Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-23-2013, 09:12 PM   #1
disneyfans95
DIS Veteran

Why do people ask for medical info here?

It always boggles my mind when I see someone with "insert random medical issue here" and asks everything from if they need to go to the ER, call 911 or set up their plot at the local cemetery..

Honestly, don't folks call a MEDICAL professionals? If your first instinct is to hit a Disney forum to see if that red bump is a going to give septic shock, you got your priorities wrong..

I mean, there are stuff here that people post that screams call 911 and they take the time to post and hope some random person with zero true medical training might give them good advice.

disneyfans95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 09:14 PM   #2
tvguy
Sailed on:The Mermoz, Norway, Nordic Prince, Sovereign of the Seas, Amsterdam, Magic & Pride of America

It's a discussion board. I hear those kind of questions at work and from friends from time to time too. And these days, very few medical professionals will give out advice over the phone, they want to see you in person....and bill you for their services.
Register to remove

Old 01-23-2013, 09:17 PM   #3
low-key
DIS Veteran

just what tv guy said, often if something is wrong you ask a few people at work or family what they think, everyone knows if it dont get better you get to a Doctor
Old 01-23-2013, 09:18 PM   #4
cluvsdisney
DIS Veteran

I always wondered that too.

It's one thing to ask about someone's experience with a procedure or condition to get an inkling of what the original poster can possibly expect. But the "I'm bleeding out of my eye, should I go to the ER or wait until my doctor is in on Monday" questions baffle me.
cluvsdisney is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 09:20 PM   #5
kwelch10377
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvguy View Post
It's a discussion board. I hear those kind of questions at work and from friends from time to time too. And these days, very few medical professionals will give out advice over the phone, they want to see you in person....and bill you for their services.
I would agree, but I will say there are somethings that people need to use a little common sense and seek the advice of a medical professional right away.
kwelch10377 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 09:22 PM   #6
disneyfans95
DIS Veteran

Quote:
right so call your provider.. They have advice nurses for a reason..

I mean 99% of it is common sense and they still will say "I have 103 fever, my stomach hurts and I am bleed thru my nose". Should I call my doctor or take some advil?

You really think they are just trolling I mean real people can't be that out of touch? To POST here before calling 911, or your doctor or going to urgent care..
Old 01-23-2013, 09:24 PM   #7
phorsenuf
Not so New Rule author on the DISSome discuss it calmly and some ...
Grandma Oboe

Location: Concord NH and now Davenport FL. Home to meth addicts and dislocated cowboys I'm told.

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyfans95 View Post
It always boggles my mind when I see someone with "insert random medical issue here" and asks everything from if they need to go to the ER, call 911 or set up their plot at the local cemetery..

Honestly, don't folks call a MEDICAL professionals? If your first instinct is to hit a Disney forum to see if that red bump is a going to give septic shock, you got your priorities wrong..

I mean, there are stuff here that people post that screams call 911 and they take the time to post and hope some random person with zero true medical training might give them good advice.

Sometimes people just need a sounding board. As long as it's not something life-threatening then I see no harm.
Old 01-23-2013, 09:28 PM   #8
tvguy
Sailed on:The Mermoz, Norway, Nordic Prince, Sovereign of the Seas, Amsterdam, Magic & Pride of America

Quote:
right so call your provider.. They have advice nurses for a reason..

MY INSURANCE DROPPED THE ADVICE NURSES A COUPLE OF YEARS AGO BECAUSE THE DOCTORS WERE COMPLAINING ABOUT PATIENTS NOT CALLING THEM.

I mean 99% of it is common sense and they still will say "I have 103 fever, my stomach hurts and I am bleed thru my nose". Should I call my doctor or take some advil?

You really think they are just trolling I mean real people can't be that out of touch? To POST here before calling 911, or your doctor or going to urgent care..
I WORK IN A TV NEWSROOM, ANSWERING CALLS FROM THE GENERAL PUBLIC FOR 37+ YEARS HAS SHOWN ME THAT SOME PEOPLE ARE THAT OUT OF TOUCH. MORE THAN ONCE AFTER A PRESIDENTIAL NEWS CONFERENCE, I HAVE HAD PEOPLE CALL WANTING TO TALK TO THE PRESIDENT........"WHAT DO YOU MEAN HE ISN'T THERE, HE WAS JUST ON YOUR CHANNEL"

Old 01-23-2013, 09:30 PM   #9
disneyfans95
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Ok so you quoted in all caps and added nothing TVguy.. Sorry bud, but what was the point?
Old 01-23-2013, 09:32 PM   #10
tinkgirl1984
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyfans95
Yes, I think real people are that out of touch. I'm a nurse in a cardiology office now. Previously in CVICU. You wouldn't believe the number of people who call every day saying "I'm having pain in my chest and down my left arm. And kind of in my jaw. I'm sweaty and I feel nauseated, and this feels just like my last heart attack...can I have an appt. next week with Dr. Cardiologist?" It makes me literally want to slam the phone and scream GO TO THE ER!!! And it never fails that as soon as you tell them to go to the ER, they want to know which one. Really??? The CLOSEST one. I guess calling your doctors office is slightly better than posting on a Disney message board, but really, not by much sometimes. You just can't help some people.

Enough beignets to kill a person...and other Disney dining.
tinkgirl1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 09:32 PM   #11
tvguy

Quote:
Ok so you quoted in all caps and added nothing TVguy.. Sorry bud, but what was the point?
No, my response is the bolded part.
Old 01-23-2013, 09:34 PM   #12
phorsenuf
Not so New Rule author on the DISSome discuss it calmly and some ...
Grandma Oboe

Location: Concord NH and now Davenport FL. Home to meth addicts and dislocated cowboys I'm told.

Quote:
I believe his answers were within the post in caps.
Old 01-23-2013, 09:36 PM   #13
Jennasis
It's a miracle! I stayed awake during the El Rio Del Tiempo ride!
Let's not even TOUCH the whole Dog vs. dawg vs. Dowg thing!
PLINKO baby!

Quote:
Ummm, his comments WERE the caps. Or did you think YOU wrote that (since it was you he quoted).
Old 01-23-2013, 09:49 PM   #14
denisenh
All I can do is lie down
It has a thing hanging off the end
When i get the urge to show off, a tiny voice inside my head says "resist the urge". So i shut my mouth and stand still.

Quote:

i am interested to know why this bothers you enough to start a thread about it? i don't understand why anyone would question why another dis'er posts or asks whatever it is they post about.
look ......now i'm doing it.
Old 01-23-2013, 10:09 PM   #15
Belle0101
New Rule:
The first person to reply on any thread needs to quote the OP. That way when someone does the delete of nevermind edit we know what was there.

Quote:
(BBM)
That would be my doctor's office.

It goes like this: Call the office, get a recording to wait for the next available receptionist, receptionist answers and transfers you to the nurse's voice mail where you leave your message. (There are 4 doctors and 1 nurse.) If you call before noon the nurse will call you back in the afternoon. Calling in the afternoon means your call will get returned the next business day.

But it doesn't really matter because the response is always, "Doctor would like to see you. S/He has an open appointment on ____." It's usually 2 or more days out.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: