Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-24-2013, 03:36 PM   #1
blackacex2
Mouseketeer

Our dining plan cost breakdown

Wolfgang puck lunch- $35
Be our guest lunch- $28
Tangerine Cafe- $40
Starring Rolls- $30
Village Haus- $30

Snacks-$37

Coral Reef Restaraunt- $85 Wednesday
1900 Park Fare- $85 Thursday
Kouzzina- $90 Friday
O'Hana- $95 Tuesday
Boma-$85 Monday

TOTAL FOOD COST (including tax)- $640

5 nights for two adults on disney dining plan- (2 Adults)= $556

Savings of $84. Pretty good. I figured it wouldn't be worth it. However- I must say that is a lot of quick service eating. Calorie wise- you're looking at a 350 calorie snack, a 750 calorie counter service meal, and a 1,000 calorie dinner. That's 2100 calories without eating breakfast. I eat less than 1,800 calories a day though, so I don't think I will be missing a "real" breakfast vs having a snack
blackacex2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 03:55 PM   #2
Ginny Favers
I told my husband I think they must put crack in it

I just looked at this very quickly, but if Ohana's is, at the most, $40 a person, why do you have $95 there?

And if you usually eat only 1,800 calories a day, are you really going to want those 2 desserts a day?
Ginny Favers is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-24-2013, 04:11 PM   #3
davedmaine
DIS Veteran

Your numbers are way off .. did you add in the tips on the OOP? If you did, did you also add in tips for the DDP (which you'll have to pay OOP)?
davedmaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 04:33 PM   #4
blackacex2
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by davedmaine
Your numbers are way off .. did you add in the tips on the OOP? If you did, did you also add in tips for the DDP (which you'll have to pay OOP)?
No I did not add tips- why would I? Tips would would cost the same with or without the dining plan, so for the sake of comparison they are irrelevant
Old 01-24-2013, 04:34 PM   #5
blackacex2
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginny Favers
I just looked at this very quickly, but if Ohana's is, at the most, $40 a person, why do you have $95 there?

And if you usually eat only 1,800 calories a day, are you really going to want those 2 desserts a day?
O'hana can be as much as 44.99 a person - with tax that easily comes to $95
Old 01-24-2013, 05:15 PM   #6
JimmyV
Por favor manténganse alejado de las puertas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackacex2 View Post
Wolfgang puck lunch- $35
Be our guest lunch- $28
Tangerine Cafe- $40
Starring Rolls- $30
Village Haus- $30

Snacks-$37

Coral Reef Restaraunt- $85 Wednesday
1900 Park Fare- $85 Thursday
Kouzzina- $90 Friday
O'Hana- $95 Tuesday
Boma-$85 Monday

TOTAL FOOD COST (including tax)- $640

5 nights for two adults on disney dining plan- (2 Adults)= $556

Savings of $84. Pretty good. I figured it wouldn't be worth it. However- I must say that is a lot of quick service eating. Calorie wise- you're looking at a 350 calorie snack, a 750 calorie counter service meal, and a 1,000 calorie dinner. That's 2100 calories without eating breakfast. I eat less than 1,800 calories a day though, so I don't think I will be missing a "real" breakfast vs having a snack
In looking at your estimates, I find that you are a bit high on all of your lunches. Anywhere from $0-$10. For example: two people eating at Village Haus could have a meatball sub, a Chicken Caesar Salad and a drink each for around $22. At Tangierine Cafe? A Lamb Wrap, a Kefta Sandwich and a couple of drinks will run around $27. I'm at $49 for these two meals and you are at $70. Of course, I haven't built in any desserts into these meals, and that really is what the DDP comes down to. If two people split a dessert at lunch, then the OOP cost is still lower than your estimate. If each person gets their own dessert every day at lunch, then your estimates seem about right. Which leads to the age-old question: If you were paying OOP, would you get those desserts? If the answer is, "No, I would try to stay within an 1,800 calorie guideline and one dessert (and snack) per day for us is plenty", then pricing out all of the DDP food into an OOP "dry run" winds up showing a higher than actual cost because you are factoring in things that the DDP provides, but that you might not otherwise get. If the answer is, "Yes, we would get all those desserts. We're on vacation!", then your estimates are closer to being spot on. And then, there is the whole issue of appetizers to contend with at dinner.

When pricing out the DDP, it almost always comes down to two things:
--Desserts at lunch
--Foregoing appetizers at dinner.
JimmyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 05:32 PM   #7
sharonabe
DIS Veteran

I think your estimates are a little high as well. It looks like you've chosen the highest priced entrees. Are you both going to eat the same thing at each place? The highest I see at Ohana and Boma is $39.40 which would be $80 for two. So that's $20 off your total. You also need to use the peak pricing on DDP since you're using peak pricing on your estimates. That takes you to $570 for the 5 nights. If you don't get that highest priced entree or you decide you don't want dessert, you will lose value quickly.
sharonabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 06:07 PM   #8
CalSea12
Desperately needs a dose of the magic!

Even if your ddp equals what you would spend oop it's worth it in mho. I say this because your meals are all taken care of. I get the dxdp and usually save 150-200 dollars, but we are big eaters. Even if I didn't save that I much rather have my dining plan. Honestly I would even spend some money to get my dining plan, it is that worth it to me.

Several Trips as a child to DL and DW, 2008-All Star Movies ,2010-Honeymoon Caribbean Beach, November 2013 ASMu
CalSea12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 06:08 PM   #9
autumnpalm
Hates dark rooms, is a big rule follower, & loves repitition
When I was a kid, I wanted to be a host on The Shopping Channel
I have a secret feeling that butterflies are sinister creatures

Quote:
No I did not add tips- why would I? Tips would would cost the same with or without the dining plan, so for the sake of comparison they are irrelevant
Just remember that with DDP you may be tipping more than if you ordered OOP as you will be tipping on a higher bill amount due to desserts, drinks, higher entrees that are ordered just to maximize the "value" of each credit.
Old 01-24-2013, 07:43 PM   #10
CalSea12
Desperately needs a dose of the magic!

This is very true we usually have about 400 in tips to account for, but for me I would tip this amount on or off the ddp because I would order the same thing.

Several Trips as a child to DL and DW, 2008-All Star Movies ,2010-Honeymoon Caribbean Beach, November 2013 ASMu
CalSea12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 10:10 PM   #11
partigus
Mouseketeer

thats the key...do you order things you might not due to the value? This can be good if you LOVE steak, and want to eat it every day. We finally stopped the plan. Due to several food intolerances we really don't eat out that much, so Disney was always a great chance to make up for the rest of the year!

We started doing the deluxe as we found waiting for special options at a CS took FOREVER. First year seemed great, second year was a disaster! I still remember sitting in LTT just a few hours after a big breakfast and just wanting a salad, but feeling obligated to order the pot roast...then have to return to the resort and have another big meal just a few hours later....horrible.

Last year we paid out of pocket- ordered what we want.. and spent about the same
2010 Contemporary (5)
2009 Beach Club Villas (6)
2008 Wilderness Lodge (5)
2005 French Quarter (7)
2004 Wilderness Lodge (2)
2004 Marriott World Center (2)
2003 Polynesian (4)
1996 Port Orleans (4)
1992 Off Site (2)
1988 Grad Night (1)
1988 Naval Training Center (1)
1987 Grad Night (1)
1987 Naval Training Center (1)
Several family day trips- early 80's (4)
Trips to Fort Wilderness Campgrounds in early 70's (?)
partigus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 11:22 PM   #12
DisneyFansInNYC
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyV View Post
In looking at your estimates, I find that you are a bit high on all of your lunches. Anywhere from $0-$10. For example: two people eating at Village Haus could have a meatball sub, a Chicken Caesar Salad and a drink each for around $22. At Tangierine Cafe? A Lamb Wrap, a Kefta Sandwich and a couple of drinks will run around $27. I'm at $49 for these two meals and you are at $70. Of course, I haven't built in any desserts into these meals, and that really is what the DDP comes down to. If two people split a dessert at lunch, then the OOP cost is still lower than your estimate. If each person gets their own dessert every day at lunch, then your estimates seem about right. Which leads to the age-old question: If you were paying OOP, would you get those desserts? If the answer is, "No, I would try to stay within an 1,800 calorie guideline and one dessert (and snack) per day for us is plenty", then pricing out all of the DDP food into an OOP "dry run" winds up showing a higher than actual cost because you are factoring in things that the DDP provides, but that you might not otherwise get. If the answer is, "Yes, we would get all those desserts. We're on vacation!", then your estimates are closer to being spot on. And then, there is the whole issue of appetizers to contend with at dinner.

When pricing out the DDP, it almost always comes down to two things:
--Desserts at lunch
--Foregoing appetizers at dinner.
I agree completely. These numbers do seem very high. We eat at Ohana's everytime and do not spend $95 with tax and not tip for two people and we go peak time. We did the DP once and ate way too many desserts. We had many CSs and Snacks left over. We pay OOP and come out ahead each time.

You also can't add all the meals together. You have to do each day separately. It might work for some people but not for us.

Our 2013 Disney Video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLSzd7LSuFc
DisneyFansInNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 11:59 PM   #13
partigus
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyFansInNYC View Post
I agree completely. These numbers do seem very high. We eat at Ohana's everytime and do not spend $95 with tax and not tip for two people and we go peak time. We did the DP once and ate way too many desserts. We had many CSs and Snacks left over. We pay OOP and come out ahead each time.

You also can't add all the meals together. You have to do each day separately. It might work for some people but not for us.
No- there is no day by day commitment. If on the DP you could use 2 TS one day and then 2 CS the next if you desire.

One way we DID get a lot of value on the DP was using CS Bfast credits- we found we cound easily feed the family of 5 with three adult meals (they don't track adult/kid for cs)
2010 Contemporary (5)
2009 Beach Club Villas (6)
2008 Wilderness Lodge (5)
2005 French Quarter (7)
2004 Wilderness Lodge (2)
2004 Marriott World Center (2)
2003 Polynesian (4)
1996 Port Orleans (4)
1992 Off Site (2)
1988 Grad Night (1)
1988 Naval Training Center (1)
1987 Grad Night (1)
1987 Naval Training Center (1)
Several family day trips- early 80's (4)
Trips to Fort Wilderness Campgrounds in early 70's (?)
partigus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 02:58 AM   #14
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by autumnpalm View Post
Just remember that with DDP you may be tipping more than if you ordered OOP as you will be tipping on a higher bill amount due to desserts, drinks, higher entrees that are ordered just to maximize the "value" of each credit.
That's a good point.

Every time I write out what we truly would order, what wouldn't make us ill or get horribly in the way of our fitness goals (taking into account how much walking is involved in a Disney vacation (I wore my heart rate monitor at disneyland a few times, and I've burned 2000 calories by very early afternoon)), it doesn't come anywhere near what the dining plan would cost. But I go by what I really would order (which is easy b/c we're vegetarian, and there aren't THAT many options for us, though the options are often pretty great).

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 08:17 AM   #15
davedmaine
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I asked because your numbers are so far off.. You made a mistake somewhere. I thought it might have been the tips..
davedmaine is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: