Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-26-2013, 01:48 PM   #91
tvguy
Sailed on:The Mermoz, Norway, Nordic Prince, Sovereign of the Seas, Amsterdam, Magic & Pride of America

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northstar View Post
The mystery here is where the block heater is located. I believe cars sold in the frozen northern reaches, ie Canadian Prairies, have the block heater inside the engine, not installed as an accessory mounted on the dash.

Wikipedia entry on engine block heaters: "A block heater warms an engine to increase the starting speed of the vehicle as well as warm up the vehicle faster than it normally would in cold weather. The most common type is an electric heating element connected through a power cord often routed through the vehicle's grille. The block heater may replace one of the engine's core plugs, or may be installed in line with one of the radiator or heater hoses"

I just know, when I see a car with a plug hanging out the front grille, it's going to have a license plate from Saskatchewan or Manitoba!
Yes, an engine block heater goes in the engine, and the interior heater goes either on top of the dash or in the footwell of the passenger side, but both are connected to the same plug hanging out the front. At least on the cars owned by my family in Saskatchewan. Although I think my Uncle did not put an interior heater in his new 2007 Grand Marquis because it has U.S. smog equipment on it, and the car heater warms up very quickly if the car is plugged in and kept in a garage.

It also struck me how many of my family members in Canada now own Crown Victorias and Grand Marquis (which are no longer being made). My uncle the GM fan, and my Uncle the Chrysler fan joined my Uncle the Ford fan in buying them when GM and Chrysler stopped making full size, rear wheel drive cars.
Old 01-26-2013, 05:21 PM   #92
winteriscoming
Earning My Ears

I'm with the people who warm up their cars if it's really cold. There is nothing like the feeling of sitting on your front seat and hearing a crunchy sound because it is frozen!
But, if it's really really cold I too plug in my truck at night. It makes warming up the vehicle much faster in the dark early am. When I go to work and it's really really cold I also plug in there.
Along the same line of thought when I go to Safeway I do what everyone else does (although leaving a car to idle for more than 10 mnutes is supposed to earn you a ticket), I leave my car running, use my other key to lock the door and go run into buy my groceries.

If I'm helping out with the kids at a local arena for a long evening etc, after about 3-4 hours, a parent will volunteer to collect car keys and go start the vehicles and leave them runnning for a bit. Then they come back in and return the keys.

Got to love life on the Northern Canadian Prairies!!
(But our summers are awesome!!!!!!!!!)
winteriscoming is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-26-2013, 07:40 PM   #93
anniemck
DIS Veteran

Totally makes me happy I live in south central Florida. I could not deal with the temperatures y'all are talking about. Not unless i am on vacation that is, and then I better have a hot tub nearby.

Official Disney Freak...
Presidents Day Weekend Twirlmania 2000-2012
Halloween 2011
Mothers Day, August, September, Osborne Family Lights 2012
DCL Wonder March 2013
15 cruises on other lines since 2007
6 trips to Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge since 2009
Love vacations...
anniemck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 07:56 PM   #94
lizabu
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northstar

The mystery here is where the block heater is located. I believe cars sold in the frozen northern reaches, ie Canadian Prairies, have the block heater inside the engine, not installed as an accessory mounted on the dash.

Wikipedia entry on engine block heaters: "A block heater warms an engine to increase the starting speed of the vehicle as well as warm up the vehicle faster than it normally would in cold weather. The most common type is an electric heating element connected through a power cord often routed through the vehicle's grille. The block heater may replace one of the engine's core plugs, or may be installed in line with one of the radiator or heater hoses"

I just know, when I see a car with a plug hanging out the front grille, it's going to have a license plate from Saskatchewan or Manitoba!
Yes. The heater goes under the hood. Not inside the car. You don't always have them installed. You can get ones you just place under the hood and plug in. I live in Ontario and I don't see them here as often but when I was a kid every car had them. I think it goes back to posters talking about the modern engines out now. With the older engines if you didn't have a block heater your car wasn't going to start at all.
lizabu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 10:06 PM   #95
clarkshel
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by js

I'm sure you wondered if you would get backlash for saying this but I just want to say "back at ya!" I do the same thing! I HATE the cold and before I shut my car off once I get home, I put the heat all the way up and the defroster if there is a chance of snow/ice.

Stay Warm!
Ya, screw the environment. Your comfort is so much more important than saving the environment. To h*ll with clean air. :<rolleyes>
clarkshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 10:12 PM   #96
clarkshel
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CdnCarrie

Never seen anything like that before. No one around here on the Canadian Prairies has such a thing.
So you have seen all the vehicles on the Canadian prairies and personally checked for one of these inside heaters? WOW, pretty impressive. I live on the Canadian prairies and both my neighbors have these. I guess you must have missed hear vehicles during our search. Lol
clarkshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 11:22 PM   #97
tvguy
Sailed on:The Mermoz, Norway, Nordic Prince, Sovereign of the Seas, Amsterdam, Magic & Pride of America

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkshel View Post
So you have seen all the vehicles on the Canadian prairies and personally checked for one of these inside heaters? WOW, pretty impressive. I live on the Canadian prairies and both my neighbors have these. I guess you must have missed hear vehicles during our search. Lol

I bet you put gravy on your french fries too.

Old 01-26-2013, 11:30 PM   #98
Granny square
Always planning a trip!

When I remember to I heat my car. She and I both function better when warmed a bit.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: