Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-27-2013, 02:24 PM   #1
nfceagles
Mouseketeer

3rd trip with Dairy, Egg, and Peanut Allergic DS7

We just came home yesterday from another successful Disney trip.

Background: We stayed at BLT, always have. Love the Contempo Cafe for convenient meals. Ordered some groceries for simple breakfasts from Garden Grocer. Bagels w/ Toffuti Cream Cheese, Cereal, fruit, etc... DS is allergic to milk, eggs, and peanuts. I also usually list tree nuts and shellfish since we haven't tried them and don't want to find out at Disney, but sometimes allow foods with warnings since we don't have a confirmed allergy. My DS has also seen some improvement in his dairy allergy over the last year. He eats bread-like foods with baked in milk just fine and has recently started having mozz and cheddar cheese, both baked and cold. He doesn't like them much though. He is still allergic to straight milk as we had a food challenge in Sept and he failed after a total of 6 ml (just over a tsp), but it wasn't ana, just itchy throat and itchy watery eyes. I'll try to point out when any of his foods weren't completely dairy free, but usually I just told the chef he had a dairy allergy. I also sometimes ordered foods I'm comfortable with without notifying a manager when the rest of the menu items don't worry me too much, especially since I don't worry about dairy cross-contamination too much. I didn't take very many pictures, but I'll post the few I have. They may be in a separate post since I always have trouble figuring out how to post pics here. For the record, DS loves meat, so our go to meal is some sort of meat and fries. At home he begrudgingly eats the veggies I prepare, but I don't fight it while on vacation, especially since they aren't usually prepared to his liking and I don't have his preferred salad dressing for salads.

Last edited by nfceagles; 01-27-2013 at 03:55 PM.
nfceagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 03:51 PM   #2
nfceagles
Mouseketeer

DAY 1

We arrived around 4:30 and checked into Saratoga Springs for 1 night before transfering to BLT the next day. For dinner we went to Pollo Compero in DTD. I had read and printed out their ingredient listing from their website previously and we ordered a family feast of fried chicken (the grilled contains dairy, but the fried doesn't; neither contain egg). With that we got tortillas, a side of fries and tortilla chips and salsa. I didn't notify anyone of our allergies. Food was really good. Then we got dessert at Babycakes. I think pickings were slim when we stopped in. I didn't see any brownie bites or frosting shots. We got several donuts to eat then and for breakfast the next morning and I got a cookie sandwich. DH and DS liked the donuts. DD didn't like hers. I'm not sure if it's because it was gluten free or because she's used to raised donuts rather than cake-style donuts. My cookie sandwich was good thought the frosting was a strange purple color. I'd love to go back to Babycakes for future trips, but we're not really crazy about DTD so I'm not sure we'll make the effort.

DAY 2

Breakfast was left over Babycakes.

After checking in at BLT, we grabbed lunch at the Contempo Cafe. Got a very nice manager. Asked for a flatbread pepperoni pizza without cheese, something DS loved from our last trip (the kids pizzas can't be customized because they come pre-assembled). Turns out the flatbread crust now contains dairy, but I ok'd it since DS can do baked milk. I also asked he manager if she could get an allergy cupcake from Chef Mickey's kitchen and she happily obliged.

We grabbed dinner at Flame Tree BBQ in AK. Another nice manager got us chicken, ribs, fresh fruit, and Enjoy Life choc chip cookies. We love Flame Tree.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-27-2013, 04:13 PM   #3
nfceagles
Mouseketeer

DAY 3

We got lunch at Cosmic Rays. Rotisserie Chicken with fries instead of the mashed potatoes and veggie. We've had this several times and I wasn't worried about cross-contamination from other menu items. I like the food here, but find the crowds and multiple bays crazy. Trying to find the rest of our party and a table to eat at is always a nightmare.

Dinner was at Kona Cafe. This was our first time there. DS was interested in the chicken wings appetizer, but the super nice chef was worried about them being fried in the same fryer as shrimp so she offered to get some of the dry rubbed wings from Ohana. She brought DS a pile of them with fries and he devoured them. Wouldn't give his plate up when it was time to order dessert because he wanted to keep working on them. For dessert, DS was asking for a root beer float, but I asked if she could do anything similar to the Kona Kone with Tofutti ice cream and we convinced him to get that instead. It was great. Blue cotton candy on a plate, topped with a bowl of Toffuti ice cream with chocolate sauce and sprinkles. The bowl is usually a waffle bowl, but that wasn't safe. Still it was extraordinary, especially for a kid who usually can't get any dessert at a restaurant.
Old 01-27-2013, 04:34 PM   #4
nfceagles
Mouseketeer

Kona Kone

Old 01-27-2013, 04:51 PM   #5
Talking Hands
|,,|/ DEAF DISNEY LOVER
Mom to 2 beautiful young ladies
SIGNS TO OLDIES ON THE RADIO

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfceagles View Post
Kona Kone

That looks yummy! I would love that.

Talking Hands
|,,|/ DEAF Disney Lover
Talking Hands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 11:05 PM   #6
scrapnmom
Mouseketeer

Thanks for sharing! My DD is allergic to egg.

What I don't understand is HOW do you get the manager at a CS? Do you have to wait in line and then ask instead of placing an order? I would love to know this to be prepared!

Planning my 14th trip, 4/30-5/7 at POR

scrapnmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 12:55 PM   #7
Betty Rohrer
DIS Veteran

when reaching order station, just ask to speak to manger because of allergry. you may need to step to the side and wait a couple of minutes. should not be a problem
Betty Rohrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 04:34 PM   #8
nfceagles
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapnmom View Post
Thanks for sharing! My DD is allergic to egg.

What I don't understand is HOW do you get the manager at a CS? Do you have to wait in line and then ask instead of placing an order? I would love to know this to be prepared!
I remember feeling like this before our first trip.

It kind of depends on the location and the crowd. If it's really crowded you'll probably need to stand in the line to ask the cashier (ex: Cosmic Ray's). You just tell her you need to place an allergy order and she'll get a manager for you. I try to avoid crowds that bad though. If it's not too crowded, I am usually able to walk straight up to the bar where the kitchen passes out the food and tell them I need to place an allergy order. Then they find a manager for me. Generally, any employee in there will help you find a manager as soon as you say "allergy order". After talking to the manager, she'll write you up a slip that you take to the cashier who will ring up your order.
Old 01-29-2013, 12:59 AM   #9
wendow
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfceagles View Post
I also asked he manager if she could get an allergy cupcake from Chef Mickey's kitchen and she happily obliged.
This is good to know. We stayed at BLT also and will be back there this fall so we eat a lot at Contempo Cafe. The manager never offered to do this for us and I didn't know to ask. I will next time
Old 01-29-2013, 06:26 PM   #10
nfceagles
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendow

This is good to know. We stayed at BLT also and will be back there this fall so we eat a lot at Contempo Cafe. The manager never offered to do this for us and I didn't know to ask. I will next time
I did have a manager last trip tell me that she couldn't confirm it's ingredients, but if I was confident they were safe she would get one. We'd been to Chef Mickey's enough times before that I was confident they were ok for my DS.
Old 02-02-2013, 09:02 PM   #11
nfceagles
Mouseketeer

DAY 4

Breakfast was Chef Mickey's. Really nice chef asked us what DS preferred. Allergy-friendly Mickey Waffles of course, bacon, and fruit. Then DS piped up and asked if they had any corned beef hash. Chef said that their corned beef hash was indeed safe, but warned us that it was a little different than your typical hash. We agreed to try it. DS got a great big plate of all we'd requested. He didn't really like the corned beef hash, but it was still great that he was able to try some. We had a great meal, one that's become a tradition for us.

For a snack, we grabbed our first Dole Whips at Aloha Isle. It was pretty great to get "ice cream" as a family. DS had orange, lactose-intolerant DH had pineapple/vanilla swirl, and I had a pineapple float. YUM! I don't worry about dairy cross-contamination with DS, so I didn't ask a lot of questions about the machines and how it's made, but I did notice that one machine is an Orange/Pineapple machine which would reduce the nozzle at a source of cross-contamination with the vanilla flavor.

Lunch was at Casey's, hot dog and fries. None of us really enjoyed our hot dogs. No seats available, stale buns, and not hot enough to melt the cheese on top of our chili dogs (DS's didn't have cheese.). Not sure what people see in this place.

We grabbed dinner at Contempo Cafe. DS got his favorite no cheese Pepperoni Flatbread. The crust does contain dairy, but he's ok with baked milk. Enjoy Life cookies or a popsicle for dessert, can't remember for sure, but he had both at the Contempo through out the week.

Last edited by nfceagles; 02-02-2013 at 09:14 PM.
Old 02-02-2013, 09:35 PM   #12
nfceagles
Mouseketeer

DAY 5

At Epcot, we grabbed lunch at Sunshine Seasons, our first meal there. DS had chicken drumsticks, rice, and a gelatin cup. He really enjoyed it. There were a lot of choices for desserts there. They had the Surf Sweets gummies, Rocky Mountain caramel corn. Enjoy Life cookies and chocolate candy bars. They also had boxes of Enjoy Life soft cookies, but I wasn't sure what to make of them. They weren't individually packaged, they were the boxes of 14 or so just like I would buy at a grocery store. Was I supposed to buy the whole box? What was the price? Was I supposed to take a couple out of the box? I didn't think that was appropriate as I'm sure future allergic customers wouldn't want cookies a stranger has previously opened. I didn't know if a server should get them out to go with a special diets meal, but they were laid out with all the other special diet desserts. Regardless, I didn't see anyone to ask and DS wanted Surf Sweet gummies instead, but I was confused by them.

That night dinner was at Le Cellier. The server told us she could run DS's choice by the chef or we could speak to him directly if we preferred. DS, usually all over steak, surprised me and asked for the seared salmon kids' meal with fries and green beans (well, he didn't choose the green beans, but they were part of the kids' meal). I was pretty sure they'd be able to do that so I didn't ask to speak directly to the chef. The server also seemed well-versed in allergies. DS enjoyed it all, except the green beans. The server suggested a Tofutti ice cream sundae for dessert which DS happily agreed to.
Old 02-04-2013, 02:59 PM   #13
monorailsilver
DIS Veteran

Thanks for the update!

My son has a dairy, peanut, tree nut (some he isn't allergic to but we avoid all) & egg white allergy (can eat it in cooked foods).

August will be his 3rd trip there as well. He is a little bummed out knowing the itzakadoozie pop won't be there. Oh well!

He is 9 & I wish he liked more desserts because I know Disney has more that he can eat (the same with breakfast). He won't eat pancakes or waffles so pretty much breakfast buffets are out! He won't eat cakes, cup cakes, brownies & most cookies. I really wish I didin't like them either.
June 1975 Golf Resort & Polynesian August 1977 DL off site April 1990 WDW off site May 1981 Polynesian July-August 1985 Polynesian July-August 1987 Polynesian/Floridian July-August 1990 Beach Club May 1994 All Star Sports/Polynesian June 1995 Wilderness Lodge/Dixie Landings February 1997 off site/Wilderness Lodge March-April 1999 Engagement Trip February 2000 Polynesian August 2002 Polynesian July 2005 Polynesian August 2008 Polynesian August 2013 Polynesian and I think there were a few more trips here & there but I have lost track.
monorailsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 05:31 PM   #14
scrapnmom
Mouseketeer

Thanks for the update!

Planning my 14th trip, 4/30-5/7 at POR

scrapnmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: