Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-25-2013, 10:46 AM   #121
luvmy3jewels
DIS Veteran

Had an epidural with my first child and it was such a terrible experience that my second two deliveries were natural. I won't bore you with the details, but sometimes things don't always work as planned during childbirth. Go into with an educated, but open, mind.
Old 01-25-2013, 10:49 AM   #122
mom2cookies
DIS Veteran

no 4 x.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-25-2013, 10:53 AM   #123
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania

DISboards Moderator

First two births, no. Last one (19 years ago), yes. I had a 'walking' epidural. It was wonderful. I felt no contractions but could get up and walk around, and use the bathroom. Only one issue.....the anesthisiologist never got back to me in time to give me the second part of the epi. So, when my dd was actually 'heading out', I had to push and just go with that pain!! He arrived about 2 mins after she was born!!! But other than that, it was a wonder drug!!!!! Would do it again in a heartbeat.
goofy4tink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 10:59 AM   #124
Tinker'n'Fun
"apple", peaches, "pumpkin pie", who's not ready holler "I"...
i'm just trying to be optimistic!
I am SO CLUELESS and I hate it!!

I had short deliveries if that makes any difference.

With my first I only had an IV and a few IV pain meds. The delivery was easy but I crashed afterwards.

Second delivery I had an epidural which I think was a horrible thing as I only had one push to go. I think they should have told me to suck it up for the one push. Plus my father had a heart transplant hours after and I had to leave the hospital. The epidural headache was worse than any contraction or push I had ever encountered. My family had to take care of my newborn and my little one as it was debilitating.

I still think properly placed and monitored, if you have a hard and or long labor that an epidural is a good thing. Just was not for me. Everyone is different.
Tinker'n'Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 11:08 AM   #125
tyniknate
DIS Veteran

First one, no.

Second one, yes. WORST HEADACHE EVER! Lasted 4 days before they finally found a med to work (and I get migraines, so that's saying something) Couldn't even hold the baby.

Third one, absolutely not.

tyniknate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 11:10 AM   #126
Twende
Best laid plans of Mouse and men.....

No. I never had one or ever considered having one. I have given birth 3 times at home. I have long labors, over 24 hours and rather good sized babies with the smallest being 8 pounds 8 ounces and the largest near 10 pounds.

Pushing felt GREAT!

I can honestly say that labor and birth were a lot of hard work but nothing that I would really describe as painful. Now kidney stones and gall stones .....those are painful. Abdominal surgery....now that is painful! But giving birth was just plain hard work!

Last edited by Twende; 01-25-2013 at 01:03 PM.
Twende is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 11:17 AM   #127
DawnM
Dawn

I had C-sections, so, yes. But with the first, the epidural was put in incorrectly and when I got to the OR they had to redo it. It was horrible.

living with 4 boys (dh included)
DawnM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 11:34 AM   #128
Zandy595
DIS Veteran
The other day I found a big honkin' frog in my toilet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinker'n'Fun View Post
I had short deliveries if that makes any difference.

With my first I only had an IV and a few IV pain meds. The delivery was easy but I crashed afterwards.

Second delivery I had an epidural which I think was a horrible thing as I only had one push to go. I think they should have told me to suck it up for the one push. Plus my father had a heart transplant hours after and I had to leave the hospital. The epidural headache was worse than any contraction or push I had ever encountered. My family had to take care of my newborn and my little one as it was debilitating.

I still think properly placed and monitored, if you have a hard and or long labor that an epidural is a good thing. Just was not for me. Everyone is different.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyniknate View Post
First one, no.

Second one, yes. WORST HEADACHE EVER! Lasted 4 days before they finally found a med to work (and I get migraines, so that's saying something) Couldn't even hold the baby.

Third one, absolutely not.
Didn't they offer you a blood patch? I had a horrible spinal headache for 2 days after delivery. My mom (RN) called the hospital to tell them about it and they said to bring me in immediately. They did the blood patch and my headache went away instantly.

Animal Kingdom Lodge Pop Century All Star Music All Star Movies Caribbean Beach DCL Wonder 2001 DCL Magic 2004, 2008 DCL Dream 2011, 2012, 2014 DCL Fantasy 2015
Zandy595 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 11:36 AM   #129
Funfire240
DIS Veteran

Yes both times and I didn't have any problems or side effects.
Old 01-25-2013, 11:36 AM   #130
themilesfamily
Wanna potty with Spongebob Squarepants?

My water broke at about five in the morning. I got to the hospital only a few centimeters dilated. I had an epidural and the positive thing is that it let me sleep for several hours with no pain while I dilated.

The negative: My contractions slowed down and the doctor gave me some pitocin to speed things up again. At that point either the epidural wore off or someone turned it off, (can they do that?), because:

1) the pitocin kicked in,
2) I went into transition, and
3) I pushed and had a minor tear, which was then sewn up,

all within about an hour and a half, and I felt all of that.

But, nothing and nobody is perfect and it all worked out okay. I did vow when I was done never to do that again. (And I haven't had any more children.) If I had another one, I might try it without the epidural. The pitocin was the worst part of the birth experience for me.
themilesfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 11:58 AM   #131
dislal
DIS Veteran

First and second ones yes

Third one nope I had him so quickly they barely got me ready the nurse was on one side telling me not to push and I would turn and look at my mom (DH missed his sons birth cause it went fast) and say I'm pushing and boom he was born....who needs a dr?
Old 01-25-2013, 12:01 PM   #132
mymickeyfans
Mouseketeer

YES!!! followed by an emergency c-section. Having the epidural put in was nothing compared to the pain of the contactions. I had no side effects.
mymickeyfans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 12:34 PM   #133
Belle2667
Ah, Disney, where the magic never stops!

Three kids = no epidurals. Longest labor was 16 hours and longest push time was 17 minutes.

First, I didn't want someone messing around with my spine (I know someone who couldn't walk for almost 6 months after her epidural.....not for me!)

Plus I had heard some horror stories of people pushing for hours and ending up with forcep-assisted deliveries.

I figured, if you can feel what your body is telling you, it would be an easier(for mom & baby) delivery. Sure, it hurt, but millions and millions of other women did it, so could I!
DS19
Belle2667 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 12:41 PM   #134
mjkacmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belle2667 View Post
Plus I had heard some horror stories of people pushing for hours and ending up with forcep-assisted deliveries.

I figured, if you can feel what your body is telling you, it would be an easier(for mom & baby) delivery!
I felt the opposite! I pushed out all 3 babies in under 15 minutes (last was the largest, 5 minutes). And I refused to push until they "topped me off." I could feel to push, just not feel any discomfort.
Old 01-25-2013, 01:22 PM   #135
deserrai
DIS Veteran

No...I am paranoid of any type of pain medication.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: