Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-19-2012, 10:23 AM   #1
4forMe
DIS Veteran

middle school homework/grading issue - WWYD

My DS has been having a difficult year with school. The problem is with disorganization and inattentiveness regarding homework. He fails to turn in assignments (even though they are completed) as well as completely misplaces worksheets which then results in a 0 for a grade (late homework not accepted). The last 2 weeks there have been 4 problematic assignments. Also, if you do not put your name on your homework, it is a 0. (The one teacher throws it in the garbage, even if it's been completed). At the beginning of the year, it was a deduction of points for not having your name - I just learned it is now a zero. The last 2 weeks, there have been 4 problematic assignments resulting in a 0. Two weeks into the new quarter, he has 2 C's as his average grade due to these homework problems.

We have talked to him about staying organized, etc, but nothing seems to help. I would like to conference with his teachers, but I get the feeling from the tone of their emails that they would not be receptive to this.

I will also say that I thought of having him tested for ADHD two years ago due to similar issues (his dad and brother have ADHD); however, it wasn't really affecting his school performance the way it is now.

Anyone have suggestions?
4forMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 10:44 AM   #2
Mkrop
I just cant go on demand
Hi my name is Mkop and I am a cart leaver!

What are you doing to teach him organizational habits? Have you provided him with a folder or other types of ways to organized his work by subject?

Kids dont just pop out of the womb with organization skills, they need to be taught.

Not putting a name on a paper, something that simple, would mean he would lost priviledges.

I have a 14 year old and yes he has laspses and forgets stuff, but this would be unacceptable.

Others would have him suffer the consquences of being disorganized with the bad grades...that is not my approach, I would treat him like a little kid and work on getting him organized until he can prove to me he is more responsible.

You can look into ADHD, my youngest has ADD, but I dont think the pill is going to magically make the kid more organized and responsible. The medicine has helped with focus, but even my youngest still needs to LEARN to be organized.

In our house, not turning in assignments in unacceptable...if you dont understand a subject, that is different and we will help anyway we can.
June 2008 Contemporary
Dec 2008 Boardwalk Inn
June 2009 Disneyland Hotel and DCA
Jan 2010 DVC Boardwalk Villas
Dec 2010 DVC BLT
July-Aug 2011 Disneyland Park Vue Inn
Dec 2011 DVC BW
July 2012 DVC BC
Dec 2013 DVC AKL/BW
Aug 2014 DVC DCA
Mkrop is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-19-2012, 10:57 AM   #3
shortbun
Peacenik

1. That's just crap that a teacher would throw a kid's work in the trash. I understand that teachers get frustrated but they are supposed to be preparing kids for life. I have never worked in an office where someone threw anyone's work in the trash because it was anonymously done. Those teachers are mean and need to retire.

2. They should be willing to conference with you. It's part of their jobs. Call the principal.

3. While you're talking to the principal, ask them how to begin the process for an IEP or whatever process they have to give kids with disabilities extra help.

4. See your pediatrician and arrange further testing or look into meds-either chemical or naturopathic for ADD/ADHD. Your son needs more than a lesson in organization. Some people's brains just spin when they struggle to get organized. If you can calm his brain, he may have a much better performance at school. Sometimes, just a cup of coffee can make a real difference but you need to research this because I'm obviously not a doctor/naturopath.

USE IT UP, WEAR IT OUT, MAKE IT DO OR DO WITHOUT.

IF YOUR UPKEEP EXCEEDS YOUR INCOME THEN YOUR OUTGO WILL BE YOUR DOWNFALL.
shortbun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 11:02 AM   #4
si-am
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortbun View Post

3. While you're talking to the principal, ask them how to begin the process for an IEP or whatever process they have to give kids with disabilities extra help.
Wouldn't you actually have to have a disability first?

Organizational issues crop up frequently with boys this age; I don't know that it's necessarily a sign of an underlying issue.
Old 04-19-2012, 11:06 AM   #5
4forMe
DIS Veteran

I have tried to work with him on organizational issues. For example, he has a portfolio that all his homework and assignments should be place in.

He has received loss of privileges anytime he has received a 0 on the homework. The most recent 0 was for not having his name on his quiz in class. Also, it was taken 2 weeks ago, but I just learned of this problem as his one teacher does not put in the grades or return work in a timely manner.

Any suggestions you have for reminding him to put his name on his paper would be more than welcome as this has been a problem all year long. It hasn't affected his grades before as he received a minor point deduction, not a 0. He is in the honors program and kids that end the quarter with a grade of C in any core subjects are often dropped from the program. He is overall a very good student; however, he has organizational problems that appear to be getting worse.

For the record, my other son with the ADHD diagnosis doesn't "pop a pill". However, he does have accomodations that allow him to be successful in the classroom (ie. the teacher checking and signing off on his assignment notebook to make sure he wrote everything down, etc.).
4forMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 11:10 AM   #6
kamik86
DIS Veteran

I would definitely set up a system for him. My niece needed this when she was younger. Her mom unfortunately was also not the most organized so then her homework would go in her folder but neither of them would check and make sure it ever made it to her bag to get to school!

I would definitely do something like all assignments go in a folder and he brings them home in that folder (always stays in his bag). Maybe even organize the folder by when things are due if everything isn't always due the next day. Then when he gets home he works on things in the folder (in order if by due date) and then they either go in the other pocket or a different folder that will always go to school and be with him so he will always have his homework to turn in.

Then he just needs to get in the habit of checking to be sure his name is on it just before he hands it in.
Old 04-19-2012, 11:18 AM   #7
declansdad
DIS Dad#639
Still waiting for his first one

Quote:
1. That's just crap that a teacher would throw a kid's work in the trash. I understand that teachers get frustrated but they are supposed to be preparing kids for life. I have never worked in an office where someone threw anyone's work in the trash because it was anonymously done. Those teachers are mean and need to retire.

2. They should be willing to conference with you. It's part of their jobs. Call the principal.

4. See your pediatrician and arrange further testing or look into meds-either chemical or naturopathic for ADD/ADHD. Your son needs more than a lesson in organization. Some people's brains just spin when they struggle to get organized. If you can calm his brain, he may have a much better performance at school. Sometimes, just a cup of coffee can make a real difference but you need to research this because I'm obviously not a doctor/naturopath.
At this point in the year throwing away something that has been submitted without a name is not mean, it is the consequences of the action. From what the OP said, this is a change from earlier in the year and by now, students should be responsible enough to remember their name.

OP didn't say they wouldn't conference; there is no need to call the principal.

Not every kid who fails to turn in work has a disability and it shouldn't be the default reaction to problems in school. The OP wrote her son was having a difficult year and he is in middle school. This was an issue once before but not an on-going thing. Sometimes kids just screw around; for me it was grades 4 and 6. I did things similar to what the OP described but I can assure you I don't have ADHD, ADD or any other LD. I was just screwing around and maybe would have been diagnosed with LAZY.
ASM - March 2004 --- POP - July 2005 --- POP and the Poly - August 2007 --- CBR - Aug 2008 --- POFQ August 2009--- POP Christmas 2010--- POFQ Aug 2011 --- Disney Dream and MK March 2013 --- EPCOT F&G March 2013 --- Pop July 2013 --- AK March 2014

me dw (pooksma) ds
DIS Dads Club Member #639

Our WDW photos on Photobucket, Our WDW photos on Flickr

declansdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 11:23 AM   #8
Piper
DIS Veteran

If there is no name on the paper, how would the teacher know whose work it is? Organization begins at home. These habits are not inborn--they do have to be taught. Turning in work needs to be a habit.

Does the teacher have a specific place in the room for the homework to be placed at the beginning of the class? Does s/he ask for it? It is up to your son to follow the procedures. When he is in high school and (especially) college, he will not be mollycoddled. Middle school is the perfect place for him to discover how to be organized.....and the consequences for not doing what he is supposed to do!

He should have a specific place to keep the homework he does for each teacher and then form the habit of turning it in!! It appears that he doesn't care about his grades.

I had a teacher in 7th grade who gave me a zero on the first day of school because the comma in my date was too large. It only took one time. I put forth the effort to make sure that papers were not sloppy and had the correct heading on them. I knew what would happen at home if I didn't get good grades!
Piper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 11:27 AM   #9
mjkacmom
DIS Veteran

OP, I'm sure you know how genetic ADD is. DH is undiagnosed, and we strongly suspected ds14 at an early age. However, he was always bright enough to get by (with straight A's). His teachers said he was fine, so far, until 6th grade, when his math grades started to go down, for stupid mistakes. He just couldnt' focus, and in other subjects, was always leaving stuff out of projects and reports.

We started medicating in the spring of 6th, and it made a huge difference. He's now in 8th, all honors classes, and pretty much an A student. The change was pretty dramatic. He gets himself up every morning, makes breakfast, takes his pill, and never forgets any of his homework, forms, instrument, etc.

It's so nice not to have the daily battles. I was told that the combination of ADD and puberty can be a disaster.
Old 04-19-2012, 11:31 AM   #10
luvmy3
When I drink I find its easier to watch my children because I see all 3 of them double, so all 6 of them of them take all my attention

He is organized at home?

ETA My ds was very much like that last year. I was very concerned about him starting middle school this year because it seemed everything we were doing wasn't helping. I can't even tell you what happened, maybe it was just him maturing a little, but this year has been a complete turn around. He has turned everything in, and while not super organized, he is much better and has managed to keep his grades high enough to be on the high honor roll every quarter so far.
It could just be a phase your ds is going through.
luvmy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 11:39 AM   #11
Too Far From Home
Mouseketeer

Our oldest son did this - a straight A student just stopped paying attention to detail in middle school. He forgot to complete and/or hand in assignments, forgot to put his name on papers and tests (also got zeros, which I think was/is appropriate). Our solution - punishment. We took away his most important thing for a grading period. Amazing how quickly that motivated him to change his behavior.

IMO, you need to discover what is important to your child and make him understand that he doesn't get what he wants unless he meets his responsibilities.
Too Far From Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 11:47 AM   #12
sam_gordon
DIS Veteran

This is not a problem with the teachers, it's a problem with the student.

As far as what I would do... start yanking privileges based on grades... maybe a 0 on homework means going to bed an hour early. A 0 on a quiz means no cell phone or computer for a week. A 0 on a test means no cell phone or computer for a month. You've got to know what he cares about.

My DD recently had to do a long term project that was originally due before spring break. The first couple weeks after the project was assigned, the teacher reminded them. Then she stopped. A couple days before spring break, the teacher brought it up again and the students complained because they stopped working on the project when she stopped reminding them. So what did the teacher do? Extend the deadline to AFTER spring break! I'm more upset at the teacher for letting the kids slide. Let them fail in MS when grades don't mean anything.
Bay Lake Towers, WDW June 1 - June 6, 2011
Polynesian, WDW Dec. 29, 2008 - Jan. 3, 2009
Wilderness Lodge, WDW, June 2005
Polynesian, WDW Sept. 7 - Sept. 14, 2001
Caribbean Beach, June 1993
sam_gordon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 11:55 AM   #13
rgf207
DIS Veteran

Quote:

1. Agreed. Throwing it in the trash is a little over the top

2. The teachers never said they would not have a conference. The OP said that's what she THINKS they will say. The OP has never asked for the conference.

3. You can't just start the process for the IEP, there needs to be testing done before an IEP will be issued.

4. You need testing before you can get meds for a specific disorder. The OP should speak to her pediatrician about testing for ADHD, don't just start throwing meds at the problem.

ETA: It seems to me like this might be an organization issue, simple as that. I think the OP needs to check and double check all assignments before her DS hands them in and needs to work with him to ensure his name is on everything. Maybe investing in some folders that could be labeled according to class and filing all papers in the folders. Maybe working with the teachers to make sure her DS files the handouts in the correct folder immediately. Education is a joint effort between the teachers and the parents.

It bothers me when people jump right to the IEP path when some simple changes could fix everything.

2002 - Off Site;2004 - Off Site;March 2005 - AKL;Sept 2005 - PoP, POR, ASMo;May 2006 - POR;June 2007 - BCV;June 2008 - SSR; March 2009 - SSR; August 2009 - SSR, AKV; Feb 2010 - VWL; Jun 2010 - BCV; Feb 2011 - AKV; June 2012 - BLT

Last edited by rgf207; 04-19-2012 at 12:02 PM.
rgf207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 12:02 PM   #14
jrmasm
Last time I checked, it was still the thought that counted
Wanna debate that topic?
So elegant but goofy!!

Back when I was in school if you didn't put your name on your paper the teacher would grade it, show you the grade you would have gotten had you put your name on it and then thrown it in the trash. Just throwing it in the trash seems a little nicer to me.

OP, I would not paint the teachers as bad guys to your son. That just gives him an excuse. Make him responsible for his actions or he'll never learn.
Old 04-19-2012, 12:04 PM   #15
Bren's Mom
DIS Veteran

I'd start with a very simple 'double check'.

When homework is done, have some sort of chart. It should list step by step what needs to be done.

#1 Double check your assignment pad, have you done each assignment?
#2 Is your name on each paper?
#3 Are all of the assignments in your homework folder?
#4 Is your homework folder in your backpack?
#5 Is your backpack by the front door? (Or wherever designated.)

Then he needs a laminated card with the same types of questions but related to what needs to be done once he gets to school...if he goes from class to class he needs to learn to check his back at the beginning of each class.

Having a good system doesn't mean you can't also have him evaluated for ADD/ADHD.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: