Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-24-2013, 01:34 PM   #1
Wshop
Mouseketeer

To Surprise or Not?

We leave for our cruise 3 weeks from today and have not yet told my son. I am thinking of just keeping it a secret until he sees the ship! Just pick him up from school, take him to the airport and then just tell him we are taking a trip but keep quiet about the Disney Cruise part. Is it better to let him look forward to the trip or spring it on him??
Wshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 01:37 PM   #2
Jareds_mommy
DIS Veteran

we did that with our kids once when our son was in grade 3, now in hind sight I wish we gave him even a few hours to process it, and get excited like we were

Jareds_mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-24-2013, 01:38 PM   #3
Tara619
Mouseketeer

I think it depends on the kid. We're surprising our son too. But he loves surprises. Some kids (and adults, like me) hate surprises. If you think he'll react well and not freak out, do it!

June 27-July 4, 2015 Disney Fantasy
June 22-29, 2013 Disney Fantasy
June 9-15, 2009 All Star Movies
April 10-17, 2004 Disney Magic
May 30-June 2, 2002 Disney Wonder
Tara619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 01:40 PM   #4
Bear3412
DIS Veteran

Both are wonderful.
Only you know your child.
We keep no secrets from or children.
Good Luck
Bear3412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 01:45 PM   #5
JimGA
Mouseketeer

Surprise him when you pick him up at school, we did that with our kids for a Disney World trip. The surprise was great!

Disney World 1978, 1995, 2010, 2011
PORS 2010, POFQ 2011, CBR 2012

Disney Dream, May 2013
Disney Fantasy, Thanksgiving 2015
JimGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 01:49 PM   #6
n5749w
Mouseketeer

I would pick him up from school and when he asks why tell him you are going on a trip. When he asks where, turn it into a guessing game. You can only answer with yes or no. Have fun!!
Majesty of the Seas 2009 (Abigail's and Mom's first)
Carnival Triumph 2010 (Last minute cruise)
Disney Dream 2013 (Last minute cruise and Olivia's first)
Disney Fantasy 2014 (Olivia's Birthday Cruise and Mike and Becky's first)
Disney Magic 2015 (Olivia's Birthday Cruise)
n5749w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 01:50 PM   #7
neg58
DIS Veteran

It might depend on what other activities and plans he has. He might know that there is a birthday party or soccer practice, and some kids get upset about missing things if it is sprung on them, but if they know in advance they are going to miss something, they can process it better.

I think part of the fun is anticipating the cruise. My daughter knew she was going but I saved the excursion of swimming with the dolphins as a suprise, and even the pillow case with the signatures (she liked that the best).

Nancy
neg58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 02:03 PM   #8
Wshop
Mouseketeer

All good suggestions and will take the suggestion to tell him on the way to the airport or the morning of. This will give him a day to digest and not keep him up at night with anticipation.
Wshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 02:12 PM   #9
ash-n-brensmom
DIS Veteran

We had planned on doing this for our upcoming cruise. It will be our two DD's first cruise. Every time a commercial for DCL would come on we would say how much we would love to do this some day. Well, each time both of them would adamantly say NO WAY!!! Don't EVER put me on a ship!!!

There went our idea for the surprise. There was no way we could do that to them. Instead we took some family cuddle time and popped in the DCL planning DVD and watched it together. By the end of it they were both "on board". We told them we were going in Oct and now they are both excited.

I guess, what I am trying to say is, we have surprised them with WDW trips and they loved it...this however was too new and scary to them to be a good surprise. Would that be something your DS would think? Or has he been on a cruise already and loved it?

Follow our Progress For March 2015http://www.disboards.com/showthread....1#post50810740
ash-n-brensmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 02:15 PM   #10
jm106
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by n5749w View Post
I would pick him up from school and when he asks why tell him you are going on a trip. When he asks where, turn it into a guessing game. You can only answer with yes or no. Have fun!!
I think that's what I'm doing. I'm going to give clues for each right answer as to where we will end up but keep it going until we get to ship if I can

7 days Hilton May 2009, 6 days CBR May 2011, 9 days ASMusic/AKL August 2012, Disney Wonder 5 nt Cozumel/Castaway Cay April 2013, 10 day split/Orlando IRC October 2014
jm106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 02:18 PM   #11
zoemurr
DIS Veteran

My kids

love to help with the planning. Our first trip they were 5/8 and DD poured over planning materials for hours. DS really likes to know what to expect to be comfortable in a new situation.

We are doing our first cruise in Aug and I know they would be disappointed if they didn't get to help pick out and plan anything.

Also, I would have a very hard time not planning anything when they were home and able to look over my shoulder.

I hate surprises.. so maybe I am jaded.
zoemurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 02:26 PM   #12
Jareds_mommy
DIS Veteran

for the cruise we gave it to them for Christmas, we had Mickey call and tell them.

Jareds_mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 02:57 PM   #13
wallawallakids
DIS Veteran

You can schedule a phone call from Mickey or Goofy online. That might be a fun surprise and you can do it a day or two ahead of time so he can be prepared. We surprised our kids with a trip to DL but that was different, they really wanted to go. They are not too excited about the cruise. I think they will have fun, but they have no real idea of what to base it on. They have never been on a cruise before. I have tried to over prepare them. We watched the DVD and tried to focus on the fun stuff on board. They were a little more excited about it after the DVD but again, they don't have and real reference. Actually DS 9 wasn't excited until he saw that there were tours of the ruins on Cozumel (Which he thought was like Indiana Jones?!) I never would have picked that as an excursion if he hadn't been so excited about it. I guess my point is, if you KNOW he will like the cruise and he has been before, or you have talked about it before, then go ahead and surprise him. However, be aware that you may not get the response you were hoping for and be ready to roll with that as well. Good luck and have a great trip!!!

wallawallakids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 03:07 PM   #14
Bear3412
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoemurr View Post
..... they would be disappointed if they didn't get to help pick out and plan anything....
Bear3412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 03:23 PM   #15
bfc2406
Earning My Ears

I'd personally go surprise all the way! We are surprising our little girl for our forthcoming trip to Orlando, followed by a Disney Dream cruise. Our DD (6) loves Disney and has been fortunate to travel there a couple of times from the Uk but we have decided to leave this one as a surprise. As we have to prepare for travel, ie suitcase etc, we have told her we are having a trip to Spain, so that we don't get caught out discussing our holiday. Our plan is to tell her about the Orlando part at the airport on departure, but when she thinks she is heading back to MCO to end our holiday she will in fact be on route to Port Canaveral. She will be ecstatic and I can't wait for the reponse! Camera will be at the ready.
bfc2406 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: