Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-24-2013, 07:45 AM   #1
ckelly14
Lurker

Going solo, what would YOU do??

Heading down to WDW for a conference, and plan to stay an extra night to do Disney on my own. Never have been to Disney without Kids, Parents, Grandparents, Schoolmates, etc. Flying in Thursday, with most of the day Friday and Saturday to call my own.

So...If you could do anything YOU wanted to do, what would it be? Yes, I said it- COMPLETE FREEDOM!

Looking for something off the beaten track at the parks, not your typical Disney with Kids thing. I at least need to lay eyes on the new Fantasyland, but otherwise I'm open.

Your thoughts?
ckelly14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 07:48 AM   #2
erincon23
Everyone must have gotten a life in the last few days
As you can see, I have gotten sidetracked

I've done a solo weekend -- it's a blast! Unfortunately, I didn't have the money to do a tour -- but that would be awesome -- you could do one of the backstage tours, go to dinner at a place the kids wouldn't have sat still for, go resort-hopping! Be sure to take your time and linger where you haven't been able to before -- explore every inch of the Epcot countries, look at a shop in detail, etc. Have a great time!

me DH DS16 DS20 On our last family trip, 3/09
erincon23 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-24-2013, 07:51 AM   #3
natandscott
Mouseketeer

I did Disney by myself once and it was FANTASTIC! I could browse in any store I wanted to....I didn't have to go back to the resort for a nap if I didn't want to....I got to go in the single rider line. I covered a lot of square footage very quickly.

One of the things I was able to do on this trip was the Art of Animation tour at DHS. Not sure if they still offer it, but we had a fabulous instructor and it gave me a chance to do something that I wouldn't be able to do with kids in tow.

Have a great time!
March 2010: Disney's Boardwalk
November 2011: Disney's Wilderness Lodge
December 2012: Disney's Beach Club Resort
January 2014: Disney Cruise (Fantasy); Port Orleans Riverside; Pop Century
natandscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 07:52 AM   #4
Missytara
I'm all ears!

There is actually a board dedicated to solo and adult travelers where you can find some wonderful ideas.

I like to do the GF/CR/Poly monorail loop; and do some wandering through the shops. Then I go back to MK, and take the boat over to WL and sit in the lounge and have some snacks and a couple of glasses of wine.

I love to sit at the bar at Prime Time 50's Cafe. There is such a huge turnover at lunchtime and it is a great place to people watch.

I love going to DTD in the evening - I stay at POR and usually end my evening at a resort for dinner and take the bus back to DTD and leisurely walk through the shops on my way to the water taxi.

Strolling down the BW area in the evening is also entertaining. I take the BC/YC/BW/Swan/Dolphin loop and end up back at BW, then take the DTD bus back in the evening.

I also take a few light paperbacks with me to carry in my backpack, so I can stop and read while eating a meal or catching a snack and sitting outdoors.

Me and the three cats - Momma Abby and the Kids, Gracie, Jack, and R.I.P. my little Desi (10/14/11) - Momma and the kids miss you and so do I.
Missytara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 07:53 AM   #5
ckelly14
Lurker

Hate to say it, but I've never been to Fantasmic. May try to do Dinner at HS. Any place there have a bar I can sit at so I don't look like a dork eating by myself..?
Old 01-24-2013, 07:54 AM   #6
ckelly14
Lurker

Prime Time cafe- great idea. You guys are fast!
Old 01-24-2013, 07:55 AM   #7
Missytara
I'm all ears!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckelly14 View Post
Hate to say it, but I've never been to Fantasmic. May try to do Dinner at HS. Any place there have a bar I can sit at so I don't look like a dork eating by myself..?
50's Prime Time Cafe has a great bar and there are TV's there similar to the tables where they run clips of old TV shows. There is also a huge turnover of tables there, so it is a great place to people watch, as well as chat with people who are at the bar waiting for a table.

Me and the three cats - Momma Abby and the Kids, Gracie, Jack, and R.I.P. my little Desi (10/14/11) - Momma and the kids miss you and so do I.
Missytara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 08:15 AM   #8
DakotaRose
Mouseketeer

At Epcot seek out some of the live performances you haven't seen yet.
X2 on trying restaurants that haven't appealed to your family. Splurge a little - easier to do for one person.
Instead of lunch, have great appetizers at a bar like Crew's Cup or Tutto Gusto.
See the new castle light show.
Ride your favorite ride four times.
Instead of a sensible breakfast have a Citrus Swirl or strawberry shortcake.
Old 01-24-2013, 08:26 AM   #9
stargazertechie
Toy Story Midway Maniac

Enjoy One Man's Dream- actually take the time to soak it all in.

Take a tour or two. Behind the Seeds is affordable and fun!

Take full advantage of the Single Rider Lines!

Spend some time on the animal trails at AK

Splurge on a meal that is outside of your normal budget/impractical with a whole family.

Do the animation academy a few times

Stop and offer to take photos for families. They'll appreciate having those photos down the road

Drink around the Monorail resorts

Upcoming trip- WDW Trip #14. BCV. 6/13.

Thinking about buying pins from ebay and getting into pin trading? PLEASE READ THIS FIRST!
stargazertechie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 08:42 AM   #10
wearegoingtoDisney
Mouseketeer

I remember seeing rocking chairs or something at the entrance to MK at the building with Tony's restraunt and the big porch. I thought if I ever come alone I am going to sit in one of those after the park closes and people watch and enjoy just being there. No one to tell me that they are hungry tired or want to go on a ride. Just sit and relax and enjoy
Old 01-24-2013, 08:49 AM   #11
GillianP1301
DIS Veteran

I did Disneyland alone once as part of a business trip and LOVED it! I did a half day behind the scenes tour and I would highly recommend a tour of any kind.

After that, I would try to take in some of the street entertainment, shops, etc... anything where I normally don't have a hope in heck of seeing with a little one in tow.
Caribbean Beach Resort - Aug 2012 - First visit with DS4
Disneyland - 2003 - Solo business trip
WDW Offsite - 1997 - 5th Anniversary
WDW Offsite - 1992 - Honeymooon
WDW Offsite - 1986 - First WDW trip
GillianP1301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 09:16 AM   #12
DebbieB
DVC Member BWV 99
You have to compare apples to apples

I had a business trip to Orlando and had a free night. I went to MK, watched Spectromagic & Wishes (it was winter so they were at 7:00 & 8:00), hopped the monorail and saw Illuminations at Epcot. Saw all of my favorite night time shows.
Old 01-24-2013, 10:19 AM   #13
TinCup
Mouseketeer

If you get a chance check out Jelly Rolls on the Boardwalk one night. Its a lot of fun.
TinCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 10:21 AM   #14
Metro West
Proud Redhead
11.47 Miles from Universal
23.56 Miles from Disney

DISboards Moderator

You can and should do what ever your little heart desires. That's the advantage of going solo.
Old 01-24-2013, 11:14 AM   #15
ckelly14
Lurker

Great information, thank you. I'm considering the Backstage Magic tour, but I think I'll be too pressed for time (if it is indeed available). Solo boards very helpful as well.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: