Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-27-2013, 11:49 PM   #211
JessB320
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by almburr
Beware of the R.O.U.S's!
Love it
JessB320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 06:14 AM   #212
Granny square
Always planning a trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford family

There are many non native English speakers in Australia and New Zealand whose language skills could well translate "prepare to die" but not the rest and who, like most non North Americans would have no clue about the film being referenced.

Anyway, what I think and what you think is totally irrelevant, the person on the plane was disturbed by what they saw and spoke to a flight attendant about it.

All of you so wonderfully immersed in this "iconic" piece of your "pop culture" are the ones making a mountain out of a molehill. You know the film inside out whilst others have never heard of it.

No big deal, try and get over it without being so defensive.

ford family
I'm not defensive of anything. I don't give a rat's heinie if someone has seen or likes the movie.

I am offended by the fact that the fools in the world apparently can cause all kinds of issues for other people and that is becoming the norm.

As dad as the whole English language issue, if you can read the tiny half cursive script on a person's shirt then you are literate enough to be able to see it is a mass marketed printed shirt and understand that just because you don't get it doesn't mean it is a problem.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-28-2013, 06:44 AM   #213
portia9
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessBelle39 View Post
We were talking about this last night at a BBQ at home. Of the 20 or so Australian's at the table, not one of us had ever heard of this movie. So its not inconcievable to think that other Australian's had not either.
I've just googled the movie to find out what it was about. It was released in 1987 and said that it made 30.8million at the box office (considered a flop), predominantly in the US and Canada. It wasn't until it made it to video that it became popular, again in the US and Canada. I would expect that there were many on that plane, probably the majority, that didn't know of its existance.
I'm Australian too and I have a few friends that know this movie and quote it.

2013 Reading Challenge. Goal 100. Read 149.
2014 Reading Challenge. Goal 100. Read 115.

2014 Top 3

The Collected Works of A.J.Fikry by Gabrielle Zevin
The Rosie Project by Graeme Simsion
Speaking From Among The Bones by Alan Bradley

portia9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 06:50 AM   #214
sam_gordon
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granny square View Post
I am offended by the fact that the fools in the world apparently can cause all kinds of issues for other people and that is becoming the norm.
First, "all kinds of issues"? Really? The guy was asked if he could change his shirt. I don't really think this incident is going to scar him for life or anything.

Quote:
As dad as the whole English language issue, if you can read the tiny half cursive script on a person's shirt then you are literate enough to be able to see it is a mass marketed printed shirt and understand that just because you don't get it doesn't mean it is a problem.
"Tiny, half cursive"? My guess is someone walked by the guy while boarding the plane, didn't read the entire shirt, and simply saw "prepare to die". Who knows what they actually said to the FA. Let's not make this out like someone had minutes to read the entire phrase and realize it was a mass produced shirt, much less recognize the movie quote. My guess is we're spending more time discussing it here than the situation actually affected the wearer.

And really? The "most often quoted movie"? I didn't recognize the quote. I haven't recognized any quotes people have posted on this thread. And there are plenty of movies I haven't seen where I recognize quotes from... "Make him an offer he can't refuse" comes to mind pretty quick. And there's not one Princess Bride reference on AFI's Top 100 movie quotes...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AFI's_100_Years...100_Movie_Quotes
Bay Lake Towers, WDW June 1 - June 6, 2011
Polynesian, WDW Dec. 29, 2008 - Jan. 3, 2009
Wilderness Lodge, WDW, June 2005
Polynesian, WDW Sept. 7 - Sept. 14, 2001
Caribbean Beach, June 1993
sam_gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 07:00 AM   #215
Granny square
Always planning a trip!

Lol, yeah, all kinds of issues. The last thing I want to do when I am heading off on a plane trip is to have to change clothes in the airplane restroom and deal with the absurdity of a foolish request. Because absurdity irritates the crap out of me.

As far as the time to assimilate the phrase. Really? You can't read something and think two seconds before you go whining to the teacher...I mean flight attendant? Obviously other people had seen the shirt and not panicked.
Old 01-28-2013, 07:12 AM   #216
sam_gordon
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Lol, yeah, all kinds of issues. The last thing I want to do when I am heading off on a plane trip is to have to change clothes in the airplane restroom and deal with the absurdity of a foolish request. Because absurdity irritates the crap out of me.
Did he change his shirt? I thought he didn't. So yes, I don't think this really was as big a deal as some are making it out to be.

Quote:
As far as the time to assimilate the phrase. Really? You can't read something and think two seconds before you go whining to the teacher...I mean flight attendant? Obviously other people had seen the shirt and not panicked.
So someone reads a phrase on a shirt that says "prepare to die" while boarding or on an airplane. What should they think? I don't know how it is in Australia, but I know in some US airports, I've heard announcements "if you see unclaimed bags, let security know" (or something like that). I guess everyone could simply think "obviously other people have seen that bag sitting there".

Do I think he should have been made to take the shirt off/turn it inside out? No. Do I fault the passenger who complained or the FA for finding out what's going on with the shirt? No. The guy should have just said "Oh, it's a quote from a movie." I don't think it was a good choice to wear when flying.
Old 01-28-2013, 07:36 AM   #217
Granny square
Always planning a trip!

But there is the common sense issue that bugs me (obviously!). Take the baggage example. You see a bag, you see someone walking away and you think for a few seconds, asking yourself some basics. You watch them walk over, throwaway trash and walk back. You don't just take a 2 second swatch and act IMO.

I wouldn't have thought twice if one of my kids grabbed the shirt for a flight. Because common sense should reign. I would have explained and my dear husband would have argued. .
Old 01-28-2013, 07:42 AM   #218
declansdad
DIS Dad#639
Still waiting for his first one

Quote:
I'm not defensive of anything. I don't give a rat's heinie if someone has seen or likes the movie.

Well said!!
ASM - March 2004 --- POP - July 2005 --- POP and the Poly - August 2007 --- CBR - Aug 2008 --- POFQ August 2009--- POP Christmas 2010--- POFQ Aug 2011 --- Disney Dream and MK March 2013 --- EPCOT F&G March 2013 --- Pop July 2013 --- AK March 2014

me dw (pooksma) ds
DIS Dads Club Member #639

Our WDW photos on Photobucket, Our WDW photos on Flickr

declansdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 07:46 AM   #219
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

Quote:

Next thing you know we will all have to line up for clothing inspection beofre being allowed onto the aircraft. Our fellow passengers will have to give us a pass or fail, and if we don't get a 80% approval rating we don't board.

I find it more offensive when some inconsiderate twit brings a tuna sandwhich on board.

Don't forget too that the TSA obviously didn't find his shirt scary. But maybe they had common sense.
maxiesmom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 07:49 AM   #220
sam_gordon
DIS Veteran

Quote:
But there is the common sense issue that bugs me (obviously!). Take the baggage example. You see a bag, you see someone walking away and you think for a few seconds, asking yourself some basics. You watch them walk over, throwaway trash and walk back. You don't just take a 2 second swatch and act IMO.

I wouldn't have thought twice if one of my kids grabbed the shirt for a flight. Because common sense should reign. I would have explained and my dear husband would have argued. .
To me common sense tells me this wasn't as big a deal as people are making out. He didn't have to change his clothes, he wasn't taken off the flight, he basically was asked a couple questions. What happened to "I can't be believe people can be offended by the simplest things"?

My point about the bags is travelers are ENCOURAGED to report something they see as suspicious. They're not encouraged to think "oh, someone else must have seen it, so it must be ok".

To me the appropriate response if the FA asked me about a saying on my shirt... "Oh, it's a line from a movie." It should end there. I think the FA went a little overboard asking him to change it, but she didn't make him do so.
Old 01-28-2013, 07:53 AM   #221
Granny square
Always planning a trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxiesmom

Next thing you know we will all have to line up for clothing inspection beofre being allowed onto the aircraft. Our fellow passengers will have to give us a pass or fail, and if we don't get a 80% approval rating we don't board.

I find it more offensive when some inconsiderate twit brings a tuna sandwhich on board.

Don't forget too that the TSA obviously didn't find his shirt scary. But maybe they had common sense.
Ewwww, tuna! I've never experienced that one. I get headaches from some perfumes. I don't ask the person to go shower. I pop excedrin and migraine meds and know that it isn't all about me and my needs and wants.
Old 01-28-2013, 07:56 AM   #222
Granny square
Always planning a trip!

I would think the guy explained it was just a movie quote. But perhaps he was too astounded by the request. One would have thought the fa would have asked the context also.

But those are just musings.
Old 01-28-2013, 08:00 AM   #223
design_mom
I am probably more like my dad than I care to admit
I hate touching raw meat

Quote:
But, isn't that what happened in the OP? Man wore shirt. Passengers who were not familiar with the movie were "intimidated" by the shirt and questioned the flight attendant. Flight attendant approached the man who explained that it was a movie quote. Flight attendant askedif he had another shirt he could could change into (didn't demand that he change). Passenger did not change. End of story.

To reiterate my position from earlier in the thread: I would have instantly recognized the quote and it would not have bothered me one bit. However, if you don't know who Inigo Montoya is, I can see it sounding similar enough to terrorist rhetoric and making some people "concerned."

I also agree that true terrorists are unlikely to wear their plans emblazoned on a t-shirt. However, as far as it being innocuous because it's "mass produced" -- there's no way to tell. My friend has screen printing equipment in his basement, and I'm a graphic designer. We could make a professional-looking t-shirt that said anything we wanted it to. I'm sure we're not the only ones who could do this... and that shirt is not a complicated design.

I guess what makes me sad about this entire thread is how many people don't seem to give a flying fig about other people's feelings. It's all "I'll wear whatever I want and if you don't like it, that's your problem not mine." If I owned that shirt, I might not have anticipated the reaction on the plane. But I would have been apologetic if I'd scared someone -- and I certainly wouldn't wear it on a plane after hearing this story. It's not my intent to make others uncomfortable. I'll choose something else. I think that's common courtesy... and something that's lacking a lot of times. (Same with eating a tuna sandwich or wearing heavy perfume on a plane. It's within your "rights" but it's not good manners.)
Old 01-28-2013, 08:16 AM   #224
Granny square
Always planning a trip!

Caring about feelings goes both ways. I don't manipulate people with my feelings and don't expect others to do so either.

Everyone is offended by something. Get over it. Realize that you can live your life differently than I live mine and it is ok. My niece is terrified of dogs, even pictures (autistic) Her mom doesn't ask that others hide their dogs or not wear their Doxie tshirt she teaches niece to deal with life.

I might think that violent video games are evil, but if I hear two kids describing kills, I'm not going to assume they are going to start killing people. If I see a tshirt with a reference to something I don't get I'm not going to go whining to a teacher. If I can suck it up and get over it so can other people. If I can think for a minute about other possibilities others can too.

So I do care about he feelings of others. I just don't think that people need to rule anyone's life but their own with their feelings.
Old 01-28-2013, 08:27 AM   #225
design_mom
I am probably more like my dad than I care to admit
I hate touching raw meat

Quote:
Everyone is offended by something. Get over it. Realize that you can live your life differently than I live mine and it is ok. My niece is terrified of dogs, even pictures (autistic) Her mom doesn't ask that others hide their dogs or not wear their Doxie tshirt she teaches niece to deal with life.
Would you intentionally wear your Doxie t-shirt to your niece's house, knowing she's afraid of it, because she needs to learn to "deal with life?" If so, you and I are very different. Once I knew my behavior was frightening to someone, I would change it if I could. There are plenty of people who wouldn't know she's afraid. She can learn from them. I would not intentionally frighten her just because it's within my rights to wear whatever I want.

I'll admit that I might not have anticipated that people would react the way they did to the shirt. However, once I knew (as I do from reading the OP) that people might react that way, and realizing that many people are "nervous fliers" even before 9/11, I would definitely choose something else rather than just say "deal with life." I think that's common courtesy.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: