Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-28-2013, 07:37 AM   #226
Granny square
Always planning a trip!

No, I know her. I would not guess that your kid has a fear of white rabbits and not wear one either.

I don't want to have to think of every possible negative situation every time I get dressed. People, wear tshirts for fun. Just because I don't like it or agree with it or understand it, it is up to me to deal with my feelings and opinions not up to you to change your clothes and bow to my insecurities.
Old 01-28-2013, 07:53 AM   #227
JennaDeeDooDah
My oh my what a wonderful day!

If I wore a shirt that says, "Bring back Snow White's Scary Adventures", would people worry that I was saying that the plane was going to go on a scary adventure? If I wore a shirt for Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, would people think that I was threatening them? The terrorists want us to live in fear and it certainly looks like their mission is accomplished.

JennaDeeDooDah is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-28-2013, 07:59 AM   #228
Granny square
Always planning a trip!

You'd best run...the nerds are going to take over!
Old 01-28-2013, 08:03 AM   #229
Granny square
Always planning a trip!

Weapons, oh no!! Oh wait the New Zealander would have recognized them and not been frightened...
Old 01-28-2013, 08:27 AM   #230
Mickey'snewestfan
DIS Veteran

I have an honest question for people who are anxious about flying.

If you found this shirt anxiety provoking, would that anxiety diminish when the wearer took it off? If so, how would that work? Would you think "See, that's proof that he wasn't a terrorist afterall, because terrorists don't take off their shirts when you ask nicely". Or would you think "Gee, that flight attendant was persuasive, I bet she can convince him to forgo violence too". Or is it simply that looking at something that references death is scary, and once it's out of sight you can put it out of mind?

If taking off the shirt would make a difference for you in the moment, does the logic still make sense when you reflect on it later? Or does it seem irrational in retrospect?

I love the shirt, but now that I know that it would make people uncomfortable on a plane I'd probably not wear it there. I'm a nice person, I don't want to make people uncomfortable. But if I made the mistake of wearing it, I don't understand how taking it off would fix anything once it has already been seen.
Mickey'snewestfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 08:29 AM   #231
Granny square
Always planning a trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey'snewestfan
I have an honest question for people who are anxious about flying.

If you found this shirt anxiety provoking, would that anxiety diminish when the wearer took it off? If so, how would that work? Would you think "See, that's proof that he wasn't a terrorist afterall, because terrorists don't take off their shirts when you ask nicely". Or would you think "Gee, that flight attendant was persuasive, I bet she can convince him to forgo violence too". Or is it simply that looking at something that references death is scary, and once it's out of sight you can put it out of mind?

If taking off the shirt would make a difference for you in the moment, does the logic still make sense when you reflect on it later? Or does it seem irrational in retrospect?

I love the shirt, but now that I know that it would make people uncomfortable on a plane I'd probably not wear it there. I'm a nice person, I don't want to make people uncomfortable. But if I made the mistake of wearing it, I don't understand how taking it off would fix anything once it has already been seen.
Well said.
Old 01-28-2013, 08:33 AM   #232
sam_gordon
DIS Veteran

Do we know the passenger who "complained" about the shirt asked for the shirt to be removed? Or did the FA take it upon herself to ask the wearer to change so as not to possibly upset someone else?
Bay Lake Towers, WDW June 1 - June 6, 2011
Polynesian, WDW Dec. 29, 2008 - Jan. 3, 2009
Wilderness Lodge, WDW, June 2005
Polynesian, WDW Sept. 7 - Sept. 14, 2001
Caribbean Beach, June 1993
sam_gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 08:35 AM   #233
Granny square
Always planning a trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_gordon
Do we know the passenger who "complained" about the shirt asked for the shirt to be removed? Or did the FA take it upon herself to ask the wearer to change so as not to possibly upset someone else?
No clue. Wonder if he wanted the person removed from the plane? I gather it didn't bother him enough to get off the plane himself.
Old 01-28-2013, 09:09 AM   #234
robinb
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey'snewestfan View Post
I'm not a nervous flyer, but I think that complying with the request to remove/change the t-shirt would have been an acknowledgement that he made a mistake that made someone uncomfortable. Nice people (like you) would make an effort to smooth things over once they knew they upset someone. Instead, he thumbed his nose at them. For me, the issue is not that he wore the t-shirt or that people were offended by it. The issue for me was his reaction to the request.
robinb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 09:09 AM   #235
ford family
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennaDeeDooDah View Post
If I wore a shirt that says, "Bring back Snow White's Scary Adventures", would people worry that I was saying that the plane was going to go on a scary adventure? If I wore a shirt for Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, would people think that I was threatening them? The terrorists want us to live in fear and it certainly looks like their mission is accomplished.
Reductio ad absurdum

ford family
ford family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 09:15 AM   #236
Mickey'snewestfan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinb
I'm not a nervous flyer, but I think that complying with the request to remove/change the t-shirt would have been an acknowledgement that he made a mistake that made someone uncomfortable. Nice people (like you) would make an effort to smooth things over once they knew they upset someone. Instead, he thumbed his nose at them. For me, the issue is not that he wore the t-shirt or that people were offended by it. The issue for me was his reaction to the request.
His reaction was to explain that he didn't have another shirt and to ask if the pilot had one to share. If he didn't have a spare shirt what should he have done?
Mickey'snewestfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 09:16 AM   #237
cluvsdisney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinb View Post
I didn't get that from the article at all. He didn't have another shirt and asked to borrow one from the pilot. To me, it sounds like he would have complied but didn't get the chance since he can't sit there with no shirt and he wasn't given another one to wear.
cluvsdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 09:20 AM   #238
robinb
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey'snewestfan View Post
His reaction was to explain that he didn't have another shirt and to ask if the pilot had one to share. If he didn't have a spare shirt what should he have done?
Quote:
Originally Posted by cluvsdisney View Post
I didn't get that from the article at all. He didn't have another shirt and asked to borrow one from the pilot. To me, it sounds like he would have complied but didn't get the chance since he can't sit there with no shirt and he wasn't given another one to wear.
Really? You don't think that asking to borrow a shirt from the pilot was snarky?
robinb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 09:26 AM   #239
cluvsdisney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinb View Post
Really? You don't think that asking to borrow a shirt from the pilot was snarky?
No, who else would he borrow a shirt from? The airline asked him to change his shirt, the airline should provide a different shirt.
cluvsdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 09:27 AM   #240
Granny square
Always planning a trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinb
It is just who one wants to relate to. You chose the person complaining. I choose the one being picked upon. The worrier wasn't concerned about the wearer's feelings. They had no problem jumping to the worst possible conclusion about a complete stranger.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: