Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-24-2013, 08:17 AM   #16
Kae
DIS Veteran

Try the WL we stayed there after our Poly Stay & loved it. We have stayed there twice.

Kae
Oct 1999-POFQ May 1996-AS Music May 1994-Travel Lodge DTD Dec 1971-Contemporary
DisneyLand-March 2006
Kae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 08:54 AM   #17
polyfor4
Mouseketeer

You might have the bug! As long as we can get a discount for the Poly our family decided we'd stay there even if we have to do a split stay or shorter days. We enjoy being at the Poly as much as the park so it's hard to imagine being somewhere else. We even looked at the YC which has a fantastic pool, great location and beautiful theming but its no Polynesian- you just can't compare the two. Maybe think about doing a split stay, we stay at Pop our drive in night and it alone saves us $300. This year we're trying Poly CL instead of DDP and that might save us money too.

May 2014 BWI/ Poly CL
May 2013 AoA/ Poly CL Nov 2013 Pop
Sept 2012 AoA May 2012 Pop/ Poly Feb 2012 POR
May 2011 Pop/ Poly April 2011 CSR
Dec 2010 POR May 2010 POR
Dec 2009 CBR May 2009 Poly March 2009 POR

polyfor4 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-24-2013, 08:55 AM   #18
Masonmj84
DIS Veteran

I totally understand where you're coming from.

We did our first on-site stay at CSR then recently did a split stay at Poly and BC. Even though we really liked CSR, it's hard to go back after being spoiled by deluxe (particularly, the convenience of the deluxe resorts' locations).

While we liked the BC (and agree that being a 5 minute walk from Epcot is really special), if I had to stay at one resort for the whole trip and had to choose between the Poly and BC, I'd pick the Poly.

In my view, the Poly has the following advantages over BC:

(1) Better theming (this is subjective of course, but we like the theming better at Poly).

(2) Better grounds.

(3) Monorail to the two parks we spend the most time at means fewer overall bus rides (assuming the Monorails are running, which, unfortuately, is never a sure bet these days).

(4) More relaxed overall feel. BC is, by far, the most chaotic resort we've stayed at and I thought that tended to make guests, on average, pushier and ruder (particularly, BC Marketplace in the morning).

(5) Somewhat larger rooms (we had a double stroller and didn't have to fold it at the Poly but did need to fold it at BC).

(6) Pool and waterslide. I actually like the Volcano Pool a bit better than SAB, which was just too huge (but we were there during a realtively non-crowded time). I definately like the Volcano Pool slide better (too much of a walk at SAB).

(7) Wishes on the beach.

But BC does have a number of advantages:

(1) Being able to walk to two parks (especially nice after Illuminations. Also nice, if you have hoppers, to walk around World Showcase in the evenings).

(2) Boardwalk area is fun and is also an easy walk.

(3) Beds have duvets instead of bedspreads (although Poly is supposed to be getting these in the refurb).

(4) Pool area has hot tubs (although Poly is supposed to be getting one soon).

(5) Within walking distance of a ton of restaurants.

(6) Less expensive than Poly.

Overall, I think doing a split at Poly (or another MK resort) and an EP resort is the best of both worlds, but if I do it again, I may pick Boardwalk Inn for my EP resort (seems less chaotic than BC and was surprised to not be too freaked out by the clown pool when we walked by it on our last trip).

All that being said, my next split may be WL/AKL, as I love the theming of both these resorts (even though it pains me to give up the convenience of the Monorail resort/EP resort split).
Old 01-24-2013, 09:10 AM   #19
DisneyJanFeb2008
Mouseketeer

Spot on assessment!!! This is why I don't think we'll enjoy BC as much as my DH thinks (our kids are ages 7, 4 and 2). Poly would be an additional $799 - should we do it or not??? Also worried about volcano pool rehab???? Haven't read anything official?! We are going next month - Feb 20-27

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeynut1 View Post
We don't have little ones, but we've stayed at both the Poly and BC and while we did love our BC stay, the Poly is our favorite resort for many reasons. With little ones and spending the majority of your time at MK, I vote for the Poly. The one negative (to us) about the Epcot resorts is the lack of CS options. Also, while it's great being within walking distance to both Epcot and DHS, the bus transportation (IMO) is hit or miss. During our BC stay, the buses shared with all 5 resorts (and we were there during a pretty busy time) and while we didn't mind the waiting for a bus, they were always so very crowded with standing room only. With all of that said, the BC/YC/BWI are all beautiful resorts, but if we had little ones and most of our time was going to be spent at MK, I would spend the extra and stay at the Poly and save the Epcot resorts for when the kids are older. Good luck.
Old 01-24-2013, 09:12 AM   #20
jemmouse
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lililoo12 View Post
I didn't have to walk long hallways as my cl room was right near the elevator and even if it wasn't I rather be in an interior Hall with air conditioning than outside baking just to get to my room. We don't eat qs because we stay cl so that is not an issue. We eat ts lunch and ts dinner after appetizers. Sab is amazing and much bigger than polys pool. Another thing I
Like about yc BC and BWI is that they don't have those nasty bedspreads. I like the clean white spreads they use that are actually cleaned
I stayed in a water view room, not CL, so that might be the difference of your room being directly by the elevator. I do know that MY walk was long.

It doesn't bother me to walk outside to my room, I walk outside the entire day being at the parks, whats an additional 5-10 minutes being outdoors?
Plus usually when we visit WDW it is cold in our home state, I the warmth on my skin..

It seems you are comparing CL to every detail of your review. The OP didn't say they were staying CL she was saying what is available at the other resorts for her time of stay.

Regarding the food, I personally for my family like having for example a Captains Cook at my disposal. This is something to STRONGLY consider when staying at YC/BC. If it doesn't effect your stay, then no worries

Personally I will agree with you I like the crisp look better than the darker colors in POLY, BUT on the flip side, I would NEVER sleep with or keep that bedspread on my bed anywhere. When I enter a hotel room, one of the very first things I do is fold the bedspread and put it away for the remainder of my vacation. Some nasty germs can be on those. And I also call for fresh linens..Just something I have learned from having a DH who travels for work, heard to many stories....

All in all they are both very nice resorts, just have different theming, and different amenities. Perhaps if they put the BC in POLYS location it would be the one of choice, who knows. I do agree it really does help when picking a resort for location, location,location...

What about a split stay????

Good luck!

Honestly, they are all beautiful resorts, just different. Maybe take a family vote, show pictures, go to You Tube and watch some videos...
Old 01-24-2013, 10:02 AM   #21
ExpatDisneyLover
DIS Veteran

I don't think you are crazy - the Poly is very convenient to MK! If you are wanting to save money - I think I might go for the WL - you would be in the same area with a short boat ride to MK. The rooms wouldn't be as big as the rooms at the Poly but you would still have deluxe resort amenities and a great ambiance.

Have a great trip whatever you choose!

1984 DL * 1986 WDW * 1994 Euro Disney * 1996 WDW * 2009 WDW POR * March 2010 DLRP Santa Fe * June 2010 DLRP Magic Circus * November 2010 DLRP Magic Circus * February 2011 DLRP Dream Castle * May 2011 WDW Sheraton Vistana / Hilton Bonnet Creek * September 2011 WDW Night of Joy Hilton DTD * March 2012 WDW Pop * April 2012 WDW AKL * May 2012 WDW SSR *

POR 2009 Trip Report http://www.disboards.com/showthread....ching+t+shirts
DLRP Trip Reports
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2419270
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2476348
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....rd+trip+report
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....le+trip+report
ExpatDisneyLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 12:15 PM   #22
FantasiaMagic
DIS Veteran

Wow, thats a hard choice. The BC and the POLY are both amazing and both locations are great.
Would you maybe do a split stay with just say POLY and mod?

Or what about WL - it is in the MK resort area, and has a boat that goes to MK. You could also take the boat to CR and use the monorail from there. I think this is prob your bet choice if saving money is very important to you and if you want to be close to MK. WL is the cheapest of Deluxes and is a beautiful resort.

Good Luck!

-FantasiaMagic
Old 01-25-2013, 08:26 AM   #23
nwbearcat
Earning My Ears

Thanks so much for all the replies! It has been interesting to read various opinions.

To fill you in a bit, BC/YC only has deluxe club level available on my dates so that is quite a bit more expensive than the standard room at the poly.

BWI has standard room which is cheaper, and standard CL which is about 400 dollars more than the poly standard room.

WL proximity is quite appealing as is its price, (about 1200 cheaper) but I have read mixed reviews on transportation issues. We have eaten at the resort, and it is really beautiful. However, of all the places mentioned the theme is the least appealing to my family unless we were travelling to FL in the winter. We are more beach/island/southern feel.

It is totally a known vs. unknown issue. I know I didn't come home relaxed after my first two trips to wdw. Before our trip to the poly I was majorly stressed about the cost. After our vacation, I felt it was worth every penny.

However, this year its even more expensive! I realize a disney vacation is a luxury expense regardless. But what is luxury and what is excessive. I suppose to each his own.

Is spending $4,000 such a great deal if I don't walk away from the trip happy? Or should I spend $5,000 and stay at a resort I know my entire family loved. Hence my dilemma.

We had such a great time at the poly last year vs. our first two disney trips it makes it hard to venture out somewhere new. Many of you have described exactly what made the poly so special in your posts above!

For us, first and foremost was the transportation options! It was so easy with the resort monorail and short walk to the TTC. Moving around disneyworld was so easy!

Second was even when we were hanging out at the hotel we felt connected to MK. Maybe because the castle was physically off in the distance. Maybe it was because we could be there in 5 minutes any time we wanted. It was awesome to watch wishes sitting on the beach relaxing with my wife and kids. When it was over, walking steps to our room was so much better than fighting the crowds at the park.

Third, almost all of our meals were either at MK, E, or one of the monorail resorts. Getting to those from one of the moderate hotels can be a pain and very time consuming, but at the poly it was a breeze.

In summary the convieniences allowed more time for...... doing nothing! Hanging out by the pool, watching my girls in a hoola hoop contest, watching them make friends and have fun.

I would love to do a split stay both to save money and experience other places. but my DW doesn't like the idea of unpacking only to pack again, move then unpack a second time. Obviously that makes it hard to test the waters on a new place without jumping in with both feet.

I really like the theme of the FQ and POR but I just don't know if I can handle the buses for the week. If I could, it would save us about 2k on the trip. Obviously that is a great deal of money, but not worth the saving if we don't have a great vacation! Not sure if I will change resorts, but its nice to hear I am not the only one who thinks the poly is pretty spectacular. Thanks for all the feedback!
nwbearcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 09:10 AM   #24
Mamato3Princes
Adventure is out there!

Last Feb we did a Contemporary MK view/BWV split stay. My little ones LOVED the "monorail hotel". They like BWV, but they loved CR so much more...so I understand where you're coming from. On the other hand, DH and I loved BWV. Being walking distance from Epcot and DHS was awesome. And we loved all the boardwalk entertainers at night. The Poly is such a beautiful resort and the monorail is great if you spend most of your time at MK. But if you had to choose BWI, you'd love that, too. I know the split stay can seem like a headache, but it wasn't for us. And it was a great way to experience both areas. Either way, I know you'll have fun .

Feb 4-9, 2012@CRMKView//Feb 9-14, 2012@BWV! Our sons' 1st trip! May 28-June 1, 2012@POR! Aug 26-29, 2012@OKW! Oct 27-28, 2012@CSR! Dec 7-9, 2012@POR!
Jan 28-Feb 1, 2013@AKV! Mar 9-12, 2014 @POR! Baby girl's 1st trip! Mar 15-19, 2014 @BC!
Next trip is May 19th-25th! Staying in a 2 bedroom Savanna view at Kidani! And then switching to Boardwalk Inn!

Mamato3Princes is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: