Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-28-2013, 11:23 AM   #256
Granny square
Always planning a trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_gordon
There is a line and it depends on the clothing and where someone is wearing it. Someone has the "right" to wear a shirt with an obscenity on it. Does that mean a parent shouldn't say something to them if they go to a kids playground?

I don't have a problem with the shirt. I don't think it's the best choice to wear on an airplane. Does that mean I think he should have been kicked off or made to change? No.
Thank you. I agree with what you are saying.
Old 01-28-2013, 11:24 AM   #257
ICF
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam81 View Post
I would have been so scared! I am actually scared just reading it.
I hope you're joking.....
ICF is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-28-2013, 11:51 AM   #258
smkiya
Sorta new. ;) Still gets a tag
THREADJACKER ALERT!

The airlines should just issue a dress code for flight. Then no one would be intimidated, offended, or fearful of a person's attire. This is what this world is coming to anyway. No freedom of expression. Let's let everyone wear what the ones in charge tell us to, so everyone can be happy. No one will complain, and all will be right with the world.

Banks frown on attire that hides a person's face, and even have a "dress code" posted at the door.

Restaurants state, "no shoes, no shirt, no service".

If the airlines believe that someone who wishes to do harm on the plane is going to advertise it on a T-shirt, then just have a dress code stating that it is not appropriate attire for flight and you will not be allowed to board.

I personally do not agree that this is the right thing to do, and I can't believe he was asked to remove his shirt. But, if this is what they want, as a private company they have the right to post it as a rule/dress code. But, they cannot pick and choose who to enforce it on, they'd better be consistent.

Last edited by smkiya; 01-28-2013 at 11:56 AM.
smkiya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 12:01 PM   #259
TheSchragFamily
Mouseketeer

Telling him to wear it inside out would solve what, exactly? If people are nervous that he has some ill intent, hiding the words changes absolutely nothing. Seems ridiculous to me!
TheSchragFamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 12:09 PM   #260
DarthMama
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinkerBelled View Post
I can only hope that the flight attendant asked, "Anybody want a peanut?"
You have a real gift for rhyme.
DarthMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 12:10 PM   #261
disykat
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSchragFamily View Post
Telling him to wear it inside out would solve what, exactly? If people are nervous that he has some ill intent, hiding the words changes absolutely nothing. Seems ridiculous to me!

It gave him the opportunity to show that he wasn't trying to intimidate anyone. Instead he chose to make snarky comments about the pilot talking off his shirt. Personally, I'd be much more fearful of his behavior at that point! I really don't want to be on an airplane with people who are uncooperative with the flight staff.

For me, this whole thing isn't about what's on the t-shirt. I don't think that even matters really. It reminds me of the whole "hi Jack!" airplane joke. If someone said "hi jack" at an airport and inadvertently frightened someone and got spoken to, I would expect him to explain it was a misunderstanding - not say "tell the pilot I said hi-jack!" It's a situation you can either get out of easily or make a scene about and get yourself in more trouble. Why would you choose getting in more trouble?

As it was, they simply let it drop. He apparently wasn't satisfied and is talking to the press for some more attention. Personally it makes me question his motives for wearing the shirt. If attention is what you're looking for, I guess wearing a shirt with the phrase "prepare to die" on it on an airplane will get you some.
Old 01-28-2013, 12:14 PM   #262
DarthMama
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by almburr View Post
Beware of the R.O.U.S's!
The rodents of unusual size? I don't believe they exist.
DarthMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 12:32 PM   #263
Granny square
Always planning a trip!

"Question his motives for wearing the shirt?" Wth? Warmth? Because airlines, like disney, frown on nipples?

I can't imagine anyone buying the shirt for any reason other than inigo cracking them up. It is amusing to the people who understand. And really those people could care less whether someone else gets it. But it is inconceivable to me that anyone other than a paranoid nosy person would think it is a threat. And I am around both of those kinds of people on a daily basis.

Now I've hear everything...
Old 01-28-2013, 12:33 PM   #264
Mickey'snewestfan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_gordon View Post
I don't think the request to change the shirt was to satisfy the passenger who said something to the FA. I think it was to avoid OTHER passengers potentially saying something.
So, let's play this scenario out.

FA asks him to change a shirt. He says he doesn't have another shirt, is there a male employee on the plane who might have a shirt? Only the pilot, and he's the wrong size.

So FA asks him to turn the shirt inside out. Guy says yes.

Guy then gets up, and walks all the way down the aisle to the restroom. On the way a few people notice his shirt. 3/4 of them laugh but 2 additional people become scared.

Guy walks back from the restroom, more people notice that he's wearing an inside out shirt. They start talking among themselves. "Why is his shirt inside out?" I think because it said "prepare to die". What? "prepare to die".

More people become scared.

How is this an improvement? How did turning the shirt inside out change anything? In addition, the guy's probably feeling kind of humiliated right now. He's going to feel more humiliated when he gets off the plane, greets whoever is meeting him, and has to explain why his shirt is inside out or why there are deodorant stains on the outside of his shirt. Why is his comfort less important than that of the passenger who originally made the request?
Mickey'snewestfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 12:35 PM   #265
Mickey'snewestfan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granny square View Post
"Question his motives for wearing the shirt?" Wth? Warmth? Because airlines, like disney, frown on nipples?

I can't imagine anyone buying the shirt for any reason other than inigo cracking them up. It is amusing to the people who understand. And really those people could care less whether someone else gets it. But it is inconceivable to me that anyone other than a paranoid nosy person would think it is a threat. And I am around both of those kinds of people on a daily basis.

Now I've hear everything...
I'm sure he could have had other motivations. Maybe it was on sale? Or his Great-grandma sent it to him and he's going to visit her.
Old 01-28-2013, 12:38 PM   #266
Granny square
Always planning a trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey'snewestfan

I'm sure he could have had other motivations. Maybe it was on sale? Or his Great-grandma sent it to him and he's going to visit her.
True. I was merely flabbergasted at the thought!
Old 01-28-2013, 12:43 PM   #267
disykat
DIS Veteran

I was quite clear - I only question his motives for wearing the shirt on an airplane after his behavior. Had he shrugged it off as funny I wouldn't have thought a thing of it. Turning it into a big incident? Sorry, attention seeking at it's best.

You're so busy poking fun at people who don't share your viewpoint that you're not listening.
Old 01-28-2013, 12:45 PM   #268
sam_gordon
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey'snewestfan View Post
So, let's play this scenario out.

FA asks him to change a shirt. He says he doesn't have another shirt, is there a male employee on the plane who might have a shirt? Only the pilot, and he's the wrong size.

So FA asks him to turn the shirt inside out. Guy says yes.

Guy then gets up, and walks all the way down the aisle to the restroom. On the way a few people notice his shirt. 3/4 of them laugh but 2 additional people become scared.

Guy walks back from the restroom, more people notice that he's wearing an inside out shirt. They start talking among themselves. "Why is his shirt inside out?" I think because it said "prepare to die". What? "prepare to die".

More people become scared.

How is this an improvement? How did turning the shirt inside out change anything? In addition, the guy's probably feeling kind of humiliated right now. He's going to feel more humiliated when he gets off the plane, greets whoever is meeting him, and has to explain why his shirt is inside out or why there are deodorant stains on the outside of his shirt. Why is his comfort less important than that of the passenger who originally made the request?
I never said I agreed with the request. I was simply posing a possible explanation for the request. Here's how I think it should have played out (assuming you have a "worried" passenger, I wouldn't have said anything)...

Passenger: Miss, I noticed a passenger's shirt said "Prepare to die" on it. Should I be worried?
FA: I'll check. <walks to passenger with shirt & reads shirt>
FA: Sir, another passenger has asked about "Prepare to die" written on your shirt.
Passenger: Oh, it's a line from my favorite movie "The Princess Bride".
FA: Oh, OK <walks to first passenger>
FA: Apparently it's a quote from a movie... "The Princess Bride"
Passenger: Oh, I'm not familiar with the movie. Thank you.

I've said before I think the FA went a little overboard in asking him to change shirts. But I don't think the guy made the best decision in choosing that shirt to wear on the plane. Yes, he has every right to, but that doesn't mean I have to agree with it.
Polynesian, WDW Dec. 29, 2008 - Jan. 3, 2009
Wilderness Lodge, WDW, June 2005
Polynesian, WDW Sept. 7 - Sept. 14, 2001
Caribbean Beach, June 1993
sam_gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 12:55 PM   #269
Mickey'snewestfan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disykat View Post
I was quite clear - I only question his motives for wearing the shirt on an airplane after his behavior. Had he shrugged it off as funny I wouldn't have thought a thing of it. Turning it into a big incident? Sorry, attention seeking at it's best.

You're so busy poking fun at people who don't share your viewpoint that you're not listening.
Where are you getting that he turned it into a big incident?
Old 01-28-2013, 12:57 PM   #270
Granny square
Always planning a trip!

Ftr, the original time this happened I find it ridiculous for it to have been a preconceived let me try to scare people choice. NOW, I do know an element that would try it to prove a point at this point.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: