Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > UK Trip Planning Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-24-2013, 12:25 PM   #16
wayneg
VMK AceCaptainWayne
I can't get my mouth to say healthy things

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilma-bride View Post

Just an additional note about bad food is that you shouldn't not tip if the meal is poor, you should let your server know that the food is not acceptable. To tip poorly for bad food would not be the done thing as it is not the server's fault if the food isn't up to par.
Tip for me would depend on how the server dealt with the poor food, if they sorted everything out then I would still tip full amount, if their service was then poor dealing with it then tip would be lowered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCLMan View Post
Housekeeping isn't necessarily a tipped position.
I am one that doesn't tip housekeeping, others do, as said its a non-tipped position so totally an individual choice.
  • 2005(Oct) Disney Magic + BW Lakeside, 2005 (Xmas) BW Lakeside, 2006(Aug) Courtyard By Marriott LBV + 1st RCCL cruise,
  • 2006(Oct) Disneyland, Cailfornia Howard Johnson, 2006(Xmas)Comfort Inn LBV,2007(Easter)Fairfield Inn, Marriott Village
  • 2007(Aug)Courtyard By Marriott LBV, 2007(Oct) Disneyland CA, HoJo/Vegas, Flamingo,2008(Easter) Windsor Hills, Disney Wonder, Fairfield Inn
  • 2008(Aug)Country Inn, 2nd RCCL, AKL, 2008(Oct)& 2008(Xmas)Fairfield Inn, 2009(May)Country Inn 2009(Aug)OKW, Disney Magic, Regal Sun
  • 2010(Easter) Hampton Inn LBV 2010(Aug) Royal Pacific & OKW 2011(Feb)H.I. Express LBV 2011(Aug)OKW, Disney Dream, HI DTD
  • 2011(Oct) Fairfield Inn 2012(Aug) Fairfield Inn, OKW 2012(Nov) Fairfield Inn 2013(Apr) Fairfield Inn LBV 2013(Aug) Swan & ESA LBV 2013(Oct) ESA LBV
  • 2014(Jul) Hilton Garden Inn LBV 2014(Sept) Disney Magic 14nt WBTA, Wyndham Bonnet Creek
wayneg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 12:31 PM   #17
wilma-bride
Would love a diet on Cadbury Flakes
Admits she's strange when it comes to eggs

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCLMan View Post
Housekeeping isn't necessarily a tipped position.
As I said in my post above
wilma-bride is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-24-2013, 12:37 PM   #18
dixonsontour
DIS Veteran

The plus of free ddp is you will not be needing any money for food other than the tips.

I know some people put tip money to one side in envelopes and then it's not part of your holiday spends.

If you are wanting to keep tips down then eat at cheaper places or choose cheaper option. Don't have the dessert unless you want it - sometimes on ddp server will push you to have it as it bumps their tip.

DH 39 Me 39 DD 8

Perfectly Princess Tea Party Review Disney Dining 2010 Review
Dining on a budget - $100 a day with coupons All new Dining on a Budget of $100 May 2012
Dixons go Deluxe Oct/Nov 12
dixonsontour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 01:19 PM   #19
darthtatty
Been There, Done That, Going Back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixonsontour View Post
If you are wanting to keep tips down then eat at cheaper places or choose cheaper option. Don't have the dessert unless you want it - sometimes on ddp server will push you to have it as it bumps their tip.
I agree, some people tend to choose the higher priced food items as its 'free'
forgetting that this would mean a higher tip.
The suggested amounts are printed on the receipts
Feb 2005 - Sequoia Lodge@Disneyland Paris
May 2009 - Holiday@ Contemporary Resort Trip report
August 2011-Holiday@Contemporary Resort Trip report
March 2013-Perth Australia
darthtatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 01:24 PM   #20
scoobydooby
Dreaming of next Disney trip

I budget £400 for tips on a Disney trip.
Old 01-24-2013, 02:17 PM   #21
Jennifer84
Mouseketeer

can you use a gift card to tip? Or do you need to have cash? I was hoping to not carry any cash around on vacation

Me: , DS (9): , DD (6): , DD (3):

April 2014 PTR

Jennifer84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 02:22 PM   #22
MichelinMan
I Am Speed - Ka-Chow!!!!

As stated, housekeeping isn't a tipped position. Furthermore, housekeeping don't expect it (at least according to one of the Be Our Guest podcasts I listened to recently who quoted somebody who actually worked in housekeeping). By all accounts, leaving tips for housekeeping seems to be the exception, rather than the rule, and I personally won't be leaving one (never have in any hotel stays in the States in the past, and I'm not starting now).

I will be looking to leave a max of $15 per meal for my tips too, despite how much the receipt says. That works out around 10 quid, which to my mind is a pretty good tip. And I'm probably going to be tipping closer to $10. By my reckoning, if a server is waiting on multiple tables (as they do) $20-$30 an hour is a pretty good wage just with tips, without even counting the small wage they get from the restaurant.

July 1994 : WDW Off-Site on Honeymoon
July 2009 : DLP Newport Bay Club
July 2011 : DLP Disneyland Hotel
July 2013 : WDW Polynesian Resort / Hard Rock Universal / Renaissance SeaWorld
MichelinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 02:30 PM   #23
wilma-bride

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer84 View Post
can you use a gift card to tip? Or do you need to have cash? I was hoping to not carry any cash around on vacation
It would be difficult and fiddly to use a gift card for tips (in my opinion), however probably not impossible. If staying on site and using the dining plan, a better option might be to charge the tip to your room, using your Key To The World (KTTW) and settle your room charges using the gift card.

Out of interest, if you don't plan to carry any cash at all, how do you intend to pay for things you buy out of pocket? Would you be having alcohol with a TS meal. If so, when you settle the check and pay for your extras, just add the tip on before using whatever payment method you intend to use.
Old 01-24-2013, 02:41 PM   #24
cmbpanda
Mouseketeer

I have read a few threads about tipping over the last few days, which have been really helpful as we've not been to the US much. A couple of people have mentioned tips for the DME driver and taxi drivers. How much should we budget for this? I am assuming 10% of a taxi fare and about $10 for DME driver. We are a family of 4. I'd be really grateful if someone could let me know if that's OK or should it be more or less? Thanks helpful DIS people
cmbpanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 03:05 PM   #25
wilma-bride

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmbpanda View Post
I have read a few threads about tipping over the last few days, which have been really helpful as we've not been to the US much. A couple of people have mentioned tips for the DME driver and taxi drivers. How much should we budget for this? I am assuming 10% of a taxi fare and about $10 for DME driver. We are a family of 4. I'd be really grateful if someone could let me know if that's OK or should it be more or less? Thanks helpful DIS people
Personally, for the DME driver, if he/she helps with your bags, I would tip $1 per bag at each end (i.e. on pickup and when unloading) plus maybe an extra $1 or $2 if he/she goes out of their way to be extra helpful.

For a taxi trip, we generally just round the fare up by a couple of $$ (unless they have assisted with luggage or anything else)
Old 01-24-2013, 03:11 PM   #26
Canooknic
Mouseketeer

I think the 'when in Rome' quote totally sums up tipping. I lived in the UK until a couple of years go and although I would always tip I know several friends and family didn't unless thy received exceptional service, its not something that is commonly done but now I'm living in Canada and it is the norm to tip (as it is in the US) I would be mortified if I was out with someone and they didn't leave a tip - unless there were major & unresolved issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmbpanda View Post
I read somewhere that for DME they recommend $1 per person or $1 per bag - whichever is higher.
When we go in a couple of weeks there are 4 of us, only one suitcase but we'll probably tip $5.00 because it's easier to hand over a bill than change - just my opinion.

POR Feb 6-14 2013
POR Feb 2-11 2014
Canooknic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 03:32 PM   #27
2Tiggies
I am subscribing to this thread just so I can see your shirt
I like those water proof containers that hang around my neck on a lanyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanierose View Post
This is all good advice thanks! I don't tip here if the food/service is bad, but from what I remember the service is always good in wdw. We'll see about the food! We're staying in OKW but not on points so I'm guessing we'll have mousekeeping everyday?
How many of you are in the room? Does it NEED cleaning every day?

It's always been my DD and I in a room and I like to keep things tidy and organized. We don't need new towels every day, we can make our beds every other day and what we do is put the Do Not Disturb sign on our door every second day as we really don't need room service. We do always tip mousekeeping on the days when we have the service, but as others have mentioned, it's not a tipped position and entirely at your own discretion.

It's an option to bear in mind if you think you'd feel guilty about not tipping for service. I'd personally rather have room service every second day and tip well for it than have it every day when it's not needed and give a low tip. Again, offering options for you, but it really is your discretion.

Dining tips are a different story and the previous posters have covered that topic very well so I won't be repetitive.

My share Elize79's point of view: When in Rome ....

And a sneaky add-on at Bay Lake Tower
2Tiggies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 03:37 PM   #28
monicab28
Earning My Ears

One thing to remember as you decide whether or not to tip your waiter is that it might appear that they are waiting on 2-4 tables and making $20-$30 an hour, but in reality it's just not true. They have to split their tips with other wait staff--like the busboys. In addition to that, as a server, they are required to pay income tax on 15% of their wages whether they get it or not! It's hard to be a server!

When we were in DW in May/June, we had the Standard Dining plan and with 4 adult eaters, we usually paid around $20 per meal for tips....but I am also a generous tipper! It's more blessed to give than to receive.
monicab28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 03:41 PM   #29
scoobydooby
Dreaming of next Disney trip

Do you mean $20 per person? $20 for a TS for four seems quite low?
Old 01-24-2013, 03:54 PM   #30
wayneg
VMK AceCaptainWayne
I can't get my mouth to say healthy things

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobydooby View Post
Do you mean $20 per person? $20 for a TS for four seems quite low?
Depends on what you eat, we are 3 adults. 2 of us almost always eating the most expensive steaks, DW always a cheaper chicken dish. Tips at 18% worked out around $18 most meals. So 4 adults eating average meals I would estimate around $20 maybe just over, $5 tip is 18% of $28 before tax.
  • 2005(Oct) Disney Magic + BW Lakeside, 2005 (Xmas) BW Lakeside, 2006(Aug) Courtyard By Marriott LBV + 1st RCCL cruise,
  • 2006(Oct) Disneyland, Cailfornia Howard Johnson, 2006(Xmas)Comfort Inn LBV,2007(Easter)Fairfield Inn, Marriott Village
  • 2007(Aug)Courtyard By Marriott LBV, 2007(Oct) Disneyland CA, HoJo/Vegas, Flamingo,2008(Easter) Windsor Hills, Disney Wonder, Fairfield Inn
  • 2008(Aug)Country Inn, 2nd RCCL, AKL, 2008(Oct)& 2008(Xmas)Fairfield Inn, 2009(May)Country Inn 2009(Aug)OKW, Disney Magic, Regal Sun
  • 2010(Easter) Hampton Inn LBV 2010(Aug) Royal Pacific & OKW 2011(Feb)H.I. Express LBV 2011(Aug)OKW, Disney Dream, HI DTD
  • 2011(Oct) Fairfield Inn 2012(Aug) Fairfield Inn, OKW 2012(Nov) Fairfield Inn 2013(Apr) Fairfield Inn LBV 2013(Aug) Swan & ESA LBV 2013(Oct) ESA LBV
  • 2014(Jul) Hilton Garden Inn LBV 2014(Sept) Disney Magic 14nt WBTA, Wyndham Bonnet Creek
wayneg is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: