Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-29-2013, 02:13 PM   #1
mickeyboat
Nothing like the cream and chocolate combination
Thank you for omitting the footwear today
Moons are a sign of intelligence and beauty

I am almost done volunteering for things

I am so frustrated! Argh! I need to vent.

DDs are in 7th grade, and I have been volunteering for things ever since they started school - sports things, school things, band things, girl scouts, etc. I think the time has come for me to step back and let someone else do it for a change.

I am tired of being the parent who has to call and email the other parents over and over to get answers out of them. I am tired of forking out oodles of cash never to be reimbursed.

I want to be the parent who rolls up in the van, opens the door, pushes the kid out, and speeds away.

I think I am going to try that next year.

So couldnít we all come to the conclusion that itís not the PLACE that counts, itís the people who contribute to it? - Delswife
mickeyboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 02:14 PM   #2
Mary Jo
Techarita
Loves the star on the mountain

DISboards Moderator

I did that one year. I took a break from almost all the volunteering. After that, I was ready to get back into it. It's okay to take a break now and then.
Mary Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-29-2013, 02:31 PM   #3
shortbun
Peacenik

Oh yeah! I know just what you mean!!! Do it! One year, three days after my mother died, I ended up being the only parent finishing the sports banquet for the whole year of sports. Several parents were 'too busy, you understand, don't you?' Then, one of the non-volunteers stood up and asked everyone to thank me for doing it just three days after my mother's death!! I was mad! Really mad! I had deluded myself into thinking no one knew what I was going through-they knew-they didn't care. The next year, I did nothing.

USE IT UP, WEAR IT OUT, MAKE IT DO OR DO WITHOUT.

IF YOUR UPKEEP EXCEEDS YOUR INCOME THEN YOUR OUTGO WILL BE YOUR DOWNFALL.
shortbun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 03:24 PM   #4
WDSearcher
DIS Veteran

IMO, you should never volunteer for something that you're not having fun with. I see so many parents volunteering for stuff to "stay involved". They end up on sixty-five different committees and don't have any fun and get burned out.

Maybe instead of cutting it out completely, just choose the ONE activity that you really ENJOY being part of with your kids. Drop football, keep band. Or whatever. Get involved in one thing you really enjoy. Did wonders for me!

WDSearcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 03:32 PM   #5
DopeyDame
DIS Veteran

You should absolutely take some time off! It will be good for you, good for the kids, and good for the volunteer organization. I took last year "off" from my main volunteering, and it was the best thing I could have done. I was starting to get a little burnt out and bitter, and the time away was exactly what i needed. I'm back this year, with much more focus and enthusiasm. Even better, there are a few people who really stepped up last year who are awesome!
DopeyDame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 03:36 PM   #6
scoutie
DIS Veteran

If you're not enjoying it, then be done. Another parent will step up.
scoutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 04:13 PM   #7
tvguy
Question anything the facts don't support.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoutie View Post
If you're not enjoying it, then be done. Another parent will step up.
Not always. These days the number of parents who treat Little League/Soccer/Scouts etc. as a baby sitting service is amazing. My involvement literally started because nobody else would do it, and the kids............who do want to be there....would suffer. I was on a little league board until 2004. They are having to get Grandparents to run the league because parents won't step up, and the league almost folded.

And despite their parents, there were a lot of kids who told me thank you.....one told me after I umpired a game thanks, because his dad....who was always in the stands...said there is no way he would ever agree to do that.!
Old 01-29-2013, 04:17 PM   #8
Pigeon
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvguy View Post
Not always. These days the number of parents who treat Little League/Soccer/Scouts etc. as a baby sitting service is amazing. My involvement literally started because nobody else would do it, and the kids............who do want to be there....would suffer. I was on a little league board until 2004. They are having to get Grandparents to run the league because parents won't step up, and the league almost folded.

And despite their parents, there were a lot of kids who told me thank you.....one told me after I umpired a game thanks, because his dad....who was always in the stands...said there is no way he would ever agree to do that.!
If that's the case, then OK, it's done. Life will go on.
Pigeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 06:59 PM   #9
minkydog
DIS Cast Member
hey! I've got two college degrees and a steady job. if I wanna watch mindless TV, so what?
DIS Official Rum Taster
I used to be in the all-natural camp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortbun View Post
Oh yeah! I know just what you mean!!! Do it! One year, three days after my mother died, I ended up being the only parent finishing the sports banquet for the whole year of sports. Several parents were 'too busy, you understand, don't you?' Then, one of the non-volunteers stood up and asked everyone to thank me for doing it just three days after my mother's death!! I was mad! Really mad! I had deluded myself into thinking no one knew what I was going through-they knew-they didn't care. The next year, I did nothing.
No good deed goes unpunished.
Old 01-29-2013, 07:42 PM   #10
shelwoj
Mouseketeer

I had to read this out loud to DH because boy can we relate! Our boys were in band and we volunteered often for many things. When our youngest was a senior the only thing we volunteered for was the pit crew. We had a BLAST!! I don't regret all that we did but there were times that I wanted to thump some of the other parents.

Hang in there, step back if you need to, this too shall pass.
Old 01-29-2013, 07:57 PM   #11
DisneyFan32WI
Sometimes I just like to be plain and boring

I think you are doing too much. Keep your favorite and dump the rest. Gain some of your valuable time back!
Old 01-29-2013, 09:30 PM   #12
tvguy
Question anything the facts don't support.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigeon View Post
If that's the case, then OK, it's done. Life will go on.
I respectfully disagree. Children should not suffer because they have lazy parents.
Old 01-29-2013, 09:40 PM   #13
Sheree Bobbins
DIS Veteran

By all means, take a break. You deserve it.
Sheree Bobbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 09:44 PM   #14
Pigeon
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I respectfully disagree. Children should not suffer because they have lazy parents.
A lack of enrichment activities hardly constitutes "suffering."
Pigeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 09:49 PM   #15
chloelovesdisney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Are all your sports teams run by parents? I thought our local leagues hired people to be umps, etc..

chloelovesdisney is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: