Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-27-2013, 06:03 AM   #181
J3nn78
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jodifla View Post
Oh, puh-lease!

Ever visit an old-time graveyard? They are littered with the gravestones of infants and their mothers who died in childbirth.
They didn't die of pain. And I said unless medically necessary...sometimes there are reasons to interfere medically and I'm glad for that technology.

Do you know how high our infant and maternal mortality rates are? They are shockingly high for a modern country with medical advances. We interfere with birth far mor than medically necessary and have higher mortality rates than other modern countries who do not.

That said, I have no problem with those who choose to have one. I gave my reasons for not having one.

Last edited by J3nn78; 01-27-2013 at 06:30 AM.
J3nn78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 09:15 AM   #182
Ceila
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by J3nn78 View Post
No x 3
My labors were intense and painful, but I was not willing to pump unnecessary drugs into my body or my childrens' bodies. Our bodies are fully capable of handling labor and delivery naturally and it is safer to avoid interfering unless absolutely medically necessary. I have nothing but fond memories of laboring and delivering my children naturally. I am with the PP who said she loved it. It is truly an amazing and miraculous experience. I am glad that I did it the way nature intended it to be.
Well, if I'd let my body deliver the way nature intended, I wouldn't have my 14-yer-old son. I, too, had an "amazing and miraculous experience." It was delivering a beautiful, breathing, healthy baby boy.
Ceila is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-27-2013, 09:17 AM   #183
Ceila
DIS Veteran

Quote:
They didn't die of pain. And I said unless medically necessary...sometimes there are reasons to interfere medically and I'm glad for that technology.

Do you know how high our infant and maternal mortality rates are? They are shockingly high for a modern country with medical advances. We interfere with birth far mor than medically necessary and have higher mortality rates than other modern countries who do not.

That said, I have no problem with those who choose to have one. I gave my reasons for not having one.
Could you please provide a reliable link showing that those deaths are from use of pain relief?
Ceila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 10:05 AM   #184
DisneyJen0504
Married my Prince Charming. Mommy to Avery

Quote:
Originally Posted by J3nn78
No x 3
My labors were intense and painful, but I was not willing to pump unnecessary drugs into my body or my childrens' bodies. Our bodies are fully capable of handling labor and delivery naturally and it is safer to avoid interfering unless absolutely medically necessary. I have nothing but fond memories of laboring and delivering my children naturally. I am with the PP who said she loved it. It is truly an amazing and miraculous experience. I am glad that I did it the way nature intended it to be.

I chose to have an epidural and would again. My experience was just as amazing and magical and miraculous as someone who chooses not to have pain meds.
The Carsons Head to Disney World 2012
Girls Trip: Dancing in Walt Disney World 2009
DisneyJen0504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 10:14 AM   #185
Hrhpd
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaligal View Post
Of course.

And if I broke my leg in two or had a heart attack, I'd want pain meds for that.

Suffering through pain because you just want to feel the pain...not for me. No way, Jose.

I think it is great if other women want to have natural births. Yay, them!

But it wasn't for me. Jeepers. It was bad enough before the lovely epidural.

While I didn't have epidurals during labor (too short - 45 mins), I was offered one during abdominal major surgery.

They put it in during pre-op and it stayed in for 4 days. No pain for a painful operations and allowed me to heal faster. This was way past my child bearing years, but if I had known how wonderful it was and my labors were longer, I would definitely have had it back then!
Hrhpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 01:50 PM   #186
kkmcan
Official Mouse Fan

Yes for both. First child, I did start labor but ended up with a c-section (placenta abruption). Second one I wanted a VBAC and thought I would try to see how the pain went. I didn't last long and I was begging for one. Man those contractions are so much harder than you think even if you already went through once. I was not a pretty laborer either I was thrashing and crying and trying not to scream my head off.

Once I got the epidural with my son I was able to rest and calm down and I dilated so freakin' fast. Went from 2cm -10 in one hour after getting no where for almost 6 hours.

Disneyland 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007
DCL 4 night Nov. 2006 + WDW Nov. 2006
We got DL AP's!! Trips: 6/08, 10/08, 1/09, 3/09
DL + Trick or Treat Party 10/09
DCL 3 night + WDW Free Dining Dec 16-25 2009 Disneyland 6/2010 Using our GAD Vouchers!
DCL LA 2 day cruise to no where 1/2011
DCL 7 Night Mexican Riviera KSF 3/20/2011
DL AP's Trips:10/2011, 1/2012, 3/2012, 10/2012
WDW, Discovery Cove, Aquatica 05/2013
Aulani Hawaii 03/2014
kkmcan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 02:07 PM   #187
mjkacmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:

One big reason they are so high is that our country goes above and beyond trying to save premature babies that have a very small percent chance of living. High risk pregnancies that would never have come close to reaching term in other countries result in live births here. What would be labeled a stillbirth somewhere else ends up being a fatality of a live birth here.

Sometimes it's best to interfere. I know a woman with pretty severe cp that was caused by the OB waiting and seeing, instead of doing a c/s, and she was deprived of oxygen too long. Her whole life would've been completely different if her mom was in the care of another physician.
Old 01-27-2013, 02:24 PM   #188
North of Mouse
DIS Veteran

Quote:
No x 3
Good for you that your body was fully capable of handling labor and delivery naturally, and this is the truth - no sarcasm.

BUT, the "our" bodies is not so true. You have no idea what anyone is able to do beside yourself. Each of us *with our Dr.'s help* decide what is best for just our own personal selves - no one else gets a vote, period.

For my second child I chose an epidural from the get-go and had a wonderful experience watching my son be born - mostly pain free. His apgar was nearly 100% and we both did great - *no* regrets.

Third child, I had a failed epidural, but my body and my baby was nearly stretched beyond endurance. We both came close to dying.

So, don't tell me *you* know what *our* bodies are made to do naturally - just speak for yourself, and I am happy for whatever choice you make for *yourself* only. Each other person chooses for *themselves* only. We are not one big lumped together person, but individuals.
North of Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 02:34 PM   #189
nathalee81
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by diznygirl View Post
Omg - that was me - no break between contractions. The classes talked about "peaks and valleys" and all I had we're peaks and bigger peaks. I couldn't breathe. The epidural wasn't just a welcome relief - it was a necessity.

Nature sure works differently on different people. I sure would have loved to have that sublime experience where my body did what nature intended. Except in my case nature was ripping my guts out! Once I had the epidural I rejoined earth and had a baby.
I know, I went to those darn childbirth classes and I was, like, "they lied, they lied, those (insert curse words here) lied!".
nathalee81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 02:46 PM   #190
Christine
Would love to be able to sit on the couch for a few days, get a good book, and do NOTHING!
Considers the DIS as Bladder Training 101

Yes, I had an epidural for each delivery. I loved it, it was wonderful. Otherwise, I'm pretty sure I would have been hollering the whole time. This way it was sort of nice. And make no bones about it, even with the epidural, I was still quite aware that I was passing a watermelon!!

It was just a much more pleasant experience for everyone in the room!

Vacation Home - Indian Creek - July 2012
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - July 2009
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - Easter 2007
Shades of Green - June 2005
Vistana Resort - May 01
Shades of Green - May 99
Shades of Green - Apr 97
CBR & Shades of Green - May 95
Christine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 02:54 PM   #191
indimom
Are We There Yet?

Quote:

Not in the simplest sense of the word, but it could have complicated a few.
With my first, I was stuck at 5cm for over six hours. Just no change at all. I was in agonizing pain and nothing was happening. I got an epidural (partly for pain relief, partly because they were starting to anticipate a c-section). The pain relief was not complete, it still hurt. But, suddenly, I shot from 5cm to 10cm in less than an hour.
I really think I was "fighting" my labour due to the pain. I can't come up with any other reason why things suddenly changed and I was able to deliver her. I think I finally relaxes and allowed nature to take its course.

As for the statistics, use caution. Many countries do not count births/deaths/prematurity/stillbirths/etc. the same way. It would be difficult to know for sure what these numbers mean.
Old 01-27-2013, 03:50 PM   #192
DisneyFan32WI
Sometimes I just like to be plain and boring

No. I didn't have any drugs or anything with both. This was probably just because both my labors only lasted an hour and a half from start to finish.

I don't know that my answer would be the same if I had been in labor any longer.
Old 01-27-2013, 04:28 PM   #193
Anne34
DIS Veteran

I had an epidural for the first, but ended up with such horrible spinal headaches that I didn't for the next two. BUT, I did have Demerol and a shot "down there" with the second. The third one I went from 4 to 10 in about 15 minutes (on Pitocin) and it was too fast so no drugs. That birth was horrible. I much prefer some sort of pain relief!
Anne34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 05:00 PM   #194
CammelleandBre
Mouseketeer

Yes. I was in labor for 24 hours!! My Dr. was old school, and said young mothers typically have long labors. I was 18. Ultimately I ended up with a c/s my body wouldn't go past 5cm. So I would have ended up with anyways.
Old 01-27-2013, 09:01 PM   #195
yanilat
Earning My Ears

Only with my 4th delivery. I decided since I went thru horrible labor pains with my 1st three kids , I deserve a break with this labor!!
yanilat is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: