Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-23-2013, 09:43 PM   #1
disneyworld1977
Mouseketeer

If you move to Florida.......

does WDW lose it's magic?

It's an interesting, maybe off the wall, question I have and didn't know where to post it but here it is.

I live in the middle of the country, and the build up to go to WDW is fun, and we get there and we have a blast. Is that part of the "Magic"? To go there when you don't all the time?

Just wondering who had some thoughts on this. Just in case I were to move to Florida for some reason some day, would I lose that feeling?
*DL* Offsite - 2000, 2003, 2005, 2011, SEPT 2013!! *WDW* Offsite - 80's , 90's ** POP CENTURY - 2004, 2009 ** CORONADO SPRINGS - 2008 ** PORT ORLEANS (Riverside) - 2011 ** ALL STAR MOVIES - 2012 ** FT. WILDERNESS CABINS DEC 2013
ME DW
disneyworld1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 09:50 PM   #2
StephMK
DIS Veteran

Good question! I always wonder that too since the anticipation is such a large part of any trip planning we do. We also love the beach and I wonder if that would lose the magic too.

I wouldn't mind having the opportunity to find out though! Look forward to hearing the responses.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-23-2013, 11:16 PM   #3
The Wise One
Mouseketeer

Well I live in Florida but I still live like 7 hours from WDW so no... The magic is still there! It's just a very boring car ride between me and the magic, lol.
1st WDW Trip: November 2009 - Coronado Springs
2nd: December 2011 - All Star Movies
3rd: January 6th, 2013- Pop Century Resort
First DCL: May 25th, 2013- FANTASY!
4th: June 2013 - Art of Animation
5th: November 2013 - Coronado Springs
The Wise One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 11:21 PM   #4
diznygirl
I have a symmetry thing
It is always important to know what team the whackjobs are playing for!
It was the wedding with a two-meatball limit

It's not as off the wall as you think. It gets asked around here a lot. In my opinion it doesn't lose the magic, it just is experienced differently. When you come for a vacation it's all hurry up and keep to the schedule. Living here we can take our time, eat when we want, leave if it gets too crowded or hot and know we can come back in a few days or weeks. We enjoy the resorts a lot - there is so much to see and do outside the parks that we never had the chance to do before.

It's still magical.
Old 01-23-2013, 11:46 PM   #5
fall08CP
Cheesehead

Depends on a few things 1) how much you love Disney 2) whether you work at wdw and 3) where you live. I worked at Disney for 3 years in 3 very different roles. While I really enjoyed living in Orlando, wdw totally lost its magic. I moved back North and now only visit Orlando to see friends, not the parks. Seeing characters and other cast members backstage is very un-magical. I worked a small portion of that time at DAK and I never wanted to go there on my days off because my mind would always go back to work mode. You don't get normal days off and the hours were crazy.

Some people do just fine and love every minute of it. If I moved back, I'd live outside of Orlando. It gets old to pay tourist prices at restaurants and grocery stores, and traffic can be a nightmare. In general, Orlando has poor school districts which is another reason I moved- I'd never raise kids there.

That's my $.02. Again, I loved Orlando, but it gets exhausting!
Old 01-24-2013, 07:00 AM   #6
Metro West
Proud Redhead
11.47 Miles from Universal
23.56 Miles from Disney

DISboards Moderator

When I moved here in 2004 I used to go to Disney a lot after I got my AP. I let it expire in 2011 and haven't been back since...I don't really miss it. It's too crowded now and I won't wait in a line for more than 20 minutes so I just stay away. I think the main thing...at least for me...is my loss of patience for waiting in lines since moving here. When you're a tourist you have a limited amount of time to do stuff and considering the money you've paid, you should try to do everything you want. But as a local you know you can come back whenever you want and since I've done everything I wanted to do in all the parks, I feel no need to wait more than 20 minutes to ride something for the umteenth time.

I think the thing locals will tell you about Disney is this. It's completely different visiting as a tourist and living here...especially in the Orlando area. You tend to see things differently than a tourist would...make sense? It will if you move here.
Old 01-24-2013, 07:07 AM   #7
PigletsPal2
Queen of the Realm

Quote:
Originally Posted by diznygirl View Post
It's not as off the wall as you think. It gets asked around here a lot. In my opinion it doesn't lose the magic, it just is experienced differently. When you come for a vacation it's all hurry up and keep to the schedule. Living here we can take our time, eat when we want, leave if it gets too crowded or hot and know we can come back in a few days or weeks. We enjoy the resorts a lot - there is so much to see and do outside the parks that we never had the chance to do before.

It's still magical.
We don't feel like the magic is lost because we live here. We love the feeling of waking up and saying "it's a beautiful day, let's go to Epcot." As annual pass holders, we love being the first invited to new experiences at the parks, and we love knowing that we aren't constrained by vacation times; October and November are lovely times to visit the parks without being shoulder to shoulder with tourists. (Don't get me wrong - we love our tourists; they're the reason we don't pay state income taxes!) Before she moved down here, we used to tease DD#1 by calling her at work and saying "Guess where we are?" Once she put us on speaker phone and we could hear the collective moan in her office (we're meanies, huh?) But no, I don't think the magic is lost.

Queen Colleen
PigletsPal2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 07:23 AM   #8
Art 1
DIS Veteran

It hasn't for us but we have lived here a long time.
Art 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 07:28 AM   #9
joviroxx
rectally reporters television produce

I don't live in Orlando but Im about 3.5hrs away. We do experience it a bit differently.

Disney isn't a week long destination place for us but a weekend or long weekend trip. It's also not a "let's go for a day" thing either. I think maybe the WOW factor isn't as big but it's not like it has lost its magic. I do know people that are "Disney'd out" but walking into MK always makes ME smile.

Middle-schoolers and high schoolers still enjoy it for events. We have a ot of day trips and things like Grad Night they can do with friends. Pile them on a bus at 5am and then come home at 1am.
joviroxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 07:41 AM   #10
lucas
°o°

Quote:
Originally Posted by joviroxx View Post
I don't live in Orlando but Im about 3.5hrs away. We do experience it a bit differently.

Disney isn't a week long destination place for us but a weekend or long weekend trip. It's also not a "let's go for a day" thing either. I think maybe the WOW factor isn't as big but it's not like it has lost its magic. I do know people that are "Disney'd out" but walking into MK always makes ME smile.

Middle-schoolers and high schoolers still enjoy it for events. We have a ot of day trips and things like Grad Night they can do with friends. Pile them on a bus at 5am and then come home at 1am.
Same for us in South Florida. We live 200 miles south of WDW and go for long weekends. We only stay in WDW resorts and I think that adds to the experience rather than just going into the parks.
Old 01-24-2013, 08:10 AM   #11
AmericangirlinFrance
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucas View Post
Same for us in South Florida. We live 200 miles south of WDW and go for long weekends. We only stay in WDW resorts and I think that adds to the experience rather than just going into the parks.
Us too. We are 3 hours away. I still think it's magical. But we don't go that often - our last trip was in May, and I'm ready to get back!!

Florida residents!
AmericangirlinFrance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 08:12 AM   #12
lililoo12
Mouseketeer

nope just gets more expensive as you go more and it is the only good thing about living in FL. Hate it here
lililoo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 08:43 AM   #13
JulFromMD
AK Fangirl

I lived in Orlando for about a year and will be moving back within the next two years.

While spending time at WDW never totally lost the magic for me, there was a change in the way I experienced it. In my year there, I rarely went on rides unless I was there for a weekend "vacation" (just staying off site at my own home). I did a lot of things that I wouldn't want to "waste time" during an actual vacation to do--I had a PAP, so I'd go to DisneyQuest with some local friends on a weeknight to just play the ol' 1980s video games and grab some dinner. If I was only in the area for a week-long vacation, I'd not have bothered to go to DisneyQuest at all.

You get to know CMs and other locals, so that brings its own level of magic, but they also get to know you well enough that they can "talk shop" about life in the bubble--and that means both happy stories and grumbled conversations about bad days at work over drinks.

There is something really cool about turning on your local news station and seeing news from Disney, though. And there's something wonderful about knowing it is right there for when you're having a bad day and just need to take a stroll around World Showcase to let your head clear. And there's something fantastic about being able to participate in events that you might miss if you are only down for a vacation or two a year.

But there also is a honeymoon phase that you go through where, if you aren't careful, you can burn out really bad and need to take a break. As long as you know yourself, you can have a marvelous time down there and still keep the magic.
JulFromMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 08:55 AM   #14
rotlex
Is it summer yet?

Going back to the early 90's I lived in Florida, Tampa\Clearwater area, for quite some time. For me and my wife, yes, the "magic" was very different. Honestly, being from, and now back in the NE, I'd rather vacation there than live there. It's still fun, but frankly, it becomes just like any other amusement park we live close too. When you can go all the time, it's just not the same as looking forward to it for a vacation.

I know opinions vary greatly on this, but IMO, even the coolest rides and attractions become far too common when you have constant unlimited access to them.

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
- Dr. Seuss

rotlex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 09:37 AM   #15
Sorsha
People, don't be like the chickens

I lived there for a little while (DH's job ended and we had to leave) and no, it never lost it's magic.

First of all, we were about 1.5 hours away out on the East Coast. Not like we could just drop everything and hop over once a week.

We did go about 5 times, once being ON Halloween night for MNSSHP. This was in 1999/2000 so we saw some of the Millennium events too.

We liked being able to pick and choose when we would go. We are seasoned WDW travelers, so we knew how to avoid High Crowd Days (MUCH easier 13 years ago than it is now ) and it was also nice to be able to pick our days based on weather.

I loved being there and it is my dream to have a Snow Bird home there when I retire.

Upcoming California and Disneyland Pre-Trip!
"My kids' through the years at Disney parks" video!
Sorsha is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: