Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-24-2013, 09:20 PM   #46
Ccann
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosnits
Thank you to those of you who answered my question as to whether or not they receive tons of candy. This board is such a wealth of great information I find it hard to believe everyone isn't here! I also didn't think about those who do not accept tips. I look forward to getting some little gifts ready to show my thanks for a job well done.
Thumbs up
Old 01-24-2013, 09:28 PM   #47
Ccann
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosnits
Thank you to those of you who answered my question as to whether or not they receive tons of candy. This board is such a wealth of great information I find it hard to believe everyone isn't here! I also didn't think about those who do not accept tips. I look forward to getting some little gifts ready to show my thanks for a job well done.
Thumbs up!!!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-24-2013, 09:44 PM   #48
TLSnell1981

Sense isn't very common anymore
I can't wait for T shirts and cover ups

Okay, I'm in! What kind of treats, do you all suggest?
Old 01-24-2013, 09:48 PM   #49
EPCOTatNight
I am the Polynesian Parking guy and the Original DISard of Oz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by declansdad View Post
The way I read many of the posts is that people do it to make themselves feel good, not necessarily the crew member.
Exactly! I agree. But we are men and a little more practical. Most posters that give gifts are women and are a little more emotionally invested in the people that they come across. That's why women are usually friendlier than men. That can be good and bad. I don't have a problem with those who give trinkets, candy, etc.... I just don't think it makes as big of a difference as they think. I would rather just give extra money because I know that it won't be thrown away.
(8/2006 ASMo) (8/2007 Pop) (5/2009 3 night Wonder) (12/2009 ASM/Pop) (1/2011 Pop) (1/2012 CSR/WL) (1/2013 ASMo/4 night Dream) (5/2013 6 night Magic*Galveston*) (12/2013 7 night Fantasy) (3/2014 SSR) (6/2014 BLT/AKV) (11/2014 5 night Wonder*Miami*) (1/2015 AKV/BLT)

Old 01-24-2013, 09:54 PM   #50
Futurist
REAL magic is when you can make people WANT to believe!

WOW! I didn't expect this...

First and foremost, thanks to all who posted and gave me advice and a lot to think about.

Next, to those who are wondering why anyone would do this, I don't know if it's a good idea, I'm just trying to do something nice –*pixie dust!* – for CMs. I hope they like this. I know when I worked on a ship (NOT a cruise ship), the food got monotonous, and I really did appreciate candy when I could get it, so I'm basing it partly on my own experiences, as well as things I've read here.

I am also planning on tipping above the expected. This is purely intended to be pixie dust - a random act of kindness. I know that many of the people on these ships send virtually all of their money home, but something like candy (or calling cards, or Walmart gift cards, etc.) they have to use on themselves, which is the point.

Finally, I called one of the shoreside concierge people and asked if this was a good idea, and what would be favoured. He said he had worked on the ships, and he knew that candy was appreciated - and not very common.

I didn't mean to cause any kind of commotion, and hope no one took it wrongly.

All the best,
Richard
WBTA – Sept. 18-Oct. 2, 2010
Disney Dream, Feb. 6-10, 2011
Disney Fantasy Maiden Voyage(!!), March 31-April 7, 2012
Disney Wonder, Jan. 28-Feb. 2, 2013
Disney Fantasy, February 8th-15th, 2014
EBPC, Disney Wonder, Sept. 12th-26th, 2014 (36th anniversary celebration)
Old 01-24-2013, 09:59 PM   #51
EPCOTatNight
I am the Polynesian Parking guy and the Original DISard of Oz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futurist View Post
First and foremost, thanks to all who posted and gave me advice and a lot to think about.

Next, to those who are wondering why anyone would do this, I don't know if it's a good idea, I'm just trying to do something nice –*pixie dust!* – for CMs. I hope they like this. I know when I worked on a ship (NOT a cruise ship), the food got monotonous, and I really did appreciate candy when I could get it, so I'm basing it partly on my own experiences, as well as things I've read here.

I am also planning on tipping above the expected. This is purely intended to be pixie dust - a random act of kindness. I know that many of the people on these ships send virtually all of their money home, but something like candy (or calling cards, or Walmart gift cards, etc.) they have to use on themselves, which is the point.

Finally, I called one of the shoreside concierge people and asked if this was a good idea, and what would be favoured. He said he had worked on the ships, and he knew that candy was appreciated - and not very common.

I didn't mean to cause any kind of commotion, and hope no one took it wrongly.

All the best,
Richard
Don't overreact. People can have differing opinions without it being a "commotion". It's a discussion amongst people of different races, ages, gender, geographical location, etc...., so there is bound to be some debate. But it's all good. No big deal.
(8/2006 ASMo) (8/2007 Pop) (5/2009 3 night Wonder) (12/2009 ASM/Pop) (1/2011 Pop) (1/2012 CSR/WL) (1/2013 ASMo/4 night Dream) (5/2013 6 night Magic*Galveston*) (12/2013 7 night Fantasy) (3/2014 SSR) (6/2014 BLT/AKV) (11/2014 5 night Wonder*Miami*) (1/2015 AKV/BLT)

Old 01-24-2013, 10:02 PM   #52
SoMosMom
Earning My Ears

We took a variety bag of mini chocolate candy bars (twix, snickers, m&ms) and the kids and I would go candy-bombing. Yes - I confess: It made me feel good. We started out leaving them on the housekeeping carts all down the hallway when nobody was around but the next day they had figured out it was us and seemed very appreciative. Sometimes we just handed 1 or 2 pieces to CM's that we saw along the way, maintenance guys and 'behind the scenes people'. At first they were kind of confused when my 9 year went running up to them, but when she told them that it was for them, they were really sweet about it. Looking back, I could see where they would be doubtful about getting candy from a kid (is it clean? what's wrong with it?) but it made her feel good and they could always toss it if they didn't want it.

We also took some goodies from a big basket received at Christmas - just a variety of sweets and salty stuffs for the Kids Club counselors (they are not allowed to accept cash). I wasn't sure how to present it so I just put it in a bag and had my daughter take it when she went to the kids club. She reported that they loved it.

ps - we drove so we had plenty of room in the luggage and didn't have to worry about it melting because it was so cool (January). Bonus: it left a big space in my luggage for souvenirs. If we had flown, I would have taken non-meltables.

1TL Me and 5
2013: Disney Cruise, Galveston/Eastern Caribbean; Coronado Springs 2012: Grand Floridian 2011: Wilderness Lodge 2010: Port Orleans, Riverside:

...and the pre-BHE trips:Disney Cruise, Caribbean 2008; 1999 Annual Passholder; WDW First Visit: 1990

Oh My Goodness this Disboards thing is so addictive... what have I gotten myself into?????
Old 01-24-2013, 10:13 PM   #53
declansdad
DIS Dad#639
Still waiting for his first one

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPCOTatNight View Post
Don't overreact. People can have differing opinions without it being a "commotion". It's a discussion amongst people of different races, ages, gender, geographical location, etc...., so there is bound to be some debate. But it's all good. No big deal.

ASM - March 2004 --- POP - July 2005 --- POP and the Poly - August 2007 --- CBR - Aug 2008 --- POFQ August 2009--- POP Christmas 2010--- POFQ Aug 2011 --- Disney Dream and MK March 2013 --- EPCOT F&G March 2013 --- Pop July 2013 --- AK March 2014

me dw (pooksma) ds
DIS Dads Club Member #639

Our WDW photos on Photobucket, Our WDW photos on Flickr

Old 01-24-2013, 10:47 PM   #54
lilpooh108
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Exactly! I agree. But we are men and a little more practical. Most posters that give gifts are women and are a little more emotionally invested in the people that they come across. That's why women are usually friendlier than men. That can be good and bad. I don't have a problem with those who give trinkets, candy, etc.... I just don't think it makes as big of a difference as they think. I would rather just give extra money because I know that it won't be thrown away.
I'm a woman. I'll get flamed for this, I'm sure. But I agree with you and the other poster that thinks its not as big a deal as people might think. I'm sure they appreciate the gesture, but the candy itself?

I'm also not saying to not "pixie dust" someone, but I'm practical and wouldn't want to go through all that trouble just to have someone throw my good will gift away.

This thread did give me alot to think about. I will try to bring something "extra" (beyond the cash tips) for them. Probably phone cards or something.

Quote:
Totally agree. This is a discussion board. Just discussing, no disrespect. It's so interesting to hear all different opinions.
Old 01-24-2013, 11:11 PM   #55
Kaspar Houser
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by declansdad View Post
I have read posts on this board and other cruise boards, some even by crew members, that state they end up throwing much of the candy away and don't need it. Those posted usually get buried by people defending giving candy and other trinkets.

I don't think you would ever get a negative response to your gifts; afterall, these people work in customer service.
You are so right. The crew is polite and smiles but the candy goes into the bin. Lets be honest who of us would eat candy that a complete stranger schleps around in the heat? Or even worse candy that is butt warm from youre trousers pockets?
The crew learned, just as all of us, not to take candy from a stranger.

Besides the crew has plenty of shore time and they love to go out eat and drink a little.
They know were to buy there own stuff or does any one think they have trouble buying toothpaste,deodorant or other things they need?
Old 01-25-2013, 12:14 AM   #56
PizzieDuster
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLSnell1981 View Post
Okay, I'm in! What kind of treats, do you all suggest?
Gum, mints, microwave popcorn or POP TARTS! Yummmms. Chocolate or brown sugar pop tarts! They can toast em up and everyone will say "what smells so good? I just got candy! Let's trade!"

ETA: OMG, my diet is killing me. I can't get past the chocolate pop tarts down stairs. Why did I bring that up! Ahhh.
Royal Carribean - Explorer of the Seas 4/16/06
Royal Carribean - Freedom of the Seas 4/8/07
Returning to the Magic - 6/29/08 - West Coast
Liberty of the Seas - 4/09
Disney Wonder Mother/DD12 Cruise to Nowhere 1/21/11

Disney Wonder Mexican Riviera 1/29/12 Mother/DD13 Cruise (taking Grandma and Nephew DN5 along)

Last edited by PizzieDuster; 01-25-2013 at 01:42 AM.
Old 01-25-2013, 12:19 AM   #57
TLSnell1981

Sense isn't very common anymore
I can't wait for T shirts and cover ups

We were informed, that the staff has very few days off and rarely time to go ashore. Also, they work all day long...and hard. Remember, not all positions can received cash/tips. So, I think treats are a kinds gesture.
Old 01-25-2013, 12:39 AM   #58
redsonja76
Mouseketeer

I used to work at a bank (I know, not a cruise ship lol) and I remember still a couple of customers that would make our day. 1 was a gas station owner who would bring in candy bars with the daily deposit. It totally made our day that he thought of us as more than just the bank staff. Another was the manager of cracker barrel who would bring in several boxes of hashbrown casserole with the deposit. And the third was the manager of Hardee's who would call and take our order for free breakfast foods before he brought the deposit. They wouldn't do it every day, it was always a surprise, and oh so appreciated. So, I think I will do this for those non tipped personnel on the ship, the ones that are oftentimes overlooked. Just to show my appreciation for their hardwork.
Old 01-25-2013, 01:13 AM   #59
TXDCLfan
Other cruise lines did it first, Disney did it right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilpooh108 View Post
Not to be weird but do they really want this? Most of the CMs (room stewards, engine guys, etc) are middle aged people from other countries. Do they really want candy? Other than cash and phone cards, I'm not sure how appreciative they will be of candy? I know they have very limited room in their "cabins." How do you know they're not just being polite?
Exactly All the crew members get to get off the ship in port every so often and can go buy their own candy and everything else they need/want. The bottom line is "cash is king"

I have a friend that has worked on the Magic for almost 12 years now and I always offer to bring him anything he may need, only time he requested something ...it was a lap top computer. He did not have the time and resources to research were to get the best deal so I used my employee discount to hook him up.

Old 01-25-2013, 01:21 AM   #60
TXDCLfan
Other cruise lines did it first, Disney did it right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaspar Houser View Post
You are so right. The crew is polite and smiles but the candy goes into the bin. Lets be honest who of us would eat candy that a complete stranger schleps around in the heat? Or even worse candy that is butt warm from youre trousers pockets?
The crew learned, just as all of us, not to take candy from a stranger.

Besides the crew has plenty of shore time and they love to go out eat and drink a little.
They know were to buy there own stuff or does any one think they have trouble buying toothpaste,deodorant or other things they need?
Exactly...sometimes people think that the crew is deprived of the simple things in life and held captive on the ship.

Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: