2013 at 12:20 AM.
monorailrabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 10:12 AM   #105
dadddio
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by monorailrabbit

I really tried to find a still from the movie with her in pink, but the effect is the same

Not a super young Barbie blonde...

To me, these aren't even close. It's alot about the faces to me too... The animators put such detail and feeling into the way they were drawn, now they all look the same, younger, with huge eyes... it just doesn't work for me...
The post that you quoted was strangely about chests and waists. Your pics were all 'before' pics of slim waisted princesses and did nothing to challenge my point.

I get that many people don't like that changes were made, at all. Others don't like the drawing style. I get that. What I don't get is why some people a taking the position that the changes are somehow scandalous. I'm not seeing that, at all.

Still, I can understand the decision. Updating the live characters was needed, in my opinion. The costumes looked rather unnatural and dated. Updating the drawn characters also makes sense. Updating the characters allows them to be used in future projects. This is especially true if they want to continue to 'guest star' these characters.
dadddio is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: