Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Meets
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-23-2013, 04:08 PM   #916
Mom323
Founding member of FOG

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKW Lover View Post
I'm not following the logic for this. Just how does fewer children on the ship translate to more adults in the adult area? Generally aren't there two adults in a cabin along with any children on regular cruises? So, on a cruise without as many children wouldn't there still be the same number of adults?
Adults with kids tend to spend more time with their kids at the kids pools, kids activities in the open times in the clubs and famiy activities offered around the ship. Adults without kids won't be at mickey or goofy pool but at the adult pool, Cove Cafe and adult bars.
Mom323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 04:10 PM   #917
Chaopolis
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsMork View Post
Not anything like DL/WDW. The only place/time we noticed any crowds on the PC cruise we did was on canal day at the front of the ship. For some reason people think they have to be there to get a "good spot" to see the locks. Our advise is to move around the deck that day and you will see lots and not feel the crowds so much.
We have a Verandah, is it genuinely possible that we wouldn't need to spend that much time on deck to see the locks? Or is it a better view on deck?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsMork View Post
In general, there is so much space on the ship and so many different things going on that we do not feel crowds anywhere. Well, maybe when the Captain is having a reception in the atrium with free drinks.
....you had me at free drinks.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-23-2013, 04:13 PM   #918
Meghatron
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKW Lover

I'm not following the logic for this. Just how does fewer children on the ship translate to more adults in the adult area? Generally aren't there two adults in a cabin along with any children on regular cruises? So, on a cruise without as many children wouldn't there still be the same number of adults?
Same number of adults, maybe, but not as many with children. So more adults at Quiet Cove instead of being spread out with their kids at the Goofy or Mickey Pools, or other activities with their kids. Not everyone's kids go in to the clubs at 9am and stay until 12am, not even mine (although she does shut them down at midnight, LOL).

We are actually looking forward to the population reversal on this cruise and will be taking full advantage of less crowded family and kids' pools.

Meghatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 04:18 PM   #919
Mom323
Founding member of FOG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaopolis View Post
We have a Verandah, is it genuinely possible that we wouldn't need to spend that much time on deck to see the locks? Or is it a better view on deck?

....you had me at free drinks.
We had a verandah on the starboard side. We were on deck in the am for views and the party feel as we went throught the locks. As it got warmer we retreated to the verandah. The starboard side was in the shade in the am and until early afternoon.

We would travel back and forth all day long. Be sure to go to deck three at some point going throught the locks you really get a feel,for how far we drop or rise.
Old 02-23-2013, 04:21 PM   #920
SchneiderFam
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsMork
Not anything like DL/WDW. The only place/time we noticed any crowds on the PC cruise we did was on canal day at the front of the ship. For some reason people think they have to be there to get a "good spot" to see the locks. Our advise is to move around the deck that day and you will see lots and not feel the crowds so much.
We totally had a similar situation when we were in Alaska on the Glacier Day. People spent hours on their feet in the bow of the ship, probably 5 people deep to take pictures of the Glacier. When the ship turned we followed along and watched the Glacier for several minutes. We got all the pictures we wanted while the ship was moving away from the Glacier, there wasn't anyone else there.

I know this situation isn't the same, but there are lots of good views to be had!
SchneiderFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 04:26 PM   #921
aan1701
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKW Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meghatron

Same number of adults, maybe, but not as many with children. So more adults at Quiet Cove instead of being spread out with their kids at the Goofy or Mickey Pools, or other activities with their kids. Not everyone's kids go in to the clubs at 9am and stay until 12am, not even mine (although she does shut them down at midnight, LOL).

We are actually looking forward to the population reversal on this cruise and will be taking full advantage of less crowded family and kids' pools.
Yes, my experiences echo what Meghatron is saying. Because there are far fewer kids the cove seems more crowded than usual. Same with the adult only shows at night. On Hawaii they did a lot of these in the Walt Disney Theater because Wavebands was just way to small. When people don't have to worry about the kids I guess they show up to these things.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
DCL 14 Night Westbound Panama To my House. 5/14/05-5/28/05, DCL 11 Night Southern 9/17/06-9/28/06, 7 Night DCL Western 10/20/07, DCL 15 Night Westbound Panama to my house. 5/10/08-5/25/08, 7 Night to St. Croix for my Birthday 2/28/09, 7 night to the Western 10/17/09, Back to back on the Wonder 10/14/10 and 10/17/10, 15 night Panama Canal to Bring the Wonder to my home and her new Home 1/6/2011. 10/8/2011 Eastern on the Magic. 4/29/12 15 nights to Hawaii and back from my home in Los Angeles, 5/6/13 14 nights from Miami back to my home in Los Angeles via the Panama Canal, Premier Pass holder, DVC Member since 2008.
aan1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 04:38 PM   #922
neg58
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Well, when I traveled the last two times with my kids, I never went to the adult areas (except the Rainforest). Didn't eat in Palos, didn't go to the Cove pool or cafe. Just didn't want to spend time away from my kids (and a lot of the adult areas were crowded because the ship was crowded)

This cruise kids have to go to school, so taking my mother and cousin. It is more likely I'd want to go to the cove pool/cafe, and we're eating brunch at Palos. I will probably do a tasting or two and otherwise use the adult areas. I think a lot more adults cruising without kids will want to work out in the spa, take the classes, hang out in the public areas.

So there are 3 adults in our cabin, no kids. But I do think that these longer cruises have fewer than 1500 people, and our Christmas cruise was 2500+, sold out and maxed out on kids.

Nancy
neg58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 05:42 PM   #923
cruzisme
Earning My Ears

Smile Passengers

I wonder how full this sailing will be. This will be our second PC cruise. Looking forward to seeing it from our verandah but also from deck.
Definitely going down lower deck to get a different look-see ie looking at the walls of the canal hopefully!
cruzisme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 05:58 PM   #924
DVCTigger
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaBabe View Post
GOOD Morning, Happy Cruisers!
Happy Birthday, Mary! (Yet another birthday twin - I was born on the birthday of the little girl for whom my mother babysat. Then my cousins daughter and HER daughter were all born on the same day too!)
Thank you! Really wish I was back at Kidani today, missing my birthday/Valentines trip and it was just over a week ago. Today has been busy taking care of a new knee!
But I do get a chocolate chip banana bread "cake" for dessert tonight that my DS18 is making for me!! Loving that my boys can cook/bake!
DVCTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 06:08 PM   #925
neg58
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruzisme View Post
I wonder how full this sailing will be. This will be our second PC cruise. Looking forward to seeing it from our verandah but also from deck.
Definitely going down lower deck to get a different look-see ie looking at the walls of the canal hopefully!
I spend entirely too much of my time 'dummy booking' this cruise to try and figure out how full it is. In late Jan., there were several days when it said it was sold out or that only the $14,600 suites were available (either 1 or 6, it varied every day). Then a few more cabins became available, usually a Cat. 9A or 9D, or 11C. Then more. For the last two weeks, usually there is availability in all levels of 11, 10, 9, and a few 4A and even fewer 4Bs, plus the 6 suites. I figure there are more than 100 cabins left (most of the categories present 8 cabins when selecting, and 8 is the max that will show so there could be 8 cabins in a cat. remaining or 40; can't tell).

So it looks like we're going to be very top-heavy with much of deck 2 available.

Nancy
neg58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 07:33 PM   #926
Beauty & the Best
Its all so magical!

Quote:
Maybe... just maybe... there is a fifth dimension beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call..... the Twilight Zone.
LOL! Thanks I needed that

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneypeach View Post
Is anyone else going on to Vancouver on the CA Coast cruise?
Yes, i'll be doing the CA coast B2B with the WBPC...
Happy Birthday!

Peach[/QUOTE]

How nice! We've done a pacific coastal from Vancouver to San Diego on Celebrity and it was one of the best cruises we've done. So much fun to travel in California!

Quote:
Originally Posted by *tinker*bell* View Post
Not a problem take your time

I LOVE Wicked, and am looking forward to seeing Oz but mainly because of the cast I don't know that I'll love the plot
Thanks! I'm just going through one of those times where everything seems to be happening all at once - just trying to make sure I don't drop any of the things that I am juggling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by annichan View Post
For us it was about two hours total that we had to spend off the ship, but then it was cool being allowed back onto an empty ship ... Not a single saved lounger around the Adult Pool!
Exactly! We spent our whole "turnaround" day on a recent b2b Dream cruise in the adult pool. It was absolutely serene for about 3 hours and then more people started coming through, but still it was uncrowded. good times!

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by aan1701 View Post
Yes, my experiences echo what Meghatron is saying. Because there are far fewer kids the cove seems more crowded than usual. Same with the adult only shows at night. On Hawaii they did a lot of these in the Walt Disney Theater because Wavebands was just way to small. When people don't have to worry about the kids I guess they show up to these things.

Agree with everyone else who said the adult areas tend to get more crowded on this type of cruise. But even so, they are not all THAT crowded.
Old 02-23-2013, 08:12 PM   #927
Chaopolis
Earning My Ears

For those of you that have taken the Tasting classes: do they fill up quick? how much are they (nominal fee)? are they worth it?
Old 02-23-2013, 08:20 PM   #928
Mom323
Founding member of FOG

Quote:
For those of you that have taken the Tasting classes: do they fill up quick? how much are they (nominal fee)? are they worth it?
Check out the private mixology in the first post of this thread. :

Tastings tend it fill up fast. The usually run about $15 per person. On the longer cruises they may offer more of them. They are a lot of fun.
Old 02-23-2013, 09:05 PM   #929
jlmarr
You got that right

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom323 View Post
Be sure to go to deck three at some point going throught the locks you really get a feel,for how far we drop or rise.
That's what I've heard. On the Promenade Deck (3) you'll be able to face the concrete wall of the lock (kind of like the start/finish of the submarines at Disneyland) and then experience the ship rising as the lock is flooded. Looking forward to our first PC cruise.
jlmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 09:27 PM   #930
aan1701
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlmarr
That's what I've heard. On the Promenade Deck (3) you'll be able to face the concrete wall of the lock (kind of like the start/finish of the submarines at Disneyland) and then experience the ship rising as the lock is flooded. Looking forward to our first PC cruise.
There is a great YouTube video of the Magic going through. Just search Disney Magic Panama Canal. It's close to ten min long. It's a good representation of what to expect.

DCL 14 Night Westbound Panama To my House. 5/14/05-5/28/05, DCL 11 Night Southern 9/17/06-9/28/06, 7 Night DCL Western 10/20/07, DCL 15 Night Westbound Panama to my house. 5/10/08-5/25/08, 7 Night to St. Croix for my Birthday 2/28/09, 7 night to the Western 10/17/09, Back to back on the Wonder 10/14/10 and 10/17/10, 15 night Panama Canal to Bring the Wonder to my home and her new Home 1/6/2011. 10/8/2011 Eastern on the Magic. 4/29/12 15 nights to Hawaii and back from my home in Los Angeles, 5/6/13 14 nights from Miami back to my home in Los Angeles via the Panama Canal, Premier Pass holder, DVC Member since 2008.
aan1701 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: