Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California) > Disneyland Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-09-2013, 05:49 AM   #1
Freesia123
DIS Veteran

Gac etiquette

I could post this in the disabilities area but I'd like more of a general opinion. First, I don't want this to be a discussion on people abusing the system or not really needing a card. I know it happens but lets pretend that it doesn't. So here's my question:

Last we were there, I was with my dad who broke his neck in the line of duty as a police officer many years ago. His is also in remission from brain cancer which left his balance at an absolute zero. He fell and rebroke his neck although he can still walk. So he's in an ECV, and he has a GAC because waiting with others puts him at an increased risk for being bumped and falling. He needs assistance. Also, he doesn't last more than three hours a day at a park.

Anyways, we always got dirty looks, especially in FL, where we tended to not wait very long to get on the rides. Dad usually goes in the exit where there are fewer people and the CM lets us on. its not us who asks to not wait. So Why the dirty looks? Is it because people donr understand how it works and why? What would you change about the system ? What could we do to make them stop?
Freesia123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 07:15 AM   #2
lana772
Disneyland Lover

You are opening a can of worms here. It is close to impossible to discuss this topic here without someone getting upset.

Here is my 2 cents. We have witnessed this scene many times when it was obvious the disability and people still got mad.

Sadly the dirty looks are probably from people who are impatient. They are so busy trying to cram as much as possible into their own vacation that they could care less WHY someone is going before them. They are just bothered that anyone gets to go before them.

My advice: Enjoy your vacation and don't worry about others who are not enjoying theirs. There is nothing you can do to make some people happy.

I will add. I have never been in a group using a GAC, and I do know people personally that abuse it and joke about it. I still give people the benefit of the doubt, because I don't want to be that angry person giving dirty looks to a struggling child or someone that was injured protecting and serving our country (as a police officer or any other capacity). My thanks to those who have served.

Last edited by lana772; 05-09-2013 at 01:07 PM.
lana772 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-09-2013, 07:23 AM   #3
jo_de_vil
Mouseketeer

Unfortunately nothing. People with out medical degrees and not knowing what is wrong with someone, prejudge them as frauds because of a very small number that abuse the system. They stand in the Florida heat and wish that they could jump the queue! It is idiotic that they are really wishing some one in there party could get a GAC! I personally would not wish that on anyone I know. They are at the happiest place on Earth and they waste their time and energy giving someone dirty looks for getting on a ride quicker than them. You don't need to justify to anybody why you have been given a GAC just try to enjoy the time you can together and ignore them.
jo_de_vil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 09:20 AM   #4
Pinup Mommy
Making everyday a Dapper Day!!

You have to learn to ignore these people, you will good mad otherwise.

Enjoy your trip :-)

DL local since 1980 ~ WDW 1986 ~ WDW 2000 Disney Contempary ~ WDW 2005 Disney Polynesian ~ AP holder since 2009 ~ DL's MNSSHP 2011&2012 ~ DCL Wonder 2012 Halloween Cruise

Pinup Mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 01:05 PM   #5
larina
DIS Veteran

I agree with the PPs you will make yourself crazy worrying about others if you let yourself. Don't do it. Enjoy your time together.
larina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 01:40 PM   #6
gunka
DIS Veteran

I know you said you didn't want to make this a debate about abusing the system, but my guess that is the reason you get the dirty looks. Unfortunately, so many people abuse the system that people have becomes skeptical and that's a shame.

Like PP have said, ignore them, don't worry about them, and have a great time with your Dad - he deserves it.
Old 05-09-2013, 02:45 PM   #7
pixiewings71
Sweet!!! Totally!!!!!
YAY for good weather!
It's that Disney Magic, I don't know how it works but it does!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jo_de_vil View Post
Unfortunately nothing. People with out medical degrees and not knowing what is wrong with someone, prejudge them as frauds because of a very small number that abuse the system. They stand in the Florida heat and wish that they could jump the queue! It is idiotic that they are really wishing some one in there party could get a GAC! I personally would not wish that on anyone I know. They are at the happiest place on Earth and they waste their time and energy giving someone dirty looks for getting on a ride quicker than them. You don't need to justify to anybody why you have been given a GAC just try to enjoy the time you can together and ignore them.
I don't pre-judge anyone or begrudge anyone for needing to use a GAC, there are many hidden disabilities and I know that you can't always tell from just looking at a person. I don't have a medical degree, what I have is basic respect for my fellow man so I don't jump to conclusions.

OP I wouldn't worry or dwell on the looks you get, as the PP I quoted said people will make assumptions based on what they see and not reality is. My Grandma broke her neck when she fell down her stairs, she walked around for a week after until my Mom and Aunt made her go see a Dr. Just go and have fun.

We took 14 trips from July 07-July 08 and around 16 from Jan 09-Jan 10. We did 5 trips 2011-2012. 2012-2013 4 trips.

eBay and pins http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2213419
pixiewings71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 05:24 PM   #8
Freesia123
DIS Veteran

It's more the dirty looks we get when my dad obviously has something wrong. He is visibly frail. Is society just getting too impatient ? Lack of respect?
Freesia123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 07:17 PM   #9
lalasmama
DIS Veteran

There's going to be dirty looks no matter what, I think... A lot of people would rather be judgemental than find out the facts. And, to be honest, some people are likely curious about why you are in an "restricted" area, and why you are moving

I have MS, which is one of those "invisable" disabilities. I only use the GAC to avoid stairs, and I get the looks.

I've asked SO to start wearing his ankle brace and fatigues to maybe cut down on the nasty looks...
Next trip: February 2015!
lalasmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 09:38 PM   #10
lana772
Disneyland Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freesia123
It's more the dirty looks we get when my dad obviously has something wrong. He is visibly frail. Is society just getting too impatient ? Lack of respect?
Unfortunately "lack of respect" is becoming the norm.
lana772 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: