Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Orlando Hotels and Attractions
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-24-2013, 11:30 AM   #1
tinkerbell423
Mouseketeer

RCI trade suggestions

My Aunt has asked me to book at least one of her RCI banked weeks. I know we want to go to Orlando but my kids haven't decided if we are doing Disney or Sea World/ Universal. We stayed with her timeshare one other year at Orange Lake and it was nice. I am looking for any other recommendations. The list is huge and I'd like to narrow it down some. She has two banked weeks with 38 points each. There will be 6 of us, my family and my Aunt, so a 2 bedroom. Some other musts are laundry in the unit, hot tubs and a nice pool. Also do some resorts charge other fees on top of the RCI fees?
tinkerbell423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 11:47 AM   #2
LadyBeBop
DIS Veteran

With 38 points, you might (with the emphsis on might) be able to get DVC. But they go quickly. If you are willing to invest $15 (at least I think it's still $15), you could joing the Timeshare Users Group. There is a subforum which shows when the DVC units are on RCI. They are snatched up quickly.

DVC charges a $95/week fee (for use of its transportation system, or parking, or Magical Express).

I'm staying at Wyndham Bonnet Creek next fall, but I'm using Wyndham points on that. I've stayed at Orange Lake a couple of times...very nice. If you can't get into DVC, I'd think about going back to Orange Lake. Or is it too soon for you (1 in 4 rule)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1836 View Post
What? 2019 or 2020? Say it ain't so!

You must "sneak in a day" next year. That's an order!
LadyBeBop is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-24-2013, 04:12 PM   #3
haPevraftr
DIS Veteran

Op-
If it is available, you can use RCI points to book Wyndham Bonnet Creek. We are booked thru RCI for Silver Lake Resort- Silver Points for spring break
Visited WDW many times as a child; Engagement trip OKW '01 ; Disneyland '04 and '05; Off-site '06 and '07 ; Pop Century '08 ; POFQ '09 ; ASMo '10 ; CSR '11 ; AKL/SVR '12 ;NYE '12-'13 WBC Easter '13, SLR/CBR ;Thanksgiving '13, VVP; April '14, WBC; WBC Spring Break 2015
haPevraftr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 04:16 PM   #4
shell8558
DIS Veteran

We have booked Wyndham bonnet creek through RCI - depending on what time of year you are going , I think you should have enough points. i think we spent 18 points for a 2 bedroom in may.
Old 01-24-2013, 05:40 PM   #5
swilshire
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyBeBop View Post
With 38 points, you might (with the emphsis on might) be able to get DVC. But they go quickly. If you are willing to invest $15 (at least I think it's still $15), you could joing the Timeshare Users Group. There is a subforum which shows when the DVC units are on RCI. They are snatched up quickly.

DVC charges a $95/week fee (for use of its transportation system, or parking, or Magical Express).

I'm staying at Wyndham Bonnet Creek next fall, but I'm using Wyndham points on that. I've stayed at Orange Lake a couple of times...very nice. If you can't get into DVC, I'd think about going back to Orange Lake. Or is it too soon for you (1 in 4 rule)?
The best thing about investing in the $15 TUG membership is the extensive reviews of most of the properties. I know there are other sources, such as Tripadvisor, but the TUG reviews seem much more reliable. I never book anything without checking there first.

If you decide on Sea World, the HGVC at Sea World is perfect. We stayed there for a night on our way home from the beach and it took us longer to get out of the Sea World parking lot than it did to drive to the resort.

You should do some research and then ask your aunt to start an ongoing search for what you want, particularly if you want DVC.

You don't say what time of year you're going, but in low seasons, you can book 45 days out or less and get great points discounts. We always travel on school holidays, so we can't ever wait.

Sheila
swilshire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 11:41 AM   #6
tinkerbell423
Mouseketeer

Thank you for the suggestions. I think it is too soon to book at Orange Lake again. We have to do school breaks so either summer or Feb 2014 break. Right now I can find bonnet creek for the summer but not much for Feb does this change as we get closer?
tinkerbell423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 03:30 PM   #7
haPevraftr
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkerbell423 View Post
Thank you for the suggestions. I think it is too soon to book at Orange Lake again. We have to do school breaks so either summer or Feb 2014 break. Right now I can find bonnet creek for the summer but not much for Feb does this change as we get closer?
Wyndham Bonney Creek is not available through RCI until closer to Feb 2014. You see summer dates because they are already in the system. To give you an example of time frames, the week beginning March 31, 2013 became available last June. Your problem is that you will have to decide between booking this summer or waiting until Feb, if you want WBC. There is a strong possibility that your summer 2013 dates will no longer be available by the time your Feb dates are put into the system.

Now, I suppose this could change. The timeshare rep. at WBC told me that Wyndham just "bought" (not sure that this is the right business term) RCI, so I do not know if that means RCI members will have easier or harder time finding availability at WBC.
Visited WDW many times as a child; Engagement trip OKW '01 ; Disneyland '04 and '05; Off-site '06 and '07 ; Pop Century '08 ; POFQ '09 ; ASMo '10 ; CSR '11 ; AKL/SVR '12 ;NYE '12-'13 WBC Easter '13, SLR/CBR ;Thanksgiving '13, VVP; April '14, WBC; WBC Spring Break 2015

Last edited by haPevraftr; 01-26-2013 at 03:37 PM.
haPevraftr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 06:20 PM   #8
spiceycat
Own at BWV, VWL and BLT
It happens every night on the Bay Lake side

wyndham has been saying that for years (even when it was Fairfield)

yet to see it be done.

with Disney Vacation Club you won't see it on RCI before 11 months date - Disney vacation club is on Disney property - so you get all the benefits w/o paying Disney resort price.

EMH
free transportation - both to the parks and back and forth to the airport

those are the ones that I use.

what are you going to do on your vacation - Just Disney - or other places too - shopping?

spiceycat is offline   Reply With Quote