Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-30-2013, 01:10 PM   #16
tzolkin
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ski_mom View Post
I've also been using Mint because I love how it tracks investments as well as credit cards, bank accts, etc.

What I wish I could find on it though is a way to put our money into "buckets" from our paychecks. Do you know if there is a way to do that?

I'd love to be able to say that this check contains $200 for vacation fund, $500 for house payment, $100 for eating out, etc. But I haven't been able to find out a way to do that.

Is it possible? Or am I just thinking about it all wrong!
I don't believe there is anything like that on mint.

You could think about it over the course of the month rather than for a specific paycheck. Then you could just set up budgets for those categories. For that month it will tell you what your total income was and then you could see which budgets that income went toward. Ex. $500 house payment, $200 vacation fund, $100 dining, and the rest left over for other expenses.

For something like the vacation fund you could set up a goal and add $200 to it each paycheck. Goals are nice because they fill in, so you can watch it grow until you reach the amount you set.
tzolkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 02:26 PM   #17
ski_mom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tzolkin View Post
I don't believe there is anything like that on mint.

You could think about it over the course of the month rather than for a specific paycheck. Then you could just set up budgets for those categories. For that month it will tell you what your total income was and then you could see which budgets that income went toward. Ex. $500 house payment, $200 vacation fund, $100 dining, and the rest left over for other expenses.

For something like the vacation fund you could set up a goal and add $200 to it each paycheck. Goals are nice because they fill in, so you can watch it grow until you reach the amount you set.
Thanks! I'll have to experiment with that a little. We basically have a few categories set up that we put money into each month and they take from them a few times a year - vacation, property taxes, auto and home insurance, etc.

The goals area might just work! Thanks for the suggestion!
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-08-2013, 11:21 PM   #18
richkaryn
Mouseketeer

we use mint dot com website and app. Love it!
March 2014- CBR DH, DS6, nephew 17, and myself
richkaryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 12:22 AM   #19
Tinkerbellie16
Certified Disneyaholic

I have tried to use apps but my spreadsheet has proved the best - for over 10 years! I think the reason it works so well is that I must track all expenses (and income) daily. So I HATE spending money because I have to update my spreadsheet Just my thoughts.

6/14 YC 10/13 Poly 5/13 Poly & BC 10/12 Poly 7/12 CSR/BWV 5/12 CBR 3/12 DL 10/11 Poly 5/11 VWL 9/10 Poly 3/10 Dolphin 4/09 Poly 4/08 BC 5/07 Poly/Cruise/ASMo 7/06 AKL 7/00 POR 7/98 DisIns 3/98 Off 7/96 POR +
Tinkerbellie16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 08:01 AM   #20
lajones81
DISneyLVR
I think you need to add more details to your story!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scbelleatheart View Post
For your Ipad or Iphone ? DH cannot find one he likes. Right now he's just using a spread sheet to record expenses because we have never had a budget. He wants to know how much we need to live on if we both quit working.
Any suggestions? TIA!
https://www.mint.com/
lajones81 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: