Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-27-2013, 02:42 PM   #166
disykat
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granny square View Post
So every time some person misunderstands or doesn't "get" something everyone else has to accommodate them? Good grief. If I hear someone playing violent music then I should assume they are going to act on it, and they should have to turn it off? People need to learn to mind their own business and quit trying to make the world comply to their understanding or viewpoint.
No, just every time they have the words "prepare to die" on their shirts while they're on an airplane.

Come on, seriously? You don't see why those words might be considered a threat by some people?

BTW, if someone's music was offending others on an airplane I would expect them to turn it off as well. When you are in a very small space that contains a lot of nervous/frightened people dealing with heightened security, you use your company manners and make sure you aren't bothering others.

I seriously can't imagine fighting for your right to have the words "prepare to die" on your shirt under those circumstances.
Old 01-27-2013, 02:48 PM   #167
Granny square
Always planning a trip!

Well if you are stupid enough to take everything literally then you deserve to be offended.

And I wasn't speaking to volume I music but content. Say you are on a street corner.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-27-2013, 02:56 PM   #168
LongLiveDisney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by muffyn
I am more amazed at all the people on here that do NOT know the movie
Oh really? Please. Sorry if some of us do not know about every movie in existence.

Me DM DF DSis DB
LongLiveDisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 03:02 PM   #169
North of Mouse
DIS Veteran

I for one would NOT like it. I have not seen Princess bride, but what's on this shirt is *made* to startle. I do not like to fly, and it is a totally inappropriate shirt to wear *anywhere*, but especially on a airplane.

People have *jokingly* talked about bombs, and believe me, they are taken seriously, no matter how they say it. This type thing on a shirt is just as bad.
North of Mouse is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 03:07 PM   #170
North of Mouse
DIS Veteran

Quote:
So every time some person misunderstands or doesn't "get" something everyone else has to accommodate them? Good grief. If I hear someone playing violent music then I should assume they are going to act on it, and they should have to turn it off? People need to learn to mind their own business and quit trying to make the world comply to their understanding or viewpoint.
Try going through an airport scanner and *jokingly* refer to a bomb, then see if they "comply to your understanding and viewpoint" and accommodate you.
North of Mouse is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 03:09 PM   #171
declansdad
DIS Dad#639
Still waiting for his first one

Quote:
Originally Posted by disykat View Post
No, just every time they have the words "prepare to die" on their shirts while they're on an airplane.

Come on, seriously? You don't see why those words might be considered a threat by some people?

BTW, if someone's music was offending others on an airplane I would expect them to turn it off as well. When you are in a very small space that contains a lot of nervous/frightened people dealing with heightened security, you use your company manners and make sure you aren't bothering others.

I seriously can't imagine fighting for your right to have the words "prepare to die" on your shirt under those circumstances.

Given the fact that they are on a novelty t-shirt, I don't see you could serously think of them as a threat.
ASM - March 2004 --- POP - July 2005 --- POP and the Poly - August 2007 --- CBR - Aug 2008 --- POFQ August 2009--- POP Christmas 2010--- POFQ Aug 2011 --- Disney Dream and MK March 2013 --- EPCOT F&G March 2013 --- Pop July 2013 --- AK March 2014

me dw (pooksma) ds
DIS Dads Club Member #639

Our WDW photos on Photobucket, Our WDW photos on Flickr

declansdad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 03:11 PM   #172
declansdad
DIS Dad#639

Quote:
Originally Posted by North of Mouse View Post
Try going through an airport scanner and *jokingly* refer to a bomb, then see if they "comply to your understanding and viewpoint" and accommodate you.

I don't see those as being the same at all. In one case we are talking about a t-shirt that has more on it than the words "prepare to die" and the other you are talking about two people talking about a bomb. There is a difference..
ASM - March 2004 --- POP - July 2005 --- POP and the Poly - August 2007 --- CBR - Aug 2008 --- POFQ August 2009--- POP Christmas 2010--- POFQ Aug 2011 --- Disney Dream and MK March 2013 --- EPCOT F&G March 2013 --- Pop July 2013 --- AK March 2014

me dw (pooksma) ds

Old 01-27-2013, 03:13 PM   #173
declansdad
DIS Dad#639

Quote:
I for one would NOT like it. I have not seen Princess bride, but what's on this shirt is *made* to startle. I do not like to fly, and it is a totally inappropriate shirt to wear *anywhere*, but especially on a airplane.

People have *jokingly* talked about bombs, and believe me, they are taken seriously, no matter how they say it. This type thing on a shirt is just as bad.

That tagline on the t-shirt is not made to startle, far from it as it is one of the iconic lines from that movie. You are allowing your fear of flying to colour your judgement about this t-shirt.

me dw (pooksma) ds

Old 01-27-2013, 03:13 PM   #174
ford family
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Well if you are stupid enough to take everything literally then you deserve to be offended.

And I wasn't speaking to volume I music but content. Say you are on a street corner.
This story was on a flight between Australia and New Zealand. The person or persons who voiced concern may not have had English as their first language, they may have been elderly, they may have been nervous fliers, they may even have been in that teeny tiny minority (apparently) of people who had never ever seen the film being quoted.
But to you, they are stupid.
Whatever.

As to the violent music on the street corner that offends you, just keep walking.
Or had you planned to hang around on that particular street corner?

ford family
ford family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 03:19 PM   #175
Granny square
Always planning a trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford family

This story was on a flight between Australia and New Zealand. The person or persons who voiced concern may not have had English as their first language, they may have been elderly, they may have been nervous fliers, they may even have been in that teeny tiny minority (apparently) of people who had never ever seen the film being quoted.
But to you, they are stupid.
Whatever.

As to the violent music on the street corner that offends you, just keep walking.
Or had you planned to hang around on that particular street corner?

ford family
I have a right to be in the corner. Why is it always that someone needs to move on.

You are saying that my fear should designate someone else's behavior.

Why can't people MIND THEIR OWN BUSINESS. I can wear and do what I want and you can do the Same. Not a difficult concept.

People need to quit attempting to control other people and get over their belief that the world revolves around them.
Old 01-27-2013, 03:28 PM   #176
JennaDeeDooDah
My oh my what a wonderful day!

Fact of the matter is, no one needed to be afraid... unless, of course, they had six fingers on their right hand.

*1993 - CBR* *1996 - CR* *1999 - Poly* *2005 - College Program* *2005 - CBR* *2006 - Off site* *2008 - ASMu* *2012 - Pop* *2012 - POR* *2013 - All Star Sports* *2013 - Disneyland* *2014 - ASMO* *2014 - AoA* *2014 - WL* *2015 - POR* *2015 - CR*

JennaDeeDooDah is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 03:36 PM   #177
Planogirl
I feel the nerd in me stirring already
Oh well, let's look on the bright side
If I hadn't been so wiped out I would have kissed my anesthesiologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by phorsenuf View Post
I couldn't even bring myself to comment on that one.
Old 01-27-2013, 04:14 PM   #178
kaytieeldr
Reserving the right to make jokes out of typos - but NOT the people who make them - since 2012

Location: There is no Pixie Dust on the Transportation Board!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford family
This story was on a flight between Australia and New Zealand. The person or persons who voiced concern may not have had English as their first language,
Australia's default language is English.
New Zealand's national languages are English and Maori.
A person whose primary language isn't English would likely comprehend or not the entire quote - not just three words at the end.
kaytieeldr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 04:19 PM   #179
RadioNate
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongLiveDisney View Post
Oh really? Please. Sorry if some of us do not know about every movie in existence.
It isn't about knowing every movie. It is one of the most often quoted, iconic, movie lines in America pop culture.

Quote:
Exactly, it is ON A T-SHIRT. People making threats...actual real life threats are not printing them on a T-****.
Old 01-27-2013, 04:41 PM   #180
hiwaygal
Only someone as wonderful as Donna can receive my picture PM's
aka Roadie
They must have been men
Is it Friday yet?!

This whole thread is intimidating and offensive.

You all need to get off my plane!!!

The gift of happiness belongs to those who unwrap it.
hiwaygal is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: