Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-23-2013, 11:03 PM   #1
samacita
Mouseketeer

Advantage to booking by phone rather than online?

Getting close to making decisions on dates and location, so VERY close to booking! Yayyyyy.

I can't find the specific posts now, but it seems I've read several people talking about getting better deals or upgrades when talking with a CM over the phone. Is there an advantage to booking a resort/dining/tickets package by phone rather than doing it online? If so, what are the tricks to getting the CM to offer the extra perks?
samacita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 11:15 PM   #2
dansdad
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by samacita View Post
I can't find the specific posts now, but it seems I've read several people talking about getting better deals or upgrades when talking with a CM over the phone
There are no secret upgrades or deals you can get just by speaking to a CM. All they can do is offer any specials that are already out there and publicly known.

Quote:
Is there an advantage to booking a resort/dining/tickets package by phone rather than doing it online?
I like to do all my research online and then call to book it. This way I can give the booking CM my room requests and be done. Plus I like the interaction with another human being who usually shares in our excitement of booking another trip "home". In fact we usually have the phone on speaker so DW and DS can also join in.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-24-2013, 08:02 AM   #3
davedmaine
DIS Veteran

If you do your own research, I would do the whole thing online. You really aren't missing anything by booking with a CM and they can't/won't give you upgrades, etc. Basically just make sure you're checking out the 'specials' section on the website..
davedmaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 08:08 AM   #4
Stitch407
Florida Mouseketeer

There's no advantage, and sometimes you can't count on the CM knowing everything. People on this board know a lot more than most CMs do, but I like calling when I know exactly what I want because the ppl on the phone have always been nice to me, and one CM talked to me about Disney code lol
Stitch407 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 08:12 AM   #5
Missytara
I'm all ears!

I prefer doing my own research and then book by phone. I do love talking to the CM's, especially since I know exactly what I want and there is no question I am getting the best deal for myself.

As PP's have stated, many Disboarders know more than the average CM and we are able to ascertain our own best deal. Disney CM's are not like standard travel agents, which are expected to get you the best possible deal they can snag - they are there to book trips and move onto the next customer.
Old 01-24-2013, 09:34 AM   #6
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran

There's no advantage one way or the other, but I like to price things out and then call and book. You might read of some people getting a deal or code when they've called, but that's usually when they have a PIN code attached to their name; other than that, the CMs don't offer deals or upgrades. With that said, you can always ask if there is a PIN attached to name before booking. If you do call rather than book online, I would definitely price it out beforehand as sometimes the CMs quote a different room category, add dining, etc. which makes the cost more than what you had planned/wanted to spend. I always pull up what I want online prior to calling and have everything in front of me when I call so if there is a discrepancy in price, I see it right away.

Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
mickeynut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 10:35 AM   #7
tinkermommyof3
DIS Veteran

I always call to check if there are any offers attached to my name other than GP. If there was, I would book with the CM. If not, I go online and book. If I have any requests such as building location or view, I call back at a later date and speak to a CM to ask them to add. I like to take my time to ensure all data is entered properly on ressie. Also, a ressie confirmation is generated in a timely manner when you book online. I have booked directly in the past. I prefer to book online. In short, it is just a matter of personal preference.
Old 01-24-2013, 10:40 AM   #8
soccer mom
DIS Veteran

I always book on line because I'm trying to take advantage of a PIN or Special and that's when phone wait times seem to be long. But I end up calling back later anyway if I have a building or floor request to add to the reservation.
CSR - December 2011
POFQ - November 2010, 2009, 2008
WL - Return from Iraq Celebration! - December 2007
BWI - First Time No Kids! - January 2007
ALK - December 2005
POR - January 2005
WL - November 2003
BC/Poly - November 2002
AKL - November 2001
POFQ - December 1999
FW Cabins - December 1994, 1991
FW Campgrounds - March 1985, 1981, 1976
soccer mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 12:46 PM   #9
samacita
Mouseketeer

Now that I'm reading these comments, I think what I'm remembering is posts about talking with a CM about specific buildings or floors of a resort. I seem to remember some "upgrades" in this sense, where the CM booked the family into more favorable rooms or better views.
samacita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 12:56 PM   #10
Missytara
I'm all ears!

Quote:
Now that I'm reading these comments, I think what I'm remembering is posts about talking with a CM about specific buildings or floors of a resort. I seem to remember some "upgrades" in this sense, where the CM booked the family into more favorable rooms or better views.
The CM may have been booking them into more expensive room categories, but the person would be paying for it. Again, the CM cannot arbitrarally book someone into a higher category.

What you may be recalling is if someone gets a discount or a pin code and they OPT to take an upgrade to break even, instead of taking the discount.

Say for instance, I had a standard view at POR and I received a PIN code for 30% off my booking category. Rather than take the savings, the CM would suggest booking a Royal Room or a higher category and break even as it were. But the CM would not be able to give that away.....

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: