Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-25-2013, 10:08 AM   #76
Eeyore'sthebest
DIS Veteran
Not So Tagless in NJ
They don't call them crackberries for nothing!
talk about chafing!

Our first 2 cruises we brought girl scout cookies with us. We gave the cookies out to our stateroom hostess, our serving crew, the bingo helpers that helped my disabled DH with all his bingo bots (he played a lot ) and DD found a couple of cast members that treated her like a princess.

All tipped positions were overtipped in cash and then given a box of cookies on top of it. Our one assistant server came up to us at breakfast the last morning and said he ate his whole box with a cup of tea and he really appreciated it. The non-tipped people were just happy that someone thought of them. Did they share them or give them away, very possibly.

That being said, the next 5 cruises I forgot to bring the cookies and the cruises were just fine.

On our one set of cruises we did a B2B. The dining servers brought us coconut shrimp as a treat. We had 2 full plates of it for 5 people. We asked for a lid for the second plate and they let us take it back to our stateroom. We decided before we even hit the room that we weren't going to eat it. So I asked our host if he wanted it. He tried to decline it gently so I asked him if he could put plate in with all the other room service plates because we weren't going to eat it. His eyes widen and he said "REALLY?". He took the plate and thanked us profusely the next day. He said he enjoyed it with his co-workers after they were done. So 2 nights later when we got more shrimp (serving crew really liked us by that point), all I did was lift the lid and he took the plate right out of my hands with a big smile!! I know it was definitely better than cookies!!
Old 01-25-2013, 10:11 AM   #77
EPCOTatNight
I am the Polynesian Parking guy and the Original DISard of Oz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by momm2four View Post
Wow! This thread did take an ugly turn...call it a discussion if you want, but the last few posts making snide comments about giving CMs "melted candy bars" WERE made with a derogatory tone, as well as the posters who keep insisting that giving people an unexpected treat of candy is somehow selfish because the "payback" is that the giver is made to feel good about themselves.

I live 2 minutes from Walmart, Target, Walgreens, a mall and most any other store you'd want to go to. I have access and the financial ability to go and buy myself any treat I want. HOWEVER, if someone brings me a Hershey bar or puts a Diet Coke in my mailbox at school just to say "Thank you" or "Thinking of you" do I say, "I didn't need you to buy me this...I can buy my own"? Do I think "I bet they only did that to feel good about themselves"?... NO....I say thank you and it really does make my day that someone took the time to give me an unexpected treat.

I say lighten up...I'm just glad there are people in the world who want to go around giving out treats to people instead of giving out negativity and complaints. I'll take a Snickers please....

Lori P.
Are you not a part of the problem when you only point out the "negative" posts that are opposite of your feelings, but not those on your side of the "debate"?Tone is about how you read it because text has no inflection, volume, or physical component to it. I choose to take all the points that I mentioned before and not let it bother me. Lastly, if one wants to give candy to spread joy and make someone feel good, why doesn't that mentality apply on here?
(8/2006 ASMo) (8/2007 Pop) (5/2009 3 night Wonder) (12/2009 ASM/Pop) (1/2011 Pop) (1/2012 CSR/WL) (1/2013 ASMo/4 night Dream) (5/2013 6 night Magic*Galveston*) (12/2013 7 night Fantasy) (3/2014 SSR) (8/2014 BLT/AKV) (1/2015 7 night Magic)

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-25-2013, 10:38 AM   #78
momm2four
We all have those little "skeletons" in our closets, don't we?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPCOTatNight View Post
Are you not a part of the problem when you only point out the "negative" posts that are opposite of your feelings, but not those on your side of the "debate"?Tone is about how you read it because text has no inflection, volume, or physical component to it. I choose to take all the points that I mentioned before and not let it bother me. Lastly, if one wants to give candy to spread joy and make someone feel good, why doesn't that mentality apply on here?

WDW Oct. '02 HIFS DCL Wonder Oct '05 WDW Oct. 05 PORDCL Magic Oct '08WDW Oct. 08 Nick HotelUniversal Bonnet Creek Resort '10WDW/Universal Bonnet Creek Resort '12DCL Fantasy June '12
Old 01-25-2013, 11:11 AM   #79
disney1990
Wow, it make my heart skip a beat
I'm going to miss these when the season ends
Lighting the Way to Paradise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaspar Houser View Post
Wha ha ha ha ha who told you that?
Most of the crew goes ashore as soon as there off duty and they have a blast
They work all day but not five days without free time.
I always enjoy the pictures of my friend when he and his mates are ashore and believe me they know more about "the good life "than the guests. And no they will not tell you were they hang out because they are on "time without passengers",let alone passengers that handout warm melted candy.
The staff has plenty of free time every trip. They are not slaves that have to work 24 hours a day.
Plenty of free time? Our server in October said that he gets off 2 (8 hour shifts) a weeks. His day starts before breakfast and ends following the late dinner. I know that some people in shows get more time off, because I saw several relaxing on the ship. But not everybody has that freedom.

Old 01-25-2013, 11:30 AM   #80
jjje
One time I saw a guy wear cut-off jean shorts to dinner.

I think the Girl Scout cookies for cast members are a great idea since everyone loves Girl Scout cookies and that's actually something the cast members might have a hard time finding and buying during their breaks off the ship.

A friend of mine has a brother who works on the Dream and I've seen picture of his cabin. Based on the huge amount of snacks and candy he had in there either he has time to go buy the stuff he wants or a LOT of people are passing out candy and snack. (I'm not putting down anyone who gives out candy. To each his own. I'm sure the gesture is always appreciated.)

Mom Dad and two perfectly imperfect kids Son (13) and Daughter (8)

1982-89 too many trips to Disneyland to count, 1991 Disneyland Paris, 1994 Disney World @ Beach Club, 1999 Honeymoon in Disney World @ Caribbean Beach Resort, 2001 Disney World @ All Star Music, 2004 Disney World during Hurricane Jeanne @ All Star Sports, 2005 Disney World off property, 2006 Disney World with a newborn @ All Star Movies, 2008 Disney World to celebrate surrogacy #1 @ Port Orleans French Quarter, 2010 Disneyland to celebrate surrogacy #2, 2012 Disney World @ Port Orleans Riverside to celebrate surrogacy #3, 2013 Bahamas on the Magic, 2013 Caribbean on the Wonder, 2014 Panama Canal on the Wonder

Old 01-25-2013, 11:34 AM   #81
lilpooh108
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfox97 View Post
On our Fantasy cruise this past Dec., DH got off the ship in Costa Maya & Cozumel to use the Internet while I stayed on the ship with DD on the pool deck. In Cozumel, he went to Starbucks, bought a cup of coffee (at the bottom of the receipt is a code to use their WiFi) & he said Starbucks was *packed* with DCL crew. He said it was like wall-to-wall crew (Princess Tiana sat next to him!). Our server told us about how much he enjoys the San Juan calls on the Fantasy because there is an outlet mall there & he loves to go there and shop for stuff 70% off. They definitely get off the ship.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
We got to.the ports really late in Seattle and saw 3 cabs of servers super excited, getting out of the cab toting ROSS bags talking about name brand sweaters. And these were a bunch of guys. It was super cute.

I figured out why the anti candy people have a problem with it (including me) . The intention is nice but the candy is condescending. Almost like you think they are village people who've never seen candy. They probably rather have Ralph Lauren polo's from what I saw. Or cigarettes.

Gratitude for the coconut shrimp? I believe that! Sounds better than candy to me.
We left our room steward 3 liters of French wine. I'm sure he had to pool it but he seemed truly excited.

Last edited by lilpooh108; 01-25-2013 at 11:48 AM.
Old 01-25-2013, 12:19 PM   #82
mmouse37
Mickey for Me!
Likes surprises

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futurist View Post
OK, thanks to everyone for all the thoughts. It's been insightful in many, many different ways.

I've got what I asked for, so how about we let the topic drop before people start getting hot under the collar. We're allowed to have differing opinions.

Have fun, and be kind!

Richard
Closing this for you!!!

MJ
Disney Dream - 5 times - Official Maiden Voyage January 26, 2011
Disney Fantasy - 2 times

Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: