Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Orlando Hotels and Attractions
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-24-2013, 10:44 AM   #1
minerva78
Mouseketeer

Windsor Hills condo vs. townhome

For anyone who has stayed in a condo and/or townhome at Windsor Hills, what did you like or dislike about the set up and why?

If we end up doing an offsite stay, I really would like to get a 3 BR condo or townhome at Windsor Hills. It will likely just be our family of 4 - me, DH and 5 and 6 year old daughters - although we want an extra bedroom in case a friend ends up coming along for part of the trip. At first I was just interested in the condos because they tend to be a bit cheaper, but now I'm wondering if a townhome would be better. My main reason for not wanting a townhome is that I don't think I care for having rooms upstairs and downstairs, some people have said the stairs are a bit steep. But I wonder if it would be worth it to have a splash pool and to be able to park right outside our door. I think I'd be fine with using a community pool, but it would definitely be more convenient to have one right there. Any opinions?
minerva78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 01:52 PM   #2
crusoe2
DIS Veteran

We have done both and I doubt we'll do a townhome again. The steep stairs are one reason. Another thing I didn't care for was the small stacking washer and dryer instead of the full size ones you get in the condos. One of the perks to renting offsite (for us anyway) is being able to pack lighter and toss a load of clothes in all along. But those stacking sets are a pain to use. Plus the w/d is upstairs so I had to do quite a lot running up and down. As for parking right outside your door, we found it to be a tight squeeze getting in and out of the car cause the parking spot is pretty small and the shrubbery grew right up to the edge. Someone on one side or the other had to step out right into a bush or small tree.

It just wasn't worth the extra expense and hassle for us to have a pool right outside the door. But we don't usually spend a lot of time in the pool. So YMMV.
Register to remove

Old 01-26-2013, 06:25 AM   #3
allmydisneydreams
Mouseketeer

We stayed in a townhouse a few years ago and LOVED it. We didn't really have a problem with the steps, and our parking space was fine. We loved having the space to stretch out, and we did use the splash pool a few times. That being said, we've opted for a condo for our spring trip. I'll admit the major consideration for our decision was price. Of course we haven't tried the condo yet, but it was a great price and I feel like the only thing we are really giving up is the splash pool. Honestly, my kids are bigger now (3, 10 and 13) and I think that the splash pool would probably bore the older two. On the other hand, the resort pool is GORGEOUS. The resort and location are really what attracts me back to Windsor Hills. Also the condo has a little lanai and it is on the third floor, so apparently you can see the sunset I don't think we'll miss the townhouse...can't wait!
allmydisneydreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 03:07 PM   #4
Mickeypooh99
DIS Veteran

We started out staying in the condos, which were very nice. Then we tried the townhouse, and we will probably never go back to the condos until the boys are a lot older. We love the splash pool! At least for us. My boys love just jumping in the pool whenever they feel like it. We don't have to walk down to the pool, but we can still use the main pool if we want. It was so nice to be able to say yes to the boys whenever they wanted to swim. If I was cooking or doing laundry, it didn't matter because it was right there. We went from swimming a couple of times on vacation to swimming every day. Sometimes they would just jump in for 10 minutes or so before we went to the parks, and that was okay. We would never have walked to the main pool for just a quick dip.

I don't mind the small washer and dryer. I used it almost every day. Very easy to throw in a small load each day. The stairs are a bit steep, but we don't have problems with stairs. We never had any parking problems either. The bushes were close, but we didn't have any trouble getting out.

I would much prefer all one floor, but we feel it is worth it for the pool. I can see that it might be different when my boys are older and can walk to the pool by themselves.
Old 01-26-2013, 05:31 PM   #5
HunterBoo
Earning My Ears

We have rented condos two different times and we really liked them, but last March we rented a townhouse for the first time. We LOVED it! We are renting another townhouse this year when we go down again. The stairs didn't bother us - and the washer and dryer worked just fine. The girls loved the splash pool, but went over to the main pool at least once a day. Sometimes my mom and I just sat and read while sitting in the splash pool, which was nice for getting some sun

I'd go with a condo again, but I absolutely love the townhouse after last year

me dh dd(12) dd(9)
HunterBoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 08:56 PM   #6
auprincess
DIS Veteran

while on the topic of Windsor Hills...can anyone tell me a little more about the splash pool? How deep is it? And how are the bedrooms at the townhouses ~ are all 3 on the same floor? Thanks
April 2012 Polynesion
auprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 09:49 PM   #7
hsmamainva
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by auprincess View Post
while on the topic of Windsor Hills...can anyone tell me a little more about the splash pool? How deep is it? And how are the bedrooms at the townhouses ~ are all 3 on the same floor? Thanks
Our WH townhouse has a splash pool. I'd say it's 4 feet deep maybe?

In ours, there's a bedroom on the main level -- to the right of the front door as you walk in -- with a queen bed. Upstairs is the master bedroom with a king -- and a Disney-decorated room with 2 singles.

So no, all the bedrooms aren't on the same floor.

It's never too late to have a happy childhood!

February 2011 (OL) - March 2012 (WH) - May 2013 (WH) - May 2014 (AOA) - August 2014 (AOA) - May 2015 (POP) - August 2015 (POFQ)

hsmamainva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 01:57 AM   #8
Dave1234
Mouseketeer

Personally i'd say the splash pool is key. If you want to relax by the pool or take a dip you obviously cant do that in a condo but splash pools arent particularly big and Windsor Hills has a fantastic community pool area so you'll want to spend most time there. You'll find a good selection of condos and townhomes at WH on here:

http://************************************/

Hope that helps.
Dave
Dave1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 11:25 AM   #9
auprincess
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsmamainva View Post
Our WH townhouse has a splash pool. I'd say it's 4 feet deep maybe?

In ours, there's a bedroom on the main level -- to the right of the front door as you walk in -- with a queen bed. Upstairs is the master bedroom with a king -- and a Disney-decorated room with 2 singles.

So no, all the bedrooms aren't on the same floor.
Thanks so much for the info!!
April 2012 Polynesion
Old 01-27-2013, 07:53 PM   #10
wgeo
That's the kind of day where you can't open your mouth without a song jumping right out of it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by auprincess View Post
I'm really pretty sure the splash pools are 5 feet deep, which meant they were over my kids heads. There is no gradual entry - think of it like a large hot tub (except its not that hot). It was nice, but the kids loved the large resort pool a whole lot more.

DH me DS 10 DD 9

WDW Trips: 1982, 1987, 1994, 2011, 2012
wgeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 09:35 AM   #11
Northernlites
Mouseketeer

WE stayed at a townhome last year with a splash pool. We found that we spent most of our pool time at the community pool because it was less than a 3 minute walk. The rate in April was $100 per night plus tax. This year we are staying in a 3 bed 2 bath condo in the building that is closest to the community pool. the rate will be $75 per night including cleaning plus state tax. The townhome has out front parking but the stairs are steep and we have very young children.
Northernlites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 10:52 AM   #12
auprincess
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northernlites View Post
WE stayed at a townhome last year with a splash pool. We found that we spent most of our pool time at the community pool because it was less than a 3 minute walk. The rate in April was $100 per night plus tax. This year we are staying in a 3 bed 2 bath condo in the building that is closest to the community pool. the rate will be $75 per night including cleaning plus state tax. The townhome has out front parking but the stairs are steep and we have very young children.
Do you mind sharing where you found/are renting the 3 bedroom condo? All I am finding is 3 bedroom townhomes and 2 bedroom condos. I would prefer for us to be in a 1 story unit. I could give or take the splash pool ~ I know my girls would like it but I'm sure we will spend most of our pool time at the community pool. We don't really need 3 bedrooms, b/c I know the girls will want to all stay together, but I am thinking it might be nice to have the 3rd bedroom for them to use as a play area.
April 2012 Polynesion