Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-23-2013, 11:08 PM   #1
keltiesmom
Mouseketeer

What would you do, I need help!

So I just won the Jan. 20th draw of the disney time sweepstakes Our family has planned a trip to DL in Feb. We leave in 2 weeks. I want to use this prize to go to WDW, none of us have ever been, and we will have just been to DL, but DH wants to go back to DL. How do I convince him? We live on the west coast and our kids are DD5, DD3, DS1 so we are worried the full day of flying and the time change might be a bit much for them. We would also lose pretty much our whole first day in travel, where as if we went to DL we could have half a day probably the first day. We will likely never have the money to stay at the Grand Californian, or any Deluxe at WDW, if Deluxe is an option again this year. I also worry that 3 full days really isnt enough time to do WDW so maybe DL would be the better option since we will have just been there we wont need to do everything. Hopefully there will be the option of adding on days, as was the case in past years, but if its going to cost to much we might not be able to do that either.

Please help me out! I am so excited to be going to DL in 2 weeks, but I will need to figure this out before we go.
keltiesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 11:13 PM   #2
Robo
Attention: There's a '71 Castle in the Hub with its lights on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by keltiesmom View Post
1- I also worry that 3 full days really isnt enough time to do WDW

2- so maybe DL would be the better option since we will have just been there we wont need to do everything.

3- Hopefully there will be the option of adding on days, as was the case in past years, but if its going to cost to much we might not be able to do that either.

Please help me out! I am so excited to be going to DL in 2 weeks, but I will need to figure this out before we go.
1- That's true.
2- Having done both DLR and WDW many times, I'd vote for DLR in this limited time-frame case.
3- But, if you CAN (and can afford) to add several more days to the trip,
I'd head for Florida!
Robo is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-23-2013, 11:16 PM   #3
katt789
DIS Veteran

I would personally do WDW if you could. The trip over usually takes me 3/4 of a day, so technically yes, I lose a day for travel to and a day for travel from WDW.

However, I'm sure it's possible to talk to Disney and extend your stay? Obviously you'd have to pay, but if it was at a value resort, and you only need say,2 more days, it'd be okay. It could work like this:

Day 1: arrive
Day 2: Magic Kingdom
Day 3: Animal Kingdom
Day 4: Hollywood Studios
Day 5: Epcot/park hop back to MK
Day 6: Depart

You get a day in each park, and get to MK twice, obviously there are other times you can park hop, that's just super simple way to do it.

I have traveled to both DLR & WDW and will always be a lover of WDW, there is so much more to see there, different shows & attractions, characters are all on assigned schedules, and (in my opinion) easier to find and there's many many dining choices.

I think it's an amazing thing to see what both parks have to offer, and if you've just been to DLR, it's worth the extra bit to go over to WDW.

Congrats on winning!!
katt789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 11:25 PM   #4
Markstudy
DIS Veteran

If you want to try "guy talk" to your husband... I'm always impressed by the fact that WDW is 47 square miles (about the size of San Francisco)... I'm guessing DL is maybe 1 square mile?

Its something amazing that everyone should see once! But the down side is it takes 5 or 6 days with travel time from the West Coast.

Our Best Photos- Trip report scrapbook link-
http://www.panraven.com/newstoryview...storyId=161914
Jan 2009 - Royal Pacific, Sept 2008 - Poly
Oct 2007 - Yacht Club, Jan 2006 - Beach Club (Honeymoon)
Markstudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 11:48 PM   #5
Pakey

I'm not a rookie
I got 2 dogs. I joined the Dis.

I am a West coaster too with 25 WDW vacations. With your time constraints and the age of your children, I would stick with DLR.
Pakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 11:49 PM   #6
keltiesmom
Mouseketeer

From what I understand they offer you the option to add on, the cost of adding on days to the park hoppers is minimal, its the cost of the resort that will be expensive, but with not having to pay to get there, and half of the resort cost, and the $500 GC you get with the trip I think we should be able to add a couple of days on. Maybe a 7 night stay instead of a 4 night stay. The day we come home we should be able to go to the parks and fly home mid day and still be home around a decent time its just on the way there losing hours. I just told DH he doesnt get a choice, I am choosing WDW and we will make it work.
keltiesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 12:07 AM   #7
meghm03
Earning My Ears

Well first of all, Congrats on winning!

Second, I have never been to DL before, but I've been to WDW many, many times and I can't miss going every time I'm in Orlando area. I think it would be a wise choice since you've never gone, especially with the opening of New Fantasyland. As for the plane ride, its all part of the experience. And people are more understanding than you would think.
Old 01-24-2013, 01:46 AM   #8
sammons70
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by meghm03
Well first of all, Congrats on winning!

Second, I have never been to DL before, but I've been to WDW many, many times and I can't miss going every time I'm in Orlando area. I think it would be a wise choice since you've never gone, especially with the opening of New Fantasyland. As for the plane ride, its all part of the experience. And people are more understanding than you would think.
I agree with the above statement. How likely is it for you to get to the World in the future, let alone on Disney's dime. I'd at least research the cost of adding on a couple of days. I am a Californian born and raised. Been to DL more times than I can count. Been to DW once for 6 days in 2006. Hoping to return in July. You will be amazed at how different it is and what it has to offer. Go for the World if you can Congratulations and good luck!
Old 01-24-2013, 06:16 AM   #9
krd315
Mouseketeer

I just wanted to say Congrats on winning! Enjoy your trip!

Next up: Sept 2014 -POR
Past trips: Aug 2013, Sept 2012, Jan 2012, Aug 2000
krd315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 06:36 AM   #10
melifeld
Mouseketeer

Congratulations!!!

Someone may have already said this, but if you are able to add on some additional days who says they have to be at a deluxe resort? Switching to a value resort will give you a more affordable way to stick around for a few days. We stayed a whole week at a value a few years ago, All Star Sports, and we really enjoyed it. And the extra days on the tickets shouldn't cost much.

Have a great time!
Old 01-24-2013, 06:40 AM   #11
mom2mickeyfan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by keltiesmom View Post
So I just won the Jan. 20th draw of the disney time sweepstakes Our family has planned a trip to DL in Feb. We leave in 2 weeks. I want to use this prize to go to WDW, none of us have ever been, and we will have just been to DL, but DH wants to go back to DL. How do I convince him? We live on the west coast and our kids are DD5, DD3, DS1 so we are worried the full day of flying and the time change might be a bit much for them. We would also lose pretty much our whole first day in travel, where as if we went to DL we could have half a day probably the first day. We will likely never have the money to stay at the Grand Californian, or any Deluxe at WDW, if Deluxe is an option again this year. I also worry that 3 full days really isnt enough time to do WDW so maybe DL would be the better option since we will have just been there we wont need to do everything. Hopefully there will be the option of adding on days, as was the case in past years, but if its going to cost to much we might not be able to do that either.

I don't have anything to add! I just wanted to say congrats!!! How exciting!!
mom2mickeyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 06:45 AM   #12
davedmaine
DIS Veteran

You should do the right thing and give the trip to me.
davedmaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 06:47 AM   #13
stargazertechie
Toy Story Midway Maniac

Congrats! If you can afford to add on to the trip, I would go with WDW. I'm a WDW vet with my first trip to DL under my belt. The cost of GETTING to WDW is what kills west coasters, so tell DH that since this trip is subsidized (I won't say free- the tax man cometh) it makes a trip to the world much more do-able.

That being said- do consider the tax ramifications. If the elevated value of the WDW trip over the DL trip would bump you up a tax bracket, you have your answer!

The jet lag isn't terrible. I hit the ground running flying into CA (which I know it's easier flying west) and enjoyed Disneyland.

Congratulations!

Upcoming trip- WDW Trip #14. BCV. 6/13.

Thinking about buying pins from ebay and getting into pin trading? PLEASE READ THIS FIRST!
stargazertechie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 07:16 AM   #14
danceintherain
DIS Veteran

I agree with the others, I would do it if I could afford to add a few nights onto the trip. I doubt Disney will have a problem with your decision to spend more money.

I'm a strange case as far as the traveling goes, because my son has flown to Korea and back 3 times in the 2 1/2 years he's been alive. After that, nothing about traveling with kids phases me.

The time change is only a big deal if you make it that way. I know some of the west coasters around here use the change to their advantage by attending the evening Extra Magic Hours for the first few nights. Yeah it's unlikely that Rope Drop will be a possibility the first few days, but everyone automatically adjusts to time changes given enough time (it's usually a day per hour of change)

Anyways, I would price the vacation for a full week and see what it leaves you with. I don't really know how to convince your husband, each one is different. My DH's favorite part about Disney is all the dining we do.
POFQ Apr 13-20 ~ CBR: Nov 7-12, 2010 ~ Doubletree Guest Suites: July 8-14, 2009 ~ AKL: Jan 4-13, 2009 ~ Off-Property: New Year's 2006-2007, Spring Break 2001, Florida Resident 1991
danceintherain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 07:24 AM   #15
ttintagel
DIS Veteran

Congratulations!

Did they notify you by phone or email? My phone is always acting up, and I've been worried that I'd miss the call if I did win anything.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: