Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-24-2013, 03:12 PM   #1
cadale
Mouseketeer

First timer question

So excited that we booked our first cruise!

Is there any difference between taking disney transportation from MCO to the port and taking a private car service? Wasn't sure if one did more for you than the other. I know there is a fee with either service.

Thanks.

2000: ASM, 2003: ASM, 2006: POR, 2007: CSR, 2008: POR, 2008: VWL, 2009: SSR, 2010: BLT, 2011: OKW, 2011: OKW, 2012: BLT, 2013: SSR, BLT/AK

cadale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 03:17 PM   #2
Grumpy333
Earning My Ears

We've done both. We prefer to get our own transfers, that way we can stop at a grocery store on our way and pick when we arrive. We've only gotten a Disney transfer from a Disney Resort though, not the airport.
Register to remove

Old 01-24-2013, 03:18 PM   #3
andersonfamily
Mouseketeer

We've never taken the Disney bus. With 5 it is always cheaper for us to take a private car than to take the bus. Plus we get to decide when we are picked up and dropped off and we can make a stop if we need to (pick up some wine or water to take on the boat).
2014 Fantasy 7 Day Cruise 3/15/2014
DD9, DD7, DS5

andersonfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 03:52 PM   #4
kcashner
DIS Veteran

They typical break even point in terms of cost is at about 3 1/2 to 4 people.

On the way TO the cruise terminal, DCL will claim your luggage from baggage check (actually before it even gets placed on the carousel) and you'll see it outside your cabin on the ship--no need to mess with bags at all unless you wish to. This applies to ALL domestic airlines. If you use a limo service, ou'll claim your bags and take them to the driver. They will be delivered to the terminal porters who will need a tip.

On the way back TO MCO, IF you are on a participating airline with flights at the appropriate times, you can place your luggage outside your cabin on the last night and not see it again till it arrives at your home airport. Anything else (not on a participating airline, flight too early, etc. will result in the luggage system being the same whether you use DCL or a private service.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 06:13 PM   #5
cadale
Mouseketeer

Thanks for the info!

Doing all the transfers with a private service allows me to pick the time? That would be a great incentive. I am assuming then that we would handle our luggage throughout the trip, right?

2000: ASM, 2003: ASM, 2006: POR, 2007: CSR, 2008: POR, 2008: VWL, 2009: SSR, 2010: BLT, 2011: OKW, 2011: OKW, 2012: BLT, 2013: SSR, BLT/AK

cadale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 06:25 PM   #6
jdb in AZ
It could end up curdled

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadale View Post
Thanks for the info!

Doing all the transfers with a private service allows me to pick the time? That would be a great incentive. I am assuming then that we would handle our luggage throughout the trip, right?
Yes, you handle your luggage throughout.

When you do your online check-in you'll choose your port-arrival-time. Depending on how many people have checked in before you, you will usually get an arrival time before the DCL transfer buses begin arriving around 1 p.m.
jdb in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 08:38 PM   #7
lanejudy

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdb in AZ View Post
Yes, you handle your luggage throughout.

When you do your online check-in you'll choose your port-arrival-time. Depending on how many people have checked in before you, you will usually get an arrival time before the DCL transfer buses begin arriving around 1 p.m.
Above in bold only pertains to transfers from WDW resorts. DCL transfers from MCO run approx. every 20 minutes or when full if sooner, and begin arriving at the port around 10:30am or so. That first bus will usually be the first people allowed into the terminal.

To OP...for DCL transfers from MCO, you go directly to the desk at MCO after getting off your flight and you'll be assigned the next bus. As others mentioned they will handle the luggage; it is very convenient and likely will get you to port as quickly as most any method. Downside is the cost if you have a larger party, and if you wish to make a stop on the way to the port that won't happen on the bus. DCL transfers from WDW resorts will only pick-up at the resorts sometime between 11:30 and 1:30pm (you get no say), with arrival at the port around 2-2:30pm.
lanejudy is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: