Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-23-2013, 03:07 PM   #1
disbridebailey
Earning My Ears

Disney cruise for adults?

My hubs and I are celebrating our one year anniversary since the big Disney Fairytale wedding! Cannot believe that! We would like to do the Disney cruise, of course but are worried it will be mostly youngsters! Input please!
Disney Planning Session: Sept 1-9, 2011
Disney Christmas Vacation: December 26, 2011 - Jan 2, 2012
Our Fairytale Disney Wedding: April 1-10, 2012
Married at Disney: April 5, 2012

Our Disney Anniversary Cruise May 11-18, 2013
Disney trip: May 9-21, 2013
Pre-Trip Planning Thread
disbridebailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 03:14 PM   #2
kcashner
DIS Veteran

OK, personal opinion--I wish that DCL did a better job of keeping kids out of adult areas. However...there are "adult only" areas on all ships. They are strictly enforced in the adult only restaurants, seriously/basically enforced in the nightclub areas at night, and minimally enforced on the pool decks where the areas serve largely as a walk thru for children and families. The CMs do remove children from the adult only pool when it is reported to them.

So that said, if your goal is to never see a kid, DCL is not for you. If your approach is an "isn't he cute" and move on to adult areas/activities you'll be fine. My one tip would be to avoid any cruise with a "Kids Sail Free" special. Those can be wicked!

Probably 95% or more of the kids on the ship are well behaved and no problem at all. As with most things in life, the issues come from that small percentage of kids who were never taught appropriate behavior and/or parents who do not appreciate that THEY are still responsible for their child's behavior and parenting doesn't stop just because they are on vacation.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-23-2013, 03:20 PM   #3
cruisindisney2007
Earning My Ears

We are cruising Fantasy in April; no kids with us this time. Cannot wait.
cruisindisney2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 03:24 PM   #4
Jareds_mommy
DIS Veteran

there is lots to do for adult only, our kids basicly bailed on us and wanted to stay at the clubs, we made do
this time one is old enough for the edge so i am guessing if I can make myself give him the freedom we will see even less of them.

Jareds_mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 03:28 PM   #5
gumbypee
DIS Veteran

You will always see kids in any cruise- it's rather easy to avoid them by doing adult activities. I went as a single adult, loves disney, and had an awesome time
gumbypee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 03:28 PM   #6
abdgeek
DIS Veteran

I'm an adult who loves Disney and travels solo. I've done four DCL cruises thus far and am doing two more this year. I never worry about there being kids on the ship. Yes, they are there but they are usually with their parents or in the kids club. Most of the activities I do on the ship, except going to the movies and posing with characters, really don't have many if any kids at them(tastings, cooking demos, etc.). As adults, you will be seated at dinner with other adults. Enjoy DCL and don't worry about the kids. You actually won't see a lot of them(except at the pool deck and dinner).
abdgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 03:29 PM   #7
gumbypee
DIS Veteran

Abdgeek, we are both single adult disney lovers! Woohoo
gumbypee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 03:32 PM   #8
Meghatron
DIS Veteran

We did seven nights without kids on the Wonder for our honeymoon and loved every minute of it. Dining manager seated us with two other childless couples, we booked a room at the same end of the ship as the spa/adult pool/bars, etc, so we never had to wait too long for an elevator to what we wanted. It was fantastic. :D
Meghatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 03:38 PM   #9
MagicFan75
Mouseketeer

Hi! We celebrated our honeymoon and our three-year anniversary by sailing with Disney. Since then, we've had a couple of kids and have continued to sail on Disney. Now, in addition to great family fun time, we still get to enjoy our adult time when the kids are otherwise occupied in the kids clubs by going to Palo, the spa, the adult pool and hot tubs, etc.

Have fun!!

MagicFan75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 03:38 PM   #10
kalc12345
DIS Veteran

We are going without our kids in about a month. We will be celebrating our anniversary. We are looking forward to doing the adult things on the ship. Our kids don't do the clubs so we have not been able to experience that part.

kalc12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 03:44 PM   #11
riofriotex
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by disbridebailey View Post
My hubs and I are celebrating our one year anniversary since the big Disney Fairytale wedding! Cannot believe that! We would like to do the Disney cruise, of course but are worried it will be mostly youngsters! Input please!
It sounds like you are a big Disney fan, so I think you will be fine. We just got off the Magic January 4 cruise. My husband in particular felt there wasn't as much for adults to do on the cruise as on other cruise lines. We also found the dining rooms to be extremely noisy, even with second seating. But, we cruise mostly for the ports (the reason I picked this Disney cruise - supposed to be 4 ports, 2 that we hadn't been to before, although we missed one), and spend a lot of time on our verandah anyway, so we were OK. I'd do a Disney cruise again if it was going where I wanted to go, departing from where I prefer (Galveston or Houston) and when I can go (I am limited mostly to early January).
riofriotex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 03:49 PM   #12
allears
"If I were not upon the sea..." I want to already have another cruise booked!

I have cruised a few times without my kids and going again next month. I am a huge Disney fan, love the cruise product and have always had a fantastic time!

Disney Wonder 2000, Disney Magic, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2012, Disney Fantasy 2013 & 2014

allears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 04:01 PM   #13
ChloroFiend
DIS Veteran

DW & I (both late 20s/early 30s) are DINKs and sailed on the inaugural cruise out of Galveston. We had no issues doing our own adult thing; we never felt out enjoyment of the cruise was impacted by any random kids we encountered. By and large, those we did see were well behaved.

We did do some "all ages" activities (namely trivia stuff), but expected to see munchkins about there. No issues with children in the adult pool or the various clubs/bars/lounges. Our table in the MDR (late dining) was populated by 2 other adult couples travelling without kids as well as a mother and her adult daughter. We had a great time with them each night.
ChloroFiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 04:05 PM   #14
clten
DIS Veteran

30 DCL cruises and have never sailed with kids.

I think with having such good kids programming, most of the kids are involved in that so there's never too many around. (I will agree that the pool decks are poorly designed and you can have a constant parade of kids/families with kids through there. And some cruises are worse than others with kids being in the adult only area.)

I do think there are a lot of activities for adults to participate in (although after 30 cruises some variety would be nice). For Disney fans of any age, the stage shows and game shows are a lot of fun. You also have nightclubs/caberet performers, bingo, cooking classes, various tastings and other activities to be as busy or relaxed as you want.

DCL also does a good job of matching you up with tablemates. If you are traveling without kids, they do try to put you at a table without kids. We've made a lot of friends that we are still in contact with just because DCL sat us at the same table. It's fun to do things together or just run into each other around the ship.

So I say, go for it and experience a Disney cruise. (But as someone said, do try to avoid the Kids Sail Free dates!)
clten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 04:09 PM   #15
Yvet
♫ She is a dancing queen ♪ One of the Netherpeople
Has quite a unique FE

I have never done any other cruise the with DCL and i don't feel DCL is loaded with kids but i can't compare....

From what i have heard from people that did DCL and other cruises is that DCL has more kids onboard the at other cruise lines BUT because DCL has such great kids clubs it geels like there are less kids onboard because you see rarely children onboard...

Upcomming Trip:
WDW: May 9th 2013
DCL: May 18th EBTA

Previous Trips:
ABD: 2011 (Backstage Magic)
DCL: 2008 (Western) - 2009 (PCC1.0) - 2010 (EBTA, MED, PCC2.0) - 2012 (PCC3.0, PCC4.0)
DL, 2000 - 2006 - 2011.
DLRP, 1995 - 1996 - 2002 - 2003 - 2007 - 2008 - 2011 - 2012.
WDW, 1999 - 2005 - 2006 - 2007 - 2008 (april/may + dec) - 2009 (april/may + dec) - 2010 (april/may + dec) - 2011 (april/may + dec) - 2012 (June + Dec).
Yvet is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: