Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-26-2013, 11:02 AM   #331
luckylady
DIS Veteran

Pretty snow. I haven't seen any this winter and last week windows were open. Glad th kids had a little bit of playtime in it.
Me Luckylady (53) DH (60) DS#1 (33)DD (25) and the "baby" DS#2 (23)
Old 03-26-2013, 11:46 AM   #332
DaveinFallsChurch
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckylady View Post
Pretty snow. I haven't seen any this winter and last week windows were open. Glad th kids had a little bit of playtime in it.
The snow did look good even if it didn't last long. Later in the day, it was just slop and slush.

All We Want Is To Spend Halloween with Mickey! October 2014PTR
Don't Fear the Rain, We have the Ducky of Death! - Jan '14 Trip Report
Discovering A Whole New World of Disney - An October Photo Safari 2013: Trip Report /PTR
A Winter Escape to the Enchanted Forest - January 2013 Trip Report/PTR
A Solo Trip to Disneyland 28 years in the Making! A Trip Report for October 16 and 17th, 2012
Our First Magical Poly Vacation! April 14-21, 2012 - Trip Report/ Live Report/ PTR

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-27-2013, 09:36 PM   #333
DaveinFallsChurch
DIS Veteran

DC Tour 3/27/2013 - Part I

DW and the kids left for Ohio today to spend the rest of the week and Easter weekend with my in-laws. Originally, I was suppose to go as well but it turned out that it was my turn to cover the weekend at the hospital so I had to stay behind. To make the best of the situation, I decided to still take today, tomorrow, and Friday off and put together an itinerary for my staycation in our DC area. So here's what I was able to experience today!

After seeing off my family as they started their drive to Ohio, I drove and parked at the Metro station by our home. As I entered the station, saw a large group of people congregating in front of the ticket machines who I would bet were not locals. It's a familiar sight especially during mid-morning to midday hours at Metro stations. The automated machines are antiquated and very difficult to navigate especially for first time users. I remember being thoroughly confused the first time bought a ticket from these machines.

Untitled by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr

Took the Metro over to the Federal Triangle Station in DC. I had made a lunch reservation at Central Michel Richards for 11:30am. The restaurant is located across the street from the Old Post Office Pavilion.

IMG_0035 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr

I was one of the first guests to be seated. The pictures in the restaurant were taken by my iphone. Didn't have the heart to pull out my massive DSLR and draw attention.

They tucked me waaaaaay in the corner being a solo diner. If I ever dine here by myself again, I think I'll take the bar seat as some of the other guests arriving at opening time did.

This was my first time here and the menu items were very interesting. A lot of the items on the menu were what most would consider American "comfort food" with a French twist. I had researched online and it appeared that the most popular dishes for lunch were Fried Chicken with Mashed Potatoes and the beef burger. First was the cheese puffs as the appetizer.

It was excellent. Very fluffy and light. Still, the portion was a bit too much to finish all by myself and I believe I left behind 4-5 puffs. For the entree, I decided to go with the Fried Chicken and it didn't disappoint. Came with a small salad and a house honey mustard along with mashed potatoes. Soooo good!

I was debating whether I had room for dessert when my server convinced me. I didn't think I had room for anything chocolate so went for the lemon tarts described in the menu as "eggtastic". You can see why in this picture as the presentation is in the form of a bird's nest!

I was stuffed by the time the check arrived. I would absolutely recommend this place for lunch or dinner. I'm already looking forward to trying out their burger in the very near future!

It almost 1pm when I left the restaurant. Next up on my plans was the Smithsonian American Art Museum and the Portrait Museum which were a couple of blocks away. On my way there, I walked past Ford Theatre and saw a very long line outside the house where President Lincoln passed away.

Good ol Spring Break week. I don't think I've ever seen a line like this before. Also, tomorrow marks the beginning of the NCAA Basketball Sweet 16 games and DC is one of the regional sites so I'm sure that brought in extra crowds. Plus you have the Cherry Blossom Festival. And Easter weekend coming up.

I arrived at the American Art Museum which shares the building with the Portrait Museum. I was very excited because this was my first visit after living here for almost 5 years! With the kids, we frequently visit the museums more friendly and interesting to younger children like the National History or the Air and Space. In any case, I was ecstatic about spending a few hours here. As I walked in, one of the security guards instructed me to either wear my backpack in the front or carry it with my hand on the side. That was the first time I can remember where a museum had such a policy for backpacks. At first I thought it might be security related. But it turns out they were just trying to protect their exhibit items when folks turn around and accidently hit them with their backpacks. Just like at Disney when folks whack you with their large backpacks as they turn around in lines.

The building is absolutely beautiful. It was originally built in 1836 and served as the US Patent Office. The interior and the architecture alone is a good reason to visit this place. I went straight to the third floor as that's where the modern art exhibits were and found this beautiful hall and hallway.

IMG_0036 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr

IMG_0039 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr

The exhibit hall that houses the modern art collection was also gorgeous. It's named Lincoln Hall after President Lincoln used it to greet guests to celebrate his (second?) inauguration.

IMG_0044 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr

IMG_0071 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr

Some of the art work that caught my eye in this modern exhibit.

IMG_0043 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr

IMG_0047 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr

IMG_0058 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr

IMG_0070 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr

IMG_0068 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr

*** Continued in Next Post ***

Discovering A Whole New World of Disney - An October Photo Safari 2013: Trip Report /PTR
A Solo Trip to Disneyland 28 years in the Making! A Trip Report for October 16 and 17th, 2012
Our First Magical Poly Vacation! April 14-21, 2012 - Trip Report/ Live Report/ PTR

Old 03-27-2013, 10:03 PM   #334
DaveinFallsChurch
DIS Veteran

DC Tour 3/27/2013 Part II

IMG_0086 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr

IMG_0090 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr

The museum currently has a special exhibition on Nam June Paik's work but unfortunately they don't allow photography for any of their special exhibitions. All I can say is that it is really well done with a lot of background stories and pictures to go along with his art work. This one is part of the museum's permanent collection and was exhibited in the modern hall so I could take a couple of pictures.

IMG_0082 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr

IMG_0084 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr

I spent a good couple of hours in the modern section. Just love it. I went back out to the main hallway on the third floor. This is one of the windows looking out. The building you see is the National Archives.

IMG_0094 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr

I wandered over to the other side of the building and found the Luce Foundation Center for American Art. Once again, the interior architecture was beautiful.

IMG_0095 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr

IMG_0097 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr

Let me just say that the collection they have just in this section rivals many other museums both in quantity and quality. It was really well done and impressive. After spending another 30 minutes here, I made my way down to the second floor of the museum.

IMG_0100 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr

IMG_0102 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr

I walked over to the Portrait Museum side of the building and entered the Presidential Portrait Exhibit. The two museums weave in and out of each other so it actually feels like a single museum when you're actually inside and going through the exhibits. This exhibit of president portraits was another favorite experience of mine.

The famous George Washington portrait resides here.

IMG_0104 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr

IMG_0106 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr

IMG_0111 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr

Around 3:45pm, I really needed to sit down and take a break so I grabbed a chair and a table in the atrium and just relaxed for about 30 minutes. The atrium ceiling.

IMG_0118 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr

Afterwards, I went back to the American Art Museum and found their Civil War exhibit. This was another special exhibit so couldn't take any photos but I loved it. Around 5pm, I exited the museum and on my way out saw this which I thought was pretty clever.

IMG_0125 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr

After one visit, the American Art Museum is now my favorite one in all of the DC museums. I can see myself going back a few more times and once the kids get a little older, will definitely have to start taking them there.

I had one more stop for the day planned for dinner at a restaurant called Rasika West End that serves Indian cuisine. This is a "spinoff" restaurant from the very highly rated Rasika located near the White House. The original Rasika is extremely popular so I was not able to snag a ressie. The West End was located a couple of blocks north of George Washington University so I took the Metro a few stops down and walked over to the restaurant. I was one of the first people to be seated, but the place filled out rather quickly by 6pm mostly with the pre-theater crowd for the nearby Kennedy Center. It had a very trendy interior.

I knew ahead of time what I was going to order after researching the menu and what other people have said online. For the appetizer, I ordered the Palak Chaat which is what every single person online said was a must.

It's a spinach dish with yogurt and other lovely Indian spices that I couldn't tell you the names of. What you can't tell from the picture is that the spinach leaves are actually gently fried and is crunchy! It was as good as advertised!

For the entree, I ordered a single Tandori Lamb Chop. I was still pretty full from my lunch outing so didn't think I could handle much more food. But the lamb chop was very well done. Very tender at medium rare. As I was finishing it, I was regretting not ordering a second one.

Finally, for dessert I ordered the Apple Jalebi that comes with a side of cardamom ice cream. It was also very very good.

I left the restaurant very satisfied. On my way to the Metro station, passed through Washington Circle.

IMG_0127 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr

Arrived home a little after 8pm. Had such a great outing and now I need to head to bed. I'm planning on waking up at 4:30am in the morning and taking the Metro back out to DC to catch the sunrise at Lincoln Memorial!

Old 03-28-2013, 10:43 AM   #335
khertz
Proud member of the WHO DAT NATION!!

Beautiful snow pictures! So so different than when we wake up to snow in Louisiana. It is usually a light dusting on the grass that melts when the sun comes up!

I can't WAIT to see the new Castle show! So excited to see the Tangled lanterns, my favorite scene from that movie!!

A DC staycation sounds so fun. When DH and I went in 2010, we weren't able to take a ton of time off, and we were driving over 2 days each way, so it didn't leave a lot of time to actually spend in DC. We were really only able to hit the main highlights. Unfortunately the Portrait Gallery got cut from the short list, and we also didn't make it into the National Archives, two things I would have liked to do. We did go to the Old Post Office though and got some photos from the top! That was one of my favorite things that we did, and it was a more spur of the moment type thing. I look forward to seeing your pictures of the Lincoln Memorial at sunrise! I'm sure that is a stunning sight to take in. Hopefully we can get back to DC one of these days, hopefully before Paxton is old enough to think it is "boring."
JULY 1994 // Offsite & Universal Studios & Busch Gardens | APRIL 1998 // All Star Music & Universal Studios |FEBRUARY 2001 // All Star Music & Universal | MARCH 2003 // All Star Music & Universal // Hard Rock Hotel | FEBRUARY 2004 // All Star Music & Universal // Royal Pacific & Sea World | OCTOBER 2007 (Disneymoon!) // Port Orleans French Quarter & Universal Studios // Royal Pacific | DECEMBER 2009 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/ TR | JULY/AUGUST 2010 // Wyndham Cypress Palms TR | NOVEMBER 2011 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/TR | MAY 2012 // Disneyland // Wyndham Dolphin's Cove TR | AUGUST 2012 // Disneyland 5 Year Anniversary Trip // Peacock Suites TR | OCTOBER 2012 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/TR | OCTOBER 2013 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek & Universal // Royal Pacific PTR/"I Wanna See My Castle!" October 2013 TR | MAY 2014 // Wilderness Lodge Adventures at 40"! May 2014 TR
Old 03-28-2013, 01:41 PM   #336
DaveinFallsChurch
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by khertz View Post
Beautiful snow pictures! So so different than when we wake up to snow in Louisiana. It is usually a light dusting on the grass that melts when the sun comes up!
We had one of those during the three years living in Houston. The snow and ice was no where as exciting as trying to dodge the drivers on the road a lot of whom didn't know what to do!

Quote:
I can't WAIT to see the new Castle show! So excited to see the Tangled lanterns, my favorite scene from that movie!!
I definitely like the new castle show a lot more than the old one. There's also a Wreck It Ralph projection too!

Quote:
A DC staycation sounds so fun. When DH and I went in 2010, we weren't able to take a ton of time off, and we were driving over 2 days each way, so it didn't leave a lot of time to actually spend in DC. We were really only able to hit the main highlights. Unfortunately the Portrait Gallery got cut from the short list, and we also didn't make it into the National Archives, two things I would have liked to do. We did go to the Old Post Office though and got some photos from the top! That was one of my favorite things that we did, and it was a more spur of the moment type thing. I look forward to seeing your pictures of the Lincoln Memorial at sunrise! I'm sure that is a stunning sight to take in. Hopefully we can get back to DC one of these days, hopefully before Paxton is old enough to think it is "boring."
DW's cousin was in town for a conference a couple of weeks ago and asked us if there would be enough things to do when she brings her kids back for 3-4 days. I told her absolutely! In fact, one could easily plan out an entire week of activities including a couple of side trips. I think there's a lot of things for your DS here. You should absolutely let me know when you're putting together your trip to DC and would be happy to help out!

Old 03-28-2013, 02:07 PM   #337
afwdwfan
DIS Dad #460
You should always make room for a loophole when you need it

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinFallsChurch View Post
I love that!

Well, that is one of the Smithsonian museums I've never been in. I was in DC twice over the past year for about 2-3 days each time, and unfortunately didn't have time to see anything other than the Air & Space Museum both times and a night time tour of the monuments one evening. I think both trips I basically had a 2 or 3 hour window open one afternoon and the reason Air & Space won out was because it was like a half block from our hotel.

Truly though, I love DC and I've been out there a few times. 3 of the times I was traveling alone for work related trips so I kind of relate to your experience. Only I don't know my way around near as well, so I stuck mainly to things adjacent to the mall.

You're right about the Metro thing being confusing at first, but once you figure it out, it is a great transportation system.
Old 03-28-2013, 02:35 PM   #338
Harters2WDW
Mouseketeer

Quote:
DW and the kids left for Ohio today to spend the rest of the week and Easter weekend with my in-laws. Originally, I was suppose to go as well but it turned out that it was my turn to cover the weekend at the hospital so I had to stay behind. To make the best of the situation, I decided to still take today, tomorrow, and Friday off and put together an itinerary for my staycation in our DC area. So here's what I was able to experience today!

After seeing off my family as they started their drive to Ohio, I drove and parked at the Metro station by our home. As I entered the station, saw a large group of people congregating in front of the ticket machines who I would bet were not locals. It's a familiar sight especially during mid-morning to midday hours at Metro stations. The automated machines are antiquated and very difficult to navigate especially for first time users. I remember being thoroughly confused the first time bought a ticket from these machines.

Surprised I am not in that photo -- my daughters and I were thoroughly confused buying our Metro tickets -- we come up often from Richmond, but it's just not an intuitive process!

Wow, it was busy in the city! We were up to see Indiana practice at the Verizon Center.

Great reports -- awesome photos!!
March 2009 Coronado Springs * March 2011 Caribbean Beach Resort * August 2012 Pop Century * June 2013 Port Orleans Riverside * Thanksgiving 2013 All-Star Movies * July 2014 All-Star Sports * March 2015 Disney Dream

Follow our Disney adventures on Instagram #Harters2WDW
Old 03-28-2013, 04:15 PM   #339
DaveinFallsChurch
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by afwdwfan View Post
Well, that is one of the Smithsonian museums I've never been in. I was in DC twice over the past year for about 2-3 days each time, and unfortunately didn't have time to see anything other than the Air & Space Museum both times and a night time tour of the monuments one evening. I think both trips I basically had a 2 or 3 hour window open one afternoon and the reason Air & Space won out was because it was like a half block from our hotel.
I think the reason I hadn't visited the American Art Museum sooner are similar to yours. Air and Space is located conveniently along the mall with the other popular museums like American History and Natural History. Easy to find and convenient. American Art/Portrait is located several blocks up north right by Verizon Center.

Quote:
Truly though, I love DC and I've been out there a few times. 3 of the times I was traveling alone for work related trips so I kind of relate to your experience. Only I don't know my way around near as well, so I stuck mainly to things adjacent to the mall.
There are still pockets of neighborhoods that I am discovering now. Yesterday and today I tried restaurants in the West End part of town - never knew there were all these luxury hotels and great restaurants clustered together in that area!

Quote:
You're right about the Metro thing being confusing at first, but once you figure it out, it is a great transportation system.
I love the Metro as a whole. As long as the Dupont Circle escalators don't break down, it's all good.

Old 03-28-2013, 04:21 PM   #340
DaveinFallsChurch
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harters2WDW View Post
Surprised I am not in that photo -- my daughters and I were thoroughly confused buying our Metro tickets -- we come up often from Richmond, but it's just not an intuitive process!

Wow, it was busy in the city! We were up to see Indiana practice at the Verizon Center.

Great reports -- awesome photos!!
Thanks! Got another update coming up later tonight from my sunrise/morning tour of the memorials.

Yes, the city is packed! Noticed again today.

I take it you're a Hoosier! I went to U of Minn, so during tournament time I become a Big 10 fan. This morning as I was visiting the Vietnam Veterans Memorial, four guys who appeared to be from the Hoosiers basketball team walked by. Not sure if they were players or student assistants but I went ahead and wished them a good game tonight!

Yesterday, as I was waiting for my reservation time for dinner I was hanging out at the lounge of the Renaissance Hotel when the Miami team returned from their practice. Had no idea they were staying at that hotel.

Old 03-28-2013, 07:17 PM   #341
DaveinFallsChurch
DIS Veteran

DC Tour 3/28/2013 Part I

Today I had the opportunity to try something I had been wanting to do for a long time. Watch the sunrise from the Lincoln Memorial. Of course, attempting this required waking up at 4:30am. Weather websites were pointing to a 7:00am sunrise which meant that I needed to arrive at the memorial before 6:30 to catch all of the gorgeous colors that usually precedes the actual sunrise. Getting to Lincoln Memorial is always tricky especially for someone like me who has extreme parking-phobia inside the District. I will go to extreme lengths to avoid driving into the District if thereís a whiff of the possibility that finding a decent parking spot will be difficult. And I am fully aware how irrational this can get! I think this fear has its roots in from the time I pulled in to a garage gate in DC that turned out to be contract parking only. Way to put signs up at the entrance of the driveway people! As I was staring at the gate that wouldnít open obviously because I didnít have a card, another car pulled up right behind me and boxed me in. There was an-ever-so-small room to attempt a u-turn so I went all Austin Powers and performed a dozen or so inch-forward and inch-backwards maneuvers. DW was so embarrassed. The kids were laughing it up. I didnít have the courage to look at the reaction of the driver behind me but Iím sure it was a mixture of annoyance and frustration. Or maybe the phobia is rooted in all those times impatient cabbies honked at me while Iím trying to perfect a parallel parking on a one way street on the LEFT side of the road. HATE doing left sided parallel parking. Ok, got really sidetracked there.

Bottomline was that on a weekday during spring break week, I reeeeeally wasnít feeling it and I took the Metro. The slight problem with that is there are no Metro stations close to the Lincoln Memorial. You either have to walk from Arlington Cemetery Station or Foggy Bottom Station both of which is about a mile out. I ended up picking Arlington Cemetery. Arrived at the station at 6 am and walked across the Memorial Bridge with the Lincoln Memorial in sight.

From the Memorial Bridge

IMG_0129 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr

The bridge was practically empty of pedestrians. There were a couple of people in their Army uniforms with giant backpacks walking across the bridge with me on the other side. The full moon was still up but slowly fading.
When I arrived at the Lincoln Memorial, it was practically empty.

IMG_0136 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr

There were two people at the bottom of the stairs who had set up their tripods. It looked like they were putting together of a time-lapse picture or video for the sunrise. At the top of the stairs, a lone tourist sat waiting for the sunrise. I climbed up the stairs and walked inside of the memorial. It was completely empty. And it was so peaceful.

IMG_0140 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr

IMG_0143 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr

You never see an empty Lincoln Memorial during regular hours. You know how it feels to walk down Main Street before the park opens. This was 10 times that feeling. It was just me and President Lincoln in his almost imposing but inspiring pose.

Around 6:20am, I looked out towards the Reflection Pool and caught the first glimpses of colors filling the horizon.

IMG_0142 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr

It was absolutely beautiful. Well, if I was being picky the scaffolding around the bottom half of the Washington Monument was the only little glitch. Sort of like the crane next to Cinderellaís Castle when they put up and take off the Holiday lights. But the colors of the sky were absolutely mesmerizing that I barely had time to notice. The colors slowly changed from red to orange to yellow as the sun started making its way above the horizon.

IMG_0156 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr

IMG_0157 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr

IMG_0164 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr

I really lucked out with the weather. Mostly clear skies but just enough clouds to reflect off the colors.

IMG_0176 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr

IMG_0185 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr

By the time the sun rose at 7am, there were a good number of people with me. Most of them had photography equipment. One guy was practically bouncing from one corner of the Reflection Pool with his tripod to the other. Several joggers stopped to take a breather and take in the sight. And for a few minutes, I stopped taking pictures and just immersed myself in the experience watching the sun slowly rise. Until I could no longer stare because, well, youíre not suppose to stare at the sun!

Hereís another tip if you ever get to try this. Once the sun comes up and you can no longer look towards the east because you forgot to bring your sunglasses like I did, turn around and walk back up to the Lincoln Memorial. The statue of President Lincoln usually doesnít get much natural light for most of the day since he tucked all the way to the back of the memorial. The exception is during this short window of time right after the sun has risen when the sun shines directly and straight inside the memorial. The statue was bathed in orange and yellow light. It was remarkable.

IMG_0188 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr

IMG_0190 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr

IMG_0195 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr

IMG_0200 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr

I decided to head next to the Korean War Veterans Memorial which is on the south side (If youíre like me, itís to your right when youíre looking towards the direction of the Washington Monument) of the Reflection Pool near the Lincoln Memorial. Last time I visited this memorial it was at night which gives it a very different look. The memorial is primarily composed of two parts. A long granite wall with images of soldiers is on one side. Next to it are 19 statues of soldiers from a patrol squad in full combat gear.

IMG_0208 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr

IMG_0209 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr

IMG_0218 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr

IMG_0221 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr

IMG_0228 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr

There is also a fountain pool at the other end but it was turned off for seasonal reasons Iím guessing. I donít know if it was just me, but this was one of the memorials I didnít know about until I moved here. And when I ask our friends and families who come to visit, they usually are unaware of this memorial despite having been completed 18 years ago. Now, it is a memorial I visit the most.

Next Up: Vietnam Veterans Memorial, Tidal Basin, and White House

Last edited by DaveinFallsChurch; 10-18-2013 at 08:47 PM.
Old 03-28-2013, 08:35 PM   #342
khertz
Proud member of the WHO DAT NATION!!

Quote:
We had one of those during the three years living in Houston. The snow and ice was no where as exciting as trying to dodge the drivers on the road a lot of whom didn't know what to do!
This is totally us! One year it snowed on Christmas and everyone was so excited for a white Christmas until we realized no one could drive in the snow and then no one came to the house for Christmas dinner. It was a white but QUIET Christmas, for sure.

Quote:
I definitely like the new castle show a lot more than the old one. There's also a Wreck It Ralph projection too!
CAN'T WAIT! We love Wreck It Ralph!!!

Quote:
DW's cousin was in town for a conference a couple of weeks ago and asked us if there would be enough things to do when she brings her kids back for 3-4 days. I told her absolutely! In fact, one could easily plan out an entire week of activities including a couple of side trips. I think there's a lot of things for your DS here. You should absolutely let me know when you're putting together your trip to DC and would be happy to help out!
I definitely will! We did a lot in just those few days, but we missed so much! I had really wanted to go to Alexandria and we never had time to do that. There is a Wyndham resort there, but it's smaller so it was all booked up by the time we decided we were taking the trip. We ended up staying in National Harbor, MD, and it was gorgeous! But there is still so many things I wanted to see. We also went at the end of May and it was REALLY hot and I was pregnant so I didn't get to enjoy as much as I would have another time of year. I hope if we can get there again we can go in the Spring or Fall.

Oops, got caught up in replying to the quoted post and forgot to say, those photos of the Memorial are breathtaking! I'm sure it was totally worth the dedication necessary to get there that early and capture it. I did lol at your parking story as I played it in my mind! We were both freaked out about driving there too, and actually only did it once to get to a restaurant outside the city that DH wanted to try, but it ended up being in a SCARY part of town and I wouldn't even get out of the car so we drove back to National Harbor and had dinner there instead!! I remember making a note of a Metro station near sketchy restaurant and DH joked that we should have taken it there. When I went back to work to talk to my friend who lived in DC for a few years, I asked her, "What would you think if I told you we had taken the Metro to xx stop to have dinner?" And I'll never forget the look of shock on her face! She was relieved when I told her we didn't actually do that!!!
JULY 1994 // Offsite & Universal Studios & Busch Gardens | APRIL 1998 // All Star Music & Universal Studios |FEBRUARY 2001 // All Star Music & Universal | MARCH 2003 // All Star Music & Universal // Hard Rock Hotel | FEBRUARY 2004 // All Star Music & Universal // Royal Pacific & Sea World | OCTOBER 2007 (Disneymoon!) // Port Orleans French Quarter & Universal Studios // Royal Pacific | DECEMBER 2009 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/ TR | JULY/AUGUST 2010 // Wyndham Cypress Palms TR | NOVEMBER 2011 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/TR | MAY 2012 // Disneyland // Wyndham Dolphin's Cove TR | AUGUST 2012 // Disneyland 5 Year Anniversary Trip // Peacock Suites TR | OCTOBER 2012 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/TR | OCTOBER 2013 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek & Universal // Royal Pacific PTR/"I Wanna See My Castle!" October 2013 TR | MAY 2014 // Wilderness Lodge Adventures at 40"! May 2014 TR
Old 03-29-2013, 04:01 PM   #343
DaveinFallsChurch
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I definitely will! We did a lot in just those few days, but we missed so much! I had really wanted to go to Alexandria and we never had time to do that. There is a Wyndham resort there, but it's smaller so it was all booked up by the time we decided we were taking the trip. We ended up staying in National Harbor, MD, and it was gorgeous! But there is still so many things I wanted to see. We also went at the end of May and it was REALLY hot and I was pregnant so I didn't get to enjoy as much as I would have another time of year. I hope if we can get there again we can go in the Spring or Fall.

Oops, got caught up in replying to the quoted post and forgot to say, those photos of the Memorial are breathtaking! I'm sure it was totally worth the dedication necessary to get there that early and capture it. I did lol at your parking story as I played it in my mind! We were both freaked out about driving there too, and actually only did it once to get to a restaurant outside the city that DH wanted to try, but it ended up being in a SCARY part of town and I wouldn't even get out of the car so we drove back to National Harbor and had dinner there instead!! I remember making a note of a Metro station near sketchy restaurant and DH joked that we should have taken it there. When I went back to work to talk to my friend who lived in DC for a few years, I asked her, "What would you think if I told you we had taken the Metro to xx stop to have dinner?" And I'll never forget the look of shock on her face! She was relieved when I told her we didn't actually do that!!!
National Harbor has probably changed quite a bit since you were there with more restaurants/shops opening. They also just opened the relocated Children's Museum. We haven't tried it yet but it does sound like the size of the museum is quite small compared to the ones in other cities. Plus, they just got a ballot measure passed that will allow a casino hotel to be built there so stay tuned.

Now I'm really curious to which restaurant and which neighborhood your DH was looking at.

Old 03-29-2013, 06:16 PM   #344
Harters2WDW
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Thanks! Got another update coming up later tonight from my sunrise/morning tour of the memorials.

Yes, the city is packed! Noticed again today.

I take it you're a Hoosier! I went to U of Minn, so during tournament time I become a Big 10 fan. This morning as I was visiting the Vietnam Veterans Memorial, four guys who appeared to be from the Hoosiers basketball team walked by. Not sure if they were players or student assistants but I went ahead and wished them a good game tonight!

Yesterday, as I was waiting for my reservation time for dinner I was hanging out at the lounge of the Renaissance Hotel when the Miami team returned from their practice. Had no idea they were staying at that hotel.
Yes, a Hoosier! Ah, Minnesota had a great team and I am sad to see they let Tubby go! Tanks for the good vibes for the Hoosiers (too bad it ended poorly). I love how Big Ten school grads cheer for other Big Ten schools! That's what I am doing now! You're giving me some great ideas for future DC trips -- in addition to feeding my Disney love!
March 2009 Coronado Springs * March 2011 Caribbean Beach Resort * August 2012 Pop Century * June 2013 Port Orleans Riverside * Thanksgiving 2013 All-Star Movies * July 2014 All-Star Sports * March 2015 Disney Dream

Old 03-29-2013, 06:18 PM   #345
Harters2WDW
Mouseketeer

Oh.my.gooodness. Those are some of the best photos I have ever seen of the monuments. Breath taking and incredible. I can't even imagine being alone with Lincoln. Wow. Gorgeous. Incredible. Beautiful....you get the point! I love them!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: