Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Meets
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-17-2013, 02:18 AM   #736
Meghatron
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by aan1701
I would love that. They really dropped here in L.A. Of course the problems in Mexico did not help and those started after the signed their lease with the port. Still, I would love for them to come back.
There is no reason they can't do 3/4 night cruises to Catalina and Ensenada. The mistake was only offering 7-night cruises, especially during the school year. For some bizarre reason they forgot that a new product has to be offered in sampler size in order to get a customer base. I got two other families to book the 2014 2-nighter on opening day with me, and am working on several more. All of them heard the same pitch from me about the MRs for two years but couldn't commit the total price or time investment. It was incredibly stupid on DCL's parts to not take into account how much of the Disneyland population are annual passholders who have had huge yearly price jumps for their passes thrown at them the last few years and are doubting the cost value of their Disney investment, not to mention the arrival of AP events that are extra cost and the parks closing early to everyone for ticketed events that are also more money. They are not going to shell out $3k on a cruise and use up vacation time on something they have not already experienced. 2/3/4 nighters would have been a much easier sell. The 2-nighter, which is not even on the official flyer, is apparently going very fast just by word of mouth.
Meghatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 02:39 AM   #737
aan1701
DIS Veteran

Meghatron. I know you are a huge advocate if the 2 night cruise. While I agree that more of them would have been a great way to introduce the CA and west coast to DCL, they are in my opinion, way to expensive. We looked at adding the two night to our WBPC next year and decided in comparison to what we are paying per night for 15 nights, it's a rip off. I know you are really looking forward to it, I hope you have fun. But when they are asking 250 a night for a inside that's kinda high to me. Still enjoy. Also on a different note I think DCL is making a lot of mistakes these days. Like not offering transfers between Ft. Lauderdale and the port of Miami or Hobby airport and the port of Galveston, or even San Diego and Disneyland are all huge mistakes on there part. Also I don't like the cruise choices from Miami. They really had a chance to offer some great trips and fell flat.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using DISBoards
DCL 14 Night Westbound Panama To my House. 5/14/05-5/28/05, DCL 11 Night Southern 9/17/06-9/28/06, 7 Night DCL Western 10/20/07, DCL 15 Night Westbound Panama to my house. 5/10/08-5/25/08, 7 Night to St. Croix for my Birthday 2/28/09, 7 night to the Western 10/17/09, Back to back on the Wonder 10/14/10 and 10/17/10, 15 night Panama Canal to Bring the Wonder to my home and her new Home 1/6/2011. 10/8/2011 Eastern on the Magic. 4/29/12 15 nights to Hawaii and back from my home in Los Angeles, 5/6/13 14 nights from Miami back to my home in Los Angeles via the Panama Canal, Premier Pass holder, DVC Member since 2008.
aan1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-17-2013, 03:05 AM   #738
Meghatron
DIS Veteran

I know the 2-nighter is not for everyone. But the only reason we could even consider the up front cost of a 14-night cruise was the fact that we had been saving up for a multi-family vacation for five years along with air miles to get there, the fact that taking time off from school and work was possible, AND the 50% discount. If there weren't a market for 3/4 night cruises, DCL wouldn't offer them in Florida. Some people would rather take shorter cruises more often, for whatever reason. Relying on people having saved for years to sail 7+ nights on the west coast, or do one-way repos that require air travel, clearly does not make enough money to keep a ship in LA.

All I'm saying is that from a market standpoint, it was incredibly stupid to open with the more expensive, riskier product and I cannot fathom what they were thinking. I want to book the 2014 4-nighter from Vancouver to San Diego for my birthday but the travel expenses, at the lowest possible prices I can estimate, make it comparable per person per day to the 2-nighter. So more money upfront for the same value. If I go with Disney air to cut my risk, it's even less value for my money than the 2-nighter. Having used up our miles for the WBPC this year, travel for four people easily eats up the value of the lower per person per day cost of the longer cruises, plus the loss of pulling us from school and work.

Longer cruises works for you because you work for an airline and get a break on travel expenses. And that's perfectly fine. But for a company like DCL to not take into account what a typical family is looking for has been boggling for me to watch. I want to take DS on a cruise for his 3rd birthday but it's not going to happen, because our only options August are going to be the two most expensive itineraries the classics offer (Europe and Alaska) or the over-inflated prices for the Dream and Fantasy. ALL of which will require travel expenses on top of cruise fare and tips.
Old 02-17-2013, 03:14 AM   #739
aan1701
DIS Veteran

It's not that the 2 night does not work for me, it's the price per night that doesn't work for me yes working for a airline helps, but one reason we will never get to do a WBTA on DCL is the airfare costs to Europe. I am not going to fly stand by to get to Europe to get a cruise. When we almost did the WBTA in 2010 we could have gotten a rate similar to what we are getting on this one. The only problem was the airfare now was costing the same as the cruise. No way we could justify it. Also I can do the longer cruises cause SWA very generously gives me four weeks vacation. It took ten years to get that. For us it's about price per night making sense. We feel that about 150 per night is our go/no go point.

DCL 14 Night Westbound Panama To my House. 5/14/05-5/28/05, DCL 11 Night Southern 9/17/06-9/28/06, 7 Night DCL Western 10/20/07, DCL 15 Night Westbound Panama to my house. 5/10/08-5/25/08, 7 Night to St. Croix for my Birthday 2/28/09, 7 night to the Western 10/17/09, Back to back on the Wonder 10/14/10 and 10/17/10, 15 night Panama Canal to Bring the Wonder to my home and her new Home 1/6/2011. 10/8/2011 Eastern on the Magic. 4/29/12 15 nights to Hawaii and back from my home in Los Angeles, 5/6/13 14 nights from Miami back to my home in Los Angeles via the Panama Canal, Premier Pass holder, DVC Member since 2008.
Old 02-17-2013, 03:49 AM   #740
Meghatron
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by aan1701
It's not that the 2 night does not work for me, it's the price per night that doesn't work for me
Yes, I understand that. My point is that when I have to take travel expenses into account for the total per person per night cost for my family, the 2-nighter out of my local port is the same per person per night as pretty much any longer cruise DCL has to offer. This year on the WBPC is an exception because of many years of saved up air miles. After this trip, the per person-per night goes back to being out of reach except for shorter, local cruises that do not take our vacation days or risk my and my child's education. Since we used the bulk of our savings on paying the VGT rate for the WBPC, we don't have reserves to pay for a longer cruise without starting the 5-year saving process all over again. If DCL would give us the 3/4 night cruises out of LA or SD, I could take my family on vacation once a year or more.
Old 02-17-2013, 04:06 AM   #741
aan1701
DIS Veteran

Well with the 2 nights I understand where you are coming from. I will agree as well that DCL should have offered shorter cruises out here. I would have loved to to do a five night out of here. Also I think if they did the CA coastal cruises sooner they might still be here. I think that was a great itinerary. I could not take advantage cause I had prior plans for WDW. Anyway like I said I hope you will enjoy the 2 night.

Old 02-17-2013, 01:24 PM   #742
cruzisme
Earning My Ears

Making magnets

I know about the magnetic paper but do you have several designs that print out on 1 sheet?
Confused
cruzisme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 01:25 PM   #743
ESFC
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoinPlaces63 View Post
Kendall County... What about you?
We live in Urbana
ESFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 03:00 PM   #744
Lexa
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruzisme View Post
I know about the magnetic paper but do you have several designs that print out on 1 sheet?
Confused
What I do is open several designs I want, create a new image in size of a letter size paper and copy them on this empty 8.5x11 image. This way they print on one sheet. Depend on a size of a magnet I want there is two, three or more magnets on one sheet.

Aleksandra , Chris , Luke :, Maya

May 7-14 2011 - Our 1st cruise with DCL - Disney Magic to Eastern Caribbean
April 29 -May 14 2012 - Inaugural sailing on Disney Wonder to Hawaii
May 6 - May 20 2013 - Disney Wonder Westbound through Panama Canal

May 1 - May 15 2015 - Another trip on Disney Wonder Westbound through Panama Canal
Lexa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 03:17 PM   #745
Beauty & the Best
Its all so magical!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruzisme View Post
Confused
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexa View Post
What I do is open several designs I want, create a new image in size of a letter size paper and copy them on this empty 8.5x11 image. This way they print on one sheet. Depend on a size of a magnet I want there is two, three or more magnets on one sheet.
Ditto this. I try to fit as many magnets one one page as I possibly can. That magnet paper is expensive!
Old 02-17-2013, 03:46 PM   #746
LindaBabe

DIS Cast Member
Let them try to get me out - heheh

I don't print on Magnet paper but on regular cardstock. Then I cut the designs out and arrange them economically on scrap magnets or magnetic vent cover and cut them out again, with scissors. The printable magnet paper is not very strong magnet and IS very expensive.
Old 02-17-2013, 04:11 PM   #747
Meghatron
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaBabe
I don't print on Magnet paper but on regular cardstock. Then I cut the designs out and arrange them economically on scrap magnets or magnetic vent cover and cut them out again, with scissors. The printable magnet paper is not very strong magnet and IS very expensive.
We also do the cardstock printing and then attach much stronger magnets to the back. Works perfectly.
Old 02-17-2013, 05:52 PM   #748
neg58
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meghatron View Post
We also do the cardstock printing and then attach much stronger magnets to the back. Works perfectly.
And the doors on the Wonder require VERY strong magnets. When we were on, only the flat magnets with little weight to them would hold on the doors, even the inside door. I had bought magnets with hooks and planned to hang my lanyard on them on the inside of the door. Nope, the lanyard was too heavy. Bottle cap magnets didn't stay. The Mickey ears ones were okay, and a flat one was fine if the magnet covered the entire back.

Nancy
neg58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 06:51 PM   #749
Namsupak
DIS Veteran

FE update:
I sent out a few PMs to people that I haven't heard from in a while or haven't been on the thread in a while. Just want to make sure they're still participating. I'll send out a group FE list once we know for sure. Or if anyone can help me out and let me know about the following people...

SanDiegoSteph
JGross24

WDW: 1998, March 2002, Dec 2006, Dec 2007, May 2008, Sept 2008, Dec 2009, Sept 2010, Jan 2011, July 2011, Jan 2012, Feb 2012, Aug 2012, Dec 2012
DCL: June 2008, Feb 2009, Dec 2009, Nov 2010, Jan 2011 (MV Dream), WBTA Sept 2011, Dec 2011, NYE Dream 2011-12, Jan 2012, March 2012 MV Fantasy, Dec 2012 Fantasy, May 2013 WBPC, Jan 2014
DLP: Sept 5, 2011
Coming Up: Sept 2014 WBTA
Namsupak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 07:27 PM   #750
Lexa
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Namsupak View Post
FE update:
I sent out a few PMs to people that I haven't heard from in a while or haven't been on the thread in a while. Just want to make sure they're still participating. I'll send out a group FE list once we know for sure. Or if anyone can help me out and let me know about the following people...

SanDiegoSteph
JGross24
I sent Steph a message on FB after I sent you an email with question....never heard back from her. I don't have her email.

Aleksandra , Chris , Luke :, Maya

May 7-14 2011 - Our 1st cruise with DCL - Disney Magic to Eastern Caribbean
April 29 -May 14 2012 - Inaugural sailing on Disney Wonder to Hawaii
May 6 - May 20 2013 - Disney Wonder Westbound through Panama Canal

May 1 - May 15 2015 - Another trip on Disney Wonder Westbound through Panama Canal
Lexa is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: