Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-16-2013, 08:08 AM   #496
DaveinFallsChurch
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmysmommy View Post
Your DD is quite the adorable character. That's good that she is protective of her little brother. Sounds like she has some assertiveness in her by speaking up with the next table.
She's definitely not shy around other kids and in many cases other adults. She's also very interested in making new friends with perfect strangers by striking up a conversation. Once I took the kids to Panera for lunch and as we were waiting for our food she spied a couple of girls her age with their mom eating at one of the booths. For the rest of our meal, all I heard from her was "Can we go sit and eat with those girls?" I did finally let her go say hi to them on our way out.

Everyone Hail To the Pumpkin Song! October 2014: TR PTR
Don't Fear the Rain, We have the Ducky of Death! - Jan '14 Trip Report
Discovering A Whole New World of Disney - An October Photo Safari 2013: Trip Report /PTR
A Winter Escape to the Enchanted Forest - January 2013 Trip Report/PTR
A Solo Trip to Disneyland 28 years in the Making! A Trip Report for October 16 and 17th, 2012
Our First Magical Poly Vacation! April 14-21, 2012 - Trip Report/ Live Report/ PTR

Old 05-16-2013, 09:47 AM   #497
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

Just caught up....great update.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-16-2013, 01:08 PM   #498
DaveinFallsChurch
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiigirl View Post
Just caught up....great update.
Thank you!

Discovering A Whole New World of Disney - An October Photo Safari 2013: Trip Report /PTR
A Solo Trip to Disneyland 28 years in the Making! A Trip Report for October 16 and 17th, 2012
Our First Magical Poly Vacation! April 14-21, 2012 - Trip Report/ Live Report/ PTR

Old 05-17-2013, 04:23 PM   #499
afwdwfan
DIS Dad #460
You should always make room for a loophole when you need it

Well, the main point we can take away from this update is that your DD most certainly is not shy. I think that is really cool that she was carrying on a "conversation" through the window and then asking the other kids to be quiet... and I'm glad that your DS only had a false alarm in Pecos Bills.

I would also like to complement your DD on her rating system. If Barnstormer is fun and BTMRR is fun fun, I guess that makes Rock'n Rollercoaster fun fun fun. I guess we'll have to wait a while to get that official rating from her though.
Old 05-17-2013, 06:55 PM   #500
DaveinFallsChurch
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by afwdwfan View Post
Well, the main point we can take away from this update is that your DD most certainly is not shy. I think that is really cool that she was carrying on a "conversation" through the window and then asking the other kids to be quiet... and I'm glad that your DS only had a false alarm in Pecos Bills.
I'm always astonished how assertive and engaging she is with people since I was the complete opposite when I was a child. She just participated in her first ballet show and had absolutely no stage fright. I remember how terrified I was standing on a stage as a kid.

Quote:
I would also like to complement your DD on her rating system. If Barnstormer is fun and BTMRR is fun fun, I guess that makes Rock'n Rollercoaster fun fun fun. I guess we'll have to wait a while to get that official rating from her though.
The next step in my master plan to get her to become a thrill ride junkie is to get her to go on Expedition Everest and Tower of Terror in January. I'm hoping I'll get the fun fun fun rating from her. RnRC will of course be the Mount Everest of Disney thrill rides, wait that's a little confusing since there's a ride called Expedition....oh never mind.

Old 05-19-2013, 09:50 PM   #501
DaveinFallsChurch
DIS Veteran

One More Celebration To End Our Trip

Tuesday January 29th

We cut across into Adventureland to look for Aladdin and Jasmineís meet and greet. Instead of the royal duo, there was Genie!

IMG_7563 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr

Now, I thought it was pretty cool that Genie was there. I mean, how often do you get to do a meet and greet with him? But DD was NOT a happy camper. So, I asked the CM at the queue entrance when Jasmine and Aladdin were schedule to be coming out to swap spots and she said in about 5 minutes. The line was about 15 minutes long from what I can tell. You know youíve been to Disney a few times when you can gauge the wait time for a character meet and greet by eyeing the length of the line. So, I got in line while DFIL perused the gift shop next door to look for something for my nephew and niece (his other grandchildren). DD was getting upset despite my reassurances that we were in line for Jasmine. The older daughter in the family standing in front of us heard our conversation and tried to help by telling DD how cool the Genie was. DD was not in a friendly mood so I ended up chatting with the rest of the family. The mom in the family asked if DD had seen all of the princesses and I confidently said yes. Then she reminded me about Rapunzel. DOH! I couldn't believe I had forgotten about her.

Sure enough, 5 minutes later, Aladdin and Jasmine made their way out and all was right with the world again for DD. We were about two families away from our turn when the mom in the group behind us had to answer her cell phone trying to coordinate where to meet afterwards. Aladdin in between his meet and greets heard her and asked the family in front of him goofily ďIs she crazy? Who is she talking to?Ē accompanied by the universal sign language of crazy with his finger swirling next to his head. I could tell by the momís reaction that she was going back and forth between being embarrassed, confused, and offended all in a matter of a few seconds. I think she really thought that Aladdin was calling her crazy just for talking on a cell phone while in line and not realizing that he was staying in character who lived in a time period when cell phones didnít exist. Clearly, a newbie mistake! So to help make her feel better about the situation, I told the family that Aladdin has never seen a cell phone and thatís why he couldnít figure out who you were talking to. I said ďHe thinks youíre just talking into a wooden block or somethingĒ. That helped, and they all laughed about it.

DD went up to Aladdin and Jasmine and had a brief chat.

IMG_7565 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr

Aladdin tried to make mustaches on her face with the tassels from his cap. Then he made a comment about how much bigger my camera was compared to the photopass photographerís which made me chuckle.

After the meet and greet, DD wanted to go into the Tiki Room again, so I sent her off with DFIL while I hustled over to Main Street to get FPs for the princess meet and greet. Thank goodness that the other mom reminded me. I still donít know how I completely blanked out on Rapunzel. I just assumed we were all done with princesses since I was able to squeeze in the Akershus lunch. After picking up the FPs, I walked back over to the Adventureland entrance. The lines for Aloha Isle were extremely short, so I couldnít resist. Got myself a pineapple and orange swirl Dole Whip! The CM gave me two spoons but I just needed one. I plopped myself in the shade near the exit for the Tiki Room and enjoyed every bite. DD and DFIL came out and saw what I was up to. They wanted one too. Sure, why not? We had plenty of snack credits to use up on our last day. So, we walked back to Aloha Isle and DFIL/DD stood in line. Thatís when DFIL realized he left the bag of gifts he had bought inside the Tiki Room. I walked over to the CM at the Tiki entrance, and thankfully, she had it. Problem solved.

DD and DFIL really enjoyed their Dole Whips. Who doesnít right? Well, everyone was well refreshed and recharged after that snack. We walked back to Main Street. DFIL joined up with DW who was in shopping nirvana while DS slept in his stroller. I took DD over to meet the princesses. At first I felt a little silly using a FP since the initial lobby area of the queue was COMPLETEY empty. We did get to skip ahead of about 20 people so that was good though. Not sure if I like this set up. It sort of reminded me of the same setup as the Character Spot in Epcot. A conveyor belt of sorts. Rapunzel was the highlight for DD who had already met Aurora and Cinderella during this trip. She still loved meeting all of them and literally pranced and pirouetted out of the meet and greet area.

Now our Disney trip was really coming to a close. One last thing to do was to watch the Celebrate a Dream Come True Parade with the kids. DW and DFIL were still busy finishing their shopping. DD and I found a spot on the curve in front of the ďArcadeĒ on Main Street. While shopping, DW bought a Jesse hat fully equipped with a braided pony tail that DD had been asking for all day as her one souvenir a day choice. So DD strapped on the hat and sat next to me while we waited for the parade to start. The Dapper Dans were walking around entertaining the crowds. I just enjoyed listening to the sights and sounds from the comfort of our well shaded curbside seat. We sat there about 15 minutes and the parade started. DW and DFIL stood behind us with DS still sleeping in the stroller when the grand marshal car rolled by. But as soon as the music was cranked up and the first group of characters made their appearance, out of nowhere DS flew in and plopped himself right next to me. Both DS and DD adored the parade. And guess what? Captain Hook made his way over to our side, shook hands with the kids, and DD didnít even flinch! Thatís right. Our DD who hates every single villain in the Disney book was laughing when Hook stuck his face into hers.

IMG_7626 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr

IMG_7640 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr

IMG_7643 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr

IMG_7645 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr

IMG_7647 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr

IMG_7653 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr

IMG_7655 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr

IMG_7658 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr

IMG_7671 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr

IMG_7676 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr

IMG_7680 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr

IMG_7694 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr

IMG_7697 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr

IMG_7701 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr

IMG_7707 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr

The parade eventually ended and it was time for us to leave. DW grabbed a bag of cotton candy on our way the gates. Which brings me to my random thought Ė you just donít see cotton candy on a stick at Disney.

As we hopped on our monorail to the parking lot to get our minivan, we all waved goodbye to Magic Kingdom and Disney. I wonít bore you with all of the details of what happened in the next two hours since itís all a blur and not so magical. The short version is that getting through security was a nightmare due to an elderly single gentleman in front of us who didnít understand English and the instructions of the TSA agents. There was one more throw-up from DS. Nobody got dinner because we didnít have time. And we had to say goodbye to DFIL who headed home to Ohio. Oh, and once we arrived back at our home airport DW misplaced a paid parking ticket and we spent about 15 minutes looking for it before I located it in the bottom of the trunk.

Next Up: Parting Thoughts

Old 05-20-2013, 11:32 AM   #502
afwdwfan
DIS Dad #460
You should always make room for a loophole when you need it

I'm glad that everything worked out so that your DD could meet all the princesses!

It looks like a nice way to finish up the trip. That parade isn't necessarily my favorite, but it is a great chance to see some characters and just take in the atmosphere of the park.

I'm sorry you had so many bumps in the road getting back home. And the parking ticket being lost in the trunk... yeah, that would be the last place I'd look for it.
Old 05-20-2013, 12:07 PM   #503
khertz
Proud member of the WHO DAT NATION!!

How nice, getting to enjoy a Dole Whip swirl all by yourself in MK. I'm glad DS perked up enough to see the parade. What a nice way to cap off a Disney vacation!
JULY 1994 // Offsite & Universal Studios & Busch Gardens | APRIL 1998 // All Star Music & Universal Studios |FEBRUARY 2001 // All Star Music & Universal | MARCH 2003 // All Star Music & Universal // Hard Rock Hotel | FEBRUARY 2004 // All Star Music & Universal // Royal Pacific & Sea World | OCTOBER 2007 (Disneymoon!) // Port Orleans French Quarter & Universal Studios // Royal Pacific | DECEMBER 2009 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/ TR | JULY/AUGUST 2010 // Wyndham Cypress Palms TR | NOVEMBER 2011 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/TR | MAY 2012 // Disneyland // Wyndham Dolphin's Cove TR | AUGUST 2012 // Disneyland 5 Year Anniversary Trip // Peacock Suites TR | OCTOBER 2012 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/TR | OCTOBER 2013 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek & Universal // Royal Pacific PTR/TR | MAY 2014 // Wilderness Lodge TR | SEPTEMBER 2014 // ABD DIS Exclusive Viva Italia & Disneyland Paris Show No Fear! DIS Exclusive Viva Italia + DLP Sept 2014 | MARCH 2015 // Disneyland // Wyndham Dolphin's Cove | OCTOBER 2015 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek & Universal | FEBRUARY 2016 // ??
Old 05-20-2013, 12:46 PM   #504
DaveinFallsChurch
DIS Veteran

Quote:
It looks like a nice way to finish up the trip. That parade isn't necessarily my favorite, but it is a great chance to see some characters and just take in the atmosphere of the park.

I'm sorry you had so many bumps in the road getting back home. And the parking ticket being lost in the trunk... yeah, that would be the last place I'd look for it.
I think I have my kids to thank for how much I enjoy Celebrate a Dream Come True Parade - they have so much fun during the parade that I enjoy just watching them! And you kind of get that idea when you see DS who was wiped out all day from a stomach bug, wake up and jump out of his stroller when the parade started.

I can laugh about DW misplacing the parking ticket now. I had prepaid the parking ticket (mind you, 4 days worth of daily parking rate at the airport!) once we deplaned and handed it to her since she was going to drive. She went to get the car (supposedly still holding on to the ticket in her hand) while the kids and I waited with our bags by the elevators. When she came back, she didn't know where the parking ticket was! We ended up tracing back her steps at first staring at the ground to see if she dropped it. But before giving up, I mentally retraced and guessed what would be the first thing she would have done when she reached the car - putting her bags in the trunk. So, I opened up our trunk one more time, took allllll of the bags out and sure enough, there it was at the bottom.

Old 05-20-2013, 12:47 PM   #505
DaveinFallsChurch
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by khertz View Post
How nice, getting to enjoy a Dole Whip swirl all by yourself in MK. I'm glad DS perked up enough to see the parade. What a nice way to cap off a Disney vacation!
Sad to be reaching the end of my TR. But I'm getting ready to launch my PTR for the solo trip in October! I'll post the link once I have it started!

Old 05-20-2013, 07:46 PM   #506
DaveinFallsChurch
DIS Veteran

I've started a new Pre-Trip Report for my October solo trip!!

Here's the link: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3114607

I hope you can join me again! I'm also trying something different for this PTR so come on over and help me put together a photo safari list!

Old 05-21-2013, 07:14 PM   #507
DaveinFallsChurch
DIS Veteran

Parting Thoughts

One more plug for my PTR that I started for my solo October trip! Hope you can join me!

Some parting thoughts:

For the foreseeable future, we will be making our January trips an annual one as long as DDís school calendar continues to have a four day weekend for the last week of January. Between the lower crowds and cheaper prices, we love visiting at that time of the year and donít mind the occasional cold spells or refurbs. And weíve been able to steer clear of any major troubles or nuisance with the tour groups, we can only hope that continues to be the case.
I love visiting and traveling with other family and friends to Disney especially when they are Disney novices. Watching them experience Disney things for the first time makes things even more enjoyable. Plus, the additional help with the kids is always appreciated! DFIL came with us for our last two trips and we had a blast with him. I think for our next trip weíll mix things up a little again and see if other people would like to join us. Iím going to try (once again) and see if my brotherís family can come with us. Sadly, he has decided that he does not enjoy Disney World trips after his last attempt with his wife and son (who was 2 at the time) really wore him out. Iím still convinced itís because they hadnít planned things out accordingly, that they visited during a peak season, and they didnít know all of the little tips and tricks that could have made things a little easier. Despite that, my nephew had a great time and I know my sister-in-law would LOVE to tag along with us and just follow our plans along! We shall see.

Whoever we go with, Iím really looking forward to our next couple of trips since our kids are beginning to get easier to take on trips. Next January, DD will be 7 Ĺ, and DS will be a little over 4. It will also give us opportunities to expand our activities and try new things with them with more restaurants becoming ďeligibleĒ for our itinerary. We will most likely be saying goodbyes to Riderswap next time but Iím very excited that DS will finally get to catch up and try Soariní, Test Track, and BTMRR.

I really appreciated everything about the Art of Animation Resort. Our kids absolutely loved this resort and if it were up to my DD we would be heading back there again and again. I on the other hand would like to keep trying new resorts. It definitely has features very attractive to kids and families. I most appreciated that we finally have a suite option when we travel with other folks that doesnít break the bank.

New Fantasyland was great. Iím aware that it is a bit light on the rides right now but I just adored all of the theming and atmosphere of the area. And I am absolutely convinced that once the Dwarves Mine Ride is completed that New FL will be unbelievably awesome! Of course, the wait times for it will be like 300 minutes but thatís another story. Iíve been telling people who tell me how disappointed theyíve been with New FL (and there are those out there) to reserve judgment until the mine ride opens which I think will be the marquee attraction for New FL. Even just removing all of the congestion from the construction will do wonders!

My love for photography just keeps getting stronger (and more expensive) thanks to Disney. Like many on DIS, it was our Disney trip last April that opened my eyes to the possibilities of photography and since then it has continued to snowball into a massive hobby. With the big 4-0 just around the corner, itís probably a good thing that I have something to keep me distracted from skidding off the mid-life cliff. And itís cheaper than a convertible! Over the past year, Iíve been reading and learning so much about taking pictures and trying them out in everyday life and not just on vacations. I cannot wait until I get back to Disney to try out new shots with my family! Iím already stocking up on memory cards for our next trip since Iím pretty sure I can easily hit 3000 next time Ė as long as neither of the kids begin throwing up again.

Finally, I can say that I will not tire of Disney vacations. Even with all of the walking and waiting, my family really does enjoy them. And the best evidence is what happens when we come home. The kids told me repeatedly that they wish they were still at Disney for at least a good two weeks. DW looks forward to our next trip (and that says a lot!) and doesnít mind talking about which resort she would like to try out next. She still thinks Iím crazy for starting the countdown to our next trip 300 days out. As for me, I carry the ďDisney feelĒ with me as long as I can after coming back from the vacation and the DIS helps me do that. You should see the look on my patients when I start singing ďTime for your check-upĒ from Doc Mcstuffins or the ďHot DogĒ song from Mickey Mouse Clubhouse. And no, I donít sing those to the pre-teen and teen crowds. Planning for our next trip also helps me keep the Disney magic around my life.

Thank you to everyone who stuck around through the end of this trip report!! I had a great time sharing our Disney adventures with you!

Old 05-23-2013, 11:06 AM   #508
khertz
Proud member of the WHO DAT NATION!!

I'm sad your TR is over, Dave, but now I can just look forward to the next one. OCTOBER!!!

You sound a lot like DH when it comes to the photography. He has been really getting into it, a little more with each Disney trip, and yes it's an EXPENSIVE hobby! But I get to reap the benefits with nice pictures, so I don't complain. He is actually taking a class this summer at the local University, so he's hoping to be even better by the time we go back in the fall.

I really enjoyed reading about your trip and getting to "know" you and your family a bit better!
JULY 1994 // Offsite & Universal Studios & Busch Gardens | APRIL 1998 // All Star Music & Universal Studios |FEBRUARY 2001 // All Star Music & Universal | MARCH 2003 // All Star Music & Universal // Hard Rock Hotel | FEBRUARY 2004 // All Star Music & Universal // Royal Pacific & Sea World | OCTOBER 2007 (Disneymoon!) // Port Orleans French Quarter & Universal Studios // Royal Pacific | DECEMBER 2009 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/ TR | JULY/AUGUST 2010 // Wyndham Cypress Palms TR | NOVEMBER 2011 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/TR | MAY 2012 // Disneyland // Wyndham Dolphin's Cove TR | AUGUST 2012 // Disneyland 5 Year Anniversary Trip // Peacock Suites TR | OCTOBER 2012 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/TR | OCTOBER 2013 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek & Universal // Royal Pacific PTR/TR | MAY 2014 // Wilderness Lodge TR | SEPTEMBER 2014 // ABD DIS Exclusive Viva Italia & Disneyland Paris Show No Fear! DIS Exclusive Viva Italia + DLP Sept 2014 | MARCH 2015 // Disneyland // Wyndham Dolphin's Cove | OCTOBER 2015 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek & Universal | FEBRUARY 2016 // ??
Old 05-23-2013, 11:41 AM   #509
DaveinFallsChurch
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by khertz View Post
I'm sad your TR is over, Dave, but now I can just look forward to the next one. OCTOBER!!!

You sound a lot like DH when it comes to the photography. He has been really getting into it, a little more with each Disney trip, and yes it's an EXPENSIVE hobby! But I get to reap the benefits with nice pictures, so I don't complain. He is actually taking a class this summer at the local University, so he's hoping to be even better by the time we go back in the fall.

I really enjoyed reading about your trip and getting to "know" you and your family a bit better!
Thanks for following along this TR! Now we both can focus on our October trips!!

Old 05-30-2013, 09:24 AM   #510
emilyindisney
DIS Veteran

Overall it sounds like you had a fantastic trip! I agree that the crowds and prices in January are tough to beat. Your photography is beautiful and I'm sure you'll continue to impress this point-and-shoot girl in your future TRs!

March 1996 (Swan), March 2008 (CBR), January 2013 (AoA), February 2014 (ASSp/BWV), October 2014 (Pop), January 2015 (ASMo)

"Laughter is timeless, imagination has no age, and dreams are forever" -Walt Disney

Nike+: secondaryhoney
Add me and let's run!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: