Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-24-2013, 06:10 PM   #76
Tooblessed
Mouseketeer

yes

Yes x2 and I tell everyone to get one. Loved it.
Old 01-24-2013, 06:15 PM   #77
POPCITY
Mouseketeer

Yes, absolutely!
POPCITY is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-24-2013, 06:22 PM   #78
Phdmama06
DIS Veteran

Yes. I chose to get it, and my anesthesiologist was great, barely felt it going in! I would get one again if I ever have another baby.
Phdmama06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 06:23 PM   #79
richmond282
Trumpet players don't have egos, we're just better than you...

Yes, and I'm not sorry one bit. I was in labor for 30 hours and then ended up having a c-section.
richmond282 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 06:26 PM   #80
wgeo
That's the kind of day where you can't open your mouth without a song jumping right out of it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by princesspumpkin View Post
You really had over thirty medical people in the room when you delivered? Was there a group of med students who wanted to watch? I can't imagine needing 30 people for one delivery. Did you have sextuplets?

The following is possibly too much information - be forewarned!

Nope just one crazy kid! I didn't actually count myself, but DH told me there was at least 30. It was a teaching hospital and my doc was chief resident so she had a first year resident assisting her, and then my doc's supervisor. My nurse had 2 student nurses with her, the anesthesiologist had a student, so that was the "main" team. Then all of a sudden they started calling people in, but what was amusing to me is that everytime someone brings in a student they had to ask my permission - I'm pretty sure I yelled YES a lot . I heard announcements and bells/noises going off and in what seemed like seconds an entire surgical team plus students, plus the NICU people, plus students, plus a lot of "top level" people showed up. They were about to do something when my doc was finally able to yank my son out (they had the vacuum suction thing attached to his head already). It took a very very long time to sew me back up and YES there was a "team" doing that too - nothing like having multiple people discussing things down there while stitching me back up (one person just sat back and told other people which pieces to sew together).

Honestly the hospital screwed up somewhere along the way, as in they didn't follow correct procedures or something - but I don't really want to know what. My son is fine, I'm fine and that's all I cared about in the end, so we never asked. It's too bad we moved because we always got amazing care from that point on though, I always got the feeling they were worried we were going to sue

I really did like my doc and kept her for #2, and since things happened so fast it was her, one resident and one nurse. I kept thinking how strangely quiet it was!

DH me DS 10 DD 8

WDW Trips: 1982, 1987, 1994, 2011, 2012
wgeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 06:40 PM   #81
MamaLema
Mouseketeer
I must eat at least one avocado a day!
Tying up Sayid and leaving Sawyer to die doesn't score brownie points with me

3 kids, no epidural.

I am happy with my decision. I know a few mothers who have back pain from the spot the epidural needle went in, even years later. It was the right decision for me.
MamaLema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 06:42 PM   #82
LovetheMouse12302
Mouseketeer

I had one with DS. I didn't think the pain was bad but my family kept telling me how bad it would get and I caved in and got it. It was terrible!!! With DD I refused to get one and had a wonderful birth experience with none of the issues I had with DS.
Saratoga Springs- May 2010
Coronado Springs- February 2011
Kidani Village- February 2011, September 2011
Grand Floridian- September 2011
Boardwalk Villas- September 2011
Polynesian- May 2013
Pop Century- May 2013
LovetheMouse12302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 06:50 PM   #83
PeterPanic
DIS Veteran

Talking

No, I didn't. I decided to tough it out. My wife, however, being much less brave them me, opted to have it for both out children. What a wimp!

Seriously, why anyone would opt to not have it, is a mystery to me. The pain of childbirth is not necessary to being a good Mother. Actually, from my memory there was plenty previous to the procedure to last a lifetime. At least that's what she told me, she might have been looking for sympathy.

My daughter has had three home births with no drugs at all. She's always been a mystery to me, but as they say in the south...Bless her heart! My other daughter, after watching her sister give birth the first time, decided that she wanted an Epidural early, during the conception if possible.

Last edited by PeterPanic; 01-24-2013 at 06:56 PM.
PeterPanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 06:55 PM   #84
bdcp
DIS Veteran

Nope. I had two drug free deliveries. The pain was temporary and part of the process. I'm amazed at the number of people who won't even attempt without an epidural. Did it hurt to go natural? Yes, but so? First delivery hurt more because my pelvis needed to open, but second delivery barely hurt. First labor pains weren't that strong, second labor, they were much more intense, but nothing I couldn't handle. Among my mom and sisters, no one had labor longer than 6 hours. My first was 5.5 hours and second was 3.5. I probably should have had more kids.
Shades of Green Nov 08

Shades of Green Oct 11
Shades of Green Nov 13
bdcp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 06:57 PM   #85
lovegrumpy
DIS Veteran

Nope
ME/DH/DS18/DS17
Or,Wa,FLx2,Ia,Cali,DC,Va
Been married to my Coastie for 17 years
Dh,Me,Ds 18,Ds 17

lovegrumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 07:00 PM   #86
AudreyKThompson
Disney Diva

3 kids, all with pitocin/induction- no epi, no pain meds. Labors were 4, 12, 22 hours, varying intensity. I had witnessed too many complications, already had back issues, and had worked way too hard for 9 months ( no caffeine, no dyes, no nitrates, no deli meats etc etc) to pump my kids full of drugs at the finish line. Recovery was a Dream! As was breastfeeding---
Absolutely done, but if I were to have another, no epi for me.
To each her own though- if you want it, get it.
I will note that while many no epi moms seem ok with anyone getting an epi - there is a lot of " are you crazy? Why wouldn't you?" From the other side--
AudreyKThompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 07:00 PM   #87
Hrhpd
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by peainapod View Post
Yes or no?
No, not for any of the kids. But I had unusually quick births - last one was less than 45 minutes from when my water broke (no previous contractions) to holding the baby. Thank goodness I live 5 minutes from the hospital.

I think it is a wonderful drug and agree that women should not suffer needlessly.
Hrhpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 07:16 PM   #88
DisneyNutMary
DIS Veteran

First one, no. I had labored for three days with no progress- I was going back and forth to the hospital and nothing was happening. Dr decided to do a c- section after taking some ultrasound measurements of his head, I was too wiped out to even sit up for the epidural- had general anesthesia again. Horrible recovery, I wouldn't do it again

Second one, after a contraction that I went to my knees in the hospital hallway on the way in, and I tried to claw my way up the wall- the anesthesiologist was called in before i was even undressed; an epidural administered, baby went into distress, c- section within an hour. And I was on the road to an easy recovery by the time my mother got there to meet her grandson.
Old 01-24-2013, 07:16 PM   #89
leebee
DIS Veteran

Yes with my only child. At 38 weeks I was completely effaced and having minor contractions about 5 mins apart, but no dilation. After 3 days the contractions stopped, still not dilated. At 43 weeks, 4 days I went in for an induction at 6am. I walked and rocked as much as possible, determined to do this as "naturally" as possible. By 8pm I was 4cm. and exhausted, and in significant back pain (I have an L4/L5 prolapse) so I had the epidural. I didn't think getting it hurt very much- a sting, a little tug, and it was in. They broke my water at 2am and I pushed for 6 hours... at which point they took us to an operating room for delivery. They were going to prep me for surgery, give delivery one more try (with the head suction thingy) and then do an emergency c-section. Luckily they got DD out, even though she was pretty stuck. She weighed 12lbs and had blisters on her head and a broken collarbone. I didn't feel much at all- but they had the epi on full-tilt, really expecting to do a section. I shook pretty badly after, but the doc said that's a normal reaction for some women, due to all the hormone shifting and release from labor. I was in a nice, hot bath tub within an hour of delivery, and went home 24 hours later. Too soon, unfortunately; I developed septicemia AND had a separated pelvis- BIG baby- and spent the next week back in the hospital.

SO... LOVED the epidural- can't imagine having gone through all that without pain relief- but the rest really stunk!!
Old 01-24-2013, 07:21 PM   #90
quentina
The bridge has been built and crossed
Old cups are just that.......old cups

Yes- for my first. I loved it so much, I asked for it with my next two. As I adopted, they felt it wasn't necessary
quentina is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: