Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-23-2013, 05:28 PM   #1
chrisrunty
DIS Veteran

Any key west experts? I need help...

We are sailing to Key West with a four-year-old in April most of Disney water / swim excursions are five and older. We were hoping to visit a beach or if there is a resort that offers day passes to swim in their pool. Any help or advice here?
chrisrunty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 05:41 PM   #2
kalc12345
DIS Veteran

Back in November we went to WDW then drove down to Key West for a couple of days.

I would recommend going to Fort Zachary Taylor beach. It is nice there. They also have a snack bar and restrooms/showers. We saw the biggest iguanas there. My kids loved that!!

kalc12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-23-2013, 05:59 PM   #3
melaniejh1016
Mouseketeer

Key west isn't really known for their beaches more for the night life and bars. But we have stayed at the Waldorf casa marina and thy have a nice pool and are right on the beach. Honestly I don't think anyone ever stopped to ask us if we were actually staying there.
melaniejh1016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 06:52 PM   #4
nuts4mickey3410
Earning My Ears

There's a place called Dante's that is a pool with a bar and food. You can relax let the kids swim its free as long as you order food and drinks. Nice place with music
nuts4mickey3410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 08:29 PM   #5
chrisrunty
DIS Veteran

Thanks everyone Dante's with the pool sounds pretty cool! I'm not sure with a four-year-old?
Old 01-23-2013, 08:57 PM   #6
Funfire240
DIS Veteran

There is a beach on the opposite side of the island from where the cruise ships dock - Smathers (island is only 2 miles by 4 miles so it's not far) but I really can't say how it would be for a child. We stay in Marathon and go to the beaches around there so when we're in Key West with our kids it's mainly to eat or attend the sunset festivities at Mallory Square.

Funfire240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 07:05 AM   #7
kalc12345
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funfire240 View Post
There is a beach on the opposite side of the island from where the cruise ships dock - Smathers (island is only 2 miles by 4 miles so it's not far) but I really can't say how it would be for a child. We stay in Marathon and go to the beaches around there so when we're in Key West with our kids it's mainly to eat or attend the sunset festivities at Mallory Square.
Smather's Beach is probably the nicest beach in Key West. When we were there in November our condo was right by Smather's. It is a nice sandy beach, no rocks, but it is small. It is a good ways from the port too. Fort Zachary Taylor is closer to the port but it is rocky so I would bring some sort of shoes. But it is a really beautiful beach! We enjoyed walking around there and looking at the fort.

Key West does not have the best beaches they are rocky. Marathon is much better!

Old 01-24-2013, 07:12 AM   #8
kalc12345
DIS Veteran

Here is a picture of Smather's Beach

[IMG] Smather's Beach by Captured by Amy, on Flickr[/IMG]

Old 01-24-2013, 07:59 AM   #9
luvavacation
DIS Veteran

I know you asked for a beach in Key West, but if I may make a suggestion, since you are with a little one, try the Butterfly Conservatory!

It is near the Southernmost Point, and though my family and I walked there from the port, it may be too far for a 4 year old. You can find various modes of transport to get to the butterflies, though.

My family and I thought it was the best butterfly exhibit we have ever been to, and we try to visit every butterfly place whereever we go. My 22 and 17 year old loved it, and I am sure a 4 year old would, too (so long as your child isn't frightened by butterflies).

Very, very close to the Conservatory is a small beach, I can't remember the name, it might be called Southernmost Beach? Very calm, no waves when we were there, and there was a restaurant and bathroom right at the beach for convenience.

Just a thought!
luvavacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 10:53 AM   #10
chrisrunty
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalc12345 View Post
Here is a picture of Smather's Beach

[IMG] Smather's Beach by Captured by Amy, on Flickr[/IMG]
Thanks soooo much for the pic! We have such a short time at Key West like 7:30 am to 12:30 pm (5hours).... I was hoping to visit a beach and walk around a bit and visit the butterflies. But I think I'm trying to do too much....
Old 01-24-2013, 12:29 PM   #11
policycobb
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvavacation View Post
I know you asked for a beach in Key West, but if I may make a suggestion, since you are with a little one, try the Butterfly Conservatory!

It is near the Southernmost Point, and though my family and I walked there from the port, it may be too far for a 4 year old. You can find various modes of transport to get to the butterflies, though.

My family and I thought it was the best butterfly exhibit we have ever been to, and we try to visit every butterfly place whereever we go. My 22 and 17 year old loved it, and I am sure a 4 year old would, too (so long as your child isn't frightened by butterflies).

Very, very close to the Conservatory is a small beach, I can't remember the name, it might be called Southernmost Beach? Very calm, no waves when we were there, and there was a restaurant and bathroom right at the beach for convenience.

Just a thought!
I second the Butterfly Conservatory. My DD was five when we went and she really enjoyed it. There was a shaved ice stand close by too which had some unique flavors.

policycobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 06:22 PM   #12
mydisneyanytime
Earning My Ears

Key west is awesome and easily one of my favorite places to visit (besides Disney, of course). The butterfly conservatory is really neat. They also have a small aquarium and a few museums. I like the key west museum (can't remember the name - has art and the history of key west). But...one of my favorite things to do is just walk around the island. I would also suggest riding the conch train around the island. My daughter (age 3) liked it and it gave a great history of the island. I don't think that you can go wrong there. I will second the fact that the beaches aren't what you might expect but neat to walk around just the same.
mydisneyanytime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 08:42 PM   #13
Funfire240
DIS Veteran

the trolley is a nice option too because you can always get off to check something out then get back on when another comes by.

Funfire240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 06:09 AM   #14
TheWalsh
Earning My Ears

My family and I went and visited Lester's key lime shop. Yes it is a big tourist trap, but we enjoyed it. The place has A/C, great for Florida summer, and lots of free samples. (The key lime chips and salsa a amazing). But the best is the frozen, chocolate dipped key lime pie on a stick. But you won't be able to bring your food home with you due to Disney customs rules.
TheWalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 06:39 AM   #15
4redheads
Earning My Ears

Just walking around looking for chickens entertained my kids. It is still the US so it is a good time too stroll.
4redheads is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: