Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-25-2013, 03:15 PM   #121
robinb
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixiewings71 View Post
It's like Napoleon Dynamite, not everyone will like it but those who do know each other.
I saw Napoleon Dynamite and was completely underwhelmed. I think I went into it expecting too much.
Old 01-25-2013, 03:16 PM   #122
Ciao Mickey
Kind of makes you want to run through the house with scissors, doesn't it?!
I'm a blabbermouth and have no self-control

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotUrsula View Post
OK, folks, here is your homework. This weekend, find time to either read or watch The Princess Bride.

If you are an adult under 70 and have not seen the film, you are out of the loop, and are teetering on the edge of fuddy-duddy territory. If you have seen the film, watch it again and enjoy the good times. Watch it with your kids -- they will be running around pretending to wield a sword and quoting "prepare to die!" for at least a week.

The film is one of the funniest of all time, and has probably contributed more common catch-phrases to American culture than any other films besides (perhaps) Casablanca, the Wizard of Oz and the original Star Wars trilogy. The performances are classics, and it is on the AFI's list of 100 Best Film Comedies.

For those of you who have not yet done this assignment, THIS is the real Inigo Montoya:

(That would be Mandy Patinkin, age 34, in a really goofy wig and moustache.)

As to wearing the quote on a plane, meh, no biggie. Total over-reaction. Obscenity on a shirt is one thing, but this wasn't obscene in any language, and it is an easily-explained joke. The FA should have just told the "concerned" passengers that it was a tagline from a movie, and that it referenced a medieval sword duel.

I was surprised to read that men loved this movie and considered it a man-flick.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adVOW...yer_detailpage
Ciao Mickey is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-25-2013, 03:18 PM   #123
NotUrsula
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TifffanyD View Post
Oh oh but what if you have seen it and think it's dumb and have no desire to rewatch it (me)??
Then I'm afraid that I will have to tell you that your comedy gene is short an allele or two. Perhaps you should see someone about that.

I'll grant that taste in comedy varies (for instance, I don't care for the Stooges), but with a film that has a meme this universal, admitting that you don't care for it shouldn't preclude being aware that it is a cultural touchstone. IMO, cultural touchstones are always worth exploring, if only to find out why they resonate with SO many people.

FWIW, I don't care for the Godfather films and have never seen them in their entirety. However, I'm familiar with the often-quoted lines and their context, because I feel that understanding the cultural significance of the films is more important than whether or not I personally enjoyed them. Being part of one's culture always comes easier when one is not making a point of being an iconoclast.
NotUrsula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 03:20 PM   #124
TifffanyD
Agreeing and making sense are not the same thing
I need to reload

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixiewings71 View Post
"I'm not an ambi-turner" ya, that one kills me too. LOL
But you would know the quote if you saw it on a shirt, I mean "Luke I am your Father" LOL
hah oh, of course.

I like

"Mer... MAN!!!!", "*cough cough* I think I have the black lung", "I feel like I'm taking crazy pills!!!!"... oh, so many...
Old 01-25-2013, 03:20 PM   #125
abdmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiggeroo View Post
I do not think you know what this word means

25 great quotes from Princess Bride
abdmom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 03:22 PM   #126
TifffanyD
Agreeing and making sense are not the same thing
I need to reload

Quote:
Then I'm afraid that I will have to tell you that your comedy gene is short an allele or two. Perhaps you should see someone about that.

I'll grant that taste in comedy varies (for instance, I don't care for the Stooges), but with a film that has a meme this universal, admitting that you don't care for it shouldn't preclude being aware that it is a cultural touchstone. IMO, cultural touchstones are always worth exploring, if only to find out why they resonate with SO many people.

FWIW, I don't care for the Godfather films and have never seen them in their entirety. However, I'm familiar with the often-quoted lines and their context, because I feel that understanding the cultural significance of the films is more important than whether or not I personally enjoyed them. Being part of one's culture always comes easier when one is not making a point of being an iconoclast.
LOL yes I know the quotes and hear then regularly, unfortunately. I think I end up disliking it more bcz I hear so much about it and get even more tired of it. Just not my thing
Old 01-25-2013, 03:23 PM   #127
sam_gordon
DIS Veteran

Quote:

I've never seen the Godfather films, but I still know some of the oft-quoted lines. I just saw Apocalypse Now last year, but I knew some of the lines from that beforehand. I'll be honest, until this thread, I've never needed to know any Princess Bride quotes (that I know of).
Bay Lake Towers, WDW June 1 - June 6, 2011
Polynesian, WDW Dec. 29, 2008 - Jan. 3, 2009
Wilderness Lodge, WDW, June 2005
Polynesian, WDW Sept. 7 - Sept. 14, 2001
Caribbean Beach, June 1993
sam_gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 03:27 PM   #128
mhsjax
DIS Veteran

Quote:
OK, folks, here is your homework. This weekend, find time to either read or watch The Princess Bride.

If you are an adult under 70 and have not seen the film, you are out of the loop, and are teetering on the edge of fuddy-duddy territory. If you have seen the film, watch it again and enjoy the good times. Watch it with your kids -- they will be running around pretending to wield a sword and quoting "prepare to die!" for at least a week.

The film is one of the funniest of all time, and has probably contributed more common catch-phrases to American culture than any other films besides (perhaps) Casablanca, the Wizard of Oz and the original Star Wars trilogy. The performances are classics, and it is on the AFI's list of 100 Best Film Comedies.

For those of you who have not yet done this assignment, THIS is the real Inigo Montoya:

(That would be Mandy Patinkin, age 34, in a really goofy wig and moustache.)

As to wearing the quote on a plane, meh, no biggie. Total over-reaction. Obscenity on a shirt is one thing, but this wasn't obscene in any language, and it is an easily-explained joke. The FA should have just told the "concerned" passengers that it was a tagline from a movie, and that it referenced a medieval sword duel.
I will watch the movie. Maybe not this weekend,d but I will try, tonight in fact. If it doesn't work out, I will catch it next weekend.
mhsjax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 03:57 PM   #129
Ember
I've also crazy glued myself to many things
I'm calling it a victory. At least until next time

Just wait a little longer. Soon we'll all be flying naked for security reasons and these sorts of things won't be an issue.

Regarding the shirt, people have too much time on their hands. If it had said, "Scotty, two to beam up," would people be uncomfortable that the man might make interstellar contact and make off with another passengers child? Besides, I'm sure he only meant for the six fingered man to be mostly dead... Lol

Last edited by Ember; 01-25-2013 at 04:10 PM.
Ember is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 04:00 PM   #130
JennaDeeDooDah
My oh my what a wonderful day!

When Inigo Montoya and his famous quote becomes a threat to passengers on an airplane, the terrorists have won.

*1993 - CBR* *1996 - CR* *1999 - Poly* *2005 - College Program* *2005 - CBR* *2006 - Off site* *2008 - ASMu* *2012 - Pop* *2012 - POR Royal Guest Room* *2013 - All Star Sports* *2013 - Disneyland* *2014 - ASMO* *2014 - AoA* *2014 - WL* *2015 - POR Royal Guest Room*

JennaDeeDooDah is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 04:01 PM   #131
sookie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhsjax View Post
Yep, well I never saw the movie. Sorry, I don't find it amusing. NOt on a plane, not in these times. Just goes to show you, they will let anyone wearing anything on a plane these days. It is in very poor taste.
really???
sookie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 04:10 PM   #132
sookie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennaDeeDooDah View Post
When Inigo Montoya and his famous quote becomes a threat to passengers on an airplane, the terrorists have won.
Amen!
sookie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 04:13 PM   #133
ford family
DIS Veteran

Quote:

And the rest of the world has to be in tune with your culture?
Do you spell patronising with an "s" or a "z"?

ford family
ford family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 04:28 PM   #134
Mickey'snewestfan
DIS Veteran

I think that's an awesome shirt, and wish I had one for myself!

I also think that there are many people in this country, and undoubtedly other countries, who become somewhat irrational when flying due to anxiety. I can imagine, that for some of those people, who might be sitting on a plane doing their very best not to think about death, that shirt might contribute to their anxiety. Even though I do not think that, rationally, that shirt is the slightest bit scary or inappropriate, I can sort of understand why someone would have that particular reaction.

Given that, I don't think it's awful for the flight attendant to recognize the anxiety and ask, once, nicely, if the passenger happens to have another shirt handy. Now, to be clear, this is not a rational response. Clearly if the guy is a terrorist wearing an ironic shirt, he'll still be a terrorist if he changes his shirt. But, perhaps, not actually seeing the shirt will help the other passengers feel stronger and more able to handle the flight.

If the passenger responds the way he did, kind of laughing it off, explaining that it was a line in a movie, and explaining that he didn't bring a back up shirt, then I think that an appropriate response for the flight attendant is to go back to the nervous Nellies, and say gently "I just spoke to the gentlemen with the shirt. He's such a nice man! It turns out that the shirt references some movie for teenagers. In fact, when he said that I realized that I watched that movie with my sister when I was a teenager. I can't believe a forgot that! So, he's not dangerous at all, he's just a nice guy who likes funny movies. Can I get a pillow? A mint? Would you like some complementary headphones?"

I think that if I owned that shirt, and hadn't seen this thread, I might well wear it to the airport. It looks comfortable, and it might not occur to me that people might even notice the word "die". On the other hand, if it did occur to me I'd probably throw it in the suitcase to wear on a different day and choose another shirt. Not because I have to or because the shirt is offensive, but because, it doesn't hurt to be considerate of others.
Mickey'snewestfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 05:10 PM   #135
NotUrsula
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford family View Post
And the rest of the world has to be in tune with your culture?
Do you spell patronising with an "s" or a "z"?

ford family
Normally an "s", fwiw. The Princess Bride sells well throughout the English-speaking world, but yes, most popular in the US.

However, I didn't say that everyone anywhere should be familiar with US cultural icons (and I think I covered that when I said that the FA should have explained to the "concerned" that it was a film quote -- and if she did not know initially, she would probably have discovered it after speaking with the passenger wearing the shirt.) What I said was that this film is a touchstone in my culture, and that I feel that it is important to be able to recognize those, even if I don't happen to be fond of them.

By extension, that generalisation would apply to whatever culture one happens to live in. (For example, most Frenchmen have at least a passing acquaintance with Tintin, and a Frenchman who did not recognize the character would be a bit unusual.)

As for the "homework" assignment, that was tongue-in-cheek, of course, and aimed at the mostly-American demographic of this board. Still, TPB *is* generally considered by American film critics to be one of our funniest films, so I have no regrets about recommending checking it out.
NotUrsula is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: