Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney World Tips
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-24-2013, 11:52 AM   #1
TygerHawks
Mouseketeer

Burn Phone

I am one of those "mean" parents that wont allow my 14 year old son to have a phone. Based on maturity

That being said, I know there will be times we are seperated in the parks. Either him wanting to ride some rides that I don't or simply turning around to see something and him disapearing. So, I plan on buying a prepaid phone for the trip. Any reccomendations on which carriers work best in the park? Also, any suggestions on the best phone for the best price?
TygerHawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 12:44 PM   #2
Itinkso
Faith.Trust.Pixie Dust

Verizon has the best coverage. Do not go with an AT&T phone as service is very spotty. You may want to choose a phone carrier that has good service where you live in case your son uses it during activities at home.
WDW 6/14 - Off-site; 2/14 - AoA; 12/13 - Off-site; 1/13 - AKL; 10/12 - Pop; 4/12 - Off-site; 11/10 - BWI CL; 8/10 - POR; 7/09 - POFQ; 4/04 - ASMo; 2/97 - CBR ~ DLP 7/2012 ~ DLR - Mother Ship ~ August 6, 2005 - Magical Cruise of the Mexican Riviera ~ Sept. 29, 2012 Fantasy Western Caribbean
Itinkso is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-24-2013, 12:53 PM   #3
Kauai4life
Earning My Ears

Good for you I think that is being a great Mom, I would not even allow my kids video games, They are grown now, and tell me they are glad I did that.

For the phone, track phone you can start as low as $30.00 including the phone. We had no problem with service, it was just really hard to hear because the parks are so loud,
Keep up the good work being a mean Mom, have a great time at Disney.
Aloha
Kauai4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 01:03 PM   #4
OKW Lover

Yes, we love Old Key West
Connoisseur of the fine things in life, and has the time to enjoy them (Just ask his wife)

AT&T has great coverage in and around WDW. About the only difficulty you'll find is deep inside some attractions. The queue for Soarin comes to mind.
Old 01-24-2013, 01:08 PM   #5
Baliezer
DIS Veteran

Whichever carrier you use, make sure that the phone has the capability of tracking. I use friend finder on the I-Phone and I am able to track where my daughter is in the park.
Old 01-24-2013, 09:43 PM   #6
suzy021372
Mouseketeer

I use virgin mobile (because i hate the phone...and am cheap). You can get a phone for as little a $20, Buy by the minute, or buy 200 minutes for $20. I rarely have any problem with coverage, as they work off the same towers as the other carriers.

I think this is a great idea!
suzy021372 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 09:57 PM   #7
sillylily
DIS Veteran

I would also say AT&T. The service at WDW was excellent. Our two DDs also do not have their own phones, but we have a Go Phone for things of that nature and in the event that we get separated. My oldest DD always in possession of it on overnight field trips as well, as she's in extracurriculars all year round.

sillylily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 01:22 PM   #8
vacation_junkie
Have Suitcase...will Travel :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TygerHawks View Post
I am one of those "mean" parents that wont allow my 14 year old son to have a phone. Based on maturity

That being said, I know there will be times we are seperated in the parks. Either him wanting to ride some rides that I don't or simply turning around to see something and him disapearing. So, I plan on buying a prepaid phone for the trip. Any reccomendations on which carriers work best in the park? Also, any suggestions on the best phone for the best price?
Walkie Talkies work great too!! Make sure they have a good range. 20-35miles is great!

vacation_junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 01:11 PM   #9
chartle
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by vacation_junkie View Post
Walkie Talkies work great too!! Make sure they have a good range. 20-35miles is great!
I'm pretty sure, any kind of walkie talkie with that kind of range would require a licence. (if one exists )

Even GMRS radio that doesn't have close to that range (maybe 5 mikes in an open field) still requires a licence*.

Also they wouldn't work very well in buildings and there is no way to leave a message.

OP if you do get your son a phone don't get upset if he doesn't always answer right away. I have never heard my phone in an amusement park and I have the ringer up and have vibrate on.

* ETA: Found out a licence is not required in Canada but is in the US. Also, yes you can buy GMRS without a licence and even use them but legally you need a licence.
Old 02-11-2013, 08:05 PM   #10
croach
Mouseketeer

I just like that you called it a burn phone.
Old 02-12-2013, 10:16 AM   #11
TygerHawks
Mouseketeer

Thanks everyone

Quote:
Originally Posted by croach View Post
I just like that you called it a burn phone.
I watch too much television
TygerHawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 10:21 AM   #12
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baliezer View Post
Whichever carrier you use, make sure that the phone has the capability of tracking. I use friend finder on the I-Phone and I am able to track where my daughter is in the park.
Brilliant!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: