Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-23-2013, 01:00 PM   #31
LekiaHall
Mouseketeer

While I love Disney, there's such a thing as too much Disney for my DH and children (the nerve!). Our first trip was in 2009 and it was so great, we went again the next year. It became obvious that it was too much, too soon., so we didn't go again until 2012. While I could stand going about twice a year, we're an every other year family now. I suggested going for Halloween this year and they all but bite my head off, so 2014 it is. My husband cut me some slack and is letting me sneak in 2 days during our anniversary trip this year.

I must say that while I love Disney, I wouldn't want to go more than twice a year. I love to travel and there are just too many places I want to visit to devote so much time to the World.

LekiaHall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 01:01 PM   #32
katt789
DIS Veteran

Ahahaha, I went a bit crazy last year, I traveled a total of 6 times in 2012, and once was for a 2 week trip, kinda 2 combined into one.

Jan- first solo trip (a quick 4 day trip)
March-solo over to DLR (again, quick 3 day trip, was supposed to be for an audition)
April-an actual vacation w/friends
July-an audition trip, solo, 3 days (including travel)
Sept-2 weeks, 2 trips in one
Nov-4 day solo trip

I was pretty much there once a month, it was a bit crazy, but at the same time, it's a happy magical place, and I do travel solo alot, and with the AP I don't have to pay for tix, and can get some good room discounts

Instagram:Kattwyllie
Twitter: KattWy

katt789 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-23-2013, 01:01 PM   #33
Princess Disney Mom
DIS Veteran

Three is my max and I live near DC. I think 3 is the most trips planned at one time.
2006 - CR X 2/ DoubleTree WDW/ POFQ/ Music Resort
2007 - POP X 3/ Double Tree WDW
2008 - Disneyland/ BoardWalk / Off Site WDW
2009 - Offsite/Doubletree at WDW/CR/Boardwalk
2010 - Disneyland/ Doubletree WDW/HBC/ Music Resort
2011 - Hilton Bonnet Creek/ Port Orleans Riverside
2012 - Hilton Bonnet Creek
2013- Disneyland / Grand Floridian
2014 - Offsite/ Grand Floridian
Princess Disney Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 01:03 PM   #34
tndisneyfan
DIS Veteran

A few years ago when we had AP's, we went five times from June to June. When we planned the first trip we planned the dates for all five and some tentative dining plans. We didn't have actual reservations because we had to wait for AP rates. As far as one calendar year we've done three in one year.
Old 01-23-2013, 01:05 PM   #35
disneycrazi
watch your head and step as you disembark

Quote:
Originally Posted by clareita
I love WDW, and I love DLR even more, but I also love seeing other places. For those of you who visit WDW multiple times of year every year, do you ever take other vacations? The world is a big place and I want to make sure my children see more of it than just WDW and home. I've taken them to WDW and DLR many times, but I've also taken them to New York, Chicago, San Diego, Denver, the Grand Canyon, and this summer we went to Italy. The world has so many marvels - why limit yourself to one place?
We lived in Illinois so yep done Chicago, now live just outside Indy so yep to that one too. DS is just 8 so plan to take him to see a lot of historical areas starting when he is 10. He is a major history buff, ESP the US Presidents and colonial times?? He also wants to see NY and he soooo wants to go to Costa Rica. He watches travel with kids a lot so that spurned the Costa Rica thing. We also want to see all the national parks. The DS son also loves jazz and classical music so we def need to take him to at least New Orleans. Of course these will be years where we travel to Disney once and then one other trip to one of the above mentioned areas.
(2003 Day Trip) (2009 April All Star Movies) (2009 September Port Orleans Riverside) (2010 April Caribbean Beach) (2010 Sept Grand Gathering POFQ) (2011 Jan Contemporary) (2011 April All Star Music) (2011 July POP Century) (2012 January All Star Sports)
(2012 Feb One More Disney Day Coronado Springs)
(2012 Sept Animal Kingdom Jambo) (2013 March Old Key West) (2013 October Art Of Animation, Polynesian)
(2014 April off site Fountains Resort)
disneycrazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 01:05 PM   #36
Here4mydisneyfix
Andrew Sutton, you genious man, you! She will remember the Rose forever...

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneycrazi View Post
It's funny sometimes I think people think that retail managers are somehow a lower life form....I have been doing this my whole life, never had college loans and worked my butt off. Now granted IMHO my company pays well for store managers its not like I'm makin millions as the lady seemed to think.
My husband is a retail manager too, so we are all too familiar with these kind of comments/looks about our trips, organic food buying, etc. It's just silly! My husband does get paid very well for retial, but it's definitely not luxurious amounts of money. We too live in a small house and have old cars. I have never understood why people choose to slave away just to have something shiny to drive? It'll be old someday too! And a bigger house just lends more places to get dirty in my eyes! With three little kids, I have a tough time keeping up with what I've got! HA! Nah, we spend our money on the real stuff that matters...DISNEY or course!
Here4mydisneyfix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 01:08 PM   #37
disneycrazi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Here4mydisneyfix

My husband is a retail manager too, so we are all too familiar with these kind of comments/looks about our trips, organic food buying, etc. It's just silly! My husband does get paid very well for retial, but it's definitely not luxurious amounts of money. We too live in a small house and have old cars. I have never understood why people choose to slave away just to have something shiny to drive? It'll be old someday too! And a bigger house just lends more places to get dirty in my eyes! With three little kids, I have a tough time keeping up with what I've got! HA! Nah, we spend our money on the real stuff that matters...DISNEY or course!
Wahoooooooooo say it loud say it proud! I agree 100%! Memories last a lifetime, cars don't. And a bigger house also gives me too much space to fill with crap. I'm a friend of the pitching party mentality......live with only what you love and pass on the rest. Give it away, sell it or recycle it.
(2003 Day Trip) (2009 April All Star Movies) (2009 September Port Orleans Riverside) (2010 April Caribbean Beach) (2010 Sept Grand Gathering POFQ) (2011 Jan Contemporary) (2011 April All Star Music) (2011 July POP Century) (2012 January All Star Sports)
(2012 Sept Animal Kingdom Jambo) (2013 March Old Key West) (2013 October Art Of Animation, Polynesian)
Old 01-23-2013, 01:12 PM   #38
disneycrazi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Here4mydisneyfix
HA! I love this thread! So although our first trip to WDW isn't for 12 more days, we ARE DLR vets...and we don't live too close either. It's about 22hrs by car, or 2.5hrs by plane, yet we managed to make it there for FOUR trips last year. We are not even AP holders...I guess we really should be, but we just had no idea we'd have the opportunity to be there so many times!! The funny thing is that after our first year going with my husband and kids (I've been going since I was a kid, so I've been a DLR vet for about 25 years!), my husband was sooo not convinced about the whole "Disney" thing (he'd never gone as a kid).

I had made the mistake of booking 5 days at DLR with our three kids under 5 and we opened and closed the parks each day WITH midnight closings...yea, we were exhausted as heck. Oops! BAD mommy! lol I was just sooo excited to finally be back "home" that I WAY overbooked us! Let me tell you, our kids were troopers! LOL When we left, the hubs was saying stuff like we'd be back in 5 years...maybe. But I worked on him, and somehow convinced him to go again, and we had a really great, and much more laid back time...then we went again and again and again, and now we are near single digits for our first WDW trip!! Needless to say, I think the man is almost as hooked as me now! HA!

The really funny strange comment part came from his family. They were asking about what we are doing on our upcoming trip to Florida, and we mentioned WDW in addition to a beach resort, and his bro said..."Ummm didn't you just go to DL like 2 times this year? What do you make? like 100g's a year?" We corrected him of course, and said we'd actually been FOUR times and that no, we don't make that much money...we are a single income family since I homeschool our three kids! We just know how to budget, we don't live in excess in normal life, and I also sell things on Ebay to pay for the Disney obsession! lol

People are weird about other's business...or maybe it's really us Disney lovers who are weird? If that's the case, I don't EVER want to be a "normal" person!!
Normal is way overrated. I prefer to live in the land of pixie fairies, pirates, flying elephants and talking mice! It's just how I roll, lol
Old 01-23-2013, 01:13 PM   #39
Here4mydisneyfix
Andrew Sutton, you genious man, you! She will remember the Rose forever...

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneycrazi View Post
Normal is way overrated. I prefer to live in the land of pixie fairies, pirates, flying elephants and talking mice! It's just how I roll, lol
HA!! I like your style!
Here4mydisneyfix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 01:15 PM   #40
Crystal824
DIS Veteran

We usually go once every 12-18 months. While planning our trip for last May, we decided to get APs and go in May and November as DH had never been to WDW at Christmas. We will also gothis April on those APs. Technically that will be three trips in a year although the last trip will be in the next calendar year. Yes, we were planning three trips at once.
Crystal824 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 01:23 PM   #41
Sunny37
DIS Veteran

Our 2012 trips:
March--7 days
June--3 days, plus 7 days on the Fantasy
Sept--3 days
Oct--7 days
November--6 days
December--14 days

Yikes, now that I type that out, I seem a bit obsessed!
Old 01-23-2013, 01:23 PM   #42
tigger24601
Earning My Ears

We've gone 5 times (ithink) since we got our seasonal pass in october. But only one of those was an over night trip. We live about 4 hours south and dh has mondays off and occasionally needs a mickey break. We currently have another overnight trip planned for late february but otherwise we just wing it.

On our last pass, 2 years ago, I think we went enough days that it ended up costing less than $10 a day for park admission.
tigger24601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 01:39 PM   #43
MUFFYCAT
Sorry, I'm a spaze
Nevermind I see it, my eyesight is going
Which Spice Girl can I be?
Jealous of Christmas Tags

I hear it all the time- Why go to Disney again?

You know what? It's my vacation, my money and my family, so leave your opinion to yourself.
Old 01-23-2013, 01:49 PM   #44
pigletto
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by clareita View Post
I love WDW, and I love DLR even more, but I also love seeing other places. For those of you who visit WDW multiple times of year every year, do you ever take other vacations? The world is a big place and I want to make sure my children see more of it than just WDW and home. I've taken them to WDW and DLR many times, but I've also taken them to New York, Chicago, San Diego, Denver, the Grand Canyon, and this summer we went to Italy. The world has so many marvels - why limit yourself to one place?
We budget for two big family trips per year. The last few years it has been Disney for each of them. However, we've been many places. We've done many cruises, hitting a variety of islands. We've travelled in Canada, dd has spent a month in Chile, we go to the Adirondacks every Fall, Boston etc.
Disney is what we choose to do NOW. Not forever, just for now. When we're sick of it, we'll do something else again. We were very excitedly planning a trip to Banff for the summer and it was working out much more expensive. At one point we priced out Hawaii and it was astronomical. We can go away twice in a year to Florida and stay under our allotted budget.
My kids are 15 and 9. Finally my 9 year old is getting to a place where other types of trips with museums and sightseeing would hold more interest for him.
Like I said, we had something else planned for the summer, but last weekend the kids unanimously voted for Disney for the summer trip again. As long as it makes my family happy and we are excited.. it's good for now
Old 01-23-2013, 01:54 PM   #45
maccalovah
Mouseketeer

We go probably 12-15 times per year, but they are usually just day trips, since we live in Tampa. It's still fun to answer those survey people in the park by telling them we've probably been over 100 times. Their eyes usually get quite wide....
may 2006 POFQ
mar 1997 PORS
nov 1995 WL
aug 1990 Offsite
maccalovah is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: