Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-25-2013, 04:04 PM   #1
Mike Bartenhagen
DIS Veteran

Many Trips to WDW...Never To DL Please Help, How do they Compare?

We have been to WDW many times, every other year for a long time. Our kids could probably walk the parks blindfolded. We always enjoy the multiple parks and have never had a desire to go to DL instead of WDW. Last week I was given the opportunity to participate in a conference along with my family and in looking at the hotel information I see that we will be 10 minutes from DL on a trip with hotel and airfare paid for so I am seriously considering an extra day or two so we can visit DL. I am planner, it seems as though I will spend a year planning for a week trip to WDW and that's taking into consideration many trips to the park and a feeling that I have a very good understanding of the Walt Disney World parks, properties, transportation, etc. Contrast that to a quick trip to a park (DL) I have never really thought about visiting or understanding on a trip that will be coming up soon and I am feeling a bit overwhemed.

I have done some reading but would like some input from those that have done both WDW and DL. My opinion of WDW is that it's more of a region than a park....4 parks, 2 waterparks, countless properties, Downtown Disney, buses, trains, boats, miles and miles of road...it is massive. As I look at DL on google maps it appears to be more of a theme park in the middle of a big city.

As a starting point I have found this list from 2009:

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=802084

Would you say this is still a valid list? As I said we have been on every ride at WDW many times most of them within the last few months so my goal with this trip would be to experience DL and California Adventure while being certain we visited the attractions that were unique to the two parks.

If the list is still valid that seems to be an awesome start for planning, if not any other input would be appreciated.
Mike Bartenhagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 04:12 PM   #2
Girimama33
"I've disgraced the forces of evil."

This is a really good thread that covers a lot of bases for WDW vets: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1162599
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-25-2013, 04:21 PM   #3
squirrel
DIS Veteran

DLR is more geared to the locals. Check the hours the park will be open for your dates-they are short during slower times of the year. The maximum number of days you can get is a 5 day ticket without buying extra days at full price or an AP.

The link above will give you the list of rides at DL/DCA that are different than WDW's. Hopping is very easy to do, although now they are taking everyone's photos as the enter the parks it might be more of a pain.
WDW (Pop) Sept. 5-19 2008 Free Dining
WDW (Pop) Oct. 1-15 2009 Free Dining
WDW (Pop) Sept. 30-Oct. 14 2010 Free Dining
WDW (Pop-BC) Sept. 29-Oct. 13 2011 Free Dining
Wonder and DLR (BWPPI) Sept. 10-20 2012
Wonder and DLR (DI&S) Sept. 9-21 2013
squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 04:22 PM   #4
HydroGuy
The code is more what you'd call guidelines than actual rules
Inquiring fairy minds want to know: Does Hydroguy like World of Color?

Mary Jo's list looks to be about three years old. So maybe she can update it? MJ, you reading this?

You refer to DL as if there is only one park. DL is part of Disneyland Resort and so it is more than just a single park. But it is much smaller than WDW.

There are many differences between the resorts. The thread posted by Giri in the PP will cover a lot of ground for you. It will help you start asking questions you do not yet know you should be asking.

And finally, I hope you can get at least two days at DLR. It really needs four days minimum. A two day trip to DLR would be sort of like a 3-4 day trip to WDW. Would you have fun? Sure. Would you miss a whole lot? Yes. A one day trip to DLR will leave your head spinning. Try to get at least two days. A third or fourth day will be better still.

DLR 11/2014, JC Blog & WOCWD Blog (Tropicana), 07/2014 (DLH), 11/2013 (Day Trip), 8/2013 GCH (CCI for D23 Expo), 10/2012 CCI, 07/2012 GCH, 08/2011 CCI (D23 Expo), 06/2011 GCH, 09/2010 BWPPI, 07/2010 GCH, 08/2009 (Day Trip), 05/2009 Doubletree Anaheim/OC, 11/2007 (Day Trip), 06/2007 BWPPI, 08/2006 (Day Trip), 11/2005 BWPPI, 08/2005 BWPPI, 07/2003 HoJo's, 07/2000 PPH, 1966-1998 Numerous Day Trips Including... 06/1981 (Grad Night)
WDW 05/2013 Swan, 02/2012 CBR, 03/2011 Dolphin, 05/2008 AKL, 06/2006 FW Cabins
DLR Paris 06/2007 - Newport Bay/Santa Fe/Holiday Inn (solo) - see my Trip Observations
Tokyo Disney Resort 11/2009 - SunRoute Plaza (with DS13) - see my Trip Report (with photos)
HydroGuy DLR Tips Compilation, DLR Abbreviations List, World of Color Superthread
HydroGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 04:24 PM   #5
damiel
DIS Veteran

Let me start by saying don't compare. They are two very different experiences. We do both DL and WDW every year and love both for different reasons. We look for and enjoy what is unique about each.
There is something to be said about walking in Walt's foot steps and knowing that many of the things you are experiencing are the original. Don't get caught up in the size, embrace the fact that DL isn't so big.
I love that I don't have to plan so much and make ADR's for every meal.
My DS and her DH love DL but really don't enjoy WDW because of the size and they swear the CM are happier at DL.
Some of the things we look forward to at DL that we can't find at WDW: Mickey Mouse pancakes (River Belle Terrace), Indiana Jones ride, Blue Bayou, DCA, The Matterhorn, Fantasmic! on the Rivers of America not a stale theater setting.
Enjoy it, you too may just love Dl as much as WDW!
Old 01-25-2013, 06:31 PM   #6
Mike Bartenhagen
DIS Veteran

Thanks for the replies...the link was very helpful and did a lot to calm my planning concerns. We will most likely have 2 days to spend in the parks, not a lot but we just went to WDW in November and are going on a cruise in April so days out of school and dollars spend are a big consideration.
Mike Bartenhagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 07:39 PM   #7
mmmears
DIS Veteran

I'll chime in to add that the two parks (DL and DCA) are super close to each other. Walking from one to the other is like walking to the monorail from the MK without the ramp. It definitely makes park hopping easier than at WDW, and it hardly takes any time compared to Florida.

You will notice that Main Street is shorter and the castle is much smaller... but that also translates to much smaller walks between rides. After a trip to WDW we are always surprised at how close all the rides are to one another in DL. Definitely makes touring the parks easier.

Also, if you get detailed park maps, you can see that there are lots of rides unique to DLR -- I would recommend riding those, plus some that differ from WDW (like Pirates, which is much longer and better at DL). There are some older rides (like Mr. Toad) that aren't at WDW, plus some like Cars Land, Indiana Jones, and Alice in Wonderland that have never existed in WDW.

We think of DL as a quick getaway and WDW as more of a long family vacation. They feel quite different, but we really enjoy both of them.

* Disneyland * Walt Disney World * Disneyland Paris ** Disney Wonder Bahamas * Disney Wonder Alaska *
*Grand Floridian Resort* Animal Kingdom Lodge * Polynesian Resort * Yacht Club * Beach Club * Disneyland Hotel * Grand Californian Resort *
mmmears is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: