Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-24-2013, 12:57 AM   #1
moore523
Mouseketeer

Nassau Straw Market--How far??

I searched the forum for info on the Straw Market and found lots of great tips on haggling, etc. and that it was close--but can anyone tell me how close?

How long will it take to get there--by walking?

Thanks!

Walt Disney World "Family of 4" Vacations
August 2010
September 2011
March 2012
August 2013
April 2014

Disney's Vero Beach Resort
October 2012

Disney Cruise Line
April 2013
September 2014
moore523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 01:29 AM   #2
libpetersen
Mouseketeer

Straw market

It is just a minute or two outside of where you dock, super easy to get to from the ship. Its alot of fun, but there are so many amazing places to go just a short cab or bus ride away, I would venture outside of the straw market. Also, you can get day passes for many of the hotels in cable beach or you can get a room at comfort inn at paradise island, which we have done, that gives you full access to Atlantis and its water park. I personnally love the trip down to Traveler's Rest for food and the amazing beach across the street by cab if you want to get away from crowds and just enjoy the beautiful Bahamas Beach. Traveler's Rest has been family owned forever and the food is amazing. You can check out on Trip Advisor.

I love Nassau and there is so much more than the dock area!
Register to remove

Old 01-24-2013, 08:47 AM   #3
MND
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by moore523 View Post
I searched the forum for info on the Straw Market and found lots of great tips on haggling, etc. and that it was close--but can anyone tell me how close?

How long will it take to get there--by walking?

Thanks!
As the PP pointed out, the Straw Market is very close. Attached is a walking guide to Nassau.

Enjoy your cruise!

http://www.brentjes.com/nassau.html
MND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 08:58 AM   #4
cmclaura
How many more days til our next cruise?????

Out of the many times we've been to Nassau, this month was the first time I ventured to the straw market. What a HUGE disappointment. Everyone had pretty much the same merchandise, and not much of it looked good. And not that much of it was straw goods. TONS of T shirts and sweat shirts, cloth bags, etc. And we saw the same stuff all over town, too.

Really very disappointing.

YES! We are DVC Members! Since February 2009! Best thing we ever did! WONDER 1/17-20/2008 3 Night Bahamas MAGIC 1/17-24/2009 7 Night Eastern Caribbean MAGIC 1/9-16/2020 7 Night Western Caribbean MAGIC 1/8-15/2011 7 Night Western Caribbean
DREAM 12/20/2011-1/3/2012 5 Night Double Dip New Year’s Eve Bahamas DREAM 1/3-8/2012 5 Night Double Dip Back to Back Bahamas MAGIC 8/5-10/2012 5 Night NYC to Canada DREAM 1/6-10/2013 4 Night Bahamas
DREAM 1/10-13/2013 3 Night Bahamas DVC Member Cruise WDW 10/19-24/2013 Visit with Daughter in Disney College Program FANTASY 2/1-8/2014 7 Night Western Caribbean PLATINUM!!! and GRAND SLAM MEMBERS! NEXT CRUISE is WONDER 7/6/15 7 Night ALASKA!
cmclaura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 11:17 AM   #5
moore523
Mouseketeer

Thanks everyone! I have 2 little ones, so we thought we'd just get off the ship for a little bit, check it out, and then head back to the ship and let them (hopefully) enjoy the pool etc with a little less of a crowd!

Walt Disney World "Family of 4" Vacations
August 2010
September 2011
March 2012
August 2013
April 2014

Disney's Vero Beach Resort
October 2012

Disney Cruise Line
April 2013
September 2014
moore523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 11:20 AM   #6
zippingalong
Mouseketeer

Just a warning. If someone tries to give you a *gift* (much like Jamaica) at the straw market, do NOT hold out your hand. They'll then try to make you pay for it and hound you.

I'm not a fan. My teen DD likes to visit, but I hate it.
zippingalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 12:52 PM   #7
Jillpie
Can you package some Main St. music and send it to me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by libpetersen View Post
It is just a minute or two outside of where you dock, super easy to get to from the ship. Its alot of fun, but there are so many amazing places to go just a short cab or bus ride away, I would venture outside of the straw market. Also, you can get day passes for many of the hotels in cable beach or you can get a room at comfort inn at paradise island, which we have done, that gives you full access to Atlantis and its water park. I personnally love the trip down to Traveler's Rest for food and the amazing beach across the street by cab if you want to get away from crowds and just enjoy the beautiful Bahamas Beach. Traveler's Rest has been family owned forever and the food is amazing. You can check out on Trip Advisor.

I love Nassau and there is so much more than the dock area!
This Traveler's Rest sounds nice, so you take a cab to it? Is that what the beach is called? Can you be more specific as to what to tell the cab driver, and is it free for the beach? Any pictures? Thanks!
Old 01-24-2013, 12:58 PM   #8
Eeyore'sthebest
DIS Veteran
Not So Tagless in NJ
They don't call them crackberries for nothing!
talk about chafing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by moore523 View Post
Thanks everyone! I have 2 little ones, so we thought we'd just get off the ship for a little bit, check it out, and then head back to the ship and let them (hopefully) enjoy the pool etc with a little less of a crowd!
Don't take your little ones there. Last time we went they were very pushy towards the little kids. Lots of little crap that they want to sell the kids that are overpriced. We had a 7 yo there that wanted one of the little stone turtles. They wanted $5 for it. Tried to negotiate and they would only go down to $4 and told me that was cheap. Considering I had previously purchased the same type of stone turtle for $1 in Cozumel there was no way I was spending $4 for it. I ended up buying one for $3 in Savannah on the way home.

My DD hated Nassau because of the straw market. It was hot and extremely crowded. Next time we took her to the Pirate museum and it was much better! Not big but better than the straw market.
Old 01-24-2013, 01:31 PM   #9
noahsketomom
DIS Veteran

We were expecting the worst from the straw market, but were pleasantly surprised. It wasn't anything spectacular, but we gave the kids a budget and they were all able to find something they liked as a souvenir.

If you do head into town though, I'd recommend going a bit later -- late morning or so? We headed in about 11ish and did not get approached much for braiding, etc. Everyone treated our four kids (ages 5-10) very nicely and we met some nice folks. Sure there were some pushy folks, but we ignored them and went to other booths. We walked around a few other stores in town, but didn't see anything we were wowed over by.

We were back on board by 2 at the latest, kids headed straight back to the pools!
Old 01-24-2013, 08:52 PM   #10
CanuckTraveller
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MND View Post
As the PP pointed out, the Straw Market is very close. Attached is a walking guide to Nassau.

Enjoy your cruise!

http://www.brentjes.com/nassau.html
We followed this walking tour when we were in Nassau earlier this month and had a great time. Our boys are 7&5 yrs and they managed to do the whole walk without any problems. Nassau has some beautiful buildings and interesting history that you can explore at very little expense. We will be back in Nassau in March and the boys are already asking to go on another walk, I'm having to talk them into staying on the ship
About the straw market, we took our boys through there too and had no problems. People did ask if we wanted to look at their wares or if we were looking for something in particular, but that was it. We did find it rather overwhelming to be there, which is why we left.
African safari, July, 2016

Past:
DCL Dream/ WDW, March, 2013
NCL Jewel, New Year's Eve, 2012
NCL Star, New Year's, 2012
NCL Sun, New Year's, 2011
Land trips to all Canadian provinces, most of the eastern US, Jamaica, Dominican Republic, Cuba, Spain, Portugal, Italy, Egypt, Columbia, Puerto Rico and a few others I can't remember as a child!
CanuckTraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 08:57 PM   #11
MND
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckTraveller View Post
We followed this walking tour when we were in Nassau earlier this month and had a great time. Our boys are 7&5 yrs and they managed to do the whole walk without any problems. Nassau has some beautiful buildings and interesting history that you can explore at very little expense. We will be back in Nassau in March and the boys are already asking to go on another walk, I'm having to talk them into staying on the ship
About the straw market, we took our boys through there too and had no problems. People did ask if we wanted to look at their wares or if we were looking for something in particular, but that was it. We did find it rather overwhelming to be there, which is why we left.
I'm glad you enjoyed the walking tour. My 13 year old son and I loved walking through Nassau last spring. It's fun to visit new places. We strolled through the straw market but enjoyed the shops in the side streets near the market better.

Mike
MND is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: