Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The DIS Unplugged Podcast
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-23-2013, 11:55 AM   #1
Phoenixblue
Mouseketeer

Waiter hailed as hero after standing up for boy with Down syndrome

I cheered when I read this - thought I would share. Its good to know there are people like this.

http://www.today.com/moms/waiter-hai...rome-1B8038223

Quote:
Waiter hailed as hero after standing up for boy with Down syndrome
Lisa Flam, NBC News

A Houston waiter who refused to serve a customer last week did not lose his job. Instead, Michael Garcia is being celebrated for standing up for a little boy with Down syndrome, with people stopping to shake his hand at the restaurant where regulars are made to feel like part of the family.

One of those regulars, Kim Castillo, was at Laurenzo’s Prime Rib in Houston last week when several waiters stopped by her table. Her 5-year-old son, Milo, who has Down syndrome and whose speech is a little delayed, was showing off his new words and talking about his birthday the week earlier.

A family sitting nearby asked to move away from the Castillo family's table, and a man in the group made a disparaging remark about Milo.

“I heard the man say, ‘Special needs children need to be special somewhere else,’” Garcia told NBC affiliate KPRC-TV in. “My personal feelings took over, and I told him, ‘I’m not going to be able to serve you, Sir.’”

“‘How could you say that?’” Garcia said he asked the man before he left the restaurant with his party. “‘How could you say that about a beautiful 5-year-old angel?’”

Castillo, who noticed the family move but didn’t hear the remark, was grateful when she later found out what Garcia had done, even more so when she learned that the other family were regular customers as well.

“I was impressed that somebody would step out of their own comfort level and put their job on the line as well as to stand up for somebody else,” she said. “I know Michael did it from his heart, and from reacting to the situation. I don’t think he stopped and thought about what he was doing.”

Of the other family, she said, "It's sad that they're ignorant."

Castillo, 40, wrote in an online post that she has been taking Milo out to eat since he was born, and said her son, her only child with husband Eric, is better behaved than most children and was not misbehaving that night.

“Was he loud?” she wrote. “Maybe a little in the moment, but honestly, the adults at our table were three times louder than he was. ... If he had been obnoxious, which like any other 5-year-old he can be, I wouldn’t have thought twice about the family asking to move.”

Garcia, who has worked at the restaurant for about two years, knew the Castillos, and has his own special way of greeting Milo. “Normally when they arrive, I pick him up at the door and carry him to the table,” Garcia told KPRC.

As news of Garcia’s action spread across the Internet, with praise for him on the restaurant’s Facebook page and elsewhere, customers have been seeking out Garcia.

“The business has just been huge,” said Candace Roberts, the Castillos' regular server at Laurenzo’s, adding that patrons are mentioning Garcia's story. “People are coming in to shake his hand and eat at our restaurant and loving it.”

Castillo said she has never heard anybody say something negative about her son, a boy who hates fighting, loves to hug and has lots of preschool chums, both with and without Down syndrome. But she said she has seen kids and adults stare at him or take “second and third glances,” and has witnessed parents pull their kids away from Milo on the playground.

“It’s just ignorance,” she said. “Kids aren’t going to catch anything from him.”

She hopes that the story of Garcia’s kindness will lead to greater tolerance for others, especially for those like Milo, who look different than other kids.

“It’s just impressive to see the outpouring of love and support,” she said, adding that she hopes the story encourages “people to stand up for other people who can’t stand up for themselves and that it's worth taking the risk.”

“Maybe next time they’ll think twice before they utter those words or say something derogatory about somebody else,” she said.

Phoenixblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 03:18 PM   #2
latexscooter
Be nice even if it takes some effort.

I read this earlier this week and it sent a thrill through me too. I thought it was great that not only did the waiter stand up for the boy but the owners and management behind him. As a new transplant to Houston I quickly moved this restaurant to the top of my must eat at list.
Old 01-27-2013, 03:30 PM   #3
GAN
DIS Veteran

Location: Between the Port of Indecision and Southwest of Disorder

It's good know that ignorance hasn't surpassed knowledge.....yet. Thanks to all involved!
GAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 05:31 PM   #4
roomthreeseventeen
Inaugural Dopey Challenge finisher

What a great story. Thanks for posting it.
AKL (marathon weekend) and ... AKL (Wine and Dine)
2013 Fort Wilderness 2014 Dopey Challenge AKL
2015 Dopey Challenge at POR!

roomthreeseventeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 07:51 PM   #5
WaltD4Me
PS...I tried asking for water cups once
I am actually a princess

Good for him! People like that deserve to be humiliated. I wasn't quite sure, did the other party leave right then or did they move to another table with another server and Michael the server asked him how he could say that on their way out?
Lisa 1980 Poly, 92' Grand Floridian, Oct 98 Teddy & Doll Convention, Dec 2004 POFQ, May 05 40th Birthday!, May 06 OKW 41st Birthday! May 07 OKW 42nd Birthday! Feb 08 Pirate & Princess Party! Oct. 08 at OKW! 1st Solo Trip May 09! / November 2010 at OKW, 2013 at WDW and Crusing on the Dream
WaltD4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 08:19 PM   #6
SA mom
DIS Veteran

That is a hero!
SA mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 11:34 PM   #7
msande
Earning My Ears

I watched it on the morning news and started to cry. Not only for the cruelty of that man's intolerance but with joy for the compassion the waiter showed.
msande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 10:08 AM   #8
baby1disney
DIS Veteran

This is absolutely AWESOME!!!! This man is a perfect example of how people need to stand up to bullies!! If I ever make down to Texas within the next year or so, I'm definitely stopping by this restaurant and shaking this young man's hand!!!
OKWw/DF and DS and inlaws--October 2007
AKV w/DH, DS and inlaws--March 2009
SSR w/Inlaws--October 2010
baby1disney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 10:17 AM   #9
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

Great story....

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: