Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-25-2013, 01:07 PM   #91
mhsjax
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Jacksonville, Fl
Posts: 8,549

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janepod View Post
It's the same poster who said beer at a wedding was "beyond tacky."
http://www.disboards.com/showpost.ph...&postcount=148

Meanwhile I'm the crackpot because of my views on bread and butter.
Yep that is me, total elitist. Total separation of classes. I mean really, if don't mind looking at people in their Pj's or dirty jeans wearing nasty flip flops with dirty feet, and they smell like they haven't showered, then great. But hey, if that makes me a snob, because I don't want to, and that is what was meant by letting anyone wearing anything on a plane, then so be it. The way I was raised, it meant I had manners.
mhsjax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 01:14 PM   #92
mhsjax
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Jacksonville, Fl
Posts: 8,549

Quote:
Originally Posted by TifffanyD View Post
Yes, I've noticed a lot of things this poster has said in the past... have even had some fairly nasty stuff directed at me.



Oh oh are you the one that said if someone butters an entire piece of bread it looks like they are making a sandwich???
Then put me on your ignore list. And what I said wasn't nasty. I am not an elitist. That shirt was inappropriate for a plane. Anything with a threat is not cool. If you think it is, then I am sorry, but I don't.

I also don't think it is ok for people to show up in dirty smelly clothes, dirty feet for a plane ride and yet I see this quite often. Yep I am a total rude snob. YOu caught me.

PS, I also have to say, that some of the people here are the rudest I have ever met. So no big deal, I feel your pain.
mhsjax is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 01-25-2013, 01:15 PM   #93
hiwaygal
Only someone as wonderful as Donna can receive my picture PM's
aka Roadie
They must have been men
Is it Friday yet?!
 
hiwaygal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: a long long way from home
Posts: 15,794

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhsjax View Post
Yep that is me, total elitist. Total separation of classes. I mean really, if don't mind looking at people in their Pj's or dirty jeans wearing nasty flip flops with dirty feet, and they smell like they haven't showered, then great. But hey, if that makes me a snob, because I don't want to, and that is what was meant by letting anyone wearing anything on a plane, then so be it. The way I was raised, it meant I had manners.
Ahhh...but that's a whole different conversation.

Being a snob is not the same as being offended. What you like or don't like is a personal choice.

However, when you ask someone to change themselves because you don't like something about them - that crosses the line. It's RUDE. If manners mean anything.
__________________
2005 - Boardwalk club level - Disney Wedding
2008 - Polynesian club level- Thank you David!!

The gift of happiness belongs to those who unwrap it.
hiwaygal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 01:30 PM   #94
mhsjax
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Jacksonville, Fl
Posts: 8,549

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiwaygal View Post
Ahhh...but that's a whole different conversation.

Being a snob is not the same as being offended. What you like or don't like is a personal choice.

However, when you ask someone to change themselves because you don't like something about them - that crosses the line. It's RUDE. If manners mean anything.
So are you saying that you are ok with people getting on a plane with dirty clothes and smelly feet? If I say I don't that makes me a snob. Well, ok. But that has never come up when the discussion of wearing flip flop to WDW has come up. Many people spout off about how feet shouldn't be seen and it disgusts them, they have never been called a snob. I just don't want to look at dirty feet and if I think that they should shower, that makes me a snob, well then so be it.

Now if you are talking about the shirt, yes I think it was in poor taste for an airplane, given the things that have happened. If that same person was wearing it out and about, I wouldn't think any thing about it. If that makes me a snob, well then so be it.

Manners also dictate how you behave in public. It works both ways, people seem to forget that. They are all to concerned about THEIR rights to do what they want.
mhsjax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 01:31 PM   #95
StitchesGr8Fan
DIS Veteran
 
StitchesGr8Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 3,532

I think that with what is going on in society, it is in poor taste. I know the quote, but a lot of people don't.
__________________
'86-offsite, '91-Buena Vista Palace, '92-offsite, '97-offsite, '98-Magic Music Days, '06-ASMu, '07-FtW, '09-ASMu,'10-POR,'12-Poly (Honeymoon!)
StitchesGr8Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 01:34 PM   #96
mhsjax
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Jacksonville, Fl
Posts: 8,549

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janepod View Post
Another person's choice of apparel does not affect whether I enjoy Disney or not. I am okay with any idiot wearing any idiotic shirt anywhere. None of my business.

Would I let my own kid? Of course not. But I'm not going to tell other people how to dress.
LOl, I am a snob and elitist, yet you call people "any idiot" But because you don't judge on WHAT they are wearing you are ok and a stand up person. Just peachy. Gotta love this place. NOT.
mhsjax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 01:43 PM   #97
Janepod
The new dinning plan is out. Need to get those ressies in!
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Fairfield County
Posts: 3,480

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhsjax View Post
LOl, I am a snob and elitist, yet you call people "any idiot" But because you don't judge on WHAT they are wearing you are ok and a stand up person. Just peachy. Gotta love this place. NOT.
Whatever. I'll give you an example. This person is an idiot:

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/...icle-1.1173342

Why do I think that? Because she's wearing an idiotic tee shirt out in public. To me, that makes you an idiot, moron, dumbbell, whatever. Same thing if you wore a KKK shirt, to give an example someone else used earlier. Either way, the wearer of the shirt is communicating some things to me: that they use poor judgment, that they have a juvenile sense of humor, whatever.

I didn't say I wasn't judging someone for dressing that way. Of course I am! But I also wouldn't deny their right to wear it, which is what this thread is about.
Janepod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 01:50 PM   #98
mhsjax
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Jacksonville, Fl
Posts: 8,549

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janepod View Post
Whatever. I'll give you an example. This person is an idiot:

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/...icle-1.1173342

Why do I think that? Because she's wearing an idiotic tee shirt out in public. To me, that makes you an idiot, moron, dumbbell, whatever. Same thing if you wore a KKK shirt, to give an example someone else used earlier. Either way, the wearer of the shirt is communicating some things to me: that they use poor judgment, that they have a juvenile sense of humor, whatever.

I didn't say I wasn't judging someone for dressing that way. Of course I am! But I also wouldn't deny their right to wear it, which is what this thread is about.
Well, I will give you that one, she looks like an idiot.


I also never said you should deny the person in question in this thread, the right to wear the shirt, I said it I thought it was in poor taste to wear it on a plane.

The picture you shared, it was in poor taste to wear to school, if she where older and she wore it to a gay bar, or parade, it probably be fairly appropriate. So I guess you and I are really of the same mind. It isn't the shirt, it is actually where the shirt is being worn. Shocking, isn't it. lol
mhsjax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 01:59 PM   #99
sam_gordon
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 9,555

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janepod View Post
But I also wouldn't deny their right to wear it, which is what this thread is about.
Really? Since when? Nobody has said the guy didn't have the right to wear the shirt, he just has to suffer consequences (if any) for choosing to do so... just like the young lady in the article you linked.
__________________
Freedom W. Caribbean June 15 - June 22, 2014 Video
Oasis W. Caribbean June 8 - June 15, 2014 Review
Barcelo Maya Palace June 29-July 6, 2012
Bay Lake Towers, WDW June 1 - June 6, 2011
Polynesian, WDW Dec. 29, 2008 - Jan. 3, 2009
Wilderness Lodge, WDW, June 2005
Polynesian, WDW Sept. 7 - Sept. 14, 2001
Caribbean Beach, June 1993
sam_gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 02:01 PM   #100
Janepod
The new dinning plan is out. Need to get those ressies in!
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Fairfield County
Posts: 3,480

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_gordon View Post
Really? Since when? Nobody has said the guy didn't have the right to wear the shirt, he just has to suffer consequences (if any) for choosing to do so... just like the young lady in the article you linked.
From the article in the original post. The wearer was asked to remove it.
Janepod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 02:07 PM   #101
sam_gordon
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 9,555

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janepod View Post
From the article in the original post. The wearer was asked to remove it.
But that doesn't violate his rights (assuming rights are the same in Australia). The airline has the right to deny boarding for (almost) any reason. That's what I was saying when I said someone has to live with the consequences of the choices they make.
__________________
Freedom W. Caribbean June 15 - June 22, 2014 Video
Oasis W. Caribbean June 8 - June 15, 2014 Review
Barcelo Maya Palace June 29-July 6, 2012
Bay Lake Towers, WDW June 1 - June 6, 2011
Polynesian, WDW Dec. 29, 2008 - Jan. 3, 2009
Wilderness Lodge, WDW, June 2005
Polynesian, WDW Sept. 7 - Sept. 14, 2001
Caribbean Beach, June 1993
sam_gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 02:09 PM   #102
mhsjax
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Jacksonville, Fl
Posts: 8,549

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janepod View Post
From the article in the original post. The wearer was asked to remove it.
Yes, was asked if he was able to remove it, but he didn't have another shirt. According to the report, the FA went in search of another shirt but never returned. Sounds to me like he did wear the shirt and was never "ordered or made" to take the shirt off.
mhsjax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 02:20 PM   #103
hiwaygal
Only someone as wonderful as Donna can receive my picture PM's
aka Roadie
They must have been men
Is it Friday yet?!
 
hiwaygal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: a long long way from home
Posts: 15,794

The fact that he was asked to remove the shirt because some people were "intimidated" is ridiculous. Period. He had just as much "right" to be there on that plane as anyone else.

If you choose to think someone is ignorant, stupid, filthy, crude, ugly, rude whatever because of how they look/dress that is your "right". To then go and point it out and tell someone that they are any of those things is even more rude and an infringement of their "rights".

I don't choose to let what someone is wearing intimidate or offend me. I may not like it or would not choose to wear it myself, but they are not me and I am not them.

If someone told me to remove an article of clothing because it bothered them I would kindly tell them they don't have to look.

edited to add: I put the quotations around "rights" because that is a tenuous argument at best. IIRC the Constitution does not guarantee any rights about what to wear or how to feel about something.
__________________
2005 - Boardwalk club level - Disney Wedding
2008 - Polynesian club level- Thank you David!!

The gift of happiness belongs to those who unwrap it.
hiwaygal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 02:29 PM   #104
sam_gordon
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 9,555

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiwaygal View Post
The fact that he was asked to remove the shirt because some people were "intimidated" is ridiculous. Period.
I agree.
Quote:
He had just as much "right" to be there on that plane as anyone else.
Unless the airline said differently, I agree.

Quote:
If you choose to think someone is ignorant, stupid, filthy, crude, ugly, rude whatever because of how they look/dress that is your "right".
Yes.
Quote:
To then go and point it out and tell someone that they are any of those things is even more rude and an infringement of their "rights".
No. I have every right to go to whoever I want and say your shirt is rude or offends me. That might be rude to you, but it's nowhere near an infringement of your "rights". If in a business, it's up to the business to decide if they want to do anything. If they decide to ask you to change your clothes or refuse you business, that's still not an infringement on your rights.

Quote:
If someone told me to remove an article of clothing because it bothered them I would kindly tell them they don't have to look.
And if a business (say Disney) said "Either change clothes or leave", you'd simply say "you don't have to look"? I'd agree with you if you're out in public.
__________________
Freedom W. Caribbean June 15 - June 22, 2014 Video
Oasis W. Caribbean June 8 - June 15, 2014 Review
Barcelo Maya Palace June 29-July 6, 2012
Bay Lake Towers, WDW June 1 - June 6, 2011
Polynesian, WDW Dec. 29, 2008 - Jan. 3, 2009
Wilderness Lodge, WDW, June 2005
Polynesian, WDW Sept. 7 - Sept. 14, 2001
Caribbean Beach, June 1993
sam_gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 02:32 PM   #105
mhsjax
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Jacksonville, Fl
Posts: 8,549

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiwaygal View Post
The fact that he was asked to remove the shirt because some people were "intimidated" is ridiculous. Period. He had just as much "right" to be there on that plane as anyone else.

If you choose to think someone is ignorant, stupid, filthy, crude, ugly, rude whatever because of how they look/dress that is your "right". To then go and point it out and tell someone that they are any of those things is even more rude and an infringement of their "rights".

I don't choose to let what someone is wearing intimidate or offend me. I may not like it or would not choose to wear it myself, but they are not me and I am not them.

If someone told me to remove an article of clothing because it bothered them I would kindly tell them they don't have to look.

edited to add: I put the quotations around "rights" because that is a tenuous argument at best. IIRC the Constitution does not guarantee any rights about what to wear or how to feel about something.
I think you are reading way, way, way, more into this than there really is. No one demanded that he take it off. These people were on a plane and the shirt has a threat printed on it. Now, if you hadn't seen the film, if may make you suspicious, especially on a plane. Sorry but that is just that way it is.
mhsjax is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:44 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.