Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-28-2013, 10:33 AM   #241
robinb
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cluvsdisney View Post
No, who else would he borrow a shirt from? The airline asked him to change his shirt, the airline should provide a different shirt.
So he's supposed to borrow a shirt from the person flying the plane? Who thinks that? I want the pilot's shirt! What a jerk. If he didn't have any clothes in his carry-on he could have turned the t-shirt inside out. I guess they could have also removed him and his baggage from the plane and insisted that he change (like the link I provided earlier). Luckily for him they just ignored him instead.
Old 01-28-2013, 10:35 AM   #242
Granny square
Always planning a trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinb
So he's supposed to borrow a shirt from the person flying the plane? Who thinks that? I want the pilot's shirt! What a jerk. If he didn't have any clothes in his carry-on he could have turned the t-shirt inside out. I guess they could have also removed him and his baggage from the plane and insisted that he change (like the link I provided earlier). Luckily for him they just ignored him instead.
Flipping the shirt doesn't make him a different person. So what does it matter?

I agree though, snarky request.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-28-2013, 10:42 AM   #243
cluvsdisney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinb View Post
I don't know. The pilot is the person in authority. If the FA was a female, that would be next person I would think of. Maybe since I think it's odd to ask someone to change their shirt in the first place but that's just where my mind would go if I was caught off guard with what I consider a strange request.
cluvsdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 10:43 AM   #244
Granny square
Always planning a trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granny square

Flipping the shirt doesn't make him a different person. So what does it matter?

I agree though, snarky request.
I, btw, have been know to be snarky or respond sarcastically to ridiculous requests myself.

Ridiculous because flipping shirt or changing does not change the person or intent.
Old 01-28-2013, 10:59 AM   #245
cluvsdisney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granny square View Post
I, btw, have been know to be snarky or respond sarcastically to ridiculous requests myself.

Ridiculous because flipping shirt or changing does not change the person or intent.
This is why I don't really understand how changing his shirt would make a difference. If he put on a shirt that said "I'm giving everyone on this plane a million dollars" doesn't mean he is actually going to do that either.

The offended parties already saw the shirt so the "damage" has been done. They can't un-see it. The shirt will continue to exist on the plane whether he's wearing it or sticks it in his bag. And it's not as though the offended party was sitting next to the guy and had to look at the shirt for the entire flight and wonder if they are prepared to die or not.
Old 01-28-2013, 11:11 AM   #246
sam_gordon
DIS Veteran

Quote:
It is just who one wants to relate to. You chose the person complaining. I choose the one being picked upon. The worrier wasn't concerned about the wearer's feelings. They had no problem jumping to the worst possible conclusion about a complete stranger.
Jump to conclusions much? First, I don't see the FA's request as "being picked on". A strange request? Sure. But not "picked on". Second, you have no idea what the "worrier" was or wasn't concerned about or what conclusions they made.

But it's ok to make bad assumptions about the "worrier", but the "worrier" shouldn't make bad conclusions about a passenger?
Bay Lake Towers, WDW June 1 - June 6, 2011
Polynesian, WDW Dec. 29, 2008 - Jan. 3, 2009
Wilderness Lodge, WDW, June 2005
Polynesian, WDW Sept. 7 - Sept. 14, 2001
Caribbean Beach, June 1993
sam_gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 11:12 AM   #247
sam_gordon
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cluvsdisney View Post
This is why I don't really understand how changing his shirt would make a difference. If he put on a shirt that said "I'm giving everyone on this plane a million dollars" doesn't mean he is actually going to do that either.

The offended parties already saw the shirt so the "damage" has been done. They can't un-see it. The shirt will continue to exist on the plane whether he's wearing it or sticks it in his bag. And it's not as though the offended party was sitting next to the guy and had to look at the shirt for the entire flight and wonder if they are prepared to die or not.
I don't think the request to change the shirt was to satisfy the passenger who said something to the FA. I think it was to avoid OTHER passengers potentially saying something.
Old 01-28-2013, 11:14 AM   #248
Granny square
Always planning a trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_gordon
Jump to conclusions much? First, I don't see the FA's request as "being picked on". A strange request? Sure. But not "picked on". Second, you have no idea what the "worrier" was or wasn't concerned about or what conclusions they made.

But it's ok to make bad assumptions about the "worrier", but the "worrier" shouldn't make bad conclusions about a passenger?
Eh, I've already said it is an issue where one picks the side they relate to. And the the snarky complainee has had a lot if judgments against him to.

I've also said I was just guessing about the thought process. That is all anyone is doing.
Old 01-28-2013, 12:01 PM   #249
cluvsdisney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_gordon View Post
I don't think the request to change the shirt was to satisfy the passenger who said something to the FA. I think it was to avoid OTHER passengers potentially saying something.
Perhaps. If the FA suggested he turn the shirt inside out so no one else would be intimidated, maybe that would be the reason but it wasn't suggested and according to the article the FA never went back to the guy so I think it was more to satisfy the passenger(s) who they know were offended.
Old 01-28-2013, 12:08 PM   #250
Granny square
Always planning a trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cluvsdisney

Perhaps. If the FA suggested he turn the shirt inside out so no one else would be intimidated, maybe that would be the reason but it wasn't suggested and according to the article the FA never went back to the guy so I think it was more to satisfy the passenger(s) who they know were offended.
With all the issues and people they have to deal with I would guess that you are correct.

I still wonder what the original complainer wanted to happen.
Old 01-28-2013, 12:09 PM   #251
Sam81
Mouseketeer

I'm with the passengers. I would have been so scared! I am actually scared just reading it.
Sam81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 12:16 PM   #252
RadioNate
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam81
I'm with the passengers. I would have been so scared! I am actually scared just reading it.
You are scared reading a t-shirt?

To the other point. What good does changing do other than possibly saving the FAs some additional grief? If there was REAL harm or danger the t-shirt isn't going to matter.

I don't think that it is a matter of being courteous to others...it isn't like there is a vulgar or obscene graphic on the T.
Old 01-28-2013, 12:18 PM   #253
declansdad
DIS Dad#639
Still waiting for his first one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam81 View Post

What exactly would make this scary to you? I'm curious.
ASM - March 2004 --- POP - July 2005 --- POP and the Poly - August 2007 --- CBR - Aug 2008 --- POFQ August 2009--- POP Christmas 2010--- POFQ Aug 2011 --- Disney Dream and MK March 2013 --- EPCOT F&G March 2013 --- Pop July 2013 --- AK March 2014

me dw (pooksma) ds
DIS Dads Club Member #639

Our WDW photos on Photobucket, Our WDW photos on Flickr

declansdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 12:18 PM   #254
Granny square
Always planning a trip!

I have a question, not meant to be offensive, but because I am curious. I buy my kids ts like this, thinkgeek being one of our favorite websites ever. I'm raising nerds, what can I say?! But there are other clothing choices that can be considered offensive.

Do you tell your kids to never stand up for their "right" (not exactly the word i'm searching for) to enjoy expressing themselves in their clothing. People are saying that the wearer should have basically just rolled over because of misinformed concern.

I don't know where I stand entirely in walking this line.
Old 01-28-2013, 12:22 PM   #255
sam_gordon
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I have a question, not meant to be offensive, but because I am curious. I buy my kids ts like this, thinkgeek being one of our favorite websites ever. I'm raising nerds, what can I say?! But there are other clothing choices that can be considered offensive.

Do you tell your kids to never stand up for their "right" (not exactly the word i'm searching for) to enjoy expressing themselves in their clothing. People are saying that the wearer should have basically just rolled over because of misinformed concern.

I don't know where I stand entirely in walking this line.
There is a line and it depends on the clothing and where someone is wearing it. Someone has the "right" to wear a shirt with an obscenity on it. Does that mean a parent shouldn't say something to them if they go to a kids playground?

I don't have a problem with the shirt. I don't think it's the best choice to wear on an airplane. Does that mean I think he should have been kicked off or made to change? No.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: