Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-25-2013, 06:34 AM   #61
Silverfox97
PLATINUM Castaway Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXDCLfan

Exactly All the crew members get to get off the ship in port every so often and can go buy their own candy and everything else they need/want. The bottom line is "cash is king"

I have a friend that has worked on the Magic for almost 12 years now and I always offer to bring him anything he may need, only time he requested something ...it was a lap top computer. He did not have the time and resources to research were to get the best deal so I used my employee discount to hook him up.
On our Fantasy cruise this past Dec., DH got off the ship in Costa Maya & Cozumel to use the Internet while I stayed on the ship with DD on the pool deck. In Cozumel, he went to Starbucks, bought a cup of coffee (at the bottom of the receipt is a code to use their WiFi) & he said Starbucks was *packed* with DCL crew. He said it was like wall-to-wall crew (Princess Tiana sat next to him!). Our server told us about how much he enjoys the San Juan calls on the Fantasy because there is an outlet mall there & he loves to go there and shop for stuff 70% off. They definitely get off the ship.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

2016 Wonder Jan Southern ~ 2015 Magic June 11n Norway/Iceland; Dream Oct 4n ~ 2014 Fantasy Mar Eastern; Magic Oct Southern/B2B repo ~ 2013 Fantasy Mar Eastern; Dream Oct 4n; Oct Magic B2B ~
2012 Feb Dream & Fantasy x2 June Eastern, Dec Western ~ 2011 Magic x2 Jan 5n DD, Oct Western ~ 2010 Wonder Aug 5n DD ~ 2005 Fairytale Wedding @ GF Wedding Pavilion & 3n Wonder
Old 01-25-2013, 07:06 AM   #62
mdsoccermom
DIS Veteran

I really don't understand why people think CMs are locked away below decks being fed nothing but gruel. Yes, their contracts are long and they work incredibly hard. But, they do get to leave the ship, see sunshine, and buy their own personal items. Of course they act so appreciative to receive your stuff. That's their job.

It reminds me of the DISer who invited her stateroom attendant to look out her balcony. She acted as if she did him the biggest favor on earth.

You want to give candy? Fine. But own up to the fact that you are doing it to make yourself happy.

Last edited by mdsoccermom; 01-25-2013 at 07:42 AM.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-25-2013, 08:18 AM   #63
BlakeandMaddysMomma
Mouseketeer

I was on the Fantasy last week and the lady that invited her room steward to the balcony actually came to mind. All of the room stewards go out on everybody's balcony twice a day while they are in you rooms!!!! They can enjoy it, you don't have to invite them to do it while they are trying to get their work done. They will accept the invite, to make you feel good, but you are actually just delaying them.
One thing that your room steward would appreciate though, ask her/him which port if any they are getting off the ship at. Tell him/her they can skip your room that morning. I know our room steward seemed overly happy with this. She had the opportunity to get off in St Thomas, she said they usually get to every other week it something like that. But she only got to get off if she was done about an hour earlier than every other day. I told her she could skip our room that morning. Seriously, I can make a bed!!
Just something to think about!! Also, now that I have been, I really don't think they are as happy about the candy as we think they are. I think like PP said, they act happy to make us happy because its their job!!
Old 01-25-2013, 08:21 AM   #64
declansdad
DIS Dad#639
Still waiting for his first one

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsoccermom View Post
I really don't understand why people think CMs are locked away below decks being fed nothing but gruel. Yes, their contracts are long and they work incredibly hard. But, they do get to leave the ship, see sunshine, and buy their own personal items. Of course they act so appreciative to receive your stuff. That's their job.

It reminds me of the DISer who invited her stateroom attendant to look out her balcony. She acted as if she did him the biggest favor on earth.

You want to give candy? Fine. But own up to the fact that you are doing it to make yourself happy.

ASM - March 2004 --- POP - July 2005 --- POP and the Poly - August 2007 --- CBR - Aug 2008 --- POFQ August 2009--- POP Christmas 2010--- POFQ Aug 2011 --- Disney Dream and MK March 2013 --- EPCOT F&G March 2013 --- Pop July 2013 --- AK March 2014

me dw (pooksma) ds
DIS Dads Club Member #639

Our WDW photos on Photobucket, Our WDW photos on Flickr

Old 01-25-2013, 08:24 AM   #65
Kaspar Houser
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLSnell1981 View Post
We were informed, that the staff has very few days off and rarely time to go ashore. Also, they work all day long...and hard. Remember, not all positions can received cash/tips. So, I think treats are a kinds gesture.
Wha ha ha ha ha who told you that?
Most of the crew goes ashore as soon as there off duty and they have a blast
They work all day but not five days without free time.
I always enjoy the pictures of my friend when he and his mates are ashore and believe me they know more about "the good life "than the guests. And no they will not tell you were they hang out because they are on "time without passengers",let alone passengers that handout warm melted candy.
The staff has plenty of free time every trip. They are not slaves that have to work 24 hours a day.
Old 01-25-2013, 08:30 AM   #66
Kaspar Houser
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsoccermom View Post

I did sent that link post to my friend on board. I will not tell you what his and his friends answer to this was.
Old 01-25-2013, 08:32 AM   #67
mdsoccermom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaspar Houser View Post
Wha ha ha ha ha who told you that?
Most of the crew goes ashore as soon as there off duty and they have a blast
They work all day but not five days without free time.
I always enjoy the pictures of my friend when he and his mates are ashore and believe me they know more about "the good life "than the guests. And no they will not tell you were they hang out because they are on "time without passengers",let alone passengers that handout warm melted candy.
The staff has plenty of free time every trip. They are not slaves that have to work 24 hours a day.
On our last cruise (not DCL), our server told us how he was able to take leftover back to his cabin, and that he snacked on lobster and pâté the night before. He also told us about how he got off the ship in Cozumel, how he wired money home and went shopping, and about his lunch shore.

On another cruise, staff told us about how they went ashore and played soccer.
Old 01-25-2013, 09:31 AM   #68
Ccann
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaspar Houser

Of course they do. The time that "Uncle Tom" has to obey his master and slave all day has long gone

We are not cruise people but we had the chance to
visit our friend and get a "behind the scenes tour" when the ship was in port.
O the horror. He showed us the whole ship and of course the cabins and yes we stepped out on one of the balconies.

And just to be clear. EVERY CM ,also the non tipping positions, are allowed to accept cash. He or she just has to tell his supervisor.
So instead of a melted candy bar give a few Dollars to those you think deserve it.
I was told on our first cruise that by a crew member from the kids club. They could
Not accept my tip, if I insisted they would take it but it gets pooled into a "fund" for all the crew members in the kids club... Where the sup would use the money to buy snacks and etc for everyone to enjoy.....

I might not do the candy because it takes up so much space and can get heavy but I liked the I'd of calling cards or Internet cards or hey if they like star bucks that much a star bucks card.

That is a great idea about asking your cabin guy/gal which port they are getting off... And letting them skip your room.... (As long as they make a towel animal) jk...

Bottom line in my opinion is ANY gesture is appreciated it may or may not be an item they wanted but they know you are doing it because you appreciate what they have done. It's not what you give them its the message you are wanting to send them.
Old 01-25-2013, 09:38 AM   #69
Princess Dolly
Unfortunately it encroached the danger zone

Mmmmmm warm pocket candy. Now with that aside...

I show my appreciation with good tips for the tipped positions and for all crew members who made my cruise special I am sure to get their names so I can write about them in the survey at the end of our cruise. There is nothing better that you can do than giving them kudos in that survey. Many long lasting careers with upward mobility have been made because of Guest comments.
Old 01-25-2013, 09:48 AM   #70
momm2four
We all have those little "skeletons" in our closets, don't we?

Wow! This thread did take an ugly turn...call it a discussion if you want, but the last few posts making snide comments about giving CMs "melted candy bars" WERE made with a derogatory tone, as well as the posters who keep insisting that giving people an unexpected treat of candy is somehow selfish because the "payback" is that the giver is made to feel good about themselves.

I live 2 minutes from Walmart, Target, Walgreens, a mall and most any other store you'd want to go to. I have access and the financial ability to go and buy myself any treat I want. HOWEVER, if someone brings me a Hershey bar or puts a Diet Coke in my mailbox at school just to say "Thank you" or "Thinking of you" do I say, "I didn't need you to buy me this...I can buy my own"? Do I think "I bet they only did that to feel good about themselves"?... NO....I say thank you and it really does make my day that someone took the time to give me an unexpected treat.

I say lighten up...I'm just glad there are people in the world who want to go around giving out treats to people instead of giving out negativity and complaints. I'll take a Snickers please....

Lori P.

WDW Oct. '02 HIFS DCL Wonder Oct '05 WDW Oct. 05 PORDCL Magic Oct '08WDW Oct. 08 Nick HotelUniversal Bonnet Creek Resort '10WDW/Universal Bonnet Creek Resort '12DCL Fantasy June '12
Old 01-25-2013, 10:05 AM   #71
Kaspar Houser
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by momm2four View Post
Wow! This thread did take an ugly turn...call it a discussion if you want, but the last few posts making snide comments about giving CMs "melted candy bars" WERE made with a derogatory tone, as well as the posters who keep insisting that giving people an unexpected treat of candy is somehow selfish because the "payback" is that the giver is made to feel good about themselves.

I live 2 minutes from Walmart, Target, Walgreens, a mall and most any other store you'd want to go to. I have access and the financial ability to go and buy myself any treat I want. HOWEVER, if someone brings me a Hershey bar or puts a Diet Coke in my mailbox at school just to say "Thank you" or "Thinking of you" do I say, "I didn't need you to buy me this...I can buy my own"? Do I think "I bet they only did that to feel good about themselves"?... NO....I say thank you and it really does make my day that someone took the time to give me an unexpected treat.

I say lighten up...I'm just glad there are people in the world who want to go around giving out treats to people instead of giving out negativity and complaints. I'll take a Snickers please....

Lori P.
Really? You just take candy from random strangers?
Did it ever occur to you that this gift could be a bribe? Maybe worse the "gift" was pucked on or exposed to things I can not even write down here?
Old 01-25-2013, 10:15 AM   #72
Ancaster
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by momm2four View Post

Lori P.
+1

The only negative thing one can do is nothing in return for exemplary service.

These people work hard, there is no point arguing what is in a CM's head as to what they would like to be tipped. Tip money, candy, gifts, whatever.
They aren't expecting anything back in the first place.

Even respecting, talking, and being genuinely interested in them as a person goes a long way.
Old 01-25-2013, 10:16 AM   #73
momm2four
We all have those little "skeletons" in our closets, don't we?

Quote:
Did it ever occur to you that this gift could be a bribe? Maybe worse the "gift" was pucked on or exposed to things I can not even write down here?
Lol...well, since we were referring to giving people an extra thank you gift on their jobs, I was actually thinking about at work, which is why I put "at school" (I'm a teacher) in my post.

So yes, if I'm working and someone (random or not) hands me a wrapped piece of candy and says "Thanks for your hard work...we appreciate all you do", I sure will accept it and be glad there are people like that in the world. If there is any reason to think that it has been tampered with (although I don't usually subscribe to conspiracy theories), I would not eat it. That would just be silly.

Lori P.

WDW Oct. '02 HIFS DCL Wonder Oct '05 WDW Oct. 05 PORDCL Magic Oct '08WDW Oct. 08 Nick HotelUniversal Bonnet Creek Resort '10WDW/Universal Bonnet Creek Resort '12DCL Fantasy June '12

Last edited by momm2four; 01-25-2013 at 10:25 AM.
Old 01-25-2013, 10:16 AM   #74
Ancaster
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Um, Halloween?

And that's why you give at the end, no bribery insinuations.
Old 01-25-2013, 10:28 AM   #75
Futurist
REAL magic is when you can make people WANT to believe!

OK, thanks to everyone for all the thoughts. It's been insightful in many, many different ways.

I've got what I asked for, so how about we let the topic drop before people start getting hot under the collar. We're allowed to have differing opinions.

Have fun, and be kind!

Richard
Disney Dream – Feb. 6-10, 2011
Disney Fantasy – Maiden Voyage, March 31-April 7, 2012; February 8th-15th, 2014
Disney Wonder, Jan. 28-Feb. 2, 2013
EBPC, Disney Wonder, Sept. 12th-26th, 2014 (36th anniversary celebration)
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: