Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Meets
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-20-2013, 07:05 AM   #781
granmaz
Dis Veteran and Old Geezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by braysmommy View Post
We are also flying into FLL for a significant savings plus free bags. I have hired a private car for the 3 of us to the Marriott Biscayne Bay a lot of people also recommend SAS shuttle.
How much is your private car hire? We were thinking of the shuttle but a private car hire would be less hassle I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsMork View Post
Using Jrshuttle for $12 per person. Free shuttle from FLL to hotel, JR from hotel to port.
Angie, how come it is free from FLL to hotel? Are you staying in FL for the night rather than Miami?

granmaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 07:11 AM   #782
OKW Lover

Yes, we love Old Key West
Connoisseur of the fine things in life, and has the time to enjoy them (Just ask his wife)

Sounds like lots of people are using SAS. We're going to look into them as well.

Got another serious problem to discuss, where to buy wine to carry on board. If we land at FLL and take the hotel's (springhill suites) shuttle, then SAS the next morning to the ship I'm not seeing how we are going to be able to fine a store to buy wine at.
Register to remove

Old 02-20-2013, 07:12 AM   #783
granmaz
Dis Veteran and Old Geezer

At the other end of our cruise we have 4 nights booked at DL and have decided to go straight to NY from there.

I believe Long Beach Airport gets better reviews rather than LAX so would you recommend flying from there? We will probably book JetBlue as we are using them earlier from NY to FLL and the bag charges are good plus we can take 3 bags each if necessary. How long would transport take to get to there from DL? I know similar to from the port to DL but I can't remember how long that took.

Also a JetBlue query. Do you have to book and pay for your check in bags before arriving at the airport or can you do it then? We don't know how many bags we will have yet. When I booked our flights from NY I never saw anything about bags as I booked and then the e ticket says to check in at the machines so I wondered if I had missed something.

granmaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 07:32 AM   #784
whisler636
Earning My Ears

On-Line Check-In

Grrrr...Anyone else who can finally complete their on-line check-in getting internal service errors on DCL's website and are unable to start?

I was able to make port activity and adult dinner reservations so I guess it is not a total loss.

Was excited to finally get the ball rolling...hate getting stuck. I went into work early this morning to log in figuring 6:30 a.m. Eastern would be a great time in that most of the west coasters would still be in bed.

Guess I will try back at lunch.

Patti
whisler636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 07:34 AM   #785
OKW Lover

Yes, we love Old Key West
Connoisseur of the fine things in life, and has the time to enjoy them (Just ask his wife)

Quote:
Originally Posted by granmaz View Post
At the other end of our cruise we have 4 nights booked at DL and have decided to go straight to NY from there.

I believe Long Beach Airport gets better reviews rather than LAX so would you recommend flying from there? We will probably book JetBlue as we are using them earlier from NY to FLL and the bag charges are good plus we can take 3 bags each if necessary. How long would transport take to get to there from DL? I know similar to from the port to DL but I can't remember how long that took.
The preferred local airport for folks going to/from DL is Orange County/John Wayne airport (airport code SNA). Sometimes prices are significantly cheaper out of LAX. Sometimes not so much of a difference.

How long it takes to get to SNA from DL depends a little on the time of day/day of the week. If you're going at rush hour on a work day its probably an hour. If off-times its probably 30 minutes.
Old 02-20-2013, 07:45 AM   #786
cwdefouw
DVC Member since 1999

Quote:
Originally Posted by braysmommy View Post
We are also flying into FLL for a significant savings plus free bags. I have hired a private car for the 3 of us to the Marriott Biscayne Bay a lot of people also recommend SAS shuttle.
We are flying into FLL and staying at Marriott Biscayne Bay as well for two nights before the cruise. We are looking at a private car from Go Airport Shuttle to the hotel.

The Go Airport Shuttle Private Sedan, is $80.50 including Grat. one way from FLL to the Marriott Biscayne Bay.

Last edited by cwdefouw; 02-20-2013 at 07:50 AM.
cwdefouw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 07:57 AM   #787
braysmommy
DIS Veteran

We are using Johns Car Service 85.00 for town car for the 3 of us more then SAS but not having to wait or stop at other hotels worth it for us. We will get to hotel around dinner time and DS will want to swim and I want to run to Publix before dark.

http://www.johnscarservice.com/

Upcoming Southern Caribbean 1/16.
braysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 08:33 AM   #788
GoinPlaces63
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by braysmommy
We are using Johns Car Service 85.00 for town car for the 3 of us more then SAS but not having to wait or stop at other hotels worth it for us. We will get to hotel around dinner time and DS will want to swim and I want to run to Publix before dark.

http://www.johnscarservice.com/
The nice thing about Johns is that they offer a 20 minute grocery stop... ;-)
GoinPlaces63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:27 AM   #789
Politzania
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKW Lover View Post
Booked our flight for the beginning of the cruise. There was a significant difference between flying into MIA and FLL. By flying into FLL we are saving over $160/person. For the two of us I figured that was more than enough to pay for transportation between our FLL hotel (Springhill Suites) to the Port of Miami.

I know that others are flying into FLL as well. How are you getting from there to the port?
We are flying in to FLL on Sunday, staying at a Holiday Inn Express near the airport and have a shuttle booked with MJS Transportation (http://gomjstrans.com/) for 11:00 at the hotel - planning a grocery stop for last minute items before arriving at the Port of Miami sometime around 11:30 - 11:45.
Old 02-20-2013, 09:54 AM   #790
Mom323
Founding member of FOG

I posted this on FB and now here.

Since many of us appear to be using SAS from FLL to their hotel on the 5th, maybe we could coordinate a group shuttle and avoid stopping at numerous hotels along the way. So, we are arriving at FLL (southwest) on the 5th at 12:45. We are staying at the Doubletree Biscayne Bay Miami. Right next door to the Marriott Biscayne Bay. Anyone interested?

It wouldn't have to be SAS it could be any company.
Mom323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:02 AM   #791
kmitchel
DIS Veteran

If anyone wants to read my blog from our 2008 PC cruise, here is the link. Some of the ports are the same and the time of year is almost the same as well.

http://shipofthieves.blogspot.com/20...1_archive.html
kmitchel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:05 AM   #792
neg58
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Politzania View Post
We are flying in to FLL on Sunday, staying at a Holiday Inn Express near the airport and have a shuttle booked with MJS Transportation (http://gomjstrans.com/) for 11:00 at the hotel - planning a grocery stop for last minute items before arriving at the Port of Miami sometime around 11:30 - 11:45.
I think you are a little optimistic in your timing. If you are staying at the same Holiday Inn Exp. that I stayed in, it's north of the airport, and you're about 40 miles from the port. I drove it on a Sunday morning, and while I'm not the fastest driver in the world, and I didn't know where I was headed, I didn't make any mistakes and it still took about 45 minutes to get through traffic. If you add a grocery stop, I think it will take you more than half an hour.

Nancy
neg58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:15 AM   #793
Lexa
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom323 View Post
I posted this on FB and now here.

Since many of us appear to be using SAS from FLL to their hotel on the 5th, maybe we could coordinate a group shuttle and avoid stopping at numerous hotels along the way. So, we are arriving at FLL (southwest) on the 5th at 12:45. We are staying at the Doubletree Biscayne Bay Miami. Right next door to the Marriott Biscayne Bay. Anyone interested?

It wouldn't have to be SAS it could be any company.
We are arriving way later so we can't catch a ride with you guys.....still using same SAS and staying at the same hotel. We will arrive at FLL at 4:40pm.

Aleksandra , Chris , Luke :, Maya

May 7-14 2011 - Our 1st cruise with DCL - Disney Magic to Eastern Caribbean
April 29 -May 14 2012 - Inaugural sailing on Disney Wonder to Hawaii
May 6 - May 20 2013 - Disney Wonder Westbound through Panama Canal

May 1 - May 15 2015 - Another trip on Disney Wonder Westbound through Panama Canal
Lexa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:19 AM   #794
Mom323
Founding member of FOG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexa View Post
We are arriving way later so we can't catch a ride with you guys.....still using same SAS and staying at the same hotel. We will arrive at FLL at 4:40pm.
It may not work for us, but who knows maybe you will find someone.
Mom323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:50 AM   #795
MrsMork
Proud Old Geezer

Quote:
How much is your private car hire? We were thinking of the shuttle but a private car hire would be less hassle I guess.

Angie, how come it is free from FLL to hotel? Are you staying in FL for the night rather than Miami?
The hotel offers a free shuttle from the airport to the hotel. Yes, we are staying the night in FLL rather than Miami. Shuttle to Miami in the morning. I asked for a 10 am pick up and since we have 6 we will not share a shuttle with other pick ups.

Quote:

Also a JetBlue query. Do you have to book and pay for your check in bags before arriving at the airport or can you do it then? We don't know how many bags we will have yet. When I booked our flights from NY I never saw anything about bags as I booked and then the e ticket says to check in at the machines so I wondered if I had missed something.
Marilyn, last PC we rented a car for a day took PJ to Long Beach for her flight back to NY. (after we helped her work on her bucket list with a trip to Sees Candy and Sonic!) Long Beach is a small airport and VERY easy. It is closer than LAX to DL and at least as close as Santa Ana. It will be a great choice using Jet Blue. You can get Super Shuttle, Karmel Shuttle or a car service to get you there. I would think a taxi would not even be too much. I did a mapquest search and by surface streets it is less than 14 miles, by freeway less than 20 miles from Grand Californian to Long Beach airport. Both ways are about a half hour.

Disney Cruise 1999, 2000, 2002, twice in 2003, 10 Day 2004, Dec 2005, Dec 2006, Dec 2007, WB PC May 2008,WBTA 2010,Alaska 2011,Hawaii 2012,WBPC May2013,Jan 2014,Oct 2104,Dec 2014
MrsMork is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: