Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-25-2013, 05:28 PM   #136
ford family
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotUrsula View Post
Normally an "s", fwiw. The Princess Bride sells well throughout the English-speaking world, but yes, most popular in the US.

However, I didn't say that everyone anywhere should be familiar with US cultural icons (and I think I covered that when I said that the FA should have explained to the "concerned" that it was a film quote -- and if she did not know initially, she would probably have discovered it after speaking with the passenger wearing the shirt.) What I said was that this film is a touchstone in my culture, and that I feel that it is important to be able to recognize those, even if I don't happen to be fond of them.

By extension, that generalisation would apply to whatever culture one happens to live in. (For example, most Frenchmen have at least a passing acquaintance with Tintin, and a Frenchman who did not recognize the character would be a bit unusual.)

As for the "homework" assignment, that was tongue-in-cheek, of course, and aimed at the mostly-American demographic of this board. Still, TPB *is* generally considered by American film critics to be one of our funniest films, so I have no regrets about recommending checking it out.
I've never heard of the film despite having been employed by a US company for forty years and working here frequently and now here, after retirement, seasonally.
I guess that makes me an out of the loop fuddy duddy.
By the way, Tintin is Belgian. But as it is not your culture I wouldn't expect you to know that.

ford family

Last edited by ford family; 01-25-2013 at 05:36 PM.
ford family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 06:08 PM   #137
pixiewings71
Sweet!!! Totally!!!!!
YAY for good weather!
It's that Disney Magic, I don't know how it works but it does!

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinb View Post
I saw Napoleon Dynamite and was completely underwhelmed. I think I went into it expecting too much.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TifffanyD View Post
hah oh, of course.

I like

"Mer... MAN!!!!", "*cough cough* I think I have the black lung", "I feel like I'm taking crazy pills!!!!"... oh, so many...
I always do that cough and say I have the black lung. The tiny cell phone always kills me. What about~
"What is this? A center for ants? How can we be expected to teach children to learn how to read... if they can't even fit inside the building?"
"The building has to be at least... three times bigger than this!"
(yes, I cut some out lol)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhsjax View Post
I will watch the movie. Maybe not this weekend,d but I will try, tonight in fact. If it doesn't work out, I will catch it next weekend.
I hope you enjoy it

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford family View Post
I've never heard of the film despite having been employed by a US company for forty years and working here frequently and now here, after retirement, seasonally.
By the way, Tintin is Belgian. But as it is not your culture I wouldn't expect you to know that.

ford family
You've been employed for a US company for 40 years and you've never heard of The Princess Bride? Even my friend who hasn't seen it knows that quotes. Maybe someday you'll watch it and enjoy it.

Here's another favorite scene....but really, the whole movie is my favorite.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lC6dgtBU6Gs

Oh, or this one......"only slightly less well known......" LOL
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_eZmEiyTo0

Oh......wait for it.....LOL
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DP5-qJSzDUg

I could do this all day but......lol

We took 14 trips from July 07-July 08 and around 16 from Jan 09-Jan 10. We did 5 trips 2011-2012. 2012-2013 4 trips.

eBay and pins http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2213419
pixiewings71 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-25-2013, 06:24 PM   #138
TifffanyD
Agreeing and making sense are not the same thing
I need to reload

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixiewings71 View Post
I always do that cough and say I have the black lung. The tiny cell phone always kills me. What about~
"What is this? A center for ants? How can we be expected to teach children to learn how to read... if they can't even fit inside the building?"
"The building has to be at least... three times bigger than this!"
(yes, I cut some out lol)

I see that and raise you one ORANGE MOCHA FRAPPUCINO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (hold the freak gasoline fight)
TifffanyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 06:34 PM   #139
The Wise One
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennadeedoodah
when inigo montoya and his famous quote becomes a threat to passengers on an airplane, the terrorists have won.
this.
1st WDW Trip: November 2009 - Coronado Springs
2nd: December 2011 - All Star Movies
3rd: January 6th, 2013- Pop Century Resort
First DCL: May 25th, 2013- FANTASY!
4th: June 2013 - Art of Animation
5th: November 2013 - Coronado Springs
The Wise One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 06:42 PM   #140
phorsenuf
Not so New Rule author on the DISSome discuss it calmly and some ...
Grandma Oboe

Location: Concord NH and now Davenport FL. Home to meth addicts and dislocated cowboys I'm told.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennaDeeDooDah View Post
When Inigo Montoya and his famous quote becomes a threat to passengers on an airplane, the terrorists have won.
No truer words.
Old 01-25-2013, 07:06 PM   #141
Granny square
Always planning a trip!

I can't imagine being concerned about what someone's tshirt said. People need to mind their own business.

I like the shirt and ought one for my son last year.
Old 01-25-2013, 07:16 PM   #142
mhsjax
DIS Veteran

Well I watched the few clips that were posted. I have to say, that if the rest of the movie isn't any better, I won't be wasting another hour and 45 minutes watching it. I wasn't entertained at all. OH well, different strokes for different folks.
mhsjax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 07:20 PM   #143
Granny square
Always planning a trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhsjax
Well I watched the few clips that were posted. I have to say, that if the rest of the movie isn't any better, I won't be wasting another hour and 45 minutes watching it. I wasn't entertained at all. OH well, different strokes for different folks.
So true. I hate lots of movies other people love. I was young when I first saw princess bride and it is dear to my heart. It is a bit quirky though.
Old 01-25-2013, 07:22 PM   #144
NotUrsula
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford family View Post
Not a film buff, huh?

FWIW, the vast majority of my extended family is in the UK, and I'm there frequently. One of my same-generation UK cousins uses Princess Buttercup as her Facebook avatar. (Based on your self-stated work history, I'd say you must be about 10-15 years older than I am.)

FTR, the film was released in both the US and the UK in the fall of 1987, and was not a big box-office hit in either country at the time. However, it has since become a cult film.

Quote:
I know it is Belgian, but the popularity of it in France is great enough that most Frenchmen would recognize the character. I never said that Tintin was French, only that a Frenchman who didn't recognize it would be unusual. I used it as an example because it is a popular culture title that might be perceived as aimed at children, but is really fun for all ages, which can also be said of The Princess Bride.
NotUrsula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 07:24 PM   #145
katrina1122
Just another Blonde moment in my life. Yay me.

Inconceivalbe!
katrina1122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 07:27 PM   #146
phorsenuf
Not so New Rule author on the DISSome discuss it calmly and some ...
Grandma Oboe

Location: Concord NH and now Davenport FL. Home to meth addicts and dislocated cowboys I'm told.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhsjax View Post
You can't really go by the clips without knowing the context behind them.
Old 01-25-2013, 07:45 PM   #147
mhsjax
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granny square View Post
So true. I hate lots of movies other people love. I was young when I first saw princess bride and it is dear to my heart. It is a bit quirky though.
I do like quirky. I have a feeling my DH would love it. I think we will have a movie night and check out the whole thing, give it a fair chance.
Old 01-25-2013, 08:17 PM   #148
Granny square
Always planning a trip!

Quote:

I do like quirky. I have a feeling my DH would love it. I think we will have a movie night and check out the whole thing, give it a fair chance.
I wasn't meaning to say yog were boring or anything. . It is a sweet couple movie with true live as the basis. So popcorn and a cozy husband might make it fun for you.
Old 01-25-2013, 08:21 PM   #149
mhsjax
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granny square View Post
I wasn't meaning to say yog were boring or anything. . It is a sweet couple movie with true live as the basis. So popcorn and a cozy husband might make it fun for you.
Oh I know you didn't I just meant that I usually do like quirky, funny movies. So I should give this a full run before I decide. I like to watch movies and TV to be totally entertained and to forget about all the ick in the world.
Old 01-25-2013, 08:33 PM   #150
Granny square
Always planning a trip!

Quote:

Oh I know you didn't I just meant that I usually do like quirky, funny movies. So I should give this a full run before I decide. I like to watch movies and TV to be totally entertained and to forget about all the ick in the world.
Oh good!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: