Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-23-2013, 04:04 PM   #1
jemmouse
DIS Veteran

Toothache BUT no cavity

My upper tooth don't know exact number has been hurting. This has been on and off for a few months. On my last cleaning, 3 months ago, they said no cavity, and then they put a sealant on it. He said if it persists they could do a root canal. Now I don't know about you but I don't like root canals for an "if" but if any of you have had success with something like this please pass your knowledge on.

I do have recurring sinus infections and this isn't from it. It also bothers me like a tiny zing when I drink cold, which does equate to cavity...Oh and I am an ice chewer, I did quit for a while and started back up. I can diet easier then give up my ice but as of today NO MORE ICE CHEWING!!!

ANy advice or tips you could offer I would so appreciate....

I have yet to call the dentist, I am giving it until tomorrow.....
Old 01-23-2013, 04:12 PM   #2
marcyinPA
I'll never forget the strong, pungent smell of Noxema!
I was such a fashion disaster!!

Do you have toothbrush abbrasion at your gumline? This could cause sensitvity. If you are sure you don't have cavity, why don't you try Sensodyne for a while to see if it helps. I go through periods of sensitivity and I use it,...works pretty well.
6/08- We're Cruisin' (NCL
Spirit) for my BIG 4-0!,
6/09- WL (celebrating my birthday with Mickey!)
,2/11- POP
marcyinPA is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-23-2013, 04:13 PM   #3
RitaZ.
Move on don't hesitate
Breakout

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemmouse View Post
My upper tooth don't know exact number has been hurting. This has been on and off for a few months. On my last cleaning, 3 months ago, they said no cavity, and then they put a sealant on it. He said if it persists they could do a root canal. Now I don't know about you but I don't like root canals for an "if" but if any of you have had success with something like this please pass your knowledge on.

I do have recurring sinus infections and this isn't from it. It also bothers me like a tiny zing when I drink cold, which does equate to cavity...Oh and I am an ice chewer, I did quit for a while and started back up. I can diet easier then give up my ice but as of today NO MORE ICE CHEWING!!!

Maybe the ice chewing caused a small crack in the tooth. Just a thought.
RitaZ. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 04:15 PM   #4
LuLuO
I am against mandatory fun

Have you had your iron levels checked? People who chew ice (me) tend to be anemic or on the low end of normal. Something to get checked.

As for the tooth pain, do you use a toothpaste made for sensitive teeth? Sensodyne is what I use and it helps tremendously.
"When I was a boy and I would see scary things in the news, my mother would say, 'Look for the helpers. You will always find people who are helping.' To this day, especially in times of disaster, I remember my mother’s words, and I am always comforted by realizing that there are still so many helpers–so many caring people in this world." - Fred Rogers
LuLuO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 04:16 PM   #5
Christine
Would love to be able to sit on the couch for a few days, get a good book, and do NOTHING!
Considers the DIS as Bladder Training 101

I had a similar issue in one tooth. I was experiencing extreme sensitivity and some problems with pressure. I have no cavity either. They even did a more focused x-ray to look at the nerve and the root canal was also discussed.

The one thing they did did is "paint" on a high dose flouride of some sort all over the tooth (a sealant only does the top surface). They told me that it filled in all the porous parts of the tooth. It takes about 3 weeks to kick in after they do it. I was suspicious but it worked. They told me that it only lasts about 9 months and they have to do it again. But it has lasted almost 18 months now.

Vacation Home - Indian Creek - July 2012
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - July 2009
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - Easter 2007
Shades of Green - June 2005
Vistana Resort - May 01
Shades of Green - May 99
Shades of Green - Apr 97
CBR & Shades of Green - May 95
Christine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 04:25 PM   #6
jemmouse
DIS Veteran

I already use Sensodyne, wish that was the answer

I think a crack might be, what do they do? Is a root canal needed for that???

Tell me more about the fluoride?

Never have I had that just the sealant that smells like acrylic nail stuff, YUCK!

But if it helps I am down with that....

I swear if its not one thing its something else, lucky me
Old 01-23-2013, 04:36 PM   #7
powellrj
I am wide awake and on the dis boards
My db and I usually fight over the turkey bones
It was so bad, it was funny
Note to self, never make anyone suffer with thirst

When I read your title, my first thought was its your sinuses. I went through the same thing a few years ago. My teeth would just ache. I would go to the dentist, he would take x-rays and tell me there was nothing there. He would send me out with $10 sensitive toothpaste and a few weeks later I would be better only to have the samething happen a couple of months later.

Fast forward last year. My mouth was throbbing and I had a huge golf ball sized knot on my jaw. I really didn't have anything that would make me think sinus infection, but my ears hurt. We were leaving on vacation in a few days so I went to the med check since the dentist office was closed. She told me I had a wicked sinus infection that was causing the tooth pain, the knot and the sore ears. I had a steroid shot, an antibiotic shot and was on both steroids and antibiotics. Sure enough, the pain went away and hasn't been back. I was fighting this every few months and nobody ever suggested my sinuses and once I kicked it, I haven't had a problem.

powellrj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 05:15 PM   #8
DisFam11
Mouseketeer

I have had toothaches without related cavities twice in the past 10 years and I went to the chiropractor both times and had my neck adjusted. Worked both times. I know some people will think this is a crazy suggestion but it worked and is much cheaper and less painful than a root canal. Good luck!
DisFam11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 05:28 PM   #9
disneymarie
Its a rumour about the donuts...
Can we play Nancy Drew?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemmouse View Post

You may have a low lying sinus infection. My sister struggled for months with a tooth , everything including root canal and it ended up she needed a sulfur type medication to rid the infection.
Have a sinus X-ray, and cat scan if need be. That was how mine was found. A sinus infection can cause the asthma it escalate and pulmonary doc did the sinus cat scan finding it. I suffered for almost two years with it.
Old 01-23-2013, 06:10 PM   #10
ILUVALASKA
DIS Veteran

I suffered with pain for a month in my jaw, ear and eventually my entire face due to a bad nerve in a molar. I had a root canal and felt fabulous right after. They aren't that bad anymore.

me:DHDS

CMU Tartan Family
ILUVALASKA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 06:19 PM   #11
7165red
DIS Veteran

When the tooth reacts to cold it is usually the nerve reacting. I have been through it and ended up with a root canal. Thepain did stop.
7165red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 06:26 PM   #12
trishwal
Convince me to take our family to Disneyland.

Funny to give dental advice on a Disney board but..here goes

Cold sensitivity that is a "zing" in my experience is usually coming from the area where the tooth meets the gumline. You can have just a fraction of a millimeter of gum recession and not know it, and it's most common on the outsides of teeth versus along the inner side next to the roof of your mouth and your tongue.

What causes the recession is either the way your teeth hit (misalignment) or parafunction (using your teeth in ways they're not supposed to be used, like clenching or grinding, or chewing on ice), and occasionally from gums that receded due to infection (periodontal disease).

The treatments that have been suggested are very similar to those I recommend every single day as a hygienist because this is the most common problem I see. Look for a toothpaste that has Potassium Nitrate as an active ingredient (that's what's in Sensodyne and all the other "Sensitive" toothpastes that make them cost a bit more). There is a sealant that can be placed specifically along the area if you can have your dental professional blow air and pinpoint the spot that is cold sensitive that works very well and doesn't taste bad (it's called Ultradent Dentinal Sealant if that info is of any use).

I personally can't tolerate sweets in one area of my mouth and SWEAR there's a cavity, but this stuff takes care of it for months at a time, if that gives me any human credibility
2007 - 7 day Disney World with DS-10 and DD-6
2012 - 2 Days onsite at Universal and 3 Days Disney at Bonnet Creek DS-15, DD-11
2014 - 13 of us (parents, siblings, and all our kids) 4-Day WDW staying in a 7 BR Emerald Island villa
trishwal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 06:37 PM   #13
DisneyLvr55
The thing swooped down, hit me in the face with its wing, scooped up my dog, and flew away

My DH thought he had a cavity a while back (never had one, and hes 38!). They did an x-ray and it ended up being a sinus infection. I don't know if you've done an x-ray, but its worth looking into.
Old 01-23-2013, 07:20 PM   #14
wgeo
That's the kind of day where you can't open your mouth without a song jumping right out of it!

One of the first signs that my cold isn't going away and has in fact turned into a sinus infection is the tooth ache feeling and even sensitivity.

However, I did also once have the zinging issue and it needed a root canal.

So, sorry OP I don't imaging either choice is all that exciting, hope you are able to figure out what the problem is.

DH me DS 10 DD 9

WDW Trips: 1982, 1987, 1994, 2011, 2012, 2014
Disney Magic: 2014
wgeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 07:22 PM   #15
Agri
DIS Veteran

I went through something similar and since it was a back molar no one would see, I just got it yanked. For reasons no one really knows, sometimes teeth just start to 'die' - the nerve acts up and generally causes a lot of pain. A root canal will get rid of the nerve and take care of the pain. If it's just one tooth, I'd think that this is the most likely scenario.

However, keep in mind a root canal also makes the tooth weak, so you might want to bring that up if you take that route - especially as an ice chewer.
Agri is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: