Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Universal Studios/Sea World > Universal Orlando Resorts & Hotels
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-25-2013, 03:00 PM   #1
lilo12
Earning My Ears

Universal Handicap Ammenities

My friend is planning a trip with his mom, who is handicapped, to Universal next January. Is anyone knowledgable about the priorities and help given to people in wheelchairs? Also, does anyone know if guests staying on property are given extra time in the park similar to those of Disney resorts? Any help is extremely appreciated
Old 01-25-2013, 03:18 PM   #2
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilo12 View Post
does anyone know if guests staying on property are given extra time in the park similar to those of Disney resorts?
Yes. Onsite guests get to enter Wizarding World at IOA one hour earlier than normal opening, EVERY day. It gives you a jump on Forbidden Journey or Ollivanders, neither of which participate in the Express Pass.

If you go to the Loews resorts site and find any of the three onsite hotels, the perks are spelled out quite nicely, including the fact that you get access to the perks for your whole stay, from checkin (which you can do early in the morning if you wish) to the end of the day you check out.

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently maintaining 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-25-2013, 03:30 PM   #3
mjohnson96
DIS Veteran

last May we stayed at PBH and my dad was having some serious issues with his legs. The first night he could not even make it to the boat to go to dinner so the front desk hooked me up with the company to rent the scooters and he even ended up going to the parks that week

He loved being onsite because he could just drive or wheel himself on the boat and off we went. It was much easier than getting on the busses honestly with a wheelchair or scooter. He was very happy with how they had everything set up and the cost of the chair was nothing compared to the look on his face when we got into WWOHP, he is a huge fan.

So from my experience your friend and his mom should not experience any problems, except for the crowds getting around was not that bad!

We also love staying onsite and do on every trip now! The Express Pass is well worth the hotel room costs, we have gotten spoiled with not having to wait in lines

mjohnson96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 04:58 PM   #4
lilo12
Earning My Ears

Thank you both so much for your help and advice! It's on his mom's bucket list of things to do so they're both very excited. I will definitely pass on the info.
Old 01-25-2013, 05:21 PM   #5
macraven
Proud Redhead
Has the longest test on record
I’m a Universal Homie

Location: between milwaukee and chicago (in Tom Felton's house)

from the UO website for wc rentals:

Stroller & Wheelchair Rentals

Guests can rent strollers, wheelchairs and Electric Convenience Vehicles (ECV) upon entrance to either theme park, to the left side of each park's entrance. Manual wheelchairs are also available at the Rotunda area of the parking structure. Due to limited numbers, please note that ECV Rentals are on a first-come, first-served basis and must be operated by a single person 18 years of age or older.

UO website info for ADA info:

http://www.universalorlando.com/Reso...h=disabilities

macraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 06:37 AM   #6
SueM in MN
It's like combining the teacups with a roller coaster

DISboards Moderator

Follow the link in my signature to the disABILITIES FAQs thread. Post 2 is about renting ECVs and scooters - including off site rental companies.

There is another post in that thread (I think it is post 9) which is about Universal and includes links to their website information for guests with disabilities, including a link to their Rider's Guide for guests with disabilities.

Spaceship Earth: We are all passengers together.
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans......John Lennon
Be a rainbow in someone else's cloud. Dr. Maya Angelou
trip report link in Memory of eternaldisneyfan, who lived these words: Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns. I am thankful that thorns have roses. Alphonse Karr
SueM in MN is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: