Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-27-2013, 04:41 PM   #181
Granny square
Always planning a trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioNate

It isn't about knowing every movie. It is one of the most often quoted, iconic, movie lines in America pop culture.

Exactly, it is ON A T-SHIRT. People making threats...actual real life threats are not printing them on a T-****.
Lol, no kidding.

Really if the security people had no issue all the more reason mr busybody needed to take a Valium rather than be a pitb.
Old 01-27-2013, 04:57 PM   #182
pixiewings71
Sweet!!! Totally!!!!!
YAY for good weather!
It's that Disney Magic, I don't know how it works but it does!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TifffanyD View Post
That was a pretty good eugoogaly

Do you understand that the world does not revolve around you and your do whatever it takes, ruin as many people's lives, so long as you can make a name for yourself as an investigatory journalist, no matter how many friends you lose or people you leave dead and bloodied along the way, just so long so you can make a name for yourself as an investigatory journalist, no matter how many friends you lose or people you leave dead and bloodied and dying along the way?

I think you're my new BFF!

We took 14 trips from July 07-July 08 and around 16 from Jan 09-Jan 10. We did 5 trips 2011-2012. 2012-2013 4 trips.

eBay and pins http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2213419
pixiewings71 is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-27-2013, 04:59 PM   #183
Granny square
Always planning a trip!

Lol it isn't meant to startle. It is meant to evoke an image of a movie character. Small writing on a tshirt

Just like Arnold on a tshirt doesn't mean the person is a robot. Or that the three stooges are going to poke you in the eyes....

Last edited by Granny square; 01-27-2013 at 05:24 PM.
Granny square is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 05:45 PM   #184
PrincessBelle39
DIS Veteran

We were talking about this last night at a BBQ at home. Of the 20 or so Australian's at the table, not one of us had ever heard of this movie. So its not inconcievable to think that other Australian's had not either.
I've just googled the movie to find out what it was about. It was released in 1987 and said that it made 30.8million at the box office (considered a flop), predominantly in the US and Canada. It wasn't until it made it to video that it became popular, again in the US and Canada. I would expect that there were many on that plane, probably the majority, that didn't know of its existance.
September 2005 - Disneyland, Desert Palms Inn & Suites
August 1999 - Disneyland, Park Vue Inn
February 1996 - Disneyland, Carousel Inn
November 1994 - Disneyland Paris
PrincessBelle39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 05:57 PM   #185
Granny square
Always planning a trip!

So...they saw the shirt and reacted with fear and trembling?
Old 01-27-2013, 06:04 PM   #186
kaytieeldr
Reserving the right to make jokes out of typos - but NOT the people who make them - since 2012

Location: There is no Pixie Dust on the Transportation Board!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by North of Mouse
I for one would NOT like it. I have not seen Princess bride, but what's on this shirt is *made* to startle. I do not like to fly, and it is a totally inappropriate shirt to wear *anywhere*, but especially on a airplane.
Made to startle? No. Not in any way. Even misinterpreted as the threat it's not, as pointed out above, taken in context - aka reading the entire message, not picking & choosing - only passengers who'd killed someone should have the slightest concern.
kaytieeldr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 06:07 PM   #187
t_daniels
They'll NEVER be replaced
Does it make all the boy mooses go BWAH!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janepod
People were bothered by this? Inconceivable!
I see what you did, here.
t_daniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 06:08 PM   #188
PrincessBelle39
DIS Veteran

I'm not getting into whether the reaction of those travelling were justified or not. Just because I would think one thing, doesn't mean I expect all others to think the same.

My response was just to indicate that its not a cult classic here. Even the movie buffs in our group had never heard of it. I just looked on the list of DVD's available at our local DVD shop and its not on the list.
Old 01-27-2013, 06:08 PM   #189
RadioNate
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessBelle39 View Post
We were talking about this last night at a BBQ at home. Of the 20 or so Australian's at the table, not one of us had ever heard of this movie. So its not inconcievable to think that other Australian's had not either.
I've just googled the movie to find out what it was about. It was released in 1987 and said that it made 30.8million at the box office (considered a flop), predominantly in the US and Canada. It wasn't until it made it to video that it became popular, again in the US and Canada. I would expect that there were many on that plane, probably the majority, that didn't know of its existance.
I understand this. I think most of us are speaking as Americans. FWIW the "inconceivable" is another running line in the movie.

That said. The T-Shirt (or one very similar) is posted above. Honestly, would you feel threatened? Or would you think, that's odd, must be in reference to something I'm not familiar with?

I see a lot of humor T-Shirts from things I'm not well versed in...Doctor Who, Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter...not really my "thing" but I'm aware that such things exist so I think "hummm that must be from a movie/tv show/comic book" rather than feel intimidated by it.
Old 01-27-2013, 06:17 PM   #190
RunningGirl
DIS Veteran

So, for the people who would feel threatened by someone wearing the Princess Bride shirt: Would you also feel threatened (or at least made uncomfortable) by someone wearing a tshirt with the name of a band that's unsettling? For example, The Killers, Death Cab for Cutie, Fine Young Cannibals? Again, words that could be taken as a threat, but on a tshirt, obviously a cultural reference.
RunningGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 06:20 PM   #191
PrincessBelle39
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioNate View Post
I understand this. I think most of us are speaking as Americans. FWIW the "inconceivable" is another running line in the movie.

That said. The T-Shirt (or one very similar) is posted above. Honestly, would you feel threatened? Or would you think, that's odd, must be in reference to something I'm not familiar with?

I see a lot of humor T-Shirts from things I'm not well versed in...Doctor Who, Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter...not really my "thing" but I'm aware that such things exist so I think "hummm that must be from a movie/tv show/comic book" rather than feel intimidated by it.
The T-shirt above looks completely pre-printed. When I first saw the one from the plane I thought it looked like it had been handwritten. It was only looking more carefully that I realised it was preprinted.

No it wouldn't have bothered me. And yes, I would have thought it was just something I was unfamiliar with. But I can't speak for everyone.

Last edited by PrincessBelle39; 01-27-2013 at 06:43 PM.
Old 01-27-2013, 06:25 PM   #192
robinb
DIS Veteran

I wondered if a t-shirt with a bomb on it or even the word "bomb" would be a-OK with our own TSA and well ... apparently not.

A man wearing this t-shirt

described as featuring

Quote:
... a screaming eagle clutching an unlaced shoe and a crushed water bottle, surrounded by the motto MOISTURE BOMBS ZOMG TERRORISTS ZOMG GONNA KILL US ALL ZOMG ZOMG ALERT LEVEL BLOODRED RUN RUN TAKE OFF YOUR SHOES.
was asked to remove it, submit to extra screening and board his plane last. Even though he complied with everything he was still taken off the plane and made to stay the night at his expense and fly standby the next day.

Here's a link:
http://boingboing.net/2012/08/21/del...g-to-poop.html
Old 01-27-2013, 08:26 PM   #193
DeaverTex
Smelling like a horse doesn't make you a cavalryman
I'd wear a pair. I might even be able to get Mrs. Tex to wear some
I need to provide sufficient background in every post to make sense

The guy should have just covered it up with a holocaust cloak.

Yes, another film reference. We all loved that movie.

7-10 October 2012 - POR
Nothing else planned right now.

I've been BOO'ED!!!
DeaverTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 08:38 PM   #194
declansdad
DIS Dad#639
Still waiting for his first one

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinb View Post
I wondered if a t-shirt with a bomb on it or even the word "bomb" would be a-OK with our own TSA and well ... apparently not.

A man wearing this t-shirt

described as featuring

was asked to remove it, submit to extra screening and board his plane last. Even though he complied with everything he was still taken off the plane and made to stay the night at his expense and fly standby the next day.

Here's a link:
http://boingboing.net/2012/08/21/del...g-to-poop.html

Even after your quote and reading that blog, I have no idea what that is suppose to be saying.
ASM - March 2004 --- POP - July 2005 --- POP and the Poly - August 2007 --- CBR - Aug 2008 --- POFQ August 2009--- POP Christmas 2010--- POFQ Aug 2011 --- Disney Dream and MK March 2013 --- EPCOT F&G March 2013 --- Pop July 2013 --- AK March 2014

me dw (pooksma) ds
DIS Dads Club Member #639

Our WDW photos on Photobucket, Our WDW photos on Flickr

declansdad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 08:42 PM   #195
disykat
DIS Veteran

I think the key thing being missed is that it's not always about "you" and what bothers "you." It's about the realization that other people are bothered by things that you don't understand and being willing to put "your" preferences aside for one minute and just be NICE.

This whole thread reminds me of someone sticking in their middle finger up in the air and making it clear that no one else matters.

If you realize you are frightening someone, roll your eyes later and talk about how goofy it was, but just put yourself and your own thoughts aside for a brief period of time.

It amazes me that people are unwilling to do even that much for a fellow human being.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: